Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Why does species clause still apply to regional forms?
I think it's rather clear that regional forms of mons are different enough from each other to be considered different mons.
To me it seems like this is an oversight that's not been addressed due to a lack of interest from players, or perhaps so as to not shake up what is a fairly stable metagame.
But if there is some other logic behind this application of species clause I'd be interested to find out what that is.
This is just how it works on cartridge and since Pokemon Showdown is a similator it takes most elements implemented on cartridge. Now, you could do some sort of species clause that counts regional forms as different Pokemon, but this seems very specific (and a general rules counting all forms of a Pokemon as different Pokemon won't make much sense because you would be able to play several Silvally/Arceus for instance) and most of the time Regional forms are still very close to the other form with just a different typing and some new Moves.

I’ve seen multiple VR comments about double steel cores being everywhere/very common, what mons make up these cores that are being referred to?

Reactions: Oqo

Windingsss

shine like jewelry
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I’ve seen multiple VR comments about double steel cores being everywhere/very common, what mons make up these cores that are being referred to?
stuff like heatran + ferro usually make the known double steel cores because they are able to act as a safety net for teams that look for checks to stuff like lele, hail, special attackers, etc, and these mons as a whole are v good because of their access to different tools to force progress. however other steels like melmetal can be used for the core and it will still work but overall ferrotran is very annoying and succesful

What changed regarding g-zap to result in its new increase in usage and suggestions of a rise in the VR?
By that I mean, were there metagame shifts (like an increase in the use of mons that it beats) or changes in how it's used (similar to nevermelt ice kyurem), or something else entirely?
Asking bc a few months ago it was mostly agreed to be an inferior breaker and an inferior abuser of FS compared to mons like Kart, Urshifu, and Weavile. But now it seems to be generally accepted as a solid OU pick and idk why.

What changed regarding g-zap to result in its new increase in usage and suggestions of a rise in the VR?
By that I mean, were there metagame shifts (like an increase in the use of mons that it beats) or changes in how it's used (similar to nevermelt ice kyurem), or something else entirely?
Asking bc a few months ago it was mostly agreed to be an inferior breaker and an inferior abuser of FS compared to mons like Kart, Urshifu, and Weavile. But now it seems to be generally accepted as a solid OU pick and idk why.
A lot of teams are commonly seeing running double steel-cores which Gapdos shreds through easily and is overall a deadly breaker that something will take a lot of damage from it seeing a rise in viability. It becomes deadlier in hazard stack making kills easier to claim in where it could possibly miss and punishes Defoggers from Defiant making it risky to remove hazards. Overall Zapdos-Galar has become a strong wallbreaker in the tier and can even function as an offensive pivot with U-turn that many teams don't have proper switching to.

A lot of teams are commonly seeing running double steel-cores which Gapdos shreds through easily and is overall a deadly breaker that something will take a lot of damage from it seeing a rise in viability. It becomes deadlier in hazard stack making kills easier to claim in where it could possibly miss and punishes Defoggers from Defiant making it risky to remove hazards. Overall Zapdos-Galar has become a strong wallbreaker in the tier and can even function as an offensive pivot with U-turn that many teams don't have proper switching to.
great answer, just to add to it, everyone and their mother is using lando-t, which gzap can abuse heavily, as basically nothing switches into band after it gets a defiant boost

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
people starting to abuse 90% lando usage while realizing it has no actual switchins, just regen pivots at best. defensive typing makes it an ok grass check in general on offense as well

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion

use the "change name" button at the bottom of the settings button in the top right (or the /nick command) to use a new nickname with the suspect's prefix. no email addresses are required to make PS alts - all you need is your one smogon account and one registered PS account with the reqs

I was seeing this nasty Block/Curse/Darkest Lariat/Rest Snorlax set in the NU thread the other day and that got me thinking. Would a similar set be viable in OU. After some thinking, I don't think any kind of Block+set up set is viable in OU for physical set-uppers, because of 1. Sacred Sword Kartana and 2. Surging Strike Urshifu both negating physical boosts in defense. But then, how about special set-uppers. Does something like

:ss/slowbro: @ Leftovers

Bold nature
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HPs / 252 Def / 4 Spe
-Block
-Rest
-Scald
-Calm Mind

seem remotely viable? Oblivious over Regenerator because it blocks Taunt, meaning you can set up with a Blocked Tapu Fini/Heatran and laugh at them.
Okay, after a few more games with this dude, just wanna apologize to that one guy with whom I played a PP stalling war of over 100 turns with his Toxapex (that he ended up winning because I screwed with Toxic). This set actually works; but I felt dirty using it. Battles take ages, and I've been thrown a certain number of "bruh" at, which I'm infering means something along the lines of "this sucks". It was a fun experiment, but I'll leave it at that.

ironwater

⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
What kind of teammates would Choice Band Dragapult appreciate and what team archetype would it fall on?
Choice Band Pult is hard to justify over a Choice Specs one. I used one in a Ghost spam team alongside with Blacephalon to lure special walls, but even here a Choice Specs set may have put more work. Luring special walls for another special breaker is still something this set aims to do, so you can pair it with a good special breaker. You also want to have teammates who help to beat Fairy and Steel types, as with Choice Band Pult you want to be able to spam Dragon Darts and things like Melmetal and Tapu Fini are extremely annoying. Lastly, I would say this fit more in balance kind of team, just like the Choice Specs one, because in a more offensive team you will often want to go for a Dragon Dance set instead.

airfare

OUPL Champion
Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpD / 168 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Knock Off
- U-turn

customize coverage how u want, superpower/icy wind/weather ball/other misc coverage are all viable options

I'm coming back after 6 months of inactivity...Back on that day, I was playing sand, but i've seen on FB that Excadrill dropped to UU and that it is not a viable archetype anymore.

So, I'd like to ask what it is being played at this moment and what common playstyles are being used right now.

Thank you :blobuwu:

I'm coming back after 6 months of inactivity...Back on that day, I was playing sand, but i've seen on FB that Excadrill dropped to UU and that it is not a viable archetype anymore.

So, I'd like to ask what it is being played at this moment and what common playstyles are being used right now.

Thank you :blobuwu:
trendy mons lately are blacephalon, gapdos, eleki, gmolt, while playstyles you see bo, hail, offense, rain, and occasionally stall

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Is there a physically defensive spread for our most hated durian, Ferrothorn, that also allows it to handle specs Dragapult?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Is there a physically defensive spread for our most hated durian, Ferrothorn, that also allows it to handle specs Dragapult?
Not if it's flamethrower, but otherwise, yea

If you run 156 SDef, you live 2 modest specs SBall after a Spike (and also the same for timid, after rocks, etc.), modest LO lele Focus from full, and 2 nevermelt kyurem ice beam after sr while still having enough to go +Def and chew Earthquakes and whatnot comfortably.

Why do mons like Torn and other mons use Modest/Adamant instead of Timid/Jolly? Doesn't it give up important speed tiers like the 110s/Kart/Blaceph for Torn?

Windingsss

shine like jewelry
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why do mons like Torn and other mons use Modest/Adamant instead of Timid/Jolly? Doesn't it give up important speed tiers like the 110s/Kart/Blaceph for Torn?
im not rly sure what does this question mean because a) i've never seen a modest / adamant tornadus-t and b) you're lacking examples. its a bit hard to answer because there are multiple cases where a pokemon would choose a power-boosting nature instead of a speed-boosting nature. most known cases are weavile and dragapult around tornadus-t's speed tier and its because weavile does a fuckton of damage with adamant + band and modest pult is something that has seen usage sometimes but not rly viable.

overall, pokemon that go for power instead of speed are there to wallbreak, not to sweep / clean in most cases. take modest lele / kyu as an example.

im not rly sure what does this question mean because a) i've never seen a modest / adamant tornadus-t and b) you're lacking examples. its a bit hard to answer because there are multiple cases where a pokemon would choose a power-boosting nature instead of a speed-boosting nature. most known cases are weavile and dragapult around tornadus-t's speed tier and its because weavile does a fuckton of damage with adamant + band and modest pult is something that has seen usage sometimes but not rly viable.

overall, pokemon that go for power instead of speed are there to wallbreak, not to sweep / clean in most cases. take modest lele / kyu as an example.
I swear I've heard of people using Modest Torn-T before, and I guess since you've never heard of it Im right to be confused by it. Kyurem/Lele are other examples tho as giving up speed tiers for power really confuses me as it leaves you open to more faster mons that can beat you.

Follow up question though; If Modest Lele and Kyurem are used a lot, why don't I see many Adamant Splashifu's? Is there a very specific mon it's trying to outspeed that the others aren't, or have I just somehow never seen one and they exist?

Katy

Banned deucer.

Tornadus-Ts usual nature is timid, so it stays above Pokemon such as Timid Blacephalon, Jolly Kartana, Timid Keldeo, and other Pokemon in this Speed tier. There are no examples I think which makes Adamant / Jolly Tornadus-T good. Unless you run a pure physical set, then it can be beneficial to run Jolly to still stay above those aforementioned examples. The thing is Tornadus-T capitalizes better from its natural great Special Attack stat. Some Tornadus-T (support versions) can run Superpower to lure in and hit specially defensive Pokemon like Heatran way harder, but even then, the nature stays Timid.

There are Pokemon however which run Modest / Adamant coupled with a Choice Item; Examples of this are Modest Choice Specs Tapu Lele, Modest Choice Specs Kyurem, and Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar. Some Pokemon outside of Choice Items can also use a Adamant / Modest nature, one example is Adamant Heavy-Duty Boots Weavile.

There is one example of a Pokemon, which runs Modest on Choice Scarf to contribute more to the power but it also acts as a great Speed control, which is Tapu Lele. This set can run Future Sight as example and can still acts as a great Speed control, however, this set misses out on Arctozolt under hail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)