Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

question: what’s a good check for meowscarada (both defensive and offensive). I kinda hate it so I want a check for it to put on my team

I have a question to get a better understanding of the current metagame, why does Sun Hatterene runs Nuzzle most of the time, when in almost every other strategy the CM 3 attacks set is usually the most used? Is it to allow Banded Moon and Specs Wake to sweep more easily?
Also want to add that Nuzzle is unique in that it is a "status" move that can paralyze Gholdengo and other Magic Bounce users and goes through Taunt.

question: what’s a good check for meowscarada (both defensive and offensive). I kinda hate it so I want a check for it to put on my team
Defensively Amoonguss and Corviknight do fine, though Corviknight has to be worry of the rare Thunder Punch.

Defensive Volcarona is a good offensive answer. It can be used defensively too to punish U-turn, but doesn't really enjoy potentially losing its boots. Glimmora and Dragonite also do decent enough.

Dragonite is for sure one of them. He doesn’t take much damage from FT and can leave her seriously damaged with extreme speed.

Let’s say, Raichu Alola got an evolution with an ability called Supra Surge Surfer of Apocalypse. That ability would rise all stats by 3 stages if sun and electric terrain are active. That example might be a little far fetched but, if that mon was too powerful for Ubers, due to the easiness of setting Sun and ETerrain but very weak in OU due to the lack of good setters, could the Ubers council ban Gorochu-Alola or its ability without affecting OU?

Let’s say, Raichu Alola got an evolution with an ability called Supra Surge Surfer of Apocalypse. That ability would rise all stats by 3 stages if sun and electric terrain are active. That example might be a little far fetched but, if that mon was too powerful for Ubers, due to the easiness of setting Sun and ETerrain but very weak in OU due to the lack of good setters, could the Ubers council ban Gorochu-Alola or its ability without affecting OU?
Not a member of the council but this in an interesting question so I will post my take on it.
With your example, it most likely would be banned since if a mon is too strong even for ubers with certain conditions then OU players will run sub optimal teams just to get access to that mon on all his potential. So it would be banned too since still would be possible to get sun and electric terrain in OU.
Now, for the case where the set up for a mon to be too OP even for Ubers standards but is not possible in ubers (like having all the aura abilities users on your team) I would like to know the council answer.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
The question is a bit confusing with the way that you worded it (banning something without affecting OU?), but the answer to your question would probably be yes. It'd obviously depend on how strong the mon is, if that specific pokemon doesn't have realistic counterplay under the very unique conditions for it to prosper, there is a good enough chance that the council would quickban it. However this would only be if the pokemon itself becomes overbearing due to the ability, an ability ban almost never happens unless it is proven to be broken on multiple users. (Denial cases include stuff like Libero on Cinderace, or Gorilla Tactics on GDarm. Abilities that have been banned include Shadow Tag and Arena Trap, which made pokemon like Trapinch actually viable due to the overbearing nature of trapping.).
Generally smogon tends to lean on Pokemon bans, so in this theoretical instance, it would ultimately depend with exactly how strong this theoretical Raichu evolution if both sun and E-Terrain are up.

The question is a bit confusing with the way that you worded it (banning something without affecting OU?), but the answer to your question would probably be yes. It'd obviously depend on how strong the mon is, if that specific pokemon doesn't have realistic counterplay under the very unique conditions for it to prosper, there is a good enough chance that the council would quickban it. However this would only be if the pokemon itself becomes overbearing due to the ability, an ability ban almost never happens unless it is proven to be broken on multiple users. (Denial cases include stuff like Libero on Cinderace, or Gorilla Tactics on GDarm. Abilities that have been banned include Shadow Tag and Arena Trap, which made pokemon like Trapinch actually viable due to the overbearing nature of trapping.).
Generally smogon tends to lean on Pokemon bans, so in this theoretical instance, it would ultimately depend with exactly how strong this theoretical Raichu evolution if both sun and E-Terrain are up.
I THINK the question is effectively "is it possible to ban something from Ubers without it being banned from the lower Usage Based tiers?", which I guess is a fair thing to wonder about given Ubers doesn't work on the exact same tiering rules as the others

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Where did ChainChomp get its name from? (don't say the Mario enemy)
As someone who used to play DPP back in the day I can assist with this since it gets asked all the time:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/chain-chomp.25978/

Surgo was the first user who threw the name around to reference MixChomp. This is the original post where the term "Chain Chomp" got posted officially referenced the MixChomp set and it literally has no meaning it might be a Mario reference.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-garchomp-evo.17917/

Above is the first time it was referenced in general and it was a Mario reference where if Garchomp evolved it would look like Chain Chomp.

If something in OU is banned, that effect carries down to lower tiers (eg Baton Pass). To answer your question, I don’t think Ubers bans automatically carry down to OU the same way. Obviously if something is ban-worthy in Ubers it likely is in OU as well, but if it was thought not to be broken in OU I doubt we’d ban it just cuz it was banned in Ubers.

Is choice band or loaded dice the better item to run on breloom?
Loaded dice in most situations is better. It makes your technician boosted bullet seed hit extremely hard which is more important than boosting all moves like CC and Bulldoze like you would with Choice Band as you can still effectively use these other moves without the extra damage boost from CB and get the job done. For example by using Bulldoze once on the expected Gholdengo switch u then outspeed and 2ko anyway or by having stronger CC doesnt matter vs Corvikniht v much cuz u can just CC into Spore vs Corviknight and beat it anyway. Stronger bulletseed tho is good because it allows you to take down and punish harder the would be switches like Dragapult, Dragonite, fire types, Hatterene and tera fairy threats without the need to predict correctly all the time while still being able to maneuver and switch around your moves making full use of Spore that u cant with CB and thats one key thing Breloom does over other fighting types like offensive Tusk and Valiant that otherwise outclass it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)