Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Why is Sludge Bomb preferred over Sludge Wave on Toxtricity? I'd have assumed that the greater power was more important than the poison chance on an offensively oriented mon.

Why is Sludge Bomb preferred over Sludge Wave on Toxtricity? I'd have assumed that the greater power was more important than the poison chance on an offensively oriented mon.
It is because sludge bomb has a 30% poison chance as compared to a 10%. 5 base power doesnt make that much of a difference when it comes to damage output since its so small. The poison chance on walls that you otherwise may not beat alone is super valuable.

On Shift Gear Sludge Wave is definitively better since you want to have as much power as possible once you're setted up. But on Choice Specs, the 30% of poison is definitively interesting in order to cripple things like Rhyperior or Umbreon.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
I wouldn't say Sludge Wave is *definitely* better on Shift Gear sets. Sludge Bomb is more useful in my opinion because it specifically allows Toxtricity to more reliably beat Umbreon since it can't heal off Boomburst damage if it's poisoned. The only calc Sludge Wave impacts is on Sylveon - after rocks + protect, sylveon can sometimes live Sludge Bomb, but never Sludge Wave. It's not really relevant though because you wall most Sylveon sets.

Sludge Bomb is just generally a better move because it makes it more self sufficient and Sludge Wave doesn't impact any defensive calcs for the most part.

What makes Alolan Ninetales too good for UU and not other Pokemons with Snow Warning and Aurora Veil?
I feel like that’d be a question more suited for the UU SQSA thread but since you’re asking it here I figured I could answer it.

Alolan Ninetales is not broken in itself, but rather, enabled too many strong sweepers in UU to set up and wreak havoc. It’s high speed enabled fast setup for Aurora Veil, and honestly not too much outspend it.

Hope this helps.

Lily

is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
What makes Alolan Ninetales too good for UU and not other Pokemons with Snow Warning and Aurora Veil?
It's mostly its speed tier; it outspeeds the vast majority of the metagame, meaning it can set up aurora veil much more reliably than something like Abomasnow or Vanilluxe which can be easily anti-led by something like, say, Cobalion. It's also got a lot more utility than those pokemon by virtue of its Fairy typing, access to stuff like Hypnosis and Encore, but most of it is just down to its speed tier making it super easy to set up veil twice or more in a game

edit: i got sniped lol, also War Incarnate this is the uu sqsa thread

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Vaniluxe and Abomasnow can do the same, but they are pretty mediocre compared to Ninetales, Ninetales has acces to support moves on Encore and Hypnosis, a hight speed tier, things that Vaniluxxe and Abomasnow lack, Vaniluxe is slower and has just Taunt as suppirt move, Abomasnow is pretty slow and has a lot of weakness that are common.
Hope to answer your question :]
Edit: Didnt noticed that Lilburr already answered:puff:

I'm sorry,I had no idea, but..Rapid Spin increases Speed as well! Are there sets that take advantage of this? Now I really wanna try a bulky Starmie...

Last edited:

Lily

UU Leader
I'm sorry, i had no idea, but...rapid Spin increases Speed as well! Are there sets that take advantage of this? Now I really wanna try a bulky Starmie...
We don't have many spinners in UU, but this one is pretty decent:

Tsareena (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Rapid Spin

Triple Axel was a recent addition to Tsareena's movepool that lets it threaten the likes of Noivern, which Jolly Tsareena outspeeds after a boost. It's a bit difficult to fit on teams, but if you want to try an offensive spinner, this is the way to go!

Lily

UU Leader
Because I've seen posts about it but never an actual set, what's a good set for Assault Vest Reuniclus? And can it finally make use of regenerator?
Yes, it can!
There are a lot of customisable AV Reuni spreads and moveslots - for example, some people run a ton of extra spdef to deal with Toxtricity - but here's a pretty standard set you'll see running around.

Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Future Sight
- Knock Off
- Shadow Ball

You can opt to change some moves, Psychic is the only one that's really mandatory and Focus Blast can definitely be used if you need to, but this should be a good starting point. Shifting some spa into spdef is fine too, it's all dependent on your team and how reliant you are on Reuni to check things like Sylveon and Gardevoir.

The SmogDex UU analysis for Escavalier uses 4 attacks with Leftovers. Since Esca usually relies on Wish support for it's longevity anyway, wouldn't running AV be a better option?

Lily

UU Leader
The SmogDex UU analysis for Escavalier uses 4 attacks with Leftovers. Since Esca usually relies on Wish support for it's longevity anyway, wouldn't running AV be a better option?
Two things;
A) A lot of Escavaliers like to run Swords Dance since it means they can pressure stuff like Reuniclus and Necrozma a lot more, or Protect to stall more Leftovers recovery/scout Choice users, but also
B) Escavalier is really vulnerable to chip from hazards and stray Leaf Storms from Roserade and stuff, but it's pretty easy to actually recover like, back to full with just your Leftovers bc of how many switches Escav forces and how many Pokemon (like Roserade) just can't touch it.

Leftovers are generally better than AV bc it means you can actually check things for a much longer period of time than AV can since it's less vulnerable to passive damage, and also bc not every Escavalier team can fit Wish support. Hope that helps a bit :>

Why was Base Form Gyarados banned from Gen 7 UU
To be short, Gyarados was a massive threat thanks to Z-Move which allow it to get a great nuke (mostly on its Flying-type STAB with Z-Bounce). After a DD, Gyarados was able to outspeed the vast majority of the tier and threaten most Pokémon with Waterfall + Earthquake + Z-Bounce. The tier didn't have a lot of great Flying-type resists and that's why some Pokemon like Salamence or Dragonite were also banned. Gyarados was also able to run Taunt or Substitute to shut down / bother defensive threats such as Alomomola or Quagsire. Last but not least, the Bulk and typing of Gyarados were not awful and give it a resistance to the most common priority in the tier aka Scizor's Bullet Punch which means it was hard to Revenge Kill it once it was set up. It was also quite hard to prevent it to snowball thanks to DD + Z-Move + Moxie which allow it in most cases to be at +2 attack and +1 speed in only 2 turns if it managed to get a kill with its Z-Move after a DD.

DetectiveDaikon

formerly KantherTheCholricle
To be short, Gyarados was a massive threat thanks to Z-Move which allow it to get a great nuke (mostly on its Flying-type STAB with Z-Bounce). After a DD, Gyarados was able to outspeed the vast majority of the tier and threaten most Pokémon with Waterfall + Earthquake + Z-Bounce. The tier didn't have a lot of great Flying-type resists and that's why some Pokemon like Salamence or Dragonite were also banned. Gyarados was also able to run Taunt or Substitute to shut down / bother defensive threats such as Alomomola or Quagsire. Last but not least, the Bulk and typing of Gyarados were not awful and give it a resistance to the most common priority in the tier aka Scizor's Bullet Punch which means it was hard to Revenge Kill it once it was set up. It was also quite hard to prevent it to snowball thanks to DD + Z-Move + Moxie which allow it in most cases to be at +2 attack and +1 speed in only 2 turns if it managed to get a kill with its Z-Move after a DD.
What? thats ridiculous tho if they thought its Z-move was that big of a deal imo like its sorta in a obsolete position after Gyarados uses it but I can understand to Sub DD leftovers becoming an issue but man.. UU would've enjoyable with Gyarados...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)