Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Thank you for the quick response! What are you thoughts on the below moveset (Physical Attacker).

Protect
Crunch
Ice Fang
Earthquake or Psychic Fang
Sharpedo wants a mixed, but mostly special, set to get pass some of the more physically bulky pokemon in the tier, such as Cobalion. Water/Dark/Fighting coverage hits 90% of what you need to hit anyways, so stuff like EQ or Psychic fangs is kinda niche and not really worth running at this point. Ice Beam is also an option to secure the kill on Noivern, whereas with just Dark Pulse, you need chip. With Chansey in the tier now, however, I generally would recommend running Close Combat in order to be able to threaten it. Below is the standard Sharpedo set for the UU tier. Life Orb gives you more damage output at the cost of a little HP each turn, which isnt much of a sacrifice considering how frail Sharpedo is.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Close Combat / Ice Beam
- Protect

Hope this helps, enjoy!

I've been wamting to make a Grassy Terrain tewm work, but knew Rillaboom wasn't long for the tier the second he arrived. I was looking at some manual setters, and I think Whimsicott might work. Any thoughts? Access to U-Turn, plethora of disrupting moves like Leech Seed and Switcheroo, can shut down mons with Encore, hell might even be a match for some ofnthe metagwme with heavy hitting moves like Hurricane and Moonblast.

To compete with auto setters like Pincushion thing, I figure a secondary setter might work as well, not too sure.

EDIT:Forgive the typos, cell fone problems

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I've been wamting to make a Grassy Terrain tewm work, but knew Rillaboom wasn't long for the tier the second he arrived. I was looking at some manual setters, and I think Whimsicott might work. Any thoughts? Access to U-Turn, plethora of disrupting moves like Leech Seed and Switcheroo, can shut down mons with Encore, hell might even be a match for some ofnthe metagwme with heavy hitting moves like Hurricane and Moonblast.

To compete with auto setters like Pincushion thing, I figure a secondary setter might work as well, not too sure.

EDIT:Forgive the typos, cell fone problems

Thwackey @ Eviolite
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- U-turn / Swords Dance
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch / Swords Dance / Wood Hammer

Thwackey is definitively better than any manual Grassy Terrain inducer and has a little niche in Underused thanks to it.

Sharpedo wants a mixed, but mostly special, set to get pass some of the more physically bulky pokemon in the tier, such as Cobalion. Water/Dark/Fighting coverage hits 90% of what you need to hit anyways, so stuff like EQ or Psychic fangs is kinda niche and not really worth running at this point. Ice Beam is also an option to secure the kill on Noivern, whereas with just Dark Pulse, you need chip. With Chansey in the tier now, however, I generally would recommend running Close Combat in order to be able to threaten it. Below is the standard Sharpedo set for the UU tier. Life Orb gives you more damage output at the cost of a little HP each turn, which isnt much of a sacrifice considering how frail Sharpedo is.

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Close Combat / Ice Beam
- Protect

Hope this helps, enjoy!
Thank you!

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sharpedo-qc-2-2-gp-0-1.3670177/ - You can find an analyses for Sharpedo here, with descriptions.

Check here if you have questions about viable sets for certain Pokemon https://www.smogon.com/dex/ss/formats/uu/
Thank you!

How difficult is it to get reqs for the average player? I never tried getting reqs before since I'm not a huge smogon player and am busy/lazy irl but ive been quite bored since the quarantine started.

How difficult is it to get reqs for the average player? I never tried getting reqs before since I'm not a huge smogon player and am busy/lazy irl but ive been quite bored since the quarantine started.
I wouldn't say it's blatantly easy or difficult for an average player to get reqs. With the recent change to how people can gain reqs in X amount of games with Y GXE, it has become a bit easier for people to obtain them as shown here. Just get a hold of a few good teams, which you can find in the metagame thread, samples, and maybe the bazaar (Not all of them are guaranteed to be great) if you haven't got any of your own. You should focus on trying to get an early streak going for as long as possible, probably about 8/10-0, ideally more. Don't be too discouraged about taking too many losses in the middle/end of your run as I've seen enough people still get reqs with having over 10 losses on that account. It mainly depends on if you're willing to put in the time to play 50+ more games if so. I hope this helps.

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
During a suspect reqs can you still qualify could you still qualify if the tag UUL7 instead of UU7L?
Please be more careful about these things in future; I get that this suspect prefix was abnormal so your mistake is understandable, but you've gotta be 100% sure to read the suspect thread thoroughly!

Regardless, you can post your current reqs in the voter ID thread (assuming you got them already) and we'll decide whether to approve them on a case-by-case basis. I know this isn't the simple yes/no you were probably looking for, but that's how it is unfortunately :x Just be sure to pay more attention when making your suspect alts in the future!

clean

is a Tiering Contributor
OMPL Champion
With it looking pretty likely that Lycanroc-Dusk will be banned following the current suspect test, do we think Lycanroc-Day will hold any water in UU? It is certainly inferior without Tough Claws, but with an identical movepool, it certainly seems like it could be viable. I think Scarf Terrakion will probably replace Lycanroc-D on a lot of teams, but it obviously lacks the true priority move.

Is there a list of when UU Room does tournaments somewhere? I always see them posted after the fact, and the list on the main page of the thread doesn't seem to be updated.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Is there a list of when UU Room does tournaments somewhere? I always see them posted after the fact, and the list on the main page of the thread doesn't seem to be updated.
(I'm one of the UU RO's and the person who runs the UU room events system)

Essentially, although we'd love to be able to have a full on schedule pre planned with lots of tours, our hosting team is fairly limited. We try to advertise our tours 1-2 days in advance however, the more accurate source for checking this will be in the UU room itself by typing,

Code:
/roomevents
This will bring up a list of upcoming room events that will be occuring in the next day or two, automatically synced to your timezone. I'm currently quite busy irl lately so I can't advertise quite as much in advance as I'd like since idk my availability a lot of hte time, but Moutemoute tries to advertise his multiple days in advance most of the time.

Hope this clears it up. Ty for your feedback with the main thread, I'll try and keep that calender more updated when possible, but checking the roomevents in room should always be your go to as all hosts can edit this. I will also be able to start hosting tours more regularly in the next week or so, and will start planning these more in advance to keep the calender full :)

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
also gonna take this opportunity to plug the UU Discord! esta (or whoever else is hosting) always posts in the #ss_uu channel when they're about to start hosting the tour nights events, so you can see em there!

also:

With it looking pretty likely that Lycanroc-Dusk will be banned following the current suspect test, do we think Lycanroc-Day will hold any water in UU? It is certainly inferior without Tough Claws, but with an identical movepool, it certainly seems like it could be viable. I think Scarf Terrakion will probably replace Lycanroc-D on a lot of teams, but it obviously lacks the true priority move.
it's hard to say. a lot of lycanroc-dusk's niche is just how explosive it is and impossible to switch into, which lycanroc-midday just doesn't have bc no tough claws. it's entirely possible that it will become a viable (albeit pretty weak) breaker, but it's more likely that its longevity issues, lack of defensive utility, and poor immediate power will leave it useless :c

Now I have a rather simple question. I lurk nearly daily, post a Vileplume meme or two, buy mostly learn from here, since I haven't actually touched the competetive scene in a good long time, and it's about time I do.

So the question(s). How often do you guys cycle through teams? Do you have a wide variety of teams that you bust out? I figure that the question would be "how many" and not "do you have multiple teams". And last, do y'all have different teams for different archetypes, do you have a personal style that you stick too, or do you find it best to follow popular trends (I hear HO is in a good place)? The latter seems interesting, I get to stay fluid.

This goes to any who feels like answering, it'll really help in catching up to you whippersnappers .

Now I have a rather simple question. I lurk nearly daily, post a Vileplume meme or two, buy mostly learn from here, since I haven't actually touched the competetive scene in a good long time, and it's about time I do.

So the question(s). How often do you guys cycle through teams? Do you have a wide variety of teams that you bust out? I figure that the question would be "how many" and not "do you have multiple teams". And last, do y'all have different teams for different archetypes, do you have a personal style that you stick too, or do you find it best to follow popular trends (I hear HO is in a good place)? The latter seems interesting, I get to stay fluid.

This goes to any who feels like answering, it'll really help in catching up to you whippersnappers .
I used to use only one team for a long time for UU, because I never seemed to be able to build more than one solid team that I felt comfortable using. Every time I tried to build a "new" team, I would start with 6 new mons, not like something that wasn't working so copy something from my old team, and repeat until my "new" team ends up being my old team + 1 substituted mon only.

The way I broke out of this was to have people give me suggestions on new teams so that I could use something already tested by someone else that works. I still keep one "main" team that I primarily use, but I have a couple others as well. Normally I only have about 2-3 teams that I feel comfortable using in regular fights, but they are all distinct from each other now. Right now I have two teams I use on ladder that are very different, and I don't particularly feel like building another on until November drops come.

I've found on average I create 5 different teams a month and cycle between them on any given day. If you want to ladder up then it's somewhat important to stay ahead of the curve, battle a lot and then battle some more.

Speaking for myself, there isnt much variety in ones I build mainly because I stick with bog standard volt turn offense, with almost always one teleport user. Always account for the top 10 threats via the monthly usage stats and observing ladder games.

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to ask for suggestions to complete this team :blobthumbsup:
Articuno-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Freezing Glare
- Hurricane
- Shadow Ball

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to ask for suggestions to complete this team :blobthumbsup:
Articuno-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Freezing Glare
- Hurricane
- Shadow Ball

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Diamond Storm
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell

Volcanion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
This isn't the best place for it, but you can post this in the UU room on PS! or in the #teambuilding channel on the UU Discord, and some of our better builders can give some advice!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)