SM OU Teambuilding Competition Round 12: Alakazam (Building Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.
not tested this not going to test this i know it's shit already but it doesn't have fini so there
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Reversal
- Memento

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Celesteela @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge
ok so seeing as we have dugtrio i didn't feel as though focus blast was necessary on zard so i thought "hmm, ok, what's the worst fucking thing i could possibly use on this set?". naturally, dd came to mind, so i went with that. next mon was him obviously; went with darkiunium z memento because the removal choice for this team is dix and it has 2 things that really like zmemento, the other moves are essential should you want to trap the two main things you need to trap. thought yanmega would fit well with dugtrio and i felt like posting its sprite and seeing it in builder because it's a cool pokemon so i threw that on for the shits. needed rocks+removal+first steel all in one so i went with the worst rocker and remover in the game aka cannot fucking do anything against sableye so if rocks go up you lose because zard is fucked, forretress. volt switches out on heatran btw which i guess could be cool? needed secondary steel and something to bring a little more offensive presence to the team+another ground immune because ground types are broken so i went with autotomize celesteela with the special set. would've gone with flyinium z but dug has the crystal. last mon to stop the team crumbling to everything that boosts it speed (stone edge is for volcarona) and to provide a loose water resist because water resists on offensive teams suck dong in this meta.
this team loses to everything pretty much but most notably dd lando just clicks rock polish and wins. thanks for reading stay creative have fun people.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog
I still don't get the Char-Y hype but I guess it's ok at beating fat shit. First thing I focused on was trying to figure out was the hazard control for this team / core. I know I didn't want to use Tapu Fini since it seems pretty easy to take advantage of these days and Kartana seemed nice as a Defogger, a way to hurt a handful of common setters due to its sheer power, and when no Defog necessary just a real strong attacker to compliment Zard-Y. I ended up using the Duggy set here since with Sash intact it provided the best way to counteract M-Metagross and in the case of Specs Ninja using anything but Water Shuriken I can remove it out of the picture. Originally I had QD Mosa with Memento but that sort of fell apart and needed to rethink the concept a bit. I decided on dual scarfers after testing a variety of sets with Mosa while Scarf Latios provides me a supplementary Keld check and way to fire off free Dracos in the face of Scarf Chomps, +1 Zard-X and an emergency button to weakened +1 Volcarona. Scarf Phero also helps the match up against the occassional weather cores and squads such as Rain. Manaphy ended up on the last slot as a kind of win condition while lessening the pressure from opposing Heatrans if Dugtrio is out and makes the team not so dependent on Char-Y to break bulkier cores, which a lot of time it'll fail at.

Right now I kept Leaf Blade on Kartana to dent bulkier waters a bit more easily but can be changed for something like Night Slash for more neutral coverage. Team is a bit weak to some electrics, the big one being Tapu Koko but the nature of the dual scarfers can make it manageable and it rarely has the luxury to switch into anything anyways. Thunderbolt is an option over HP Fire on Latios but makes you a bit weaker to M-Sciz and Ferro. Depending on the matchup some aggressive plays may need to be made but overall some situations are pretty brainless. Enjoy.
Ban Duggy

Last edited:
Outmind
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Toxic

Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

I decided to make an unique team, Charizard Y and Dugtrio make a nice core, Zard Y is a massive wallbreaker, being able to 1HKO a ton of pokemon, Dugtrio can trap pretty much everything, mainly Steel/Fire types so i added some pokes that also appreciate the removal of pokemon who possess the aftermentioned types, while also breaking stall teams. I ended up disregarding Reversal/Memento since i had no pokemon that appreciated the support of those moves, Mantine is pretty bulk, with Defog and Spc.Def Support, being a effective counter to Greninja-Ash, Keldeo, Manaphy and Volcarona. Magearna is a powerful pokemon, thanks to Dugtrio and Zard-Y, its traditional counters like Heatran and Ferrothorn are already covered, while also checking Psychic and Fairy types. As i have Magearna as a Volt Switcher, might as well add a pokemon with U-turn, added Landorus-T as a revenge killer and this Voltturn core gives more chances for Dugtrio and Zard Y to enter in the field safely. Lastly, Tapu Bulu is a pretty good ground resist and fixes Mantine recovery issue due to Grassy Terrain, SD is a better offense set Fightium-Z takes more damage in Steels types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Last edited:
Bad team because too few Water resists:

Zard-Y and Duggy first because that's the core we were given. Standard Zard-Y because it doesn't need anything else. Rocks Duggy because it was the only thing on this team that can pack Rocks and Pursuit for A-Wak and Gengar primarily because they are problems. Spikes Gren to stack shit and offer coverage vs the Tapus and Lando. Electrium-Z Thunder Latios to bait and eliminate Fini and Mantine so my hazards stay up and because Fini and Mantine are annoying. Phero as Spinner, offensive pivot, and late-game cleaner once A-Wak, Fini, Mantine, Celesteela, M-Venu and all that shit are gone or at least heavily worn down. Threw Lele on last as a stallbreaker because why would anyone use anything else? Also the team as it looked so far ate the dick vs Mega Shiny-Eyeballs so needed some more help with that; Psyshock > Psychic because Chansey is a big problem. Still eats the dick vs Ash Gren though so gg.
Vanilla (Charizard-Mega-Y) (F) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Got You (Dugtrio) (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock

Assassinate You (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Nuke You (Latios) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Recover

Sugar (Pheromosa) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Psych You (Tapu Lele) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Last edited:

Seasons

Sassy Sunshine
is a Forum Moderator
Westside #ganggang
795_Sprite.gif
charizard-megay.gif
gastrodon.gif
gengar.gif
ferrothorn.gif
dugtrio.gif

Pretty fun team imo. Phero spins reliably and Gengar spinblocks reliably, so I can run rocks and spikes, and also run rocks on my duggie even though that usually sucks. Gengar and Phero are both good revenge killers too, and can easily pick up KOs after zard was in. Duggie has 21 HP ivs so that chansey drops him to 1 HP with 4 tosses, giving reversal full power. Ferro and Gastro are the defensive backbone, both dealing with a lot of threats in the meta while providing needed fire, rock and water resistances. Overall I feel like this is a solid squad even though zard is my ground resist what about Gengar?

Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

westside (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

wish these teams were a little more interesting, kinda boring seeing fini slapped alongside hazard weak mons when there's still plenty of viable alternative hazard removal options available. and yea, fini being the water resist isn't that good an idea at all.

also the only teams that actually have rapid spin users use defog latios on the team and the other uses ada scarf drill smh
who the fuck needs water checks when you can spam random mons and win ?

Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Mimikyu @ Eject Button
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psychic

sabella's spl team had a nice eject button mimikyu into dugtrio which i thought was cool. pursuit bish for latios. scarf lati for spe control. dragon pulse zard-y bc u dont need focus blast when both ttar and heatran get trapped by dug, and it lures zard-x and stops that from setting up on zard-y.

Left building phase open for a little while longer to squeeze in the last few teams. Closing this now and voting will end Sunday February 19th.

Team 1:

I've been using this core for like a month and this is the most succesful team I built with it so I figured I'd post this. Charizard-Y teams usually follow a similar skeleton especially when paired with Dug and this is a very solid example imo. I'm using Flamethrower Modest Zard-Y because I want it to smash Stall and the low PP of Fire Blast makes it easier to stall out for Stall. Focus Blast isn't 100% mandatory imo because Dug traps Tyranitar and Heatran. So far I've tried HP Electric to improve the rain MU beat the occasional Mantine you can't trap and 1v1 Toxapex more easily on Stall. After deciding to build around this duo I knew I needed an electric check that didn't lose to Koko and a Defogger so I added Tapu Fini first as the Defogger and main water resist. Tangrowth was added next to check electrics mainly and act as a pivot. So far I needed rocks and a ground immunity that didn't lose to Z-Fly Landorus so I went for a Landorus of my own with HP Ice for opposing Landos. Finally I wanted some Speed control and something that could take advantage of the pressure Zard and Dug put on Steel types. Tapu Lele fits nicely here and eventhough its Scarf set has its flaws such as not outspeeding base 100's at +1, I already had Stone Edge Dug for Volcarona and Lando+Fini for Zard-X Salamence and the rare Dragonite.

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Reversal
- Stone Edge

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

Team 2:

Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 16 SpD / 52 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

So the theme of the competition is Charizard Y and Dugtrio. It is a pretty good core imo as Dugtrio reliably traps Pokemon Charizard has trouble with. So pretty standard Charizard set. Flamethrower was chosen over Fire Blast for better accuracy and Good PP. Modest was chosen over Timid nature for more power. Focus Sash Dugtrio is better for trapping and revenge killing. Reversal helps with Chansey that may wall Charizard and it has tremendous power in low HP. Stealth Rock was given to Dugtrio as it can find time to lay out and my team don't have Pokemon for Stealth Rock. Hazard Removal is absolutely necessary due to Charizard's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock. Tapu Fini imo is currently the best hazard remover in the tier. Tapu Fini is also great as it handles common Water types my team is weak to such as Keldeo, Greninja without Gunk Shot and Mega Gyarados and thus helps Tyranitar and Landorus-T. I needed Pursuit support from Tyranitar to trap Latios. It also benefits from Landorus's ability to sponge U-turn from Pheremosa. I needed a pivot to bring Charizard in safely. So Landorus-T was added. It also acts as backup check to Garchomp and Zygarde in case Tapu Fini was defeated. Chose the offensive set as my team was lacking a wincon. Rockium Z helps killing Skarmory, Rotom-W and Celesteela. For the last slot I needed a switchin to Tapu Koko which is pretty common and can 6KO my team with stab and coverage. Ferrothorn was the perfect fit, as it also gives me additional hazard support with Spikes which it can easily setup. This helps my hard hitting team some 0HKOes and 2HKOes. Thunder Wave on Ferrothorn helps me mitigate the poor speed of the team outside of Dugtrio. So this team may look weak to Hyper Offense, but it can be played around carefully.

Team 3:

Considering how offensive this core is I decided to build a Full Offense based around Triple Fire core. Thanks to Dugtrio I can eliminate the counters of CharY, Volcarona and Heatran. Whirlpool + Taunt Fini was added because i can't only rely on Dugtrio because i needed something to bait the special sponges such as Chansey who hardly could expect a set like this. I put Nature Madness over Moonblast and Scald because I needed instant damage on Chansey and the counters of Volcarona and Charizard Y. Heatran was added to stallbreak and trap some special sponges, i use it with Chople Berry to tank Focus Blasts from Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele and Charizard Y. This way I can weaken or kill them. Scarf Landorus T was added because I needed a Ground Resist who wasn't weak to hazards and because I needed a Revenge Killer that can give me momentum in game.
Hope you understand, my english is bad.

Heavenly Divine (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam

DeadmanStanding (Dugtrio) @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sludge Wave

Crucify Me (Volcarona) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

To Kill A Hooker (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Evil Empire (Heatran) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Divine Division (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Team 4:

Starts off with core of zardy and and dug, you already know what this does. Dug also happens to trap magearna, alolan muk, ttar, which frees up hoopa to fuck teams up. zard==>hoopa is the easiest chansey double of all time and then something dies. av magearna brings in the bulky mons like tran, tangrowth, ferro, for either dug/two breakers to do work. i hate using fini cuz she's boring but she's the most reliable defogger and covers entire metagame. same can be said of lando but it provides another slow u-turn to bring in threats. dark is the only move you'll ever need on hoopa so i threw on both knock off and also hyperspace fury. then slap focus punch on that bitch to stunt on your opponent. focus blast isnt really needed on zard because of dug so flame charge provides the opportunity to late game sweep against faster teams. hp-ice on lando so as to not lose to zygarde.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Memento
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Modest Nature
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge

EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Lax Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 84 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Team 5:

Even tho ttar + charY is better Keldeo is there because I wanted to build around things that pressure common rockers like Lando / Ferro / Heatran etc. since Charizard pressure all hazard removal Fini / Phero. It was originally Z-Hyper Beam but sub + cm is better. scarf drill was added because Fini is bad (scarf drill is bad too) and I couldn't make space for spin phero. Fini adds no offensive pressure. It also revenge's scarf Lele which phero cannot do unless it is also scarf; which doesn't run rapid spin. Koko was added as lure for things like chansey and tyranitar. Taunt allows you to annoy stall heavily. It also forces mega zard x to evolve which means you can trap it with Dugtrio. Ferro was added as a glue for Ash Gren / Metagross / Koko and things of that nature. Dugtrio obviously traps Chansey for Zard which allows you to 6-0 stall with the addition of Koko / CM Keld. If you run into Double Dance Lando click x

EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Screech
- Reversal

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Team 6:

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Screech
- Memento

Tapu Lele @ Twisted Spoon
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 104 SpA / 152 Spe
Lonely Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab

Latios @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Energy Ball

• Starting with the initial core of charizard-y and dugtrio we all know how that works, nothing much switches into zard and what does (chansey, heatran) gets trapped by dugtrio. Since this team focuses on having an offensive play-style, we have deviated slightly from the usual sets. Charizard carries hp electric since heatran and tyranitar are managed by duggy, so that even mantine isn't a safe switch-in, and we have memento on dugtrio so that landorus-t doesn't get off an easy rock polish/swords dance on dugtrio. This can obviously be replaced by reversal but imo duggy manages to chip chansey decently with screech + earthquake and it's kind of necessary to maintain momentum in general.
  • Next up I knew I wanted cm twisted spoon lele as my stall breaker, due to psychic surge being OP as ever, shed shell is an option if you are too afraid of opposing dugtrios, but this team has multiple win-cons, so its decently manageable. Also, since no HO is complete without pheromosa, so we have scarf phero next to have a good cleaner late game and most importantly outspeed scarf garchomp which is annoying to say the least.
  • Now till now we lacked a hazard remover, so latios was added next up. Specs helps it achieve a 2hko on fini with psychic and draco is basically a nuke as always. This also gives us another way to lure bulky stuff(for example on higher ladder I started seeing a couple of shed shell blisseys over chanseys) by tricking specs and basically rendering them useless.
  • And finally I wanted another win-con + something that makes my stall match-up even better(as HO vs stall is kind of pendulum, basically a single turn decides the match, whatever way it goes), so I just slapped on a z-rain dance manaphy, which is again great as most of it's counters are either dealt by zard/lele or trapped by duggy.

Team 7:

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Ice Beam

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Kartana @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

I still don't get the Char-Y hype but I guess it's ok at beating fat shit. First thing I focused on was trying to figure out was the hazard control for this team / core. I know I didn't want to use Tapu Fini since it seems pretty easy to take advantage of these days and Kartana seemed nice as a Defogger, a way to hurt a handful of common setters due to its sheer power, and when no Defog necessary just a real strong attacker to compliment Zard-Y. I ended up using the Duggy set here since with Sash intact it provided the best way to counteract M-Metagross and in the case of Specs Ninja using anything but Water Shuriken I can remove it out of the picture. Originally I had QD Mosa with Memento but that sort of fell apart and needed to rethink the concept a bit. I decided on dual scarfers after testing a variety of sets with Mosa while Scarf Latios provides me a supplementary Keld check and way to fire off free Dracos in the face of Scarf Chomps, +1 Zard-X and an emergency button to weakened +1 Volcarona. Scarf Phero also helps the match up against the occassional weather cores and squads such as Rain. Manaphy ended up on the last slot as a kind of win condition while lessening the pressure from opposing Heatrans if Dugtrio is out and makes the team not so dependent on Char-Y to break bulkier cores, which a lot of time it'll fail at.

Right now I kept Leaf Blade on Kartana to dent bulkier waters a bit more easily but can be changed for something like Night Slash for more neutral coverage. Team is a bit weak to some electrics, the big one being Tapu Koko but the nature of the dual scarfers can make it manageable and it rarely has the luxury to switch into anything anyways. Thunderbolt is an option over HP Fire on Latios but makes you a bit weaker to M-Sciz and Ferro. Depending on the matchup some aggressive plays may need to be made but overall some situations are pretty brainless. Enjoy.

Team 8:

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roost
- Toxic

Magearna @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

I decided to make an unique team, Charizard Y and Dugtrio make a nice core, Zard Y is a massive wallbreaker, being able to 1HKO a ton of pokemon, Dugtrio can trap pretty much everything, mainly Steel/Fire types so i added some pokes that also appreciate the removal of pokemon who possess the aftermentioned types, while also breaking stall teams. I ended up disregarding Reversal/Memento since i had no pokemon that appreciated the support of those moves, Mantine is pretty bulk, with Defog and Spc.Def Support, being a effective counter to Greninja-Ash, Keldeo, Manaphy and Volcarona. Magearna is a powerful pokemon, thanks to Dugtrio and Zard-Y, its traditional counters like Heatran and Ferrothorn are already covered, while also checking Psychic and Fairy types. As i have Magearna as a Volt Switcher, might as well add a pokemon with U-turn, added Landorus-T as a revenge killer and this Voltturn core gives more chances for Dugtrio and Zard Y to enter in the field safely. Lastly, Tapu Bulu is a pretty good ground resist and fixes Mantine recovery issue due to Grassy Terrain, SD is a better offense set Fightium-Z takes more damage in Steels types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Team 9:

Zard-Y and Duggy first because that's the core we were given. Standard Zard-Y because it doesn't need anything else. Rocks Duggy because it was the only thing on this team that can pack Rocks and Pursuit for A-Wak and Gengar primarily because they are problems. Spikes Gren to stack shit and offer coverage vs the Tapus and Lando. Electrium-Z Thunder Latios to bait and eliminate Fini and Mantine so my hazards stay up and because Fini and Mantine are annoying. Phero as Spinner, offensive pivot, and late-game cleaner once A-Wak, Fini, Mantine, Celesteela, M-Venu and all that shit are gone or at least heavily worn down. Threw Lele on last as a stallbreaker because why would anyone use anything else? Also the team as it looked so far ate the dick vs Mega Shiny-Eyeballs so needed some more help with that; Psyshock > Psychic because Chansey is a big problem. Still eats the dick vs Ash Gren though so gg.

Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock

Ability: Torrent
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Recover

Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Team 10:

Pretty fun team imo. Phero spins reliably and Gengar spinblocks reliably, so I can run rocks and spikes, and also run rocks on my duggie even though that usually sucks. Gengar and Phero are both good revenge killers too, and can easily pick up KOs after zard was in. Duggie has 21 HP ivs so that chansey drops him to 1 HP with 4 tosses, giving reversal full power. Ferro and Gastro are the defensive backbone, both dealing with a lot of threats in the meta while providing needed fire, rock and water resistances. Overall I feel like this is a solid squad even though zard is my ground resist what about Gengar?

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Dugtrio (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

westside (Gastrodon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 244 HP / 104 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Recover

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

Team 11:

Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Mimikyu @ Eject Button
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psychic

had a nice eject button mimikyu into dugtrio which i thought was cool. pursuit bish for latios. scarf lati for spe control. dragon pulse zard-y bc u dont need focus blast when both ttar and heatran get trapped by dug, and it lures zard-x and stops that from setting up on zard-y.

Team 12:

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Dugtrio @ Darkinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Screech
- Reversal
- Memento

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

Celesteela @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

ok so seeing as we have dugtrio i didn't feel as though focus blast was necessary on zard so i thought "hmm, ok, what's the worst fucking thing i could possibly use on this set?". naturally, dd came to mind, so i went with that. next mon was him obviously; went with darkiunium z memento because the removal choice for this team is dix and it has 2 things that really like zmemento, the other moves are essential should you want to trap the two main things you need to trap. thought yanmega would fit well with dugtrio and i felt like posting its sprite and seeing it in builder because it's a cool pokemon so i threw that on for the shits. needed rocks+removal+first steel all in one so i went with the worst rocker and remover in the game aka cannot fucking do anything against sableye so if rocks go up you lose because zard is fucked, forretress. volt switches out on heatran btw which i guess could be cool? needed secondary steel and something to bring a little more offensive presence to the team+another ground immune because ground types are broken so i went with autotomize celesteela with the special set. would've gone with flyinium z but dug has the crystal. last mon to stop the team crumbling to everything that boosts it speed (stone edge is for volcarona) and to provide a loose water resist because water resists on offensive teams suck dong in this meta.
this team loses to everything pretty much but most notably dd lando just clicks rock polish and wins. thanks for reading stay creative have fun people.

Team 13:

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Screech
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Toxic

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast/Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon

EVs: 248 HP / 230 Atk / 4 SpA / 28 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

Charizard Y is an amazing wallbreaker, not a lot of pokemon can switch into it safely, but there are quite a few pokemon that can annoy MZardY to no end and they are:

1. Chansey
2. Garchomp
3. Zygarde
4. Toxapex
5. Salamence

Out of those pokemon, Screech Dugtrio can deal with Chansey, wreck toxapex and provided it switches into full health, it can weaken both Garchomp and Toxapex for a sweep so it is a very fun partner to mega zard y.

Of course, Duggy and Zard need a defogger since they are so weak to SR that it is not even funny, so here comes Tapu Fini, AKA the best defogger in the tier also possessing a very nice typing synergy with zard and duggy.

Ever heard of Tapu koko? ever heard of Protean Greninja? Ever heard of a lot of strong special attackers that can wreck this 3-pokemon-team? Out comes magearna to saves your skin, possibly the best special wall in the tier that can fit on offensive teams.

Now every good team must have a good stealth rocker, the choice was obvious to me, landorus-t forms a very fun defensive core with magearna and tapu fini, I opted for the defensive route to increase its ability to deal with the annoying physical dragons that can threaten this team.

Now this team sounds almost complete, A very strong wallbreaker, a strong defensive core of lando-t/tapu fini/magearna, everything is made to support our beloved wallbreaker, now I need one last pokemon, opposing Zard Y, MegaGross and set up sweepers can be annoying to face, also every good mega zard y team needs a pokemon that can abuse the wallbreaking abilities of mega zard y to sweep late game, here comes garchomp which fits a lot of roles wrapping up this team, it functions as:

1. Check to both Mega Zard Y and MegaGross
2. A way to deal with set up sweepers
3. A late game-sweeper
4. A scarfer sitting at a very good speed tier
5. Ground spam with both Lando-T and duggy
I could go on and on but you get the idea.

Some set notes:
1. Rock Slide is preferred over Stone Edge as its most targets anyway are 4x weak pokemon in which the accuracy matters more.
2. Toxic is preferred as a panic button to deal with walls on Duggy but Stone Edge can also work as an EdgeQuake covers which can be helpful in many occasions, there's also sucker punch which is.. sucker punch
3. While Dragon Pulse may seem like a weird choice on Zard Y, let's keep in mind that Focus blast's two targets (Heatrap and Ttar) get wrecked by duggy and they are checked / countered by most pokemon in my team anyway, I've slashed it with focus blast as an option to use as DPulse can deal nice damage to the dragons threatening this set.
4. Ancient Power sounds like a very gimmicky choice at first, but it really helps with beating opposing mega zard ys, mantines and dragonites (even though those are rare, but the point is in beating mega zard y which can wreck my team), anyway I've slashed it with both Fblast and Dpulse as other choices

BlazeLatias fix the thread title

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This team is hyper standard and boring. IDK what you gain by running Stone Edge on Duggy tho considering Zard Y's existence invalidates Volcarona's ability to sweep, and it also misses a big part of why you'd use Duggy alongside Zard in the first place (traps and eliminates Chansey with Screech).
Docking points immediately for modest Zard Y and even more for Flamethrower>Fire Blast (as far as I'm concerned, if you're going modest you might as well go all out to make the most of the power boost as opposed to just using it as an excuse for accuracy). Beyond this it's another super boring Duggy+Fini+Zard team. That said, I'm docking even more points because there are a lot of issues I have with sets on this team, such as Thunder Wave Ferrothorn and the fact you ran SR Duggy on a team where offensive SR Lando-T actively fills the role better.
I don't like these teambuilding decisions at all. Whirlpool+Taunt Fini is a neat gimmick and all, but it leaves you completely open to a lot of stuff and just saps any and all momentum you have. Also noone in their right mind would switch Chansey in against Tapu Fini. This Dugtrio set is hot arse both in the respect that it is running Sludge Wave (puke) and the fact that it is using that shitty IV spread that is better in theory than in practice. More points dropped for lack of Screech on a team where it could so easily eliminate Chansey. I really dislike the Tran set--especially considering the lack of any Z move user at all. All in all, you are trying to force this triple fire gimmick, its not working, and a lot of the sets/teambuilding decisions just aren't good.
ANOTHER TEAM WITHOUT SCREECH DUGGY! I like some of the teambuilding decisions (although the only form of speed control being a Scarfer with <101 base speed is an extremely poor decision tbch), but I really dislike some of these set choices. I don't like Band Hoopa-U that much in the current meta--not to mention that I don't like the move choices much. Being locked into Focus Punch isn't wise regardless of its sheer firepower, and Zen Headbutt>>>>>>>>>KOff. This Duggy set achieves fuck all 'cause Sucker Punch is so WEAK without an item/STAB. Flame Charge Zard Y is a bad gimmick which is made even worse by the fact that it is running Modest+Flamethrower, which not only means that you aren't taking full advantage of the power boost from modest but also leaves it slower than Scarf Tapu Lele at +1 which, to put it bluntly, is hot arse. All in all this seems like a suboptimal version of what looks like a generic/boring team on team preview, which is my biggest gripe with it.
Stealth Rock is bad on Ferrothorn and I'm not quite sure what the purpose of running Rock Slide is. This team crumbles to the combination of Mence+Magnezone due to having no means of revenge killing it, and Scarf Exca just invites the former in to set up Dragon Dance for free every time it clicks Earthquake. Also another Flamethrower Zard, except this time it's timid. I'm against Flamethrower Zard on principle, so docking points there.
Specs+Defog Latios is terrible, and you can't even justify it considering that you could have literally given Pheromosa Rapid Spin and used an actually good Latios variant. Also idk what the hell is going on with this Zard Y set, but Mantine is neither a good excuse nor a common enough Pokemon to warrant using HP Electric as opposed to the infinitely better Solar Beam. Beyond these sinful set choices, this team has most of the general basics of offense down--speed control, good offensive pressure, an abundance of stall answers etc. Bonus points for using a Dugtrio set that actually beats Chansey and for not being another extremely boring Fini+Zard+Duggy snoresquad.
Props for not bringing yet another variation on the snoresquad; Defog Kartana is something that I've not used before, and I can't exactly test this team on the ladder 'cause suspect test, but the theory behind it is sound. My biggest issue is that, while it doesn't give Chansey that many opportunities to come in, the fact that it comes out on Zard and just clicks T-Wave unpunished due to the lack of Screech on Duggy looks really painful at least on paper, and it is something that could be easily fixed w/ Spin on Phero+an alternative SR user over Kartana, but once again this is just based on the issue it faces with Chansey on paper and it can be very easily played around with smart doubling anyway so it doesn't really bother me that much. I am against Flamethrower Zard as a matter of principle as I don't really understand the appeal of the extra accuracy when 2 Fire Blasts deal a little more damage on average than 2 Flamethrowers do after factoring in the accuracy drop anyway. Overall, I like the creativity here.
Seeing Mantine on a Zard Y team instantly gave me worries with the team preview shot due to just how massive a momentum sap it is on an archetype with a heavy reliance on momentum. The only speed control comes in the form of a scarfer with less than base 101 speed, and without Reversal Dugtrio can't trap Tyranitar consistently--which is a big part of why you're pairing Dugtrio with Charizard Y in the first place beyond Chansey (which Reversal is a necessity for handling, as it means that Duggy can switch into Seismic Toss, use Screech, and proceed to OHKO on the following turn as opposed to dealing a measly 56.6-66.9% to it with Earthquake. Not too big on this team in general.
I like this team on paper. Between Spikes Greninja and CM+Shed Shell Lele it puts a *lot* of pressure onto stall teams, and it just generally has most of the things that a good offense team needs, ranging from from speed control to a few other things. The team lacks any real switch-in for Ash Greninja, but the flipside of that is that you can very easily trap+eliminate it with Duggy if it locks itself into anything other than Water Shuriken which is nice as hell, and if all else fails you can still grab momentum on it with Pheromosa. Lack of Screech Duggy can be circumvented with smart doubling, although the way it fucks with Greninja means that the T-Wave issue can occur if you aren't extremely careful.
This team doesn't really exert enough presence vs. Chansey to justify the lack of Screech on Dugtrio, and because of this it lacks any real presence versus stall 'cause Chansey comes out on the only thing that really exerts any presence versus it. What's more, it just feels like you've gone by a pretty bad team setup in that you've built using the "physical attacker+special attacker+physical wall+special wall+scarfer+filler" setup which, while it can work on very specific balance builds, doesn't really function all that consistently on a team like this. I'm also not quite sure why you're running Sassy on a Gastrodon without any physical moves, and the Dugtrio IV spread is inefficient considering that 28 IVs (or 27 to reduce Spikes damage) achieve the goal of maximising Reversal's damage vs. Chansey after two STosses (not that you beat it without Screech). Also the fact that one team member has a nickname whereas nothing else does triggers the fuck out of me. Also this team falls flat vs. strong Ground-type attacks.
Modest Zard Y is trash. Scarf+Defog Latios does not qualify as a substitute for actual hazard control. Pursuit Bisharp is hot arse. Even with Duggy I'd still run Focus Blast on Zard considering that you can't create a total reliance on Duggy to eliminate them and still expect the team to be consistent even with a gimmicky Mimikyu set to help out (not to mention that this team has no difficulty beating Latios between Sucker Punch Duggy, Bisharp, Mimikyu and Scarf Latios--rendering this completely pointless). There are just way too many issues with this team for me to consider voting for it.
Gotta love a spicy meme. That said, as a team it is god awful and I'm pretty sure the builder knows it.
BOOOOOOOOOORING! Simple but reasonably effective build. Don't use Dragon Pulse 'cause it sucks and you have plenty of counterplay to Latios in the forms of Fini and ScarfChomp to the point where it isn't entirely necessary. That said, if you do run it use it over Roost as opposed to Focus Blast 'cause non-FBlast Zard is hot arse even w/ Duggy support. It has all the basics of a simple build but its just so generic.
All in all these were... very mixed tbch. I think overall I liked teams 7 and 9 the most and, while I appreciate the creativity behind AM's team, I think I'm going to have to go with team 9 just because it seems like the type of team that I'd enjoy using whilst just generally being effective-looking on the whole.

Last edited:
Man I should really enter again, I don't like any of these meme squads to be truthful. Team 6 looks good on paper but the sets aren't great. Specs defog latios is less than ideal. Team 10 i can nearly get behind, but gastrodon is downright horrid and it's lacking in ground checks. Teams 9 and 13 are both solid. I definitely can get behind some greninja spikes but scarf rapid spin on offence can be again less than ideal.
Overall I think that 13 gets my vote standard isn't bad, if I built a team this round this would probably be pretty damn close to it. Solid bo build that covers the bases that a Charizard y team needs to hit. It's a bit water weak but a mixture of chomp/ Charizard weakening them and duggy trapping should do the trick.

Bad team because too few Water resists:

Timid Nature
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock

Ability: Protean
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Recover

Naughty Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Was kindly pointed out a set error (yeah, Torrent Gren isn't me being new meta, just forgot to change this on export). I'm pretty sure everyone knew what I meant but still updated my post with the correction. If my team in the list can be amended too that would be great. Thanks n sorry.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Team 13 , though I do like the appeal brought by Team 7 and Team 1 has some semblance of a good structure . The rest were almost non-noteworthy or had the absolute worst synergy (Bulu / Lando-T / Dugtrio?).

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
6, 7, & 9 are all cool. I would pick 6 if not for HP Elec Zard, but change that to Solar Beam, make Phero Spin so you can get rid of Defog Specs Lati ( :( ) and put Tbolt in Defog's place and the team is fine. While the Ash Gren weakness is real off-putting for Team 9, the team can retain enough offensive pressure to make the matchup manageable, so I'm going with Team 9.

My vote goes to Team 12.

With that, I'm closing voting. I kept it open longer to be able to get more votes in since there were barely any. The winner of Round 3 is tigers jaw and his cash meme team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)