SM UU Beta (Mewnium Z, Staraptor, Victini banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Hogg gave me this idea back in like alpha i think...hopefully someone didnt post it before me (or if i even posted it lol i dont remember at this pt. shit i dont even remember if i posted any of these sets before...). z rain dance gives a +1 speed boost, and boosted hydro pumps in conjunction with that make it a real slap in the face for a lot of playstyles, unfortunately this set isnt as good as it was when i first used it since fat teams are actually viable now and people are starting to realize amoonguss is good, but in conjunction with spikes and something like serperior or thundurus, keldeo is a force to be reckoned with.
Oh, looks like this guy has already beaten me to the punch. I was just thinking of a very similar set:

647-resolution.png

Keldeo-Resolute @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Rain Dance

I think the best analogy for Waterium Z Keldeo is this. You know the Waterium Z Manaphy that's a thing in OU? Yeah this is basically that. I'm running HP Rock to snipe a couple of flying and/or bug types (Gyarados, Giliscopod, Noivern are the best ones I can see), and Surf over Hydro Pump A) I don't want to risk the 20% miss chance, and B) because when cleaning up with that +1 and rain boost I think should be enough IMO. I might find some calcs later if you guys want.

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus
HP Electric is far and away the better option on Keldeo, since, unlike HP Rock, it actually hits most 'mons looking to check it, most notably Gyara. What that doesn't cover, namely Latias and Moonguss, can be taken care of by HP Ice or Icy Wind.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
HP Electric is far and away the better option on Keldeo, since, unlike HP Rock, it actually hits most 'mons looking to check it, most notably Gyara. What that doesn't cover, namely Latias and Moonguss, can be taken care of by HP Ice or Icy Wind.
True. It's just looking at the TC calculator, Water/Fighting/Rock gives me max neutral coverage all in one go. Remember we're using that set to clean up vs weakened teams.

TC = Type Coverage http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Neutral coverage is kind of irrelevant in this case, when part of the neutral coverage is a base 60 non-STAB Hidden Power. SE coverage is far more relevant in this case, since you'll only really be clicking your third move against things that actively resist your STABs - after all, a resisted Surf or Hydro Pump deals more than a neutral Hidden Power (especially in the rain). The third move is only worth clicking when it's against something that both resists your STABs and is weak to your coverage (such as HP Ice/Icy Wind against a Latias or HP Electric against a Gyarados).

Right now, I am finding Volcanion and Bisharp to be very good. Nothing really switches into Volc, which doesn't seem like a big deal, since things like Hydregion dont have many switch ins, but that 30% burn chance, great movepool, and great ability make it very good. The physical bulk makes it able to take some unboosted hits from things like Scarf Raptor and stuff. I've seen plenty of Bisharps on Spike stacking teams to deter Defoggers. It pretty much eats most balanced teams, which is what I've been running @_@

I haven't seen too many pursuit bisharps which is a bit of a surprise. Haven't really had trouble with Mons like Latias and Thundurus (either forms). Anyone else having trouble with Volc and Bisharp?

Right now, I am finding Volcanion and Bisharp to be very good. Nothing really switches into Volc, which doesn't seem like a big deal, since things like Hydregion dont have many switch ins, but that 30% burn chance, great movepool, and great ability make it very good. The physical bulk makes it able to take some unboosted hits from things like Scarf Raptor and stuff. I've seen plenty of Bisharps on Spike stacking teams to deter Defoggers. It pretty much eats most balanced teams, which is what I've been running @_@

I haven't seen too many pursuit bisharps which is a bit of a surprise. Haven't really had trouble with Mons like Latias and Thundurus (either forms). Anyone else having trouble with Volc and Bisharp?
I find Pursuit Bisharps to be rather easy to Lure. If you don't switch, Pursuit is very weak, so if you're, say, a Latias, you can HP Fire Bisharp, survive the Pursuit, and either switch on the incoming Sucker Punch, or Recovery the damage and kill Bisharp on a second HP Fire.
On a similar note I've been using Dragoniun-z Latias and it is not half bad. Weakens Knock off damage, gives you a drawback less Draco Meteor that hurts anything that isn't a blob or a Fairy, and is just overall Bulky. Not the best Z-Move user, but it has been working well for me.

I've been field testing the Prim/Gross core, and so far have come up with mixed results. Prim has been a blast for me to use, if only because I enjoy running anything that can nuke almost anything. Banded metagross has come out leaving much to be desired, however. After more tests, AV Goodra works better as a teammate for Prim, switching into her most common counters and running physical attacks for mixed offense. The two of them together are great support for a pz sweep, as most UU phazers take loads of damage from either prim or goo, weakening them for pz to clean up. Throw in a volt turn core, and you have many opportunities to do serious damage.

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

EVs are set to outspeed base 80 uninvested, making it that much harder to have a switch-in against Prim.

Last edited:
Does Rocky Helmet activate when the opponent hits Spiky Shield?
While, as said, Rocky Helmet does not activate with the Spiky Shield up, Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs provides quite a bit of coverage, so no matter what happens, the opponent is afraid to use a contact move, such as Knock Off, Drain Punch, Zen Headbutt, etc. So, no matter what, you still get some damage off.

The second round of voting has been completed.

The following Pokemon were nominated: Azumarill, Breloom, Gyarados, Keldeo, Porygon-Z, Serperior, Terrakion, Victini, Volcanion. Drizzle was also nominated.

Of these, the following Pokemon have been banned: Gyarados, Porygon-Z, Serperior, and Terrakion.
Gyarados was banned for its Z-Bounce + Dragon Dance set, which is extremely effective and difficult to stop in UU. Gyarados finds plenty of opportunities to set up due to its excellent offensive typing and the ease with which Stealth Rock can be kept off of its side of the field. From there, it can use Supersonic Skytrike to pick up an almost guaranteed kill, gain a Moxie boost, and plow through defensive teams from there, only being stopped by certain Choice Scarf users and Mega Aerodactyl. In addition, Gyarados's fourth moveslot after Dragon Dance/Waterfall/Bounce could invalidate certain ways of dealing with it - Taunt shuts down Quagsire and prevents Swampert from phasing it out, Substitute blocks Sucker Punch from Bisharp and various other revenge killers, and coverage moves like Stone Edge and Earthquake are viable as well.
With a +1 boost to every stat after just one turn of setup, Porygon-Z can decimate unprepared teams. It is pushed over the edge by the fact that it can choose whichever type it wants to change to, and guessing incorrectly could result in multiple Pokemon killed for the opposing team. If you think your Choice Scarf Mienshao keeps you safe again Electric variants, good luck trying to stop Ghost variants, and if you want to outright wall it with Blissey or Clear Smog it with SDef Amoonguss, have fun getting blown away by Psychic variants. It's impossible to prepare for every variant of PZ.
The previous rounds of bans, which included Mega Charizard Y, Kyurem-B, Tornadus-T, Weavile, Scolipede, and Volcarona, gave Serperior tons of breathing room in UU. It now only really needs 2 attacking moves - Leaf Storm and Hidden Power Fire - to cover the majority of the tier, and can use its remaining move slots however it wants - Taunt, Synthesis, Substitute, Leech Seed, Glare, Dragon Pulse, or even Z-Hyper Beam. Not much in the tier outspeeds it, and very few offensive Pokemon can survive two consecutive Leaf Storms and KO it in return. It also has plenty of opportunities to come onto the field against Pokemon like Hippowdon, Swampert, and Keldeo.
Terrakion's many sets devastate all different kinds of teams. Choice Scarf Terrakion outspeeds nearly every Pokemon while doing big damage with its two powerful STAB moves. Choice Band Terrakion 2HKOes nearly any switchin on defensive teams, except for a select few Pokemon. Swords Dance Terrakion is very effective at removing Pokemon like Hippowdon, Swampert, and Slowbro with its Z moves, paving the way for a teammate to clean up. Overall, Terrakion has too much raw power, combined with the speed and bulk to back it up, to stay in the tier.

Tagging The Immortal
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
R.I.P. z-flyers (Dragonite, Salamence, then Gyarados). Azumarill has much more breathing room now that gyarados and serperior are gone. Drought and drizzle could become problems but drought's main problem is the presence of very strong fire types (volcanion and victini.)

Last edited:
I see most bulky waters (most notably as stated just above azu) having a lot more breathing room now that Serp is gone. Rain I feel like will gain a large boost in viability due to this fact and will be fun to use overall.

Serperior so legit. RIP Snakes in UU.
RIP Donald Duck Z too.

Here's a pretty cool thing, just try it, it's kindda fun, not the best thing of course but still strong !

Kyurem @ Icium Z
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hail
- Dragon Pulse
- Blizzard
- Earth Power

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
mfw one of my opponents prayed for Gyarados to be banned during one of my ladder matches after I 6-0'd him with it lol

It's so sad to see Gyarados go since I built a very solid team with it that peaked me to the 1500 mark on the ladder; in fact, I actually did not expect to see it banned. While I find Gyarados being a solid option for one of my teams, I do understand the reasoning behind its brokenness.

As for the other bans, I'm pretty satisfied with it to a point that Scarf Krookodile wouldn't be as demanding as before, but that Krookodile set remains a threat to other relatively fast Pokémon such as Gengar, Azelf, and others not holding Choice Scarf as well.

Reactions: Ark
Great to see the tier rapidly improving, but I'm very surprised to see that not even one person voted for Volcanion to be banned. :o Where are you all hiding your switch ins? My first attempts at building for Beta have been fatty balance builds and most of them get owned pretty hard by Volc. Counter = Suicune for the most part, which is not reliable.

Great to see the tier rapidly improving, but I'm very surprised to see that not even one person voted for Volcanion to be banned. :o Where are you all hiding your switch ins? My first attempts at building for Beta have been fatty balance builds and most of them get owned pretty hard by Volc. Counter = Suicune for the most part, which is not reliable.
If you play right, Volc can still be countered by bulky waters if you manage to get it to waste Bloom Doom. It's also countered by fast electrics such as Thundy which do tons of damage to it if not outright OHKOing. Having a weakness to EQ can also be detrimental as it gets 2HKOed by most offensive EQ users.

Last edited:
honestly i dont like volcanion that much rn lol. with 70 speed it cant do all that much in such a fast paced meta, and while bloom doom is cool in theory, a lot of times you'd wanna be using ur zmove slot on something else. without a boosting item its not all that strong, with choice specs you cant switch your moves which it really wants to half of the time, and with lo youre really putting a strain on its passable bulk, and it already gets worn down enough thanks to sr weakness despite having water absorb. i dont think its anywhere near the level of the other things nominated since its pretty easy to pressure, although that could very obviously change later on.

idk, maybe its just me but i hate running the kind of balances that were so good in oras right now because there are a fuck ton of threats that you need to account for and if you try to cover everything you just end with a meh team a lot of times. with that being said, sylveon / mew / keys are being slept on in my experience atm, and if i were to use some kind of balance id definitely use one of those

Venusaur @ Normalium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Celebrate

This is a good pz clone, giga drain give sustain, sludge bomb is a nice stab and HP fire take care of most steel types, just scout for random scarf users and you have the perfect win con
Zard and Toise can also use this type of sets, but venu just have everything to make it actually work

Venusaur @ Normalium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Celebrate

This is a good pz clone, giga drain give sustain, sludge bomb is a nice stab and HP fire take care of most steel types, just scout for random scarf users and you have the perfect win con
Zard and Toise can also use this type of sets, but venu just have everything to make it actually work
Sniped RIP

Anyway, instead of that awesome set, imma post another:

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Play Rough

Not really gonna go into detail on the Hippo set, as that's fairly straightforward. Stoutland on the other hand is a monster. Not much can really can switch into a Return oh but dhelmise walls it hahahaha dhelmise is broken but its coverage is just what it needs. Fightings die to Play Rough, rocks/steels die to Superpower, and Ghosts die to Crunch. Stoutland has little that can really switch into it because of these moves and I'm currently experimenting with this set. Will post more on this later.

Latias can switch into Volcanion's entre moveset and Psychock him to death (correct me if wrong) his speed tier leaves him prone to revenge killing when without a Scarf, and if with a Scarf, Bulky Waters also wall him. So, yeah, he is OK for now. I think we'll have to wait until the next drop for something truly OP to appear.
Latias is rather good right now, with Breloom and most water being checked/countered by her, and her speed tier means she can coverage move her way through troublesome checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)