SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Simple question I want to participate more in the Smogon community, how should I start?
Participate in forum projects (of which there are plenty), voice your opinion in discussion threads, ask questions and respond to statements, controversies and other people's questions. Please don't feel that you have to react to any and all discussion though, sometimes you may want to sit back and listen first, I for one enjoy reading just as much as I do posting. Lastly, while you certainly will face critcism, don't let it discourage you from participating. Instead, be open to criticism, welcome the input and reflect upon your own stance on things; discourse is only ever fertile if the participants' feet are not burried in the ground they are standing on.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Participate in forum projects (of which there are plenty), voice your opinion in discussion threads, ask questions and respond to statements, controversies and other people's questions. Please don't feel that you have to react to any and all discussion though, sometimes you may want to sit back and listen first, I for one enjoy reading just as much as I do posting. Lastly, while you certainly will face critcism, don't let it discourage you from participating. Instead, be open to criticism, welcome the input and reflect upon your own stance on things; discourse is only ever fertile if the participants' feet are not burried in the ground they are standing on.
Totally agree. Also, something to note about criticism, is that people rarely have bad intent so if you meet someone, Heldinho, that seems stern or cold in a forum discussion they are probably just trying to get their point across and want as much as you do to have an engaging and respectful discussion. Like esche said, you should embrace criticism as it often helps enrich the discussion and helps you think about things you may not have considered before, etc.

Enjoy!

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Can Ambipom be used successfully in UU?
It can, but it definitely has a lower ceiling compared to most other Pokemon in the tier. Ambipom might have a couple of niches that allow it to function decently, however it's essentially a gimmick and more often than not you'll find that you'd rather prefer something else in its place. Don't expect too much from it either since it didn't play too huge of a role in most of any ladder games, be it that they were publicized or not. Rather, it was most usually due to the other supporting 5 members of teams using Ambipom that most players were able to procure the results they did and this is supported by both video and replay evidence.

All I'm saying is to take all of the overblown and highly publicized results achieved with Ambipom with a grain of salt. Feel free to use whatever you'd like, for a tier is more likely to remain interesting and refreshing if you think outside of the box as compared to using standardized Pokemon and sets all of the time.

I'm brand new to competitive Pokemon (I stopped playing Pokemon casually after Diamond and Pearl) and my only goal is to beat my friend who only knows a little bit about competitive Pokemon. How/where do I learn to beat him and make the best team possible? Thanks!

I'm brand new to competitive Pokemon (I stopped playing Pokemon casually after Diamond and Pearl) and my only goal is to beat my friend who only knows a little bit about competitive Pokemon. How/where do I learn to beat him and make the best team possible? Thanks!
Just build teams with viable pokemon to start go to the viability rankings in the tier/tiers that you want to play in that and there is a battling 101 forum that you can go to

Is Earthquake really necessary on Swampert? I've been considering replacing it with Toxic to free up a moveslot on another mon.

Akai

'Cause I'm only a crack in this castle of glass
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Which pokémons can I use to build balanced teams in UU?
do you mean for your offensive core or defensive core?

Is Earthquake really necessary on Swampert? I've been considering replacing it with Toxic to free up a moveslot on another mon.
If it's your swampert is the defensive one, you can run for toxic, scald, SR, roar. (classic but best set for swampert.

Simple question I want to participate more in the Smogon community, how should I start?
I'm a returning player I've found that using the multiple discords smogon offer to keep up with the latest news and announcements for tournaments if you mean that, as for community overall just posting and contributing

What makes unpredictability so bad? It seems to just be a simple factor, and one which isn't even that big of a deal.
Like pretty much any potentially broken element of a Pokémon, unpredictability alone isn’t enough to ban something, but it can make dealing with potentially broken threats even more diffficult. For example, if an excellent sweeper had multiple different, but equally viable sets that all had different forms of counterplay, and they weren’t just niche options that sacrificed most matchups to blow through a few counters, it can make dealing with it more difficult than what would be reasonable. Apply this to others situations, and you can see how unpredictability can help push some threats over the edge. Of course, unpredictability alone doesn’t make something broken, but you can say the same thing about almost anything that can contribute to something being broken, a broken Pokemon/move/ability/whatever in a tier usually has a combination of traits that make them undesirable to keep in the tier. I hope this answers your question.

Could Mamoswine leaving the tier actually be good for UU? It allows good grass, ground, electric, dragon, and flying types to prosper here.

Could Mamoswine leaving the tier actually be good for UU? It allows good grass, ground, electric, dragon, and flying types to prosper here.
I don't think Mamoswine is that impactful. The entire A+ rank is weak to Ice/Ground. From my own experience laddering, it didn't seem incredibly common.

Not sure where to ask this question, since it is more related to Smogon Formats overall, but do Tournament Plays affect the tiershifts (I mean by that usage outside of ladderplay and the potencial influence on the ladder)?

Not sure where to ask this question, since it is more related to Smogon Formats overall, but do Tournament Plays affect the tiershifts (I mean by that usage outside of ladderplay and the potencial influence on the ladder)?
The usage itself of things in tournaments has no effects on tier shifts. That being said, often times when things are used effectively in tournaments, people will bring the same thing to ladder, which in turn can have an effect on tier shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)