Pokémon Smeargle

Status
Not open for further replies.
All lead smeargles should consider utilising Magic Coat in order to deal with Taunt. Whenever I see a Smeargle in an opponent's team lineup, I always lead with a taunt user. I had one throw my own taunt back at me the other day with Magic Coat, which was quite interesting to say the least.

How about taking advantage of smeargle's movepool. I always thought this might work :

Hazard Halter Smeargle

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
252 speed / 252 HP / 4 Defense
Jolly/Timid/Naive

-Imprison
-Stealth Rock
-Sticky Web / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
-Sticky Web / Spikes / Toxic spikes

Imprison seems to never appear anywhere, but here it could work. Imprison straight away to stop the opponent's hazard lead,
then set up stealth rocks or other entry hazards while the opponent switches out of their unusable hazard setter. Then set up another layer with the
extra turn provided by focus sash, before being taken out later that turn. Two hazard layers and none in return. With a spinblocker
and rapid spinner to counter any spins or counter hazards, to me this looks reasonable on paper. The major problem is if the
opponent starts with an anti-lead (since smeargle is almost always a lead, it is easy to predict), and 2HKOs on the imprison turn, but team
preview could show the anti lead and you could predict against it with a wall.

Sorry if it seems far-fetched, I only started competitive battling a few months ago.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Timid
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Trick
Parting Shot
Foul Play
ect.

I see nothing but suicide entry hazard Smeargles. Why has nobody tried this? A speedy Parting Shot is awesome, and allows Smeargle to work in a VoltTurn team. Foul Play allows it to deal surprise damage, and... well, I haven't thought of something for the fourth slot yet. Spore? Toxic? Healing Wish?

Smeargle really needs Magic Coat since actually that was the only move that screwed my taunt Greninja (my best answer to Smeargle besides Sap Sipper Goodra) which almost ever manages to get some great Life Orb Dark Pulses that can put a dent on the usual Rotom W switch ins...

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Timid
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Trick
Parting Shot
Foul Play
ect.

I see nothing but suicide entry hazard Smeargles. Why has nobody tried this? A speedy Parting Shot is awesome, and allows Smeargle to work in a VoltTurn team. Foul Play allows it to deal surprise damage, and... well, I haven't thought of something for the fourth slot yet. Spore? Toxic? Healing Wish?
That would have a LOT of surprise appeal. Personally, if I came across it unawares, it would terrify me.

As for the fourth slot, Electro Ball might be useful to take advantage of smeargle's decent speed, or Volt Switch / U-turn
since it's on a choice scarf to keep up momentum, or more unusual, like STAB explosion or Pursuit to make it more like a revenge killer.
Smeargle has literally every move at it's disposal so it could really be anything.

That would have a LOT of surprise appeal. Personally, if I came across it unawares, it would terrify me.

As for the fourth slot, Electro Ball might be useful to take advantage of smeargle's decent speed, or Volt Switch / U-turn
since it's on a choice scarf to keep up momentum, or more unusual, like STAB explosion or Pursuit to make it more like a revenge killer.
Smeargle has literally every move at it's disposal so it could really be anything.
You do realize Smeargle has 20/20 attacking stats right? All his moves would do pathetic damage, even Explosion would fail to 2HKO most pokemon.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus

Yeah, Smeargle can't use attacking moves at all. Some better choices would be Destiny Bond, Worry Seed (Magic Guard Reuniclus answer!), Encore, stuff like that.

Has anyone tried defensive smeargle?
something along the lines of
Focus sash
252 HP 252+ Def 4 SpDef
Dark Void
Spiky Shield
Cotton Guard
Leech Seed

ofc it's totally walled by fast taunters, like every smeargle set, but it seems like a perfect wall to a primarily physically offensive team.

How about taking advantage of smeargle's movepool. I always thought this might work :

Hazard Halter Smeargle

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
252 speed / 252 HP / 4 Defense
Jolly/Timid/Naive

-Imprison
-Stealth Rock
-Sticky Web / Spikes / Toxic Spikes
-Sticky Web / Spikes / Toxic spikes

Imprison seems to never appear anywhere, but here it could work. Imprison straight away to stop the opponent's hazard lead,
then set up stealth rocks or other entry hazards while the opponent switches out of their unusable hazard setter. Then set up another layer with the
extra turn provided by focus sash, before being taken out later that turn. Two hazard layers and none in return. With a spinblocker
and rapid spinner to counter any spins or counter hazards, to me this looks reasonable on paper. The major problem is if the
opponent starts with an anti-lead (since smeargle is almost always a lead, it is easy to predict), and 2HKOs on the imprison turn, but team
preview could show the anti lead and you could predict against it with a wall.

Sorry if it seems far-fetched, I only started competitive battling a few months ago.
If you only plan on blocking non-attacking moves with Imprison, you might as well just use Taunt. You'll block more moves, and the only disadvantage is that opponents are a lot more likely to build for Taunt than Imprision (Oblivious and Mental Herb can block taunt but not imprison).
Has anyone tried defensive smeargle?
something along the lines of
Focus sash
252 HP 252+ Def 4 SpDef
Dark Void
Spiky Shield
Cotton Guard
Leech Seed

ofc it's totally walled by fast taunters, like every smeargle set, but it seems like a perfect wall to a primarily physically offensive team.
I know it sounds kind of stupid in a Smeargle thread, but this set would really wish it had more moveslots. You'll want a better form of recovery than Leech Seed, so probably use something like Recover. You'll want a better way to do damage than using Leech Seed as well, so probably Foul Play. Also, Focus Sash is an item you use when you expect to get one shotted anyway, which shouldn't be happening on a defensive smeargle. You also really want to get that Cotton Guard off before the opponent attacks, so you have to come in on something slow like Tyranitar.

Put all of it together and whichever 4 moves you pick, another pokemon can probably pull it off better due to having way better stats. The only niche smeargle would have that other pokemon might not have on that kind of set is Spore/Dark Void.

Entry Hazards Lead

ability: Own Tempo
item: Focus Sash
nature: Timid Nature
evs: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe

move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Sticky Web
move 3: Spore
move 4: What to use here and why? Taunt? Magic Coat?

Help me finish my set please :)

As much as I love Smeargle flavor wise in terms of it learning almost every move, it's just not that good. A notable addition to it is King's Shield, but even that isn't phenomenal. Geomancy is crap for Smeargle since even if it wants to baton pass it'll have to go for smash pass. Even if Smash Pass is banned again it can always go for Quiver Dance. Smeargle IS fragile and without Sash or Sub it WILL go down.
Yeah I'd like to throw my two cent into the argument that geomancy will never be viable on Smeargle. The possibility of getting two turns of set up is remote, even if you scare something off that doesn't want to be spored. If that does happen, expect something like breloom to come in and wreck you with priority anyway.

If you only plan on blocking non-attacking moves with Imprison, you might as well just use Taunt. You'll block more moves, and the only disadvantage is that opponents are a lot more likely to build for Taunt than Imprision (Oblivious and Mental Herb can block taunt but not imprison).
I know it sounds kind of stupid in a Smeargle thread, but this set would really wish it had more moveslots. You'll want a better form of recovery than Leech Seed, so probably use something like Recover. You'll want a better way to do damage than using Leech Seed as well, so probably Foul Play. Also, Focus Sash is an item you use when you expect to get one shotted anyway, which shouldn't be happening on a defensive smeargle. You also really want to get that Cotton Guard off before the opponent attacks, so you have to come in on something slow like Tyranitar.

Put all of it together and whichever 4 moves you pick, another pokemon can probably pull it off better due to having way better stats. The only niche smeargle would have that other pokemon might not have on that kind of set is Spore/Dark Void.
Smeargle as a wall is not something I expect to see in the near future. Aside from the fact that it will probably be brought down to 1 HP before it can do anything, it is totally outclassed as a sleep inducing wall by Venusaur, Amoongus, Exeggutor, Sigilyph, probably Bulbasaur too. A set with leech seed, cotton guard, spiky shield and dark void would also have problems against, among other things, special attackers, sleep talkers, grass pokes, entry hazard setters, anything with reliable recovery and cloyster. Basically, the only move seeing good use would be dark void, which would be wasting the potential of a really versatile and dangerous pokemon.

Some Smeargles run Dark Void especially due to the Powder moves nerf. As for the Hazards set:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Jolly
- Spore / Dark Void
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Sticky Web

This is the best hazards set Smeargle has. Magic Coat has priority over Prankster users such as Thundurus leads and will bounce back the Taunt. Smeargle guarantees at least one of the hazards up if played correctly.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Smeargle's main use in Gen 6 is to set up hazards,

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

I've seen people use Parting shot as well, i guess it works.

Here's a trying hard set that utilizes parting shot. I choose not to use Smeargle as the hazards lead because hazard removal and screens removal has become significantly easier.

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Own Tempo
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Speed
-Spore
-Trick
-Parting Shot
-Destiny Bond

This Smeargle aims to be as general and utility as possible, hopefully opening the door for your other pokemon to start boosting, with 4 options of "guaranteed" crippling or killing 1 pokemon. You're faster than base 130s but fast scarfers, priority users, and pranksters own you. Target the most troublesome thing on the opposing team and sleep it, choice lock it, lower its offenses, or go for the kill. A good teammate is rotom-w who's volt switch meshes well with parting shot. Rotom-W also has good chances against priority users Scizor, Talonflame, and Azumarril.

Using choice scarf means your set is not dependent on the focus sash and has speed to be useable much later in the match for a variety of things. The only damage you should ever take (and the only damage you can survive...) is hazard damage, and weak attacks from blissey, chansey, and volt switch forretress.

The goal is to cripple exactly 1 pokemon and anything above that is bonus material.

Cool idea, I have one on one of my teams that U rarely ever use. Sticky web is still an option on a scarfed set and it would rather be locked into that instead of spore. Clear smog is another good move or haze (steel types .-.) or evn Topsy turvy? (Lol). Endeavor could be used but its kinda meh and Smeargle rarely lives with low health anyway. I wouldnt recommend using Endeavor but i thought I should mention it. LUNAR DANCE is an amazing move on scarfed Smeargle. You can outspeed your opponent, suicide yourself and fully heal one of your teammates. ^.^

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Timid
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Trick
Parting Shot
Foul Play
ect.

I have been using this set with Lunar Dance on the final slot, and it is amazing, so much utility.
Foul Play lets it actually damage stuff, even OHKOing some boosting sweepers.
Parting Shot is amazing for stealing momentum.
Trick to permanently cripple defensive mons.
And Lunar Dance is great, the ability to fully heal the next mon to come in is great, giving a Scarf Smeargle so many options, probably my new favourite Choice Scarf user.

The main problem with Smeargle is that even though it has a wide range of moves its stats are not very good and often many movesets Smeargle could learn could be used much more effectively by other Pokemon. With its horrible offensive stats the only real use of Smeargle is to use status moves to support it's team such as baton pass, stealth rock and spore. This leaves it incredibly prone to taunt. However its shear unpredictability make it's opponents often wonder what moves it might use. Obviously the focus slash is essential to give Smeargle at least one turn to use a move.

The main problem with Smeargle is that even though it has a wide range of moves its stats are not very good and often many movesets Smeargle could learn could be used much more effectively by other Pokemon. With its horrible offensive stats the only real use of Smeargle is to use status moves to support it's team such as baton pass, stealth rock and spore. This leaves it incredibly prone to taunt. However its shear unpredictability make it's opponents often wonder what moves it might use. Obviously the focus slash is essential to give Smeargle at least one turn to use a move.
Honestly, I think the key to Smeargle is to run things that no other Pokemon can learn and thats what makes this thing so incredibly interesting. While its stats hold it back a lot, Smeargle usually always causes someone to rage.

So what's everyone's opinion on Dark Void vs Spore on a hazard-setting Smeargle? I've been running Spore lately and it's like people always expect the Spore and switch in their grass type, sometimes making you not able to set any hazards up at all. Here's what I've been using:

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Own Tempo
Timid
96HP / 80 Def / 80 Sp. Def / 252 Speed
-Spore
-Sticky Web
-Whirlwind
-Stealth Rock

The 80% accuracy can be obnoxious, but most of OU's Spore absorbers cannot handle Dark Void.

But maybe entry hazard leads in general are obsolete. At least Smeargle isn't complete setup bait like Forretress, but if your opponent has a Defog user, all you've accomplished is putting an opponent to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)