Pokémon Smeargle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
You explode vs slow spinners and bulky defoggers so they can't remove hazards. Breaks scales and isn't set up bait

It breaks Sashes and Sturdy and can OHKO Absol and Espeon.

Last edited:
Hidden Fire also 2hko's mega lucario, for all those who laughed at me for suggesting it. I've pissed off many a people with it now.
Except, why not just run physical and use V-create? It would do more damage. If you're set on special moves, why not Fusion Flare?

There's a reason you were laughed at for suggesting HP Fire.

Someone used Skill Swap on me to take Magic Bounce from Espeon (I presumed that they wouldn't lead with a Smeargle seeing my Espeon, as they did I was caught on the switch). With a sash in that cirumstance you're guaranteed to get one layer of hazards down or do one thing that's annoying (Sporing Espeon for example) - something to think about.

Parting Shot is my favorite tactic against Magic Bounce users - the effects are reversed so Smeargle gets its stats lowered, but your opponent has to switch. You can then use it a second time to either escape from the resulting switch-in or force the Magic Bounce user out again.

Anybody considered using Dark Void over Spore?
I run Dark Void, but I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I've seen many teams who think they can switch in a Grass type and take a Spore. On the other hand, many teams don't, and the 80% accuracy can be annoying.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I honestly dont see the point in dark void when that miss rate is rly horrible. smeargle shouldnt be spore spamming turn 1 anyway that almost never works between voltturn chesto berry sub grass types etc. you're better off just using sticky web first lmao. u get a free hazard set up if they voltturn into a grass type instead of a faster threat lol since almost every grass type in the tier is outran by smeargle.

Always liked Smeargle. But issue is the instant you run into one of those fast taunters, mostly used as leads, that one taunt just messes up the whole game plan for the turn. Note that in especially OU, people still use the taunt leads.

Magic Coat can be used, since Taunt is fairly predictable.
Many Pokemon like to use Taunt as a non-standard move, and even standard Taunters can set up on your face if you mispredict with Magic Coat. Here's some mons that can viably run Taunt and are faster than Smeargle:

-Sableye (predictable)
-Tornadus-I
-Thundurus-I
-Whimsicott (predictable)
-Gyarados (semi-predictable)
-Talonflame
-Gengar
-Alakazam
-(more stuff I'm probably forgetting)

Basically, Taunt is not predictable unless the Taunt user is a Whimsicott or a Sableye, and even then they have other options against you. It's not like the Taunt user gets wrecked if it mispredicts either, since most of that list is offensive and can just kill Smeargle anyways.

Not sure how that counters taunt unless it has some added effect this gen, last time I looked magic coat just reflects a special attack at double the power.
That's Mirror Coat, not Magic Coat.

^^ I would say that the genies are fairly predictable Taunt users, especially when they're leads. I also don't see Alakazam ever running Taunt. It can, but what would it gain from it save for surprising a select few Pokemon?

You do have a point, though. I almost always use Magic Coat first, unless the opponent is clearly going to kill Smeargle or U-Turn out, just in case there's a surprise Taunt or hazards user.

Regardless if it is predictable or not, most people aren't going to run Magic Coat which equals smeargle becoming completely useless after the first taunt is made.
Why not? I wouldn't call the move unviable, and all of its lead sets on Smogon mention it.

I use the relatively standard set except Ive chosen Destiny bond for the filler.

Smeargle @ focus sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
jolly Nature
- spore
- stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Destiny Bond

Most battles I'll spore one pokemon. If theyre grass then I'll set a hazard or two up then Il predict an attack and destiny bond. This is a very effective lead set when used right and ensures that you have at least one hazard up and hopefully one pokemon asleep. I dont recommend leading against a faster pokemon (or taunt user) cause obviously destiny bond will be useless but when used against a slower mon I usually get surprise Ko's. Im sure it's already been stated that smeargle is faster than most grass mons anyway (best counters).

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've been using SR/Sticky Web/Spore/Explosion Smearlge since I saw Shurtugal post about how it could work against slow spinners/defoggers. basically, Sticky Web/SR (or both) depending on the opposite team and then Explode, it breaks sturdy, sashes, multiscale (for w/e reason dnite might switch in) and brings Mandibuzz into the KO range for Azumarill's Play Rough to kill. If the opponent is dumb enough to not have a spore resist and decides to switch to their spinner right away, I spore and lay down hazards, explode, and then OHKO with a faster Pokemon. It's easy to keep up hazards against defoggers/spinners, just keep the offensive pressure and sleep if possible. The only time this -might- fail is vs. Leftovers Skarmory, since it won't break Sturdy, but you should sleep it anyway.

Sometimes exploding isn't needed - this makes Smeargle an excellent death fodder, and a pretty good Aegislash switch-in since it's immune to Shadow Ball/Sneak and can outspeed and Spore through King's Shield. :P

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I've been using SR/Sticky Web/Spore/Explosion Smearlge since I saw Shurtugal post about how it could work against slow spinners/defoggers. basically, Sticky Web/SR (or both) depending on the opposite team and then Explode, it breaks sturdy, sashes, multiscale (for w/e reason dnite might switch in) and brings Mandibuzz into the KO range for Azumarill's Play Rough to kill. If the opponent is dumb enough to not have a spore resist and decides to switch to their spinner right away, I spore and lay down hazards, explode, and then OHKO with a faster Pokemon. It's easy to keep up hazards against defoggers/spinners, just keep the offensive pressure and sleep if possible. The only time this -might- fail is vs. Leftovers Skarmory, since it won't break Sturdy, but you should sleep it anyway.

Sometimes exploding isn't needed - this makes Smeargle an excellent death fodder, and a pretty good Aegislash switch-in since it's immune to Shadow Ball/Sneak and can outspeed and Spore through King's Shield. :P
I also like how after you Spore something, they go right into the Defogger / Spinner and you just KABOOM and go into a threat to maintain momentum XD. Explosion is underrated because of Smeargle's pitiful attack stat but it does just enough to be useful on Sticky Web HO imo

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No because Explosion gets a STAB boost making it 375 vs whatever Final Gambit is, and it is constant damage.
"Final Gambit causes the user to faint, and the target receives damage equal to however much HP the user had before executing the move."

I'd say it's REALLY situational, as Smeargle will be at 1 HP a lot of the time thanks to focus sash.

I am confused as to the problem with geomancy power herb, I mean I was using it for a while on my BP team but it worked like 80% of the time. I dont know I mean it is usually retardedly easy to predict them to switch into something that resists spore and then I just geomancy and BP and they havent done anything. Could someone explain why geomancy power herb isnt viable?

I am confused as to the problem with geomancy power herb, I mean I was using it for a while on my BP team but it worked like 80% of the time. I dont know I mean it is usually retardedly easy to predict them to switch into something that resists spore and then I just geomancy and BP and they havent done anything. Could someone explain why geomancy power herb isnt viable?
Smeargle is usually OHKOed by anything with an actual offensive stat.

Smeargle is usually OHKOed by anything with an actual offensive stat.
true but more often then not people are focusing about hazards or something not attacking. And the smeargle spore is so obvious that it usually gets them to switch which allows a free geomancy past. I understand it isnt as good but I certainly think its viable.

true but more often then not people are focusing about hazards or something not attacking. And the smeargle spore is so obvious that it usually gets them to switch which allows a free geomancy past. I understand it isnt as good but I certainly think its viable.
Err...most people either Taunt the Smeargle or try to kill it ASAP. Either that or they bring in whatever they have to absorb a Spore. But think about it, if you Geomancy Turn 1, and the opponent stays in, you are either dead or Taunted, and there's no difference either way.

Just pass a Shell Smash or Quiver Dance or something, that's a lot easier to get off, and a Shell Smashed Nidoking is the same as a Geomancy Nidoking really.

Err...most people either Taunt the Smeargle or try to kill it ASAP. Either that or they bring in whatever they have to absorb a Spore. But think about it, if you Geomancy Turn 1, and the opponent stays in, you are either dead or Taunted, and there's no difference either way.

Just pass a Shell Smash or Quiver Dance or something, that's a lot easier to get off, and a Shell Smashed Nidoking is the same as a Geomancy Nidoking really.
Yeah I agree, I think I just like the novelty of geomancy, but it is way too situational. I think I will just drop it lol

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Surely Shell Smash/White Herb is infinitely more efficient than Geomancy/Power Herb - the latter is a one-time only deal whereas the former could 'in theory' allow you to pass boosts again later in the match. An unlikely scenario given Smeargle's limitations but still more likely than getting the two free turns to execute Geomancy.

Smeargle is a Pokemon that should, almost by definition, get better every generation as he finds his already-bloated arsenal expanding with all the new moves that each generation brings. However, the Spore nerf has counteracted this and he finds himself far less consistent in Gen IV. And while yes, you can predict the Grass-type switch in and lay your hazards, Smeargle's ideal game-plan is to incapacitate a Pokemon AND lay hazards. Achieving only one of those goals is sub-optimal.

And then there's Defog...

Entry Hazard Smeargle faces a very unfriendly metagame and I would question his viability in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)