Smeargle's Studio General Thread: Spriting and Banners go here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks cool, although I'd suggest... uh, how to put it... you know kind of a blur of when things are moving fast, like Scizor's crystal sprite. I think that would make the kicks look cooler and faster.

That's pretty good. Some crit:
Firstly, it seems a bit too big :\

It should be about 30% smaller than what it is currently.

The 'eyelashes' look very uneven. Make them about the same width, and use the dark orange colour to smooth them out.

The shading on the body looks a bit square; try and make it a bit rounder. The big patch of light should be oval-shaped.

You should probably use some black on the outline to add contrast; use it to outline the parts in deep shadow.

Finally, you don't have to copy the shading on the official sprite completely; the priority is on making it look natural, not on copying the shading. This is most noticeable on the eyelids and the 'rays'. Some of the shading there looks rather unnatural; for example, the middle of the rightmost ray has no shading whatsoever. This works on the D/P sprite because it is smaller; however, on a larger sprite, it sticks out.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can never get anything right, jeez =/

And yeah, I've got no clue how to go about this proportion thing.

wichu isn't the whole idea over overpixieling art just copying the art. why should he change the shading then . to me it looks solid .+ its not a sprite its an over pixel so why should he change the proportions? i don't get it.

Yes, a motion blur. I was going to do that, but I thought it came out good enough that it didn't need a motion blur. Hmm, tried it though, and it definitely looks even smoother now. Of course, I guess thats a given considering how many frames I've pushed this thing to.

They're kind of entrancing.

Yes, that is cool.

Are you going to include all of the fully-evolved fighting types? If so, will that include Fist Plate Arceus and Arghonaut?

I can never get anything right, jeez =/

And yeah, I've got no clue how to go about this proportion thing.
Don't worry about it; the sprite itself is pretty good :)
It shouldn't take too long to resize it and clean up, anyway.
Wichu, what sprite are you basing your proportion standards on?
Not quite sure what you mean... They should be in proportion to this Red sprite:

The official player characters are around the same height, so going to the height comparison in the Pokédex gives you an idea of how big the sprite should be.
wichu isn't the whole idea over overpixieling art just copying the art. why should he change the shading then . to me it looks solid .+ its not a sprite its an over pixel so why should he change the proportions? i don't get it.
I'm pretty sure he made that sprite for the project I started. If it was an exact pixel-over, the shading would be very different. The shading there is based on the 4th gen sprite for Solrock.

EDIT: Also, WIP Lairon. Got the outlines done; now I just need to do the shading :)

Finally. :)

It's up now, guys. Now you can actually read the post that no longer exists!

Basic idea came from my knowledge of how whales emerge from the water. Normally they show lots of belly-blubber, so... I came up with this. Btw, the rocky-bush-like area at the bottom is going to resemble Diglett dirt on the actual sprite.

So, yeah, C+C on the drawing, since I use actual Hard Copy art as a base for the sprite after scanning it. So, speak between now and Sunday, or forever hold your tongue. Just kidding, comment all you like. :)

^And remember, C+C is highly smiled upon.^

Btw, I now know what it was that kept getting it deleted. You can't actually post non-sprite "I reserve this pose" posts. Go fig. :(

Alchemator

Xand it looks good, but I think another arm would make it better.

And Wichu, I'm really not getting this proportion stuff, maybe you could post the sizes each pokemon should be (or at least currently reserved ones or something)?

Have you got access to a Pokémon GBA or DS game? Have a look at the Pokédex entry of the Pokémon you're spriting, and see how big it is compared to the trainer. Then, resize the art you're using so it's roughly the same compared to the Red sprite. For example:

I hope you can see what I'm getting at :)

EDIT: Solrock should probably be a tiny bit bigger than in my picture :P

Alchemator

Is there any way to get a good size for the sprite or is it just a guess as long as it looks good? And I'm not making much progress with cleaning up Solrock (I'm useless aren't I D: probably more hassle than help).

I'm doing the line art for Tentacruel while I wait.

Pokemon marriland also has a small Pokemon size comparison screen.

e.g. http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/pokedex/raikou/
Ah, I knew there was one out there somewhere. I just forgot where it was. Thanks LR!

KINDA EDIT: Actually, that one's inaccurate :\ It uses the Pokémon's actual height, not the sprite height. This makes long Pokémon look way oversized: http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/pokedex/ekans
Is there any way to get a good size for the sprite or is it just a guess as long as it looks good? And I'm not making much progress with cleaning up Solrock (I'm useless aren't I D: probably more hassle than help).

I'm doing the line art for Tentacruel while I wait.
Have you got a drawing program which supports layers?
If so, open up the Red sprite on one layer, then paste the Pokémon art into another layer. Resize the art until it's in proportion with the trainer. Here's a screenshot from Paint.NET:

Here's a Meganium I posted a few pages back (ironically, before you even announced this project) but It fits about right, I think. The colours are taken from the art, rather than the sprite, and the shading too is from the art, but that should be quick and easy to sort. Is the size cool? It looks about right for Meganium, but it may be a little off... Thoughts? And then I can get to recolouring/reshading if you like.

Alchemator

Just as a note, over the next week while I don't have internet connection it is possible that I MAY do some of the following (not all of them though lol):

Ekans-Arbok-Tentacool-Tentacruel-Kangaskhan-Staryu-Starmie-Sentret-Furret-Murkrow-Stantler-Poocheyena-Mighteyena-Zigzagoon-Linoone-Wingull-Pelipper-Nosepass-Sableye-Meditite-Medicham-Plusle-Minun-Zangoose-Seviper-Solrock-Baltoy-Claydol-Kecleon-Wynaut-Bidoof-Bibarel-Ambipom-Drifloon-Drifblim-Glameow-Purugly-Chatot-Croagunk-Toxicroak-Probopass-Honchkrow

Obviously I won't get all of these done, but it would be nice if no-one chose any of these in the next week or so - Then again I can easily drop a few before tomorrow afternoon when I'm leaving.

This whole pixel-over thing seems pretty interesting. When people call it a "project", does it mean there's some specific goal? Are you trying to finish the entire Pokedex or something?

Also, I'm working on a Cresselia pixel-over. I'll probably post it here sometime soon.

EDIT: Thanks, Wombat. Anyway, my lineart is done. C+C, please.

EDIT: Changed background size to make it 160 by 160

Can't motivate myself to do Ludicolo's lines, so I'll start Articuno for now.

@Nik- Wichu started Pokemon Amethyst, which IIRC is a Pokemon game using Emerald as a guide. Correct me if I'm wrong.

:)

Hey guys, here's my WIP Lineart for Narbrawl. I added the other arm, too. Tell me what you think about it, cause I'm going to be finishing it up tomorrow.

^C+C is highly smiled upon.^

Yeah, we're trying to resprite all 493 Pokémon into 160x160 sprites. It's not only for Amethyst (although it did start off that way); it will be a public sprite resource when it's done.

Amethyst isn't based on Emerald at all. What made you think that? :\

Yeah, we're trying to resprite all 493 Pokémon into 160x160 sprites. It's not only for Amethyst (although it did start off that way); it will be a public sprite resource when it's done.

Amethyst isn't based on Emerald at all. What made you think that? :\
Damn it, my Cresselia is 154 by 164, or something like that. Should I resize the background a little?

By the way, will Amethyst be based off of a rom at all, or will it be an online game kind of thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)