Smeargle's Studio - What would *you* like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As you may or may not have read in Chou Toshio's Arterview this Smog issue, I asked him what could improve Smeargle's Studio. Later I thought, hell, why not ask this question to everyone who frequents the Studio?

So here's another of these threads for your opinions, suggestions, and criticisms (don't be too harsh though, eh?).

I'll keep this here for a week or two, so get posting!

Here's a proposal to consider:

Merging the Miscellaneous Request thread and the Spriting thread
There are quite a few posts in the MR thread about getting sprite avatars, which should be asked for in the Spriting thread and stuff like that. Since the banner-making community seems a little dilute anyway merging the two threads would make things tidier and could also contain a variety of miscellaneous things, with a community large enough to give feedback.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Except for a few threads, I rarely venture into Smeargles Studio, and for one reason.

1: Too much "good art!!!" posts. I don't understand why people feel the need to post after every piece of art saying "a++". Sure, I do that once in a while, but it's hard to find, unless you manage to see "Last post by <user>", an art update.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
1: Too much "good art!!!" posts.
unfortunately there is little to do in smeargles studio except post art and post your opinions on the art
i promise that anything that is deemed pc++ gets deleted but if there weren't any "good art" posts this forum would be much more stagnant

anyways i think there are too many stickies even though a few of them are necessary things like WSC update often enough that they stay on the front page anyways

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't mind those kinds of posts because it show that people are at least looking at the threads. It sounds shallow but I know I'd feel less motivated to post if my thread was just pages upon pages of my posts and nothing else.

Volmise

.:The Firefly Light:.
is an Artist Alumnus
I don't mind those kinds of posts because it show that people are at least looking at the threads. It sounds shallow but I know I'd feel less motivated to post if my thread was just pages upon pages of my posts and nothing else.
This.

On top of that though, I really don;t know how to make the forum more enjoyable or "active", especially for myself. I do like the slowness of it, to be quite honest.

Rather than add to the chaos of the two existing threads (request and spriting), would it at all be possible to make sub-forums?

It would make a clear distinction between artists, though I do not know if that is a desired effect.

Regarding what I would like to see, I just wish that there were more palpable artist to artist interaction. The reason BFFA was so successful was because each artist could smash on each other, develop their own style, and post in a thread that was not too critical. If you posted a bad piece, a new one would find it's place in only a few hours.

More novel ideas are to have a collaborations thread (where two or more artists work on a piece), responding to other artists in pictorial form (in hide tags if in their thread, and NOT in the style of Perfect Metapod), and finding a way to reward both exemplary and consistent efforts (it's easier for posters to applaud the former in a more vocal form).

Agreeing wholeheartedly with Fate and Volmise.
Merging Misc Requests and Spriting sounds good, as Misc Requests hardly gets responded to, so it would be better to merge it with Spriting which has more activity

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nothing wrong with this at all. It's only natural

For instance, no one is posting in my thread and I feel zero motivation (or maybe no one posting in my thread is a product of my zero motivation!?)

As pluff said though, all feedback is useful, even if it's just "wow pretty!"

Art is made for all people, not just articulate art critics.

Alchemator

Except for a few threads, I rarely venture into Smeargles Studio, and for one reason.

1: Too much "good art!!!" posts. I don't understand why people feel the need to post after every piece of art saying "a++". Sure, I do that once in a while, but it's hard to find, unless you manage to see "Last post by <user>", an art update.
I like how you've numbered your point even though you stated there was only one. Anyway, getting rid of these posts I think would encourage the wrong kind of culture. People would be afraid to post, because they wouldn't reach 'the standard'. Still, pc++ posts do get deleted around here -- it's a distinction quite easily made.

Rather than add to the chaos of the two existing threads (request and spriting), would it at all be possible to make sub-forums?

It would make a clear distinction between artists, though I do not know if that is a desired effect.
I don't think subforums are within the realms of possibility, much less for two dubiously-active threads.

Pravinoz said:
More novel ideas are to have a collaborations thread (where two or more artists work on a piece), responding to other artists in pictorial form (in hide tags if in their thread, and NOT in the style of Perfect Metapod), and finding a way to reward both exemplary and consistent efforts (it's easier for posters to applaud the former in a more vocal form).
Could you please elaborate on this idea?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Could we have an art thread index of some description? It occasionally becomes tiring for me to have to search out xyz random artist whose work I wanted to have a look at again, so it would be nice to have a sticky that enabled you to find them quickly. You could also include some "example work" from the more high-profile threads (Anyone remember Eiffel?), so as to highlight those great threads that have been lost to the mists of time.

EDIT: And the sprite/request threads get basically no traffic at all, merging them would be nice.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
more boobs

Maybe some more art related games would be good! I really find that the BFFA is good motivation to do art, but I think that there should be more games.

Alchemator

Could we have an art thread index of some description? It occasionally becomes tiring for me to have to search out xyz random artist whose work I wanted to have a look at again, so it would be nice to have a sticky that enabled you to find them quickly. You could also include some "example work" from the more high-profile threads (Anyone remember Eiffel?), so as to highlight those great threads that have been lost to the mists of time.

EDIT: And the sprite/request threads get basically no traffic at all, merging them would be nice.
I think this would be difficult to maintain, and the Search function works quite nicely.

Also I do remember Eiffel, he was damn good.

more boobs
Moo-bs.

E: Also don't think that my word is law here -- if you feel that your idea is right even when I disagree please continue to argue it and develop it further (within reason of course).

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
erg im kind of opposed to art thread index because i think that would encourage necros

AlchEdit: Editing other people's posts is fun. Anyway NJ is right on that count.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think this would be difficult to maintain, and the Search function works quite nicely.

Also I do remember Eiffel, he was damn good.

E: Also don't think that my word is law here -- if you feel that your idea is right even when I disagree please continue to argue it and develop it further (within reason of course).
The other point was that it would showcase these older, excellent art threads to newer users who may not have heard about them or have any inclination of what they are missing out on. This isn't just people like JSC and Eiffel, it could also apply to artists who don't update frequently, such as aragornbird and Wyverii.

IIRC Tangerine suggested something similar to go on-site roughly 2 years ago, but nothing came of it.

erg im kind of opposed to art thread index because i think that would encourage necros
Then lock old threads. If the users come back then they can PM a mod to unlock them. Simples.

I think I'm too new to really suggest anything of any significance however, I can say that thus far, the forums have been great. From what I've been reading, it seems that we just have to maintain the current status quo and continue to develop the artist community.

Despite that, I will put in my two cents just to add to the conversation productively. Has there been anything like a "Submission of the Week" or maybe something that highlights individual pieces? Maybe a "Smogon Muesum Gallery" where you take pieces that have just been awe-inspiring or just really good and maintain them in a sticky post?

With that you could still highlight older artist, showcase the new and have a collection of really great art that new and current members could be introduced too. Not to mention it shouldn't be too hard to maintain as you would only be adding those pieces you felt were deserving.

As for keeping the community involved, if enough interest were generated maybe there could be a general poll of sorts. Anyway. That's my idea. :)

I feel like there is not nearly enough "serious critique" that goes on here
it's all "hey this is super great".

I mean, naturally it's great to have a super positive environment and everything, but shouldn't people be posting here, to some extent, for critique, rather than just opinion?

Than again, we don't exactly have a bunch of people here who would be able to say "this is what you're doing wrong/ you could work on/ I don't like, and this is what you can do to change it".

\(._.)/

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
well there really isnt a rule against serious critique it just isnt something many people do

feel free to give it out it is perfectly within the boundaries of the forum!

well yeah, it's just I'd like to see more of it
you know because this is the thread where people are like: "this is what I'd like to see"?

on that note we have like 10 stickies or something
some culling would be nice

Well.....:D

What I would like to see isn't directly digital artwork or sketches. But what if we had threads dedicated to the other arts? Like video, photo's and music (music might be a bad example because I think we have a music thread). But why not expand the art that is brought into smeargle's studio?

What about a colab thread along the lines of the Super Spriting thread except for with drawings/art? I would allow people to occasionally post their art to be critiqued/complimented without an art thread (like if they didn't have time or enough art).

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i would love to make and find a way to organise a collab thread, favourite idea itt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)