Smogon and Gamefreak...?

Bridges look very simple, but if you look closely and see all the different elements -- it's a very complicated matter.

G4: And really, that's the perfect metaphor for Pokemon, isn't it?

JM: Yes, I agree.
I was looking for something to explain Pokemon to my friends.

While they may not be familiar with Smogon in particular, GameFreak is extremely aware of the competitive battling community. Head designer Takeshi Kawachimaru did an interview with G4 TV where he was quoted as saying:
Lolz finally an answer.

So yea. There we go.

Here's a nostalgia question: how DID you beat skarmbliss back in gen 2? I only sort of followed competitive pokemon back then, but did anyone like even learn enough moves... to do it? I remember offense sucked so much back then...

While they may not be familiar with Smogon in particular, GameFreak is extremely aware of the competitive battling community. Head designer Takeshi Kawachimaru did an interview with G4 TV where he was quoted as saying:
G4: What other Pokemon do you feel are "well thought out"?

JM: Spinda comes to mind.
=(

Regardless, this interview does show that they have an entire subteam dedicated towards making competitive battling more interesting.

Now I'm not familiar with the Japanese metagame but I do believe they play at level 50 and because of this, ban pokemon that aren't available until after that level such as Dragonite and Tyranitar.

Nite and Tar were the first psuedo-legends and aren't available until level 55. Just a guess but maybe GF saw the rise of a competitive metagame and thus gave us psuedo-legends obtainable before and at level 50 (Metagross lvl. 45, Mence lvl. 50, Chomp lvl. 48).

Just common sense from the battle factory. They give you tougher pokemon as you go on, and they always give you garchomp first, dragonite last. That, and Nintendo is generally very stupid. But I may be wrong.
Probably they just have an algorithm that values pokemon by base stat total and then by their highest stat if BST is the same. Makes sense to me. (I'm a prgrammer and I'd choose that comparison algorithm.) Of course, they KNOW it has its flaws, but it's the best you can get without doing everything manually.

Quataaaa said:
Here's a nostalgia question: how DID you beat skarmbliss back in gen 2? I only sort of followed competitive pokemon back then, but did anyone like even learn enough moves... to do it? I remember offense sucked so much back then...
- Growth Eeveelutions once they were released.
- Out-cursing and out-predicting skarm.
- Outstalling both of them... (yeah, I'm serious)
- Anti-Metagame mixed pokemon. After all, playing mixed attackers was not as hard as it is since RS. Thus, many pokemon (like Aerodactyl, Snorlax, ...) liked to pack a firestorm for scaring off skarm. I personally liked Golduck or Electabuzz with Cross Chop who could seriously threaten Bliss.

Probably they just have an algorithm that values pokemon by base stat total and then by their highest stat if BST is the same. Makes sense to me. (I'm a prgrammer and I'd choose that comparison algorithm.) Of course, they KNOW it has its flaws, but it's the best you can get without doing everything manually.

- Growth Eeveelutions once they were released.
- Out-cursing and out-predicting skarm.
- Outstalling both of them... (yeah, I'm serious)
- Anti-Metagame mixed pokemon. After all, playing mixed attackers was not as hard as it is since RS. Thus, many pokemon (like Aerodactyl, Snorlax, ...) liked to pack a firestorm for scaring off skarm. I personally liked Golduck or Electabuzz with Cross Chop who could seriously threaten Bliss.
dayum. what a ridiculous metagame. I think that is evidence that it really has grown since then. lol.

Also I'm looking at the smogon gsc tiers right now and it says that 27 pkm are ou for gsc. So i guess when gsc ended the ou metagame revolved around 27 pkm? dayum.

And now, in dpp, there are 49 ou pkm. Let's call it an even 50 because cresselia is the most used of the bl's and very viable in ou.

So 50 viable pkm in standard play.. i just feel like we haven't come far enough from gsc. I mean, we'd all love a metagame where like 100 pkm are viable in standard play. I really feel like that's everyone's secret fantasy, haha. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens gen 5....

As you can tell by my post count, I'm a bit new here, so my apologies if this has been asked before, but these question have been weighing on my mind for a bit:

Does Gamefreak care about smogon, shoddy, and more generally the online competitive pokemon metagame? Due to how fast battles happen online, how many battles happen online, and how easy it is to customize teams, the metagame is able to evolve exponentially faster on smogon/shoddy than it can in the wifi community. So to what extent does Gamefreak look at what is going on here to gauge overall quality of the battling environment in whatever particular generation is current, and then use that information to help make the next generation better?

For example, would they use the information from shoddy to realize that Garchomp is a cut above all of the non legendaries (and even many legendaries), then look at why he is too good, and then use that information to make things more balanced in generation 5?

In my opinion, the metagame has gotten more balanced progressively from gsc to rse to dpp. The ou, uu, and uber metagames have also gotten more interesting... and more strategic. And it really makes me think.... to what extent are they 'trying' to make the metagame more balanced and interesting? The quality of the competitive metagame is probably one of the smaller determinants of pokemons overall sales. Or maybe not... it's hard to say. But I'm sure that Gamefreak acknowledges and appreciates Smogon's existence, because at the end of the day Smogon probably helps Gamefreak's sales. By getting people into pokemon in general, and thus influencing them to go buy a DS and platinum, that is.

So yea. Just some food for thought. If anyone has any answers (or even guesses) to these questions... I'd love to hear your input and discuss!
No, and it's better that way.

Can you imagine some OFFICIAL tournaments with 0 creativity? I rather see the little kids having fun that "I HAEV TO WINS!!1ONE" teenagers.

dayum. what a ridiculous metagame. I think that is evidence that it really has grown since then. lol.
Actually, it was a pretty cool metagame.

Being able to exploit the maximun qualities of your pokemon (AKA "mixed" pokemon) it's very amusing.

Also, you don't decide the number of "OU" pokemon.

In fact, if there would be a changeable number of pokemon for the standard tier that would add another argument against them.

Nintendo doesn't prioritize competitive balance the way that card games do, because you get access to every component and strategy of the game your playing as soon as you drop $35 for the game. Once you drop that $35, your stuck with whatever competitive balance Nintendo has managed to put in the game, which you will not be aware of until much later after purchasing the game.

Card Games are different, you have to constantly get your players to pay you for your product over and over again, and you also have the ability to change the gameplay elements at will, even while players are playing the game. Players can stop buying your game at any time if they feel that it is not balanced or fair. This means keeping the game balanced so that a larger number of players can enjoy it and want to play, but also making cards rarer and more desirable than others so that gamers will spend more money on your product than they should be.

I wouldn't doubt that GameFreak knows about Smogon. If they didn't care about online competitive battles, they wouldn't put it in at all. There's got to be a few people who work inside the GameFreak/Official Pokemon that visit this site religiously, and report to the higher ups about the actually online battlers.

I wouldn't doubt that GameFreak knows about Smogon. If they didn't care about online competitive battles, they wouldn't put it in at all. There's got to be a few people who work inside the GameFreak/Official Pokemon that visit this site religiously, and report to the higher ups about the actually online battlers.
Big Brother is watching us...

<_<

>_>

<_<

When you think about it, Nintendo almost undoubtedly has people, at least one, monitoring different Pokemon fansites including Smogon. He may even be a member, more than likely some lurker (I'm onto you!). They've also probably got people at Serebii, PE2K, and other places. It would be utterly ignorant for them not to. They want to see how everyone who plays reacts to their games and systems, so I doubt they have that much interest in Shoddy Battle as discussion about the metagames and whatnot in general.

However while there are probably people here (if you want to be dramatic you can call them spies) from Game Freak just listening to what we have to say, competitive gamers are typically people over 12 years old or so and competitive Pokemon players make up very few people out of their entire markets when you consider that they direct most of their advertising and games toward kids around 14 or so and younger. So they don't take a lot of what we want into account and probably focus a lot more on the business aspect of game design, not how much 1% of their consumers crave for a Tauros evolution or Move Tutors for Rapid Spin. :/

I think a lot also depends on how you define "competitive gamers". Most of the younger kids that play Pokemon probably battle with other young kids that play Pokemon, and would be upset if their favorite Mewtwo was helplessly outclassed by the new legendaries. Or they would get bored easily if the game was a complete breeze to get through because of some broken Pokemon/move.

The factors which combine to make up the metagame (balanced pokemon, moves, and mechanics) probably take up 50% or more of the game design, as pokemon is a fighting game just as much as a collecting game.

Its about good salesmanship. While they may already have your money, they also need your repeat business, which can't always be ensured by a recognizable name... (Though there are a couple of sports games I can think of which provide noticeable exceptions)

what do you guys think would happen if we all made a petition for something like, give flareon flare blitz, or electivire volt tacke? I mean, we probably couldn't get signatures (this is the internet, and I can't go to australia just so someone can sign a petition) but if we got some support and ammased a big email with lots of support, mayby it could work?

what do you guys think would happen if we all made a petition for something like, give flareon flare blitz, or electivire volt tacke? I mean, we probably couldn't get signatures (this is the internet, and I can't go to australia just so someone can sign a petition) but if we got some support and ammased a big email with lots of support, mayby it could work?
Yeah, cool. Lets give pokemon with 130/123 base attack and 65/75 base HP respectively, a recoil move; switch in blissey and they'd kill themselves.

And a petition outside of Japan probably wouldn't work. Keep dreamin'.

Smogon and Gamefreak sitting in a tree
K
I
S
S
I
N
G
First comes Mew, then comes arceus
Then comes Smouchum in a baby carriage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)