Smogon Fantasy Football - 2011 NFL season

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can definitely attest to getting a bit of luck in CK's league: Who knew that Cam Newton would be the 4th rated QB for the hapless Panthers?

But in all honesty, I like the massive rosters and flexibility that this league provides. I'm open for any and all league types next season; auction, standard, keeper, whatever. I just hope that we retain some of what makes it different from your standard ESPN or Yahoo league that's out there.

Well Biggie I personally participated in these types of leagues this year:

doubled up roster
16 OP 8 DP starting roster 20 team league (this draft was a motherfucking nightmare and with 40 slots on each team there were no FA pickups to be had since week 3 in general...your Roy Helus were still drafted by some team; this is the only league I will not repeat lol)
every position relatively equal points except kicker (includes defensive players not DST)
QB worth 3x points - only allowed 3 QBs on your roster, and of course Rodgers/Brees/Brady all went for $80+ in the draft
every position worth ridiculous points with scores varying from about 400 to 3000 and 20 teams (doubled up roster on top of that!)

They were all fun, I may just repeat one of each league next year. I only participated in 10 leagues this season to find out what I found ideal about fantasy football, and I really find it to be the different types of leagues you can have. What is fun about joining a cookie cutter league every year?

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm definitely considering adding defensive players to the fold next year. Probably won't go with a Keeper league just yet because it's difficult to keep those going every year if people drop off. Keeper leagues are better for people you know will continue to participate year after year, and that's difficult to guarantee with an online community like this one.

I'm also thinking the best way to maintain league integrity would be to separate the leagues into "Divisions", and each year users move up/down depending on how they did and how active they were. D1 would be the top division, D2, and D3 etc. All newcomers would have to start in D3 and work their way up. After each season the top 4 in each division would move up and the bottom 4 would move down, keeping things interesting and giving more people the opportunity to progress. If a person is obviously an inactive but still manages to stay out of the bottom 4, they would still be bumped down in place of the 4th lowest person (ie in a 12 person league if the inactive person came in 8th place, they would be bumped down and the 9th place player would be allowed to remain in that division).

This is just the groundwork obviously, but I want to get more people involved in the planning, hosting, and advertising for these leagues so it entices as much participation from smogon as possible. All ideas are welcome.

I think I saw somebody post about doing a keeper league next year. I'd definitely be up for doing a keeper league with an auction draft.
Memememememe (I'm interested)

I'm fine with Waterbomb's idea of basing the separated leagues on seniority, but that's basically how it already is (if you consider league A to be the "top" league)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you're correct tad, I just want it to be more organized and rules to be plainly set so there isn't misconception about who is where

I've got a matchup in my personal league next week that will decide who wins the division and the first round bye, which guarantees at least $200, and Forte gets injured in the first quarter. Not only that, but there's an early report that Adrian Peterson will miss next week too!

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost next week, but the week after I'd have to win or else I get nothing :(
Gonna be a tough matchup this week, especially if Peterson is out.

I've got Romo, Benson, Barber (or Peterson if he's healthy), Jennings, Gates, and Gronkowski.

He's got Fitzpatrick, Bush, McCoy, Megatron, Welker, and Robinson.

On the other hand, Austin's supposed to be back thus making Robinson the backup, plus Miami's run defense has been great which might hinder McCoy. Still, Forte's injury literally could not have happened at a worse time for fantasy owners or the Bears :x

Four teams are still alive for the last two playoff spots in League C, but the HEAD SMASHERS are so far behind in points scored (the first tiebreaker) it's really only down to 8-5 Steeler, 8-5 Darkslay, and 7-6 coolking. The only tiebreaker is points scored, but all three teams are within 20 points scored of each other. Coolking would have to win, have one (or both) of the other two lose and outscore them by about 15-20 points in week 14 in order to make the playoffs, while Steeler/Darkslay only have to win or not be outscored by coolking.

Also my desperate Nicks for Blount trade looked FANTASTIC last week, if I do say so myself.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
McCoy and Megatron could both be landed if you had a late pick in round 1 (11 or 12), and welker fell to r3 and 4 in many leagues because of his less than stellar year last year. Remember that before this season began, McCoy wasn't widely considered to be in the "top 5" RB group, so it's very conceivable he fell to late round 1. I actually have McCoy and Megatron in another 12 man league, and I was the 12th pick.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
McCoy was #3 on my board at the beginning of the season tbh

get on my level
Same. I got him in my other league on the cheap. The only two running backs I had ranked ahead of McCoy at the start of the season were AP and Ray Rice!

Not to mention I wanted Welker this season but a pick or two before me got him!

As for Megatron, well I had the choice between him and Roddy White and I chose White based on consistency last year -_-

killah i thought you got the raw end of that deal as blount was set to explode the next few weeks

but i guess not

also here's to not getting outscored by coolking this week

I know this thread's not really for start/sit advice, but Benson (vs Houston) or Barber (vs Denver)?

Houston's got the best run D in the league (or close to it or something), but I doubt that the score in that game will get out of hand so the Bengals will probably run the ball a lot. Chicago's sucked on offense lately, so if they get behind a lot Barber will be effectively neutralized.

Not a good choice to have to make the week before the playoffs start :x

edit: disregard, Peterson's out, fml

it's time to whine again!!

first round of playoffs

my bench outscored my starters. uuuuughhhggghhhhhhh. the sad thing is i could defend every roster move i made that week except starting austin over any of the other WRs (rookie mistake, was not high on brown or jones this week and robinson looked more "questionable" than austin). i basically lost to matt ryan (FUCK 6 point pass TD leagues), mason crosby, ravens D, and RYAN FUCKING GRANT.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Your opponent should've lost for the simple fact that they started Heyward-Bay at all. Can't really fault you on any roster move except Austin over any of your benched WR, but you said that already. Tough break, man. Side notes: 1) were there no other QBs in your FA pool that you could've picked up? 2) You really like the NFC East with 3 players from DAL and NYG.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Steeler, I'm surprised at you for not starting Antonio Brown the way he's been playing. As a Steelers fan you should know better than most. Hope you don't make this same mistake again bro :D

myeah, but i was sold on the whole "mendenhall's gonna pound the rock, ben's not gonna do shit!!!" motif, and i thought i was especially right after ben almost broke his damn foot off. i figured wallace would possibly get a long bomb, but not brown. and aside from the punt return TD, brown hadn't done shit the previous week either.

julio was just me not trusting what i knew, which was that julio had been getting really unlucky since his return with getting looks from ryan and such, not him sucking or anything.

biggie, let me give you the top FA QBs:

mark sanchez
andy dalton
colt mccoy
tarvaris jackson
sexy rexy
and the random QBs that are starting for injured players, like Yates and Moore

i was confident that oakland would lose big but that palmer would put up wonderful garbage time stats.

btw robinson/jacobs were waiver adds for my injured drafted players, so you can basically count those 4 guys as two roster spots. i've been swapping TEs constantly, ballard happened to be the guy this week (and not a bad choice). murray was just a bomb-ass random add right before he went off against st. louis. yes, i did play him that week.

regardless, i'm content with how i did in that league considering
1) i didn't realize this was a 6 point TD pass league until well after week 1
2) i drafted peyton manning (in the second round holy shit???)
3) my entire draft was pretty shit, i was utterly unprepared. i can go into details if you care (i'm sure you don't) but let's just say hines ward, mike thomas, and ryan fucking grant are involved.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
3) my entire draft was pretty shit, i was utterly unprepared. i can go into details if you care (i'm sure you don't) but let's just say hines ward, mike thomas, and ryan fucking grant are involved.
Haha similar boat here... Miles Austin, DJax (fuck you holy crap), Mike Thomas, Ryan Grant.

Luckily I got Ray Rice and Aaron Rodgers in the first two rounds so they have been carrying my team.

Fantasy Playoffs start next week in League B! I'm still surprised HeroMasaki went 10-4 while being 8th in scoring lol. He has a good team though.

#1 Fabbles (10-4), 2047.38 PF vs #4 HeroMasaki (10-4), 1815.74 PF
#2 Lakers (10-4), 1984.26 PF vs #3 Stallion (10-4), 1969.06 PF

Posted predicts already but if everyone is healthy on HeroMasaki's team I think he takes it vs Lakers in the final. All 4 teams have been doing well lately though so it is definitely up for grabs, pretty excited.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
So looks like I got fucked on when it comes to my Running backs and their injuries -_-. Still looking forward to the finals though, hopefully I get to meet Fabbles in a clash of the Ravens fans!

Well in League A we almost had the sweetest comeback of all time, but sadly MrE aka the Grinch crushed my hopes of making the playoffs. Down a game and 45 points scored going into this week, I thoroughly stomped my opponent (paul) and E lost his matchup as well (to Synre). After a magical performance by Brandon Jacobs on SNF, I was ahead of E by 49 points (on the week) coming into tonights game.... but the Seattle defense quickly erased any hope I had by scoring the first TD of the game =[

In League A, 4th place - 9th place all finished with a 7-7 record. I guess that made it pretty cool for all of the people competing for a playoff spot.

I was in 1st place easily with a 2 game lead over 2nd. :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)