Finals Smogon Premier League IX - Finals [Won by the Wi-Fi Wolfpack]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grats Wolves.

Kanto-- Thank you for the special shout out it truly means a lot to me knowing I had such an impact on one of the best players in this SPL. All you had to do was believe in yourself because you had it all along. Looks like we both have the same trophy now, but it seems yours got some xtra shine to it.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
more irreverent garbage
lurk more

also, some shoutouts:

BKC: Kev, I've been rooting for you since day 1. If you put your mind to it, you're winning this shit next year. If you don't, it doesn't matter--you're going down as GOAT either way. Finally, I wanna point out that I have a 100% SPL win rate and always make the right plays when using teams with mons named Kevin. It's like you're ghosting me through the nicknames or something idk but that shit works.

SoulWind: I respect you so much as a player and as a person. In addition to being one of the top mid gens dudes out there, you're one of the most honest + consistently sportsmanlike guys still playing. I miss our ladder runs in the late BW suspect rounds, and I'm glad you're having success with the game now.

roscoe + Jirachee: you two are great and I dearly miss teaming with you both. Even though Roscoe's a little degenerate.

soulgazer: props to you on the excellent season, even if your teams are all a lil Noivern weak. You were the guy I was most scared to play, and I enjoyed all our convos in the washed up scRUbs discussion (obviously a joke b/c the only one really washed up is SV).

mael: idk what happened towards the end of the season, nor do I give a damn; there's no such thing as a good team tour without some drama. As far as I'm concerned you're a great dude and a great player, and I'm sorry you didn't get the chance to play as much as you'd have liked this season. I always enjoy our short conversations and occasional games. Be confident in yourself and your self worth; you're a damn good guy.

Nails: :shaymin: :uds: :red_panda: also you're inarguably my favorite person even though you counter teamed me in that one spl3 match (rude hello). Sorry I had to bail on VGCs twice now, but I promise I'll make it work someday.

Pearl: logged in exactly once in those two years I was gone, and saw the "miss you" and "still do" posts on my wall. You've been one of my day 1s on smog, from the earliest days of bw ru till now. I'm so proud of what you've accomplished here, and hope that you are too; you've done more to make this site a better place than almost anyone else I know, and that's something that'll hold up in peoples' memories long after thoughts of 16x16 trophies have faded. Thank you for all the work you've done here, and thank you for being an excellent friend.

TonyFlygon, KratosMana: sorry I only won 6. I my defense I pegged myself as a "~7 win player" so there was room for a little ambiguity.

Ajna: it was awesome to get to know you this season. I think you're one of the dudes who's the future of the tier I've spent so much playing time on. Your playing is absolute fuckin fire and you're going to bring a legitimacy to RU that I never could. Keep playing, keep winning, and kill it in the future.

SilentVerse: you're my favorite Canadian of all time (a mean feat given Atticus spent at least two SPL seasons complaining about me doing dumb stuff) and one of my best friends here. I hope you don't spend too much time on data structs homework and instead dedicate that time to valuable pursuits such as league and winning games with Vivillons.

Nat: can't forget about the MVP. Congrats on the perfect season, all around excellent play, and generally being a homie. You're one of the friendliest individuals I've met on this site, and always great to talk to. Some of your team building is a lil suspicious (Golisopod is a strictly less cute Samurott) but all our games have been pretty damn fun. Hope things keep going ok w/ balancing everything in life, and keep up the RU.

PDC: PDF, I'm not sure how you tolerate finch 24/7 nor how you manage to record showdown streams in the lobby of your dorm (respect though; gotta have balls of iron to do that), but it was great to catch up this season and you were a fantastic presence in the Bigs chat. Hope to see you back for WCOP, and hope to properly team with you in the future.

crayon pop: don't let the love cave die it's the only disc I'm in where I don't get relentlessly bullied ;_; real talk though, despite not really knowing who you were until probably week four of the season, it was great to get to meet you and you added a ton to the chan. Sorry my attempt to set up you and Nat didn't work out properly ( ;_; ) but dw I'm sure you'll find someone else!!!
@ru dudes who consistently rank me 10th: I've been either the top or #2 RUer every time I've played a full season fam. Not tryna let that slip :pikuh:

bro fist, d0nut: you two go together. I've legitimately been playing mons with you guys for over a third of my life, and it's been good since day one. I miss the old xats and I miss the old crowd, and getting to team with you two this season was one of the best things that could've happened to me. Both of you got me through really developmental stages in my playing career, and both of you helped me through the toughest parts of this season and the moments when I was ready hang mons entirely and bail on the team. John you were worth every penny of the 31k, and d0nut, you clutched the games we needed you to. Thank you both for everything you've done for me, from 2009 till now.

Hot N Cold: you made me the player I was this season. I probably used variations on your teams in half my matches, and went something like 4 - 1 with them. You kept me interested in the tier, interested in the game, and held me accountable for building and keeping my play intact. It was great to talk to you about everything, from past experiences to future dreams. Our conversations helped me stay grounded throughout the season, and I'm happy to have wrapped things up as close to you as I am now.

Eo Ut Mortus: you're a legend b. You've been around and killing it since long before I was old and washed up, and unlike the rest of us from back in the day, you've managed to age like fine wine. Props to you on finally having the excellent season you deserved (not so hot take: you were the top SM OUer this season). Hope everything goes well in the job search (and you avoid having to sleep on any airport floors), and you end up raking in that quant hedge fund $$$.

Posho: panch panch. I know you didn't have the season you wanted to, but sometimes bad luck just happens; it's the nature of this dumb game that we play. You've been on a strong trajectory upward since day one, and a few blips along the way will only make you a stronger and more resilient person in the long term. I legitimately think you're the brightest rising star on this site, and expect big things from you in the next few years--if you choose to continue. You could quit tomorrow and you'd go down as one of the top players ever. panch panch.

Kushalos: it was great to see you grow as a player this year. Thank you for your help in building and testing, and for keeping me grounded and forcing me to take all my games seriously. You did a ton for me this season, and I wouldn't have been half the player I was without your support. As I've said for all the new age RU people so far: I think you're on the upswing, and keep racking up wins. I fully believe in your ability to pull of a sweep in some major this year--slam, snake, wcop, hell even tour if you wanted. You're one of the gutsiest guys out there, and keep putting it to good use.

xray: second time teaming is the charm. Early season I was very conflicted about being on the Bigs, and wasn't above pressuring Finch to trade me to the Raiders. Your support from day one kept me from seriously pursuing this route, and was a key step in making me feel welcomed and at home on the team. You were a driving factor in keeping us in contention from week one onwards, and stuck it to everyone who doubted, so props on your solid record in one of the most competitive tiers in this tour. Also: be sure to get Cosine180 out of his self-induced TagPro prison sometime so I can say hello. ^_^

Triangles: Dante, where do I even begin. This was the second time we've been able to team together, but the first time I really had the chance to get to know you, and I appreciated it wholly. You helped me a ton with my own ADV building and playing, and even though you had some shitty luck in several games, absolutely played your heart out when it mattered. Thanks for being the carry we needed.

Mr.E: probably the most iconic man on this site. Grouchy old man vibe aside (and god knows you've earned it; you've been playing this game competitively since I was a toddler), you were a great presence in the channel and an awesome competitor. I think you're criminally underrated as a player (@managers buy this man next year wtf lol don't let a top 3 GSCer go for 3k) and came in super clutch when it mattered. Also, thanks for thrashing Tiba--always appreciated.

marcoasd: strong records in RBY despite having some of the worst luck known to man is no mean feat, yet you somehow pulled it off. Thank you for everything you contributed to the team in terms of morale, old gens support, and of course, your excellent play. I didn't get to know you as well as I'd have liked, but I only look back at our interactions positively. Thank you for all the work you put into the team this season.

Manipulative: I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you the team support I should've. I overestimated my own familiarity with the still developing UU meta, and found myself in a position where I was unable to offer the building and testing help I planned. I also know that you didn't have the season you'd have liked, but when you were good you were flat out incredible. I watched you play through what I thought were unwinnable games and somehow pull out the Ws, and I can safely say that you've got plenty of potential as a player in the upcoming tour seasons.

Jhon: we didn't get to talk as much as I'd have liked, but when we did get the chance to exchange words, I always left with a good feeling about the exchange. Again, I know you didn't have the season you'd have liked, but you played very well in by far the most challenging and complex tier, and I deeply respect the effort you put into SPL.

And finally, the big two:

Tokyo Tom + Finchinator: TT, Josh, thank you for taking a chance on me this season. I was about as unknown a variable as you could ask for--old and washed up, hadn't played out a full tour in over a year, and seemed slated to go for more than I was worth. You two fostered the most welcoming and supportive team environment I've ever been in, and you know I've played in a lot of these. The work that both of you did to support this team cannot be understated. Finch, you watched literally every game played, was on each and every day to support players, and probably played nearly a thousand test and practice games between the members of the team. TT, you were there backing Finch from the start and helped carry us through the toughest moments of the tour. You two pulled me back into this game to an extent no other manager combo would've been able to; I would've quit nearly any other team by midseason, but the team you guys built kept me engaged and enjoying the game. Thank you for being the absolute best managers I could've asked for, and I'm sorry I couldn't pull off the week 9 win to push us through to the playoffs.

I'm sure I missed someone--a huge number of people went into making this tour special for me. I have to give brief shoutouts to Ciele, elodin, Jayde, Rewer, Folgorio, z0mOG, and whistle for helping pull me back into the mons community. It was great to reconnect with all of you. I also neglected individual shoutouts for tons of people on other teams who were instrumental in making this season a great experience, so in a line: Thank you all.

pce

Last edited:
AWOO! we did it. I’m very glad my first big tournament experience went that way, although my record wasn’t all that great I still think I’ve done my best. It was very stressful but I am very happy that my team was friendly as hell and made me feel comfortable from the very first day. I really hope I’ll be able to live another experience like this one.
Special thanks to TonyFlygon and KratosMana, thank you for believing in me and giving me the chance to prove something, I hope I didn’t disappoint you. Thank you Tony for always being hella supportive and giving such sweet messages, you both were the best managers I could ask for. #FreeAnti
shiloh thx so much for helping me get here, I wouldn’t have a trophy next to my name if you didn’t help me or literally any other wolf. You deserve this trophy as much as any one of us, you’re the best and idc what haters will say.
I don’t feel like doing individual shoutouts for every single person on the team because I don’t have a lot of things to say about every single one of y’all, but thanks again for making me feel good from the start. It was very weird sitting with big names such as ABR, but you were hella friendly and it felt like home! I’ve had a lot of fun with all of you, making yall guess whether girls are traps or not... which is something Cynde will never be good at (but I still love you the most....). I’m not gonna name you all but you guys already know that I love EVERY one of you guys and I’m so proud that we got this trophy!
Final shoutout to Eternally, thanks for sticking with me through this whole tour and helping me everytime I needed it. Love you and my NU friends.
btw soulgazer and Void r my lovers

Obviously, shoutouts to stupid ass bitch Gilbert arenas for bullying me through this, at the end of the day one of us got 6-0d during their first and only spl game and got banned, while the other has a trophy. It be like that sometimes, dingus.

Last edited:

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
thanks for carrying my dumbass ya'll. i'm real sorry i didn't manage to bring a win for you guys but i'd like to believe i was still useful in other ways. this was my first major team tournament and it was loads of fun despite my playing shortcomings. I really enjoyed talking to and getting to know most of you over the course of these past few months and i'm really happy the team environment was such a good place to be in. It definitely made it a lot easier for a new guy like me to try and gel with you all. It's fuckin lit that after all those months it got capped off with a trophy.

special shoutout for TonyFlygon for being an absolute gem of a manager and never letting his (sometimes really obvious worries) affect any of the players. you were a constant source of motivation and your personality, support, and encouragement made it incredibly easy for me and I'm sure others as well to try and do their best and ensure they did everything that they could for the team. I couldn't be happier to have been a part of your team. Like Ciro said, you always preached comfort before anything else and it went a long way in shaping the team's environment. I also really really appreciate you checking up on me when things were pretty rough a few weeks back. Ily Tony and I'm super happy that you finally got a trophy.

KratosMana I hope you end up seeing this. We really missed you and your morale support in the final week and a half I really really wish you could have enjoyed this moment with us. Come back soon <3

@whateverrozesisnow after ABR you were probably the biggest workhorse ensuring the NU bunch had heat teams ready week after week, compiling scouting reports for basically every tier, and helping test in all of them to boot. You deserve this trophy as much as anyone in the pack does. You still a bitch for hating on my FIRE avatars and putting me in timeouts more than once tho.

The tournament goons (ABR, Fear, Asta, Void SW, SG and Trosk) really pulled their weight and it was damn fun watching them prep and play and just showed why they are considered the best players on this website and they had some of the most enjoyable moments to catch live, ABR vs TDK in the finals (both times) comes to mind, Fear's HP Flying Dragonite were some of my favourites. Just the amount of detail and thoroughness with their preparation was really inspiring and they really set the tone for how everyone should be going about their prep / playing. Void you going from an average start to crushing it 5-0 in UU and DPP is one of the best turnarounds I've seen, so glad you decided to play after you actually woke up.

Rob, Rodri, Tin, and Ciro goat 3kmen you guys really showed you were worth a lot more than what you were paid for and really came through when our team needed you to so I'm super happy for you guys that you could do so well n_n. I just wish you could have been with us from the beginning Rodri, would have been double the fun n_n (and double the nidorino pics). Earthie I'm just super glad you were in the team because you were the only person I had actually spoken to before @_@ and having someone with your fun personality just made everything a whole lot easier, I'll catch onto your trap game one day xoxo ;o.

To the other members of our team Mana, Aldo, and Rui, I dont think it needs to be stated that your help was invaluable and I really enjoyed talking to you all. Mana you're a fire teammate :blobnom: and i hope you become a lit as fuck break dancer someday (as long as you send me more vids ;o). Aldo I was super happy that everyone was okay with having you along for the ride, it's a great feeling to have a good friend like you around for something important like this. Always glad to have your company b. Rui I only started talking to you properly during the latter half of the season which makes me sad because you were a super fun guy to talk to between dominating the best tier of all time (USM ZU) to now your runescape riches. Dont give void freebies btw!! charge that lazy bum! I really hope you stick around <33

Gosh this was great. Love you wolfpack! Awoooo!!!

Last edited:

GGFan

Banned deucer.
Metalgross lost, that's nice.
But to say BKC deserved the same fate would make me as cold as ice.
Whoever doubted the Ninja was an idiot,
for he proved himself in more ways than a million.
ABR claimed that my testicles were ravaged with pain,
but I can't even fathom what his manhood would go through for the trophy he would gain.
Farewell all, thank you for everything.
Friend or foe, the time I spent with you was truly quite merry.

This tournament has been a long and intense one, but it has finally reached its conclusion. A lot of hard work went into it and seeing that pay off is a beautiful thing - I'm truly glad to have experienced this SPL. To my teammates, and everyone else who helped us along the way, I have some individual words for each of you.

TonyFlygon: Well, it's fair to say we've been through a lot since you drafted me in SSD. Our personalities meshed really well whether it was pokemon related or not, and I consider this a large reason why we had success but also a good amount of fun. You're a hard working guy and you deserve this more than any other SPL manager. I'm really glad we were able to win this one together.

KratosMana: Talking with you every day since we made the server was a really good time. You were a very fun and helpful presence and I simply enjoyed having you around. At the end of the day though, you were basically an opinion to trust. Your experience in past SPLs and tournaments in general led to me having a lot of faith in you as a manager. I hope to see you around soon <3

shiloh: I know you understand this already but you were undoubtably as much of a Wolf as the rest of us. This season wasn't possible without you and I seriously appreciate all the selfless time you put into it. You basically helped every single tier and of course made some awesome NU teams in the process. Beyond that, though, I had a great time with you as another manager and a person to talk to.

~

Astamatitos: Even after things weren't going your way you kept your chin up, worked hard every week, and won a big tiebreak game for us - that means a lot to me. You're a really great guy and I had a nice time working with you in ADV.

Cynde: I imagine you hoped for a better record but you never once let it dampen your spirit, and I respect that. On top of that, you also played a key role in supporting the UU slot throughout the season. Your overall presence and positivity is admirable and contributed to the fun of the chat on a day to day basis.

Earth: I hope you're able to shake away any nerves and play with full confidence in the future. You didn't do as well as you'd have liked but you gave it your all and that's all I can ask for. You're also just a fun guy to have around.

Fear: You definitely exceeded my expectations going into this SPL. I wanted to retain you for a decent record but I never expected a 9-1 because I never saw how you operated before. I had an absolute blast working closely with you every single week and feel as if I was learning GSC the more I spoke with you. You're a very smart player and I'm glad your work paid off this tournament.

marilli: This wasn't your best tournament but we both know how capable you are. I know it gets you down at times but there's no doubt that you have it in you to succeed so just keep your chin up. It was also really nice to team with you again and I'm glad you got to share in the redemption with Tony and I.

Nails: Despite only playing 2 games you played an important role in supporting TIN and also acted as a mature voice of reason when the team needed it. You're a good guy to have around.

PokeTCG gamer1288: The GOAT sub. I think I speak for everyone in saying that you were a huge part of the team's success in a variety of ways. Not only did you help test with a lot of people all the time, but you took over UU after mids and totally dominated. It was great to see you improve as the season went on. You're the man.

Rodriblutar: The preseason trade drama was silly but I'm glad we ended up getting you in the end. You're a very talented player and gave us some key wins when we needed it.

soulgazer: You were someone always on our radar going into the draft because we wanted a consistently dominant lowtier player who'd step up when needed and that was you. There's no doubt that your prep was probably the most stressful thing but seeing you play it well when it came down to it made it worthwhile. I really don't know a lot about RU but it was pretty cool getting to build some for you and I learned more as the season went on. I also just had a lot of fun hanging around you all the time and I'm glad we got to know each other better through this tour.

SoulWind: From the very beginning I knew you were the only BW slot to consider. You put on a very impressive performance this SPL and clutched a ton for us whenever the situation arose. You're an absolute beast in the tiebreaks and even quickly got your DPP mojo back for the finals one - you had some seriously well played games this tour. We've been friends since we teamed in SPL 7 so I'm extremely glad we were able to win this one together.

The Idiot Ninja: I didn't have many expectations for a 3k RBY'er but you had some great games this tour. I know you aren't happy with your later performances but we both know you have the high capability within you. You also actively helped Marilli a ton which was unexpected from an RBY player but definitely made a difference.

Trosko: From the very beginning I was thrilled to get you on the team because it meant taking some weight off my shoulders in SM / ORAS, and you're a very good player overall. I was genuinely impressed with your building and playing more and more as the tournament went on - you're seriously one of the more knowledgeable people in this game. I very rarely can say that I trust someone else to make a good team or I trust someone else to make the intricate and proper plays but you meet both criteria. I had a great time working with you man.

Updated Kanto: Talk about steal of the tournament. You were a last resort pick but boy did you exceed every expectation I had. You somehow improved nearly every week and it was awesome seeing you grow as a person and player throughout this whole thing. I'm glad you had such a good time working with me because I had a blast working with you and building in ORAS as well. You're extremely talented and I'm excited to see how you develop in future tournaments, best of luck with everything.

Void: You're one of the most talented all around players I've witnessed and it's wonderful to see you play. Not to mention you started out 2-3 and had a magical turnaround to finish it off 7-3. You didn't start too hot but then you decided it was time to win and played a key role in closing out the tournament for us.

~

Mana: You get a special mention because you were in our chat even before the season started and helped us throughout. You're a really smart player and you gave valuable input in many places; it was particularly appreciated with the SM OU prep. Thanks for sticking around the whole time and just being a part of the team.

col49: Similarly to Mana you were in the chat day 1 but you had that break between mids and finals. You pretty much just helped anyone who needed anything but in particular you were a good opinion to have with the lower tier prep so thank you for that.

RU gang: Huge shoutout to MrAldo for being there every week but also Nat lighthouses and of course col as mentioned above for putting up with SG's madness.

DPP gang: crayon pop you were there to help Void day 1 and I really appreciate that. You're by far one of the smartest DPP minds out there and it was great to see your stuff. PDC thanks for joining once playoffs started and having a lot of good insight about DPP but also some other tiers as well.

DOU gang: sam-testings you were always cheering for us but you also helped out Marilli alongside Paraplegic. I appreciate that from the both of you.

ggs

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
Well, it’s over. I’ll push conflicting feelings aside and just act like my ‘0-2 in playoffs’ ass deserved any part of this because it’s time to celebrate, but I will say that I feel incredibly lucky to have been drafted on the best team of SPL9 and that this was the best possible introduction to official team tours I could have ever wished for. I wish I was able to write this post with the same confident and somewhat cocky attitude I had at the start/middle of the tour but it vanished as I started taking Ls :x Still, I suppose 5-5 is decent for my first SPL, but I’m not happy that it wasn’t 7-3 or better. But, I was also pleased to find out not all big smogon tours are shady as fuck and people actually play by themselves sometimes! And that’s about it for the introspective part of this post.

Wolfpack, you guys were incredible. On the field and off the field. Every single one of you was a great player with a great mindset and we’ve had literally no internal conflict at any point which made things super pleasant from start to finish. I have mad respect for so many of you and it’s actually ridiculous how stacked this team was. More in hide tag, I suppose.

TonyFlygon - Now I’ve not had first hand experience with many smogon managers, but I get the strong feeling that you’re the best manager this site has ever seen. Insane finessing abilities to get the best out of any odd situation, amazing draft plans, and you’re fantastic at making sure everyone is feeling good about things and keeping a positive environment throughout. You pretty much have the full package of things you need as a manager. And you’re also just a nice, pleasant person to be around. I have nothing but positive things to say about you, it’s no coincidence that your managing results have been spectacular. Your support and gassing especially throughout the first parts of the tournament really helped me out tons. Enjoy your hard earned red and expect more to come. :fire: :flag_nl: :weary: :goat: (Also your puns are top notch. Sometimes I still think of “lmao guys I can’t breathe; asthmamatitos” and chuckle to myself, and iirc that one happened before week 1)

KratosMana - Of all people I’m probably the one who owes you a shoutout the most, because I’ve been told you pushed pretty damn hard to get me on the team after those tryout games. I honestly haven’t interacted much with you because I didn’t contribute to the same tiers you contributed to, but I can’t not show appreciation for what you did for me and I hope I lived up to your expectations when you pushed so hard to get me over others. You deserve credit for all your contributions in making the mind-bogglingly good draft plans, as well. It’s sad that you don’t get to enjoy the prize for a victory you most definitely earned.

shiloh - Unofficial assman, you were also a huge part of making up a fantastic draft plan and team atmosphere. I really really appreciated the support and encouragement from you, waking up or staying up at ungodly times (or at least trying to) for my games, and getting told week fucking one that “this is the first time I don’t regret staying up to watch mons” because of one of my sets, really put me in the right mindset for the tournament and motivated me to do well. And all the prep assistance in all the tiers was top notch as well. You’re a great guy, teaming up for EGL was fun too and I hope we get to interact more in the future n_n

ABR - I’m not sure where to start with you because you’re just that kind of jaw-droppingly incredible player. I have seriously no idea how you managed to keep up with prep for 10 or more tiers some weeks, and there is one particular moment which you probably forgot quickly but I won’t forget easily where you rushed over to #rby, checked in and worked with me for some good 30 minutes making sure I had everything finalized down to the last moveslot, and then went “whew. I just wish everyone else was done with prep.” and scurried off to another channel to prep for them too. I won’t forget that moment because I had some kind of realization about just how hard you were working for us and just kinda went ‘holy fuck. This guy really fucking deserves this trophy.’ It’s honestly no surprise that you win so much when you have this kind of dedication, coupled with natural talent and a perfect mindset. True GOAT. Thanks for the support throughout, it was a surprise and a pleasure to see that you know your fair share of RBY as well. (also i sorta die of laughter thinking back to when drunk me came to wolfpack chat and started calling you arenaman i don't know why it's so funny to me)

Astamatitos - I know this tournament feels somewhat bittersweet for you because you wanted to do better, but dude, you still did really fucking good and 5-7 is still impressive when you consider you got frozen once per game for a ridiculous amount of weeks in a row. These numbers lie, you were a fundamental pillar of the team and not a disappointment in the slightest. If anything I’m the disappointment because you probably expected me to help me in ADV/GSC prep more; sorry about dropping the ball there. All the way back in RoAPL 3 you told me I’d end up in SPL9 and I thought you were very wrong; thanks for literally believing in me more than I believe in myself. I’ll be very sad the day you quit mons.

Cynde - Most useful 0-4 in SPL history. You were a great presence and a seriously important part of our team environment, even if you didn’t have as much luck on the field. Top quality encouragement and gassing, professional funnyman, and also just a really nice person. Was great to be in a team with you man, hopefully your future endeavors are luckier but you still won an SPL trophy on this one so i mean yea. Also thanks for not calling me Rick Sticky anymore. garden = reached :blobnom:

Earth - You know this already but I was hella nervous and anxious about the team environment coming in but the team environment especially at the start was just you being an icon so I relaxed quickly enough and I’m very grateful for that. Looking back I regret not talking to you too much after that; either way I enjoyed your presence and our interactions a ton and I hope the haters fuck off to the lowest corners of this website… which they already kinda did lol keep doing you n_n

Fear - Absolute war machine. I honestly don’t have too much to say, my GSC knowledge is enough to be in absolute amazement at your games but not enough to give you significant help in prep so we didn’t really get to interact much; all I can say is that it was a pleasure to watch you every week and I really hope you don’t quit too soon. The world needs more quality GSC games.

Mana - Like Cynde, your chat presence was great and it was fun to be around you, it’s a shame that you don’t get a red :x I’m pretty much the polar opposite of a current gen goon so we didn’t work together much but you were a significant part in helping the team get the trophy and I’m grateful for that. Good user hope to see you around more n_n :heatman:

marilli - It’s really funny how I went from “yeah I played a couple of ladder games in DOU i wont mute this chat” to “LMAO manual veil with mew + aboma im a genius” (and then you actually brought it) to actually helping you out every week. Neither of us had a particularly stellar season, which was a shame, but I literally enjoy DOU more than RBY and I had tons of fun learning and helping out at the same time and that’s in good part your merit. I hope you at least had fun with your season because I know for a fact I had SO much fun with Doubles these weeks, pushing all and any results aside. Thanks for letting me leech teams as well, you’re great <3 :3

Nails - I kinda love you but I kinda hate you it’s really hard to write a shoutout for you because one minute you’re being the most helpful helper imaginable and the minute later you’re claiming eggyless jynx teams are good and defending ghosting. idk man. most of your opinions make me angry but we worked together tons and put up good performances and got a red together so I guess you’re great. :shaymin:

PokeTCG gamer1288 - You and I shared the strategy of using really bad nicknames to turn managers off and get picked up for 3k and not any higher :wesmart: You’re one of the more underrated people around and I hope to see you get more recognition man, you were clearly worth more than your pricetag this tournament and this wasn’t a fluke. Plus you’re like ultra mega chill which is great. I feel like we’d get along really well if we played the same tiers tbh you’re nice and a 2-0 playoff ultragoat to make up for my embarassing performances. Thanks for carrying me

Rodriblutar - GODRI!!! I really enjoyed your enthusiasm when we got you and throughout the tournament as well, it was great to see you have so much fun with it (so much fun in fact that you prolonged a stall battle by a gigantic amount of turns because you felt like it, I won’t forget that one easily) and you performed really well too. We didn’t interact too much but you were a positive presence for sure :)

soulgazer - dude you are WILD. you definitely filled the ‘wild’ quota for the entire team by yourself. You literally just got drunk and called out Ojama during our week vs scoots, I still remember that night very well and probably much better than you do considering the morning after you had no memory of what you did lmao… and then at some point weeks after we just start discussing philosophy out of the blue like wtf you’re one really interesting motherfucker to talk to and be around, and I say that in the best possible way. and you’re also incredibly good at pokémon. I’m really happy I landed on a team with you, enjoy the pixels man.

SoulWind - Don’t have too much to say because BW is a tier I straight up don’t understand and you weren’t the most talkative guy; I’ll let the facts talk for themselves. 3-1 in playoffs and got brutally lucked out in the one loss, what more can I even add. You deserved this trophy a ton and you literally just went and grabbed it once we were in playoffs. Hats off.

Trosko - Dude ahhhhhh the last calls commentating the tiebreaker games together were fantastic, everyone was dead silent watching nervously except you, you were commentating turn by turn talking nonstop calling every single play and breaking out into rants in Spanish every now and then LMAO thank god it ended well. Amazing stuff, I loved it. You have a rare amount of passion for this game and I’m glad that it got rewarded with a red. Good job on a season of hard work man n_n

Updated Kanto - You made incredible progress since we teamed in RoAPL lmao, insane to think we both made it in the same team and even more insane is your entire performance throughout this SPL. 10th in PRs btw. I really really hope you keep the insane level of play up, I want to see you crush some more tournaments soon. Was fun to share the whole journey with you man, I’m also glad I got to team with you before your price skyrockets n_n

Void - Once we benched morning Void the beast came out oml. I really like your attitude towards the game, throw out morals and bring the nasty gligarpass :weary: The RP on Tbolt was probably the single most memorable play of the season for me (although there’s a couple others that certainly come close) and you didn’t even mean for that to happen, truly the sign of a next level thinker. Good luck on your VGC endeavors, I’m sure your superior thinking abilities will allow you to shine there as well n_n

Additionally, shoutouts to Paraplegic and sam-testings for being amazing cheerleaders and DOU supporters, also huge huge parts of me enjoying the DOU channel as much as I did, and shoutouts to the whole group who helped in other tiers - MrAldo, col49, lighthouses, Nat, PDC, crayon pop, your help was very appreciated! Don’t really have anything to add because I didn’t interact much with any of you at all but you’re sorta part of the pack and you deserve a shoutout n_n

Bonus personal shoutouts to the finest italian goons I’ve ever interacted with over the years, you guys all made a strong contribution in keeping me glued to this game, dedicated to play well, and you all made me enjoy the game a lot more at some point in my career: Lopunny Kicks, Snou, Fatalitatis, Hachimaki98, LuckOverSkill, XyZero, you’re all amazing. SamuelBestt, I only have one word for you: BEOTA.

And a couple extra words about RBY, since it’s somewhat of a hot topic with debate about whether to keep it in SPL10 or not, etc.

RBY is a very special metagame, for sure. I don’t care to make compassionate arguments for keeping it in tournaments, because at the end of the day the decision is out of my hands, and my arguments are obviously going to be biased as an RBY player; I don’t want to make a ridiculous, terribly biased post climbing on mirrors to defend my tier. But I do want to raise some points that people aren’t realizing about RBY.

RBY in the past couple years has had an objectively weak player pool. But in SPL9, the dominating players from SPL8 are now average/below average, and new players popped up and did well - but even without them, the pool overall had a lot of exactly even or near-even records. As a matter of fact, players who were considered unquestionably unattackable given their history in the tier have been proven very much attackable. The level of RBY play is rising and I guarantee you that soon enough the pool will look nothing like “the same old ten guys playing against each other”, which is an argument I hear against RBY somewhat often. No, it’s not the same ten guys, things are changing, new RBY mains are rising and getting good, and the only team who did terrible in their RBY slot throughout the whole tournament is the one who chose the SPL7/8 approach of ‘taking good players and slotting them there’ instead of picking dedicated mains (I guarantee you Kaz would’ve done better than 1-4 if you picked him up at mids). RBY saw a strong metagame shift and rise in general amount of interest in the last few months of SPL and pre-SPL, its landscape is evolving and its playerbase is proving itself stronger than ever, with “the best RBY pool in SPL history” being dominated by the guy who was power ranked 10th - if that isn’t enough of a tell that RBY is initiating an ‘out with the old, in with the new’ process I don’t know what is.

And I really hope that this process speeds up, because ‘the old’ is a toxic, insufferable group, and they’re probably still salty over a certain week 8 set, because they can’t withstand the idea of new people taking their spot. I’m really sick and tired of the “my opinion counts more than yours and also I deserved to win against you simply because I’ve been here for longer and I'm the better player regardless of the results on the field” kinda attitude some of the old players hold in very passive-aggressive manners - not all of them, thankfully, but enough of them to make me nauseous after dedicating myself to this tier fully for a few months. I kept this dislike silent because I don’t love to cause drama, but it’s become aggravating enough that I’m quitting RBY because of it, and I guess this is a good place to vent it.

But I’m not leaving RBY without shouting out a few of the positives as well. Heroic Troller, thank you for introducing me to this tier and teaching me pretty much everything I know. You not getting a starter spot was a gigantic injustice this SPL, and I hope RBY stays in team tournaments mostly because I’d love to see you prove your worth on the big stage one day. You deserve the spotlight far more than I do. #freetroller
And shoutouts to GGFan for being an hilarious parody of the insufferable group I outlined above. I’m not sure if it’s intentional or not, but the theatrics you put up happen to draw a nice parallel to what a lot of other people do - they claim and act like they’re better than you, but they aren’t as dramatic and public about it, because deep down they know that’s not a great attitude. Whether your eccentric personality is a result of you truly being a special being with no shame whatsoever, or a finely constructed satire of the ridiculousness of people on this website, I don’t really know; and perhaps it’s both at the same time. The one thing I do know is that I enjoyed watching you tread the line between genius and insanity, and meeting you on the battlefield to experience it myself. You are responsible for a lot of very pleasant memories I have with RBY and I am thankful for those experiences.

My hopes for the future of this tier are in the hands of talented, dedicated players like roudolf13, Kaz-Gasai, and the entire group of up-and-comers brewing up this year. To the rest of you: SWIM IN GARBAGE, O YOU GARBAGE. I’m done with RBY. I’ll make a post with a few of the innovative things I brought this season soon and that’ll probably the end of my serious attempts on this tier.

And finally, thank you to everyone who participated in SPL, whatever their role. Hosts, Managers, Players, Subs, Spectators, you all contribute in making SPL the fantastic experience it is and I appreciate all of you. At the end of the day, we’re all here together to enjoy some Pokémon, and moments like these are great to remind ourselves of how much we love this hobby. It’s been an honor to play with the best; hopefully I’ll repeat the experience in SPL10. <3

Last edited:
Congrats Wolfpack. Glad the Greek titans and Trosko got trophies.

I won't do indepth shoutouts but I poured my blood sweat and tears into these last 4+ months so I'll say something, or maybe a lot of somethings. A nice big salt bath for people to point and laugh at since getting mad is real funny. Anyway I hate cliches so I'll try to avoid delving too much into the ones that get used in situations like these. That said, losing, especially like this, really, really sucks; not just because of the ridiculous workload of trying to squeeze every win possible out of our ludicrously godawful lineup with weekly autolosses galore but also the exhausting endeavor of putting up with the widespread community behavior I abhor including but most definitely not limited to fucking retarded, embarassingly shameless goat spam, stupid zen bullshit, "prep" being more emphasized than actually playing, people I've never spoken to demanding I pass them teams in ways that suggest their mother never taught them manners, mindblowing levels of self-fellating egotism getting praised, acting like the most degenerate moron on purpose, having an infestation of goddamn wiggers who confuse the Smogtours server with the streets of Harlem and Christ knows what else drives me up the fucking wall. God team tours are the worst. Yes I realize this is an escape for people but that doesn't mean the lowest common denominator has to be so appallingly awful. Geez, BKC, if you hate it so much here why don't you leave? Good question, because as is obvious I really don't enjoy myself these days except for when I'm actually playing the game... but that's what I'm here for, playing the game, which I love, so it sucks when all this other garbage gets in the way.

This isn't some self-pitying attention-seeking rant about how everything sucks or some stupid attempt at a humblebrag where I imply that I'm a much better human than everyone, alas it is such a goddamn crying shame everyone can't be more like me. I know I rage like nobody's business, although whether or not this gets ignored or gets you a bad reputation is also pretty jerk-dependent. I just really have to vent some frustration. Anyway there is so much great stuff around here. So many superb players and teams and people and camraderie and all that great shit we seek out when we come here for this game. I try to focus on that stuff as much as I can because people determined to be negative re the worst and there is so much positive stuff to look at but it's a shame that the Cdumases of the world often go unnoticed unless they made a double switch on turn 3 (and that's all they're noticed for). Instead it's in favor of being an imbecile in some puerile attempt to be funny and/or a part of the latest meme going around. When this stuff gets shoved in one's face every which way then it's hard not to get annoyed (and condescendingly telling people to not complain or be annoyed by stuff like this is just as bad).

I don't want this to be some uptight suit-and-tie stick-up-your-ass zone monitored by the fun police. I know that it's fun to kick back and watch some Pokemon, the excitement of competition that goes back to when sports were first invented and all that shit. It's not a crime to say some mildly misguided stuff like "he choked by letting bliss die" when Zapdos handles Suicune since you're just messing around with your pals. However the level of sheer stupidity that is regular now is just astounding. At one point this season, UD switched to Jirachi as his opponent switched to Tyranitar. "UD GOAT," "how does UD do it oml" and things of that ilk erupted from the chat... when UD switched into a mismatch he had to run the hell away from. You don't need to be a tenured longtime ADV veteran expert to know to not say something so inane. However we're so used to freaking out over every double switch that we've reached this level. God in heaven.

This feels all over the place but I think the points are pretty clear. I can't fault people for having fun. Maybe this is just not my kinda place anymore. I wish there was some sense of making people accountable for their obnoxiousness because calling them a clown doesn't change anything. I know this post won't change shit but it definitely made me feel better and maybe that's all that really matters. I've been infuriated by the non-Pokemon aspects before and calmer/smarter minds than mine told me to forget about the white noise and focus on playing so there might be something in that too. Thank goodness I have all the answers and have figured out the solution.

We didn't have the same army of assistants the Wolfpack did but a few people chose to help us in the playoffs, so: Enormous ups to John for coming onboard and helping out in the zoo, testing a fuckload with me in SM/ORAS and having lots of teams/helpful feedback, and jawing with roscoe when appropriate. Used the backbone of your team for semis and straight up your team minus dumb Skarm for finals, instead opting for dumb Clef. I surely do enjoy Prep that isn't skirting the metagame by analyzing an opponent's usage statistics and instead making the best team possible. You hit your stride making teams in the last 2 gens. Also God bless windsong too for helping out in godforsaken RU. Whenever you come back, you're a beast. Fuck Finch for stealing you (although you can hardly blame him). Lastly I tracked down Mounts and xray to help play and theory with ORAS because they are monsters and superb guys. Thanks a bunch dudes, you went above and beyond.

As for our team, we definitely had a lot of fun times in weeks 3-4 once we came together and after the post-midseason period where we all fell the fuck asleep. I'll remember those as being terrific, for sure, but I'm still real mad at how playing some halfway decent Pokemon seemed to be so much of a fucking chore for so much of our team. To see such tremendously terrible moves being made game after game, week after week is so absurdly deflating. Somehow it all came down to the last tiebreak game (not gonna get into the freeze there, oh frigging well) with this collection of trash so just imagine if we were a little bit more competent. Jesus fucking tapdancing Christ on the cross is it so fucking goddamn hard to think further ahead than what's currently on the field?

I know it's bad sport to publicly berate your team after losing but I'm so massively frustrated to come one game away and lose for the billionth time and our incompetence was so great that I really believe it needs to be admonished. Of course it was a really good time when we were messing around and there's no trophy for that. I'll be looking back at it fondly, but right now there's something on my chest that's just eating at me. roscoe and choolio make a damn good tag team though. chool you're terrific at GSC and we always have fun endlessly geeking out about how perfect it is. I'm always confident you'll win until something fucking dumb happens (what that something is tends to vary). At least we get to laugh at this.

MG you share the initials of Michael Gira which may be why you reached some dizzying artistic heights when you weren't showing up and calling teams/sets bad after being away for the entire week and then losing by objectively bad moves. Soz I had to get that in there. Also the fact that you paid $70 to make sure nothing would happen with some girl. Your playoff stuff was absolutely terrific though. When you're on, you're so damn on. Good work.
Ricardo man you gotta relax with the goddamn gimmicks when we are looking at serious teams. They are not cute, and Colbur Latios/Starmie are not only ineffective ways of handling Keld + Pursuit, they are also bad as a whole. As for the battles, what more can be said. You had some highs (clutch RU despite playing awfully until the very end, ORAS where you got your dick haxed off) and were a great teammate, I tested a lot of BW with you because the European time zone is fucking awful. You took our abuse with aplomb, probably because you were too distracted by buttocks and your horrifically misguided sense of what is acceptable behavior.
Gondra you're either a genius or a moron. If you take it slower, you'll be a genius more often. The finals game was great apart from a few why-god-fucking-why headscratchers. Keep it up. You're also a terrific kid who was a lot of fun in the discord, firing back at roscoe with pure acid.

Gingy idk what the fuck happened but you took our abuse well. Thanks for that and always helping wherever you could. You're a real good dude. Shame you woke up six times thinking it was your day and it didn't quite pan out like that. At least we'll always fucking despise Adam Devine together holy shit he is such a douche. Seeing you worship Alexandra Daddario with Pak was also pretty bromantic. Speaking of, Pak you were terrific. Awesome stuff dude. am, I'm sorry you couldn't play. Weird season. Zuku, you were good to have around, I don't pretend to know why apparently every matchup you had was so awful but you're a damn good player and you were nice when you hung around. Glad you destroyed FLCL and came aboard for the ride. Shake you're a fucking moron. I won't blame you for losing all those games because I saw how much you were putting effort in. At least you understand my pain. Zach, thanks for popping up when you did. Mael, I'd draft you again (and I know the jeers this is going to get in jerks everywhere but I don't give a shit) but seriously man the negativity is so draining. The 1 disaster aside you had some great wins though. I prefer not to think about the fiasco at the end. L51 thanks for helping out dubs, you were great and also had a pretty good sense of humor which I always appreciate. Thicc Glowing Sam, you are a clutchmaster extraordinaire, phenomenal stuff. I still hate Doubles though. Lower tiers in general just really blow ass. TDK... I think you and I feel pretty much the same here. Your awful start was made up for by some of your all-time best Pokemoning ever down the stretch. I'd trust you in that final game again if my life depended on it, it definitely shouldn't have gone the way it did. Pearl and FLCL, you guys were great, thanks a ton. 37 is still a retarded fucking price, no one is worth this much and it crippled our team pretty hard but you thought I was worth it and that says all there needs to be said. Pearl you drove me fucking crazy with your jerk shit at the start but it ended up working pretty well and obviously you were great for UU/BW/RBY.

Thanks to Phil for suggesting the BW/ADV switch for week 4, I don't know what prompted that but it was amazing and you played some of the best Advance I have ever seen, especially when we most needed you. Love ya pal. Finally, thanks to roscoe, my best friend on this shit. Goddamn this fucking hurts bro. Next year it ends.

And thanks once again to the SPL 8 Raiders, the greatest team of all time.

Last edited:

Ricardo

Banned deucer.
Well, the end of another season.

I want to congratulate the wolfpack as they had an amazing run and i'm glad to see old teammates such as soulwind and trosko, two wcop teammates in Tony(You helped me keep my head up more than most people in this tour) and Void getting a trophy and ofc my son rob, proud of you boy and i'm so happy that you stuck around with me even when you were bummed out about that wcop shit, look at you now with the red pixels.

Shoutouts to John, for helping us prep in newer ou's, you're the goat and you know how much i respect you as a player and it was an honor working with you.
I'd also like to thank Windsong for helping our ru, god we sucked at this tier and i'm glad you came in to give us a hand.
And shoutous to Natalie for the teams you gave to me for my ru game, sorry that i missplayed but i didn't even know toxic soak mechanics lmfao.
Shoutouts to 49 and Kushalos for helping me prep in ru, i didn't know anything about this tier and you guys taught me a lot alongside flcl.
Shoutouts to Mana for testing the wildest shit with me in oras, if i choose to play wcop this year me and you have to both exclusively bring fire.
And i'd just like to thank team Europe in general, you guys are amazing and always a blast to chill with and always supported me no matter what tournament or obstacle and i'm really grateful. I still don't know if i'll do wcop this year since i'm pretty burnt out but i'll keep supporting you guys no matter what.

As for the raiders, it was a fucking mindblowing season, it was full of ups and downs.
We either were doing amazing like before midseason or got trashed like week 8 where we all gave up, our chat died quite a bit like after shake's game in semis but thankfully we always had clutch god Sam.
This season didn't go well for me, i thought it would go well since my last tours weren't even that bad, especially snake where i somehow ended positive but i always lose my powers in spl and end up performing like shit which sucks since there's nothing as bad in mons such as letting down your team who chose to trust you over anyone else in a gigantic pool and not being able to carry yourself is the worst and it pained me a lot. I wish i could have done more especially in the first 6 weeks but having a full time job + school really tied my hands and i couldn't do much at all except talk with you guys from time to time.
But i had so many good moments with you guys like discussing music and the best office moments with Kevin, calling Choolio a (BAN ME PLEASE) over and over, getting bullied and bullying with Roscoe, laughing at Gondra's bad english and giving the shittiest ideas to ou like Beedrill, Sub Roost Vikavolt and Alolan Golem just to see you guys rage. Those are moments i'll always cherish, even without a trophy. Obviously it sucks not getting the pixels especially people like Peal, TDK and Kevin who killed themselves for the team and were definitely deserving of the trophy but maybe you guys will have your chance next season.
These 4 months were so fun but also a burn out from this game, i just wanted spl to end by playoffs lmao but i enjoyed it a lot, even if i didn't seem to at times but was due to irl being hard for some months now and you guys helped through that a lot since i enjoyed myself to the point of being able to forget things i wanted to.
Also, i hope you guys don't think i'm too crazy after some things i said LOL, i'm a nice guy, promise.
You guys made me enjoy this tournament more than i could and i'm glad i got to be with you guys, there was no other team i'd rather be in and i love all of you guys. I will treasure our raids.

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Idk about anyone else but I am fkn hyped for the imminent hellpowna post
hey, some1 was looking for me?IM HERE!

let me AWOOOOOOOOOOOOO for you beautiful Wolfs, you got it!!
Now you can tell your parents, your friends, your future sons, to all the world that you finally get it! SPL TROPHY counts a lot, especially if you win UNDER THE WOLFPACK TEAM name. WELL FUCKING DONE!

first, Congrats to the best Manager i've ever seen in the Smogon History..the lovely Tony Flygon.
Few years ago, you were a lil boy..now you are one of the most rilevant person on Smogon; your lovely attitude and fantastic manager skills will carry you so far Tony FLY GO ON!

Happy to see Astagod, the ADV father, with the well deserved TROPHY. Finally the spanish artist, SOULWIND, got the trophy he deserved since a while...happy to see you all, my wolfpack mates, with the HOT N RED trophy..impressive RUN....

ladies and gentlemen......

SPECIAL S/o to the RBY ITALIAN TALENT, the IDIOT NINJA, TIN!
This boy pwner from hell, this guy kicks ass and takes names.
Glad to see you have a trophy. Well done my boy, your future is so shiny, WELL DONE and welcome to the club!!!​

keep calm and AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Last edited:
I get it's a little unconventional for the host to post shoutouts, but a bunch of people helped out and made my life easier throughout the tournament and I just wanted to let em know I appreciate them.
I'll start it off with everybody's favorite TD team. People love to bash on them, but they're a good group of guys and I liked working with them. I really appreciated the help and advice given by all of them. Special shoutout to Luigi for handling a lot of the dc cases and generally stepping up as the uninvolved TD.

Thanks zebraiken Jake. The close to 2k words of wisdom pre-season about everything there is to know was awesome, even if outdated a little at points when it talked about ancient history like oglemi as a TD. It was a great resource and also just made me feel better about committing to host this. I thought the way you'd check in on me throughout the season by asking how it was going was cute too. Love ya buddy

Thank you to teal6, Pearl, tennisace, and in particular ABR for making a lot of edits to the OP of each week to keep it updated. I appreciated doing less work and I'm sure everyone else liked the quicker updates, thanks for doing it without even having to be asked.

Level 51 your spreadsheet is amazing. Really nice job creating and mantaining that! Along the same line, thank you P Squared for running the midseason signups one. When ifm's thing broke with the xenforo 2 update, I was really dreading doing all that manually. You saved me a ton of time and a headache.

Of course an extra large thank you to my wonderful co-host Quite Quiet for doing it all with me!

Lastly, to all the players and managers really. I thought we had a great set of managers who all acted respectful and understanding even when a decision wasn't going their way. This SPL was fairly tame and could've been a lot worse drama-wise for sure, so thank you everybody for being generally good to each other. :toast:

Congrats Wolfpack! Tony was the first or second to submit his lineup pretty much every single week so a little part of me was rooting for yall

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hate writing shoutouts posts but since i've been bullied into it i guess i have to.

starting off by saying that wolfpack this year was a great experience. everyone with few (if any?) temporary exceptions was super positive and focused on pulling in the right direction, which is saying a lot for team tours, and especially one as long and grindy as spl. having seen both ends of the spectrum, team atmosphere can't be undervalued and everyone has to contribute and everyone did.

tony anti

amazing job putting everything together, the team was extremely well structured and showed a great understanding of what was important to win the tournament and where it was correct to splash money. there weren't really any speed bumps to deal with, everything was super clean and that's a testament to how well everybody was assembled. i didn't expect us to have to tiebreak twice but thanks to the foresight you had assembling the team with tiebreakers in mind i wasn't too nervous. you (tony) need to work on that though; chill out, it's good to take this stuff seriously but sometimes you just gotta keep calm let it happen. i hope anti gets his trophy, he was clean for us and certainly deserves it.

abr

having been around some great east teams, i'd still say that this is the most impressive individual performance i've had the pleasure to witness first hand. it's not easy to have your hands on everyone's prep every week, let alone have those contributions be valuable. i genuinely struggle keeping a few different formats straight in my head at any point in time so, i guess i'll just say that i was super impressed. good work dude, and your quote is spot on.

[9:06 AM] ABR: i dont like using girls as avatars cuz i think avatars should represent the user in some way.
[9:06 AM] ABR: im a tournament player
[9:06 AM] ABR: so a tournament arena represents what i do on this site.

fear

masterful season. your prep was on point every week, your play was extremely clean and the big moments were the peaks for me as a spectator for at least this spl. turn 78 and turn 19 are my personal favorites. you were our shining star on a team full of bright spots. i'm happy to consider you a friend.

asta

i suppose you've been demoted to #2 of the greek titans but that's as far as i'm willing to go, and it's not through any fault of your own. you guys compliment each other super well and like i've mentioned to you, sometimes pokemon dosn't go your way and that's ok; you still have the tiebreaker win to hang your hat on anyways. you've mentioned wanting to step away from the game, and that's fine, but don't go too far; you're too good at the game and too much fun to team with to not come back for next spl. so go on, get your head where it needs to be and enjoy living your life, and see you when next spl rolls around. hope we get to team up again.

and no i'm not better than you at adv stop saying it.

borja

didn't talk with you too much, not for any reason just i didn't feel i had too much to contribute to bw and that you didn't need my help. thanks for showing me i was right, our bw was in excellent hands and i considered it something close to a free win slot every week. you're really good at the game, lol. thanks for being really good at the game on my team.

berry man

i didn't know what to expect from a 3k kekker heading into the season but you blew me away. nutty record, and great play to back it up. the top teams generally need people to step up and perform far above projections, good job on that. can't wait to see who drops 20k on you next season if you're not retained.

@whateverrozesisnow

baby finch in all the right ways. it's really hard to quantify exactly how valuable you were to the team but yours is a role that often goes unfilled and is incredibly helpful. the 1A to abr (that might not even be fair, i'm not completely sure about that order) in terms of support, you went far over everything i could hope for from an assman. thanks.

animegazer

your attention to detail is legendary. we had a whole squad working for you and you got so much use out of them. a true vet who has gotten better with time, your consistensy in spl is wild. like i told borja, thanks for being really good at pokemon on my team.

thinkingman

great job running it back after a not even terrible start to finish 5-0 (only 3 awoos went undefeated in playoffs). gligar's up there with fear's moments for my favorite games from the awoos this year. i can't wait to see how well you do at worlds; i predict that you'll do great.

tinman

trolling you all season was a blast. i let my emotions get the best of me near the end but i hope you don't hold it against me too much. your start of the season was excellent and i genuinely enjoyed helping you prep, even if we have some creative differences regarding the most optimal ways to structure rby teams. great rookie campaign overall, and i'm sure you'll continue on to greater heights wherever you move on to now that you've left rby in my capable hands. thanks for being a great teammate and friend.

robman

the last of the awoos to not drop a game in playoffs, and a cool 4-1 record. taking the game off of pak in finals was one of the biggest wins of the season for us. great job coming in clutch off the bench. poketcg gamer1288 is honestly a work of art and a name change is a travesty.

rodri

an awoo in spirit for the first part of the season before officially joining the team, you didn't miss a beat once you got in. as someone who deeply appreciates a good 500 turn stall game, thanks for giving me a solid 2 hours of entertainment on a car ride that friday night. congrats on finding your moon stone.

sk8erman

last but certainly not least of the spanish trio, you managed to achieve the impossible: you kept tony in a state that seemed almost calm during game 3 of tiebreaks. your play was great all season, keep it up through world cup and hit some zen headbutts and spain will have an excellent chance to get second.

marilli

smogdubs in spl is super challenging. everyone else gets support from their team based on years of experience and you're mostly stuck on an island. it was sad watching you beat yourself up when things didn't go your way (it happens to everyone), and i'm glad we could win it for you. keep your head up, you're a great teammate and a great guy and a way better pokemon player than you give yourself credit for.

earthie, cindy

it's easy to get down after a rough start but you guys were excellent partners for keeping the levity in the team atmosphere even after losing your starting slots. a good team must have fun or things go bad quickly in all sorts of ways and both of you never missed a beat on that front. thanks both of you for helping make this the most fun spl i've been a part of, it was a pleasure.

mana

ah fuck i knew i forgot someone and it's 4am and i kinda wanna be done writing shoutouts. i went through the list of players on the roster and then went through the guys who i was sure weren't on the roster and skipped over you because i kinda assumed you were on the team the whole season. kind of a lame shoutout but sort of illustrates what i was going for i guess. you were great for team atmosphere and zu prep or something idk i didn't touch anything you did and i had the ou channels muted but i assume you did stuff. thanks for being a cool guy in the main chat.

choa

thanks for the help in dpp, i try to avoid thinking as much as i can and you were great support this season both for void and my cameo.

stealth pain pimp wrathman

pretty much same as above, i kinda dabbled in ru for a couple weeks at the start before deciding i hated the tier and dipped, and you guys tearing it up gave me the confidence to say that we were safe.

the rest of the ru goons

deathkidman, colman and houseman thanks for coming in clutch at the end.

para, sam

despite being an accomplished vgc player i am actually pretty useless when it comes to building stuff for smogdubs, and the only idea i pitched fell super flat. everyone needs support in this tournament and the team was mostly lacking in smogdubs expertise so thanks for filling in that gap.

scRUb chat

love you guys. you know it, i know you know it, standard shoutout filler. see you next year, i might even play the tier and farm wins with you guys then. and stop dodging me windy jfc

pearl

great season, even if you fell short. i was thrilled when you guys made it through because it meant one of us would be getting the trophy, hopefully you get yours soon. love you man.

kev

super impressive season, no one is worth 37k @managers but from the outside it looked like a historic effort to provide a counterpoint. you'll get the w soon enough, friend. thanks for the help in my dpp week too, even if cursepert 6-0ed (yes your suggestion would've won too).

edu

glad to see you pick up smogdubs so successfully on a big stage. you're a great guy, cya in sp.

dread pirate shayman

well you've done it again. through a combination of trolling tinman, haxing out the greeks in tests far more than was reasonable, picking up neither of the tiers you said you would at the start of the season and incessantly spamming the chat with hedgehogs you've got your 4th trophy. you've pretty much got the title of smogon's greatest benchrider locked up for the forseeable future. congrats nerd, maybe you should do something for #5. i'm glad you've stuck around this long. hot color coordination btw, red looks good on you.

[3:36 AM] Dread Plate Godsplan: how mandatory are tags
[3:36 AM] Dread Plate Godsplan: for shoutout posts
[3:36 AM] shiloh: not needed but nice.
TonyFlygon KratosMana ABR Fear Astamatitos SoulWind Updated Kanto @whateverrozesisnow soulgazer Void The Idiot Ninja PokeTCG gamer1288 Rodriblutar Trosko marilli Earth Cynde Mana crayon pop MrAldo Nat col49 lighthouses Paraplegic sam-testings SilentVerse Windsong Pearl EmbCPT Nails

tl;dr

and here we are with pixels and back to tonyflygon as promised (ty finch)! first of all, ggs to team raiders. this final was too close for comfort and i genuinely thought you guys were destined to win it after the soulwind bkc game. to kev, i hope you're not gonna give up on the spl dream, but like windsong already said you're still the goat no matter what. if being called the goat upsets you rn, don't worry i've got you covered.

KratosMana
my man. we started this journey together over 5 months ago and there's nobody i'd rather have done it with. if when you read this, just know that we couldn't have done this without you and this win is yours as much as it is ours. this was my first time managing in spl and i knew i wanted to do it with someone experienced and man did it show. your pushing for a mids budget, drilling the rby prospects (this screenshot still cracks me up btw) and insane analysis of the dou prices (this was genuinely ridiculous) all came in big time when looking at the end result. i'm always around if you wanna talk! <3

ABR
adam.. you can call me trosko's hoopa, because if there's one thing i'm gonna miss the most it's your zen. it's something i first learned during our time together on the ABRs bushmasters, but you took it to a whole new level when you were the least nervous person on the team leading up to and even during that g3 vs tdk. to be honest, i can't even remotely imagine a better team mate existing. the absolute first thing i told anti is that i wanted to trade for your retains, which in itself was the first emotional roller coaster we went through this season and probably the one that had you nervous the most out of anything looking back. we learned from the mistakes we (but mostly i) made during ssd and ensured the same thing wouldn't happen again this time around. i think our conversation before you played sums up our understanding perfectly and i'm privileged to have worked with the absolute best two team tours in a row. the way you wrote up your shoutouts is fantastic btw. it could not have been written in a more ABR way lmfao.

Astamatitos
this was our second spl together and it was a delight yet again. as soon as i decided i wanted to manage i knew i wanted to team up with you and fear again, and thankfully that feeling was mutual. so much so that we started discussing how to go about getting it done only a few days after anti and i decided to team up with the creation of our group pm with fear. i wish you weren't as hard on yourself as you are, because you're a dream to work with! luck was rough on you this season, but you came through big time when it mattered the most during the semi finals tiebreaker. you are a fantastic adv player and team builder and your record does NOT reflect the quality of your season. as i've said to you many times, there's no adv player i'd want on my team over you and no spreadsheet will convince me otherwise. i am sorry for asking so much of you to the point that you got into trouble with your wife lmfao. :messi: you can tell her it was my fault and that i'll stop bothering you for at least 6 months. ;)

Cynde
after getting soulgazer in the draft we immediately switched our focus to you as we wanted one "big" lower tiers player for either uu or ru, and you were part of the preferred cheap uu package alongside rob. while results wise it may seem like things didn't work out, i couldn't be happier that we got you for this tour. you're an A+ team team presence and between rob, me and yourself we've pumped out some really cool ideas and teams for uu this season. as i've been preaching throughout the tournament, team atmosphere is my #1 priority in team tournaments, and you were a HUGE part of that for our team. you got along with everyone instantly and not only enjoyed my borderline insufferable puns and wordplay, but joined in when mana and i were (admittedly) spamming them seemingly every day. don't be too down about your record, because this not only was your first ever official team tournament, but you've also shown you have a great and positive attitude towards everyone on our team regardless of your individual success. 10/10 would draft again. :ear_of_rice:

Earth
it's earthie bitch. it took about 4 hours before we had to make a dedicated channel for your "traps" because it just wasn't safe for work to look at the main chat in any public area anymore lmao. we took a chance on you because we had rozes as part of our setup and he wanted you the most out of everyone. the tournament didn't go as you'd have liked it to beforehand, but everyone can see the potential is very much there. reading your shoutouts post put a smile on my face because i was worried you weren't enjoying the second half of the season, so i'm glad you still had a good time on the pack. i hope you don't give up playing tournaments after this either! you're still young and inexperienced and with the first big one out of the way things should go smoother from here on out. finally, i want to personally thank you for giving the social justice warrior in me an outlet to start preaching so often.

Fakes
god i wish you weren't german. i swear it's the language that's causing all these issues, but w/e. when we were discussing getting you for 3k some activity and "wild boar" concerns were raised, but given your quality and experience as a player, asta's ability to tame you over whatsapp and the low price tag we decided to give it a shot despite the fact you're german. looking back it's that last bit that did you in, but i would like it on the record that you were actually fantastic for as long as it lasted. you worked really hard on your preparation, you scheduled properly and supported your team mates, too. all things that go against your (now proven to be incorrect) reputation. i'll probably never draft a german again, but i don't really regret getting you looking back. getting you and rodri with a 5.5k midseason budget is a great return i'd say, if only you weren't german.. :'(

Fear
holy shit. you sir are something else. did you know our retains won a combined 26 games? i think that's a record i can't imagine it not being one. your approach to this tournament is unique and unrivaled. your building and dedication isn't just great, i'd describe it as intense. kanto already mentioned being intimidated by you at first in his post and i can imagine why as well, but i think that aura of intimidation quickly transformed into one that won the whole team's respect and admiration. you played the biggest game of the week most weeks and your game vs tiba was probably the biggest of the season after abr's tiebreaker game vs tdk. you won all of those games btw. most of them were emotional roller coasters, too. momentum shifts into the biggest of big dick plays at the end were not uncommon, and you just kept on delivering. you were very involved since the absolute start of this adventure back in november and my god have you earned this trophy. it was an honor to be your manager.

marilli
thank you for the nice shoutouts post and pm you sent me. c: your record and performance wasn't what you had hoped for this tour, but you still contributed a ton to our team. i'm glad you were still able to enjoy the tour despite your personal struggles and multiple pairs or broken glasses. :x now that you're not scheduling games at ungodly o'clock anymore i can start working on my sleep schedule, too! after the nightmare ending of ssd i'm glad we got to win this one together, because you're a fantastic team mate regardless of what the spreadsheet might indicate. you were very talkative (again) and i'm happy you didn't feel too isolated as the dou player on our team (again). i don't regret getting you once more and i hope you won't beat yourself up too much over your record, because nobody else on the team is either!

Mana
:wesmart: i'm including you here because you were part of the chat from the start and i think everyone considers you as part of our group 100%. it's nice to have someone around that always catches, acknowledges and appreciates my jokes and i think that goes the other way around, too. you should really play the next spl though because you're way too talented to just jerk and suggest (admittedly fire) unsets, as much as i've enjoyed that (and i really have). i know you've already set your sights on wcop so let's make #semisatleast again and i don't doubt that you're winning grand slam either.

Nails
big dangerman nails. the self appointed :goat: :shaymin: of benchriding himself.. i actually really valued having your experience in both tournaments in general and managing spl around. you helped out where you could and in between the "back in my day.." tourbannable statements and shaymin emojis you kept the team grounded and focused. :uds: you actually provided input and test games for multiple tiers as well and don't think i haven't noticed that either. i also appreciate your honesty and concern when something's on your mind and messaging me about it instead of just sitting on it. all in all i'm glad we picked you up and good luck in your upcoming vgc tournament! i also need you to know that this made me laugh out loud.

PokeTCG gamer1288
robjr.. i'm not sure if i actually told you this already, but you were one of the first like 3 players we were set on from the start. you were on literally every single draft plan we made and you IMMEDIATELY proved why that was even before you started playing games for us. your value to our team cannot be overstated. you were such a hard worker, such a nice and friendly presence and then to top it all off started winning us a good amount of games, too! the way you listened to our feedback is something that really impressed me as well. after the loss to sacri you flipped a switch somewhere and it just propelled you to being one of the most successful uu players in the tournament, going 2-0 in playoffs being particularly fantastic! thank you for taking my ideas and teams seriously and working so well with cynde and myself to get the results we wanted and needed. you were a dream team mate and any team would be lucky to have you.

Rodriblutar
goo rodri! us trying to trade for you was an experience almost worthy of it's own low production value reality TV-show. however, it all worked out in the end. we wanted you from the start because our uu and nu slots were the least experienced ones of our line-up going into the season, but unfortunately the trade was overturned originally. :'( having said that, following the mid-season trade our line-up with you in nu and rotating in rob for uu helped us grow to become a complete team without any real holes. rozes being a team building machine and you being surprisingly clear about what you do and don't like despite the slight language barrier ended up being a great tandem for us, and a huge part of the lower tiers sweep we were able to achieve in the final. you're a very good player rodri and i wouldn't be surprised if you made your third grand slam playoffs in a row this year either, since making slam playoffs is literally less of a challenge for you than changing your discord avatar. easiest 2,5k i spent in my life. ^_^

shiloh
getting a name change for a fresh start and to make people forget about your controversial past: genius! your tourbanned ass is getting a shoutout here too because you're truly incredible. i'm not sure what we did to deserve your effort, passion and dedication for free, but holy shit is it appreciated. you did so much it's actually ridiculous. from test games in what actually might have been every single tier, to scouting reports, to the hottest nu teams on the block. wouldn't have won this tour without you, don't think i'm not aware of that. <3

soulgazer
SOULGAZER-SAMA. we shared a couple of chats already before the start of the season but we never really got to know each other too much. things i did know were that you always win 7 games in spl, are a very passionate team mate and that i'd have to "claim" at least three times should i get you for this tournament. when you started attacking mounts for no reason whatsoever early on in the season i was admittedly getting a little nervous, but after that you were mostly ok (i think?). you could also go from linking sharkporn to starting a very serious conversation in a matter of seconds, while calling everyone and everything a pussy in call a few seconds after that. i also had to face the reality i don't have the clout for you to take my team building suggestions seriously, but using abr as a proxy for my ideas ended up working fine anyway. that and the 27 team builders helping you, obviously. all in all i'm very happy we ended up drafting you and as much as you might disagree yourself, i truly don't consider you an overpay. you get who you want in the auction and go from there. we wanted you big man, and i'm very happy that we did.

SoulWind
i was pretty sure teal was going to retain you given the way the bw pool was shaping up this year, but he actually announced his three retains quite early on, and none of them were you. at that point both abr and i were dead set on getting you, just not sure whether going to auction or grabbing you beforehand was the play. we awaited signups a bit and then decided to just trade, because the bw pool started to look like a minefield and we knew we wanted you and only you as soon as roro was retained. i expected you to be very good, but somehow you still shattered my expectations. to me you're the best player of the tournament and somehow you even raised your game during playoffs. having both you and abr for the tiebreakers was such a comforting luxury and looking back i'm so relieved we didn't risk you in the auction. good luck winning ost brother!

The Idiot Ninja
the tinman.. you really were far too kind in your shoutouts post, but we take those! as you touched on yourself already, you were mostly anti's pick but my main reason for backing him wasn't as much the games you two had, but the conversation you had afterwards. you were oozing confidence and motivation and we were willing to take a bit of a risk + grabbing nails in case things didn't work out, but they did. you put up results right away and on top of that supported a handful of other tiers too with tests and feedback, all for a 3k price tag. your confidence and winning streak slowed down a bit towards the end, but you know damn well we loved having you on the team and you contributed to our great spot in the regular season massively, which is pretty essential to even make playoffs! you were great and i want to thank you for that.

Trosko
following bill clinton's "i did not have sexual relations with that woman" i think you might have told the biggest lie of all time. "i'm not nervous at all to be honest." but wait not one minute later: loses mind in spanish! seriously though, you were really great and exactly what abr and i were kind of lacking in ssd. you needed very little support in preparing your teams and some of our best sm teams have been yours (the ash-gren torn team vs obliviate and the kartana bulu vs kory being my favorites). you really upped your playing level too towards the end of the tournament and played two very good games in playoffs. games you can look back on without regrets! you made huge steps throughout the tournament mentality wise and i'd consider you a threat to anyone in sm ou. you very much earned this trophy my man.

Updated Kanto
the steal of the tournament.. after securing trosko in the auction, our next step was to get a cheap sm/oras player that could flourish with abr's and trosko's support. we had you on the top of our list and when we approached you about it you jumped on the opportunity, which sealed the deal for us as well. i don't think anyone ever expected a performance as good as this one, because good lord man you played a stupidly good tournament. your ice beam on the gliscor switch vs tdk and the switch to weavile to trap gliscor vs hiye were two of the hottest plays i've seen in my life, not to even mention the fact you had to endure some extremely tough stuff in your personal life on top of spl. you've impressed me both as a pokemon player and as a human being, and i would love to team up again sometime.

Void
him again. vetoing morning void has to be the single best decision i've made in 2018 so far, because morning void is to be avoided at all costs. you have been LONGING for pixels for quite a while now and i think it's only right we won our first together. you already know you're one of my favorite people on this website and i'm sorry for offending you by not retaining you lmao. it's ok though it all worked out in the end; hawaii 5-0. :obamawhew: to be honest it's a good thing you're retiring from dpp, because now i can finally get steve from blue's clues to start instead; that man has a dedicated thinking chair. :wesmart:

col49
gottem dude. when you told me you weren't gonna sign up for spl i INSTANTLY slid into those dms. we agree on many things including but not limited to music, getting subbed out of unofficial team tournaments, the art of evspreads and kushalos being the woat despite probably being a pretty good chef. thank you for being you and your creative mind. most of your gems were (rightfully) reserved for chillshadow but your input and feedback has been greatly appreciated (again).

lighthouses
sg needed another goon to disagree with so thank you for joining our team chat during the final. sg had mentioned talking to you about the team he was working on in pms and then complained about his process being in different places, so we figured adding you to the chat made a lot of sense. unlike me you have clout with sg too so he actually calms down and listens to your team building feedback which is great. thank you for helping him out so much!

MrAldo
i don't really have much to add to sg's post. you were fantastic and above all so very patient. a nice social addition on top of that, too! not afraid to join call when we were all very anxiously watching our team mates play this last week, which was nice to see/hear. we all owe you a huge thank you, so thank you!

Nat
first of all, congratulations on going 5-0. we both wish things had gone equally well during ssd, but we also both knew the potential was always there so i'm very proud of what you've achieved this season. as soon as your season with the cryos ended you sent me a message offering your support, which was really nice of you and i'm sure sg has enjoyed getting dunked on by the pod as well. ^_^ you're without doubt the hottest ru player of 2018 and i hope you take home the seasonal tour while you're at it as well!

crayon pop
omfg the pop.. out of the top 5 nastiest dpp teams ever built i'm thinking at least 5 of those are yours. thank you for lending out your scorpions only for void to rock polish a second time as tama thunderbolts. i still can't believe that actually happened lmfao. regardless, your team building support is a HUGE reason why our dpp turned around so nicely. i also really felt you made my fantastic dedicated zu channel name worth it with your sizeable contribution to the channel and by extension the tier. i know you're going to attempt to quit again, but i hope you stick around at least a little bit because you're actually a very nice presence. n_n

PDC
i tried watching one of your videos the other day but i had to click the X faster than you do when a lil dicky song comes on as soon as the first "fur-raw-thorn" came out its pokeball. you low-key stalled me into management last spl so i guess i owe this trophy in part to you as well! thank you for offering to join our server during playoffs. other than sg's squadron i didn't intend to add too many people, but your team building and knowledge was something i couldn't pass up on. you proved that too with your contribution to void's semi final team right away, so thank you kindly my friend.

Paraplegic
i'm very used to asking marilli if he needs anything and getting a "i'm good" in return after two team tournaments spent together, but at the start of this one he did have one request. he asked if it was ok if you could be added to his channel, so that he'd have a testing partner and someone to brainstorm with in the server. i approached and you immediately gave off a very friendly and relaxed vibe, which turned out to be exactly how you were throughout the season. i also learned what acid rap mixed with horrorcore sounds like! thank you for the help man!

sam-testings
this is my second year being a wolf whether that's as a player or as a manager and for the second year you've been cheering us on from the start. since you were so nice and supportive we figured why not add you to our team chat to add some positivity, plus i imagine it being a lot of fun for you as well. the fact that you ended up supporting dou was admittedly kind of a bonus, but appreciated nonetheless! you were a really nice addition and i'm glad we decided to shoot you an invite. n_n

i also want to thank qq and op for hosting. it's a big job to take on and all things considered i think you guys did a great job.

Fear

GSC Monarch
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I am not good at getting sentimental nor can I use the english language as masterfully as Tony, but I owe a farewell post to my team which supported, voiced, cheered and put their faith on me the past months. I didn't really make a shout out post before, but ABR almost bullied us doing this calling it mandatory(then procceeded to make the most denied out of emotion shoutouts post ever!)

TonyFlygon Ever since our first talk last SPL, you were giving me a vibe of trust and honesty, never felt I was lied or sweet talked (even when I read rushed of last minute motivational speeches on my discord!), you truly are one of my best friends here. You were always sincere and you meant serious business when you approached me to play under you the past November, a decision I quickly embraced. Calm, serious and very rational despite being driven by a myriad of emotions, you never for once small talked or given up on someone in the team, even on weeks we were down in score. Expert maneuvers and finesse pre auction allowed us to have a very solid array of players motivated to win the tournament, hell you even kept your promise and drafted Asta no matter the cost.
Every problem we met with was dealt with swiftly and without drama, you made sure to somehow always keep everyone satisfied(this is truly a skill that exceeds playing); I can't imagine what kind of complaining you had to stomach or silence for the greater good,I envy your methods and patience. Additionally, you never tried to mess with preparation in tiers you felt you shouldn't nor questioned the players team decisions neither before or after their game, always kept your calm and guided the team with words of wisdom and most importantly, belief. As long as you believed, I believed and it was enough. Tony you hold all the traits that make a good manager for me, I genuinely assume no one has ever been better than you in that role and I respect you a lot for that. A true leader.

KratosMana I was deeply saddened by the news of your ban, so near the SPL end. You helped me a lot both in the GSC prep channel as well as individual support, it felt great knowing I had the absolute trust of the assistant manager. Its unfair that you aren't allowed the trophy but know not only you earned SPL,you also earned my heart. Wish you sticked around after the incident, I'd love if we caught each other again in the future.

shiloh Ever since last year you were my absolute favorite, Rozes. I owe a lot to you, from helping me get my original nickname (otherwise I'd probably still have people whispering me what does Atq mean) to sticking up and believing in me despite my bossy attitude, especially given how GSC wasnt even my prime metagame when I was starting last year. You may not have been allowed the red, but you put effort and time into this without any personal gain or achievement and this means a lot to me about your character, I respect you that much more because of that. Essentially our second assistant manager, you were involved in every prep, including mine.
It was devastating to hear what happened last year and how that resulted in you stepping down and taking a ban, especially after you dissapeared for a long period. I wish you all the best looking forward and hopefully we can continue meeting each other in events like this.

ABR Not much to say, not a real manager. Just kidding you are below :-x

Astamatitos My best friend in this game. When asked about whom I'd like to be in the team with,you are my first answer. Despite the fact that this year especially you were really burdened with IRL(hey, you're a married man now) and caught in the middle of your PhD, god knows how much traveling someone does within the span of just 3 months, the passion, creativity and talent you have goes through the roof.
I've been sleeping well at night knowing that you were our ADV slot. Your plays, intelligent and methodical. Team presence, an inspiration for the rest. You were there to support and test multiple gens, including GSC. An invaluable help for me, essentially learned to GSC in a few weeks time just to help me take decisions. We playtested more than 200 games during SPL ADV and GSC combined; hell you even had me suffer 20 RBY games when you got wrap-loving paranoia!
Top running contender for the title of the best ADV player of the modern era, your tiebreak game with Undisputed was probably the highlight ADV game of this season for me, a testament of how strong you have become ever since I first met you back in 2006. I'm proud to have you as my friend.

ABR Adam without question, you were the most important member of our team. Insane talent, dedication and almost robotic execution, for me you have been nigh the perfect player. The leading figure of the team alongside Tony, you were helping literally everywhere when it came down to preparation, whether that meant useful notes or input or even plain pressure into someone to bring something solid. Definitely the busier person in our discord, at times I was wondering where this power of your character(one could also call it stubborness!) comes from. Additionally, you have been a great friend through this, I enjoyed talking to you post and pre-game, you also are an incredibly trustworthy person. I had a great season preparing with you especially, hopefully we can repeat it and not just strictly GSC speaking, as our duo seemed to have incredible chemistry.

SoulWind Laid back and kept your emotions in check, a calm storm, a sincere and powerful figure. Truly a spectacle to behold when you play, you dominated BW and I never doubted you would deliver results. Even when slotted into DPP,you locked on a team from our combined suggestions, perfected it and most importantly pulled off the right reads in game,all within a span just a few days. You aren't the guy that socialises much but I'm honored to have known you on a personal level and is my wish to play together again in the future.

Updated Kanto An unexpected 3k buy turned out to be perhaps the best ORAS player in the whole tournament, Updated Kanto you definitely were a steal, the most valuable player in credits to results ratio. At first I wasn't expecting much from you because I barely knew you, I am glad I lived through the growth of what later become a major cornerstone of this trophy. Keep it up KANTOAT, you beast.

soulgazer The best low tiers player I was told you to be, and definitely you didn't fail to live up to my expectations. Although sometimes you seemed liked you were getting overwhelmed by pressure you stomached a lot of it and despite not getting to know you better on a personal level I truly do believe you are a smart player that had to put up with a lot of things the past years leading up to this. The tension, the worries, I am glad eventually it all ended well. I enjoyed your presence and eccentric personality, for me you are a fine speciment of team mate.

Trosko You have been invaluable when it came to SM and ORAS prep, gens I do not truly deal or bother with. Not to mention your skills as a player, a perfect match in completing a superb SM core. You sir are very talented. I like you a lot and I wish I could spent more time in your channel because clash of gens never allowed me to get to know you as much as I wanted.

Void You are very talented, and despite usually not building your own teams(usually is the key word)or test a lot, you are an insanely good DPP pilot, you play systematically well and you are very knowledgeable. Coming from a succesful WCOP, I have to admit that I was worried about you very early in SPL and I pressured Tony into talking to you more about preparation and testing because you got it all game-wise but looked a bit lazy to my standards. We got to play a handful of DPP games eventually this season and it always felt to me that you knew what you should do to win, expertly picking up team problems from the get go. Congrats on that final 7-3 score, but between us scores mean nothing and you should stop worrying about them, they are just numbers that dictate results not performance. To me you are champion material.

Nails Nick, I've been talking and been much closer to you this whole season, I enjoyed spending time with you both in game and discord chatting. I probably shouldn't say this, but I was pressing the goons at Nails sub when our options were discussed, watching you play ADV last year at callous cup made me realise you could probably play anything(being a sub might actually been the reason for all of that gassing, food for thought). Between playing games, sharing corncerns with you, watching you win actual cash and tease other players allowed me to realise only parts of your interesting character, I am glad we came along this SPL my friend.

The Idiot Ninja Despite being unknown to me pre SPL, I quickly got impressed by your early victories. I know the end curve didn't come as good as you'd want, but you punished yourself more than what you should especially given the tier you are playing. You are a great player and your preparation is nothing sort of outstanding, you rarely entered a game with a bad match up. I understand how you feel about RBY and how disgusted you may be after SPL but I don't welcome it, I remember your early passion and thirst to prove out and that clashes with the end result. To me, quiting on the tier doesn't help you prove your case. Regardless of what you do from now on, I am definitely keeping an eye on you, friend you definitely pack a lot of talent.

Rodriblutar Despite being on the team for only half of SPL you mixed up nicely with our team and I ended up liking you a lot. I am glad we got to pick you up and started you in what used to be one of our weaker looking slots, your love and talent in this game is exceptional. Good luck in future endeavors, Rodri!

PokeTCG gamer1288 Never before this SPL the low tiers interested me enough to watch them, I had been used in dealing only with things that I liked in this game. Hell, I didnt even play or care about ADV UU back then. You being asked to fill this important gap in our roster felt an impossible burden forced into you initially, but you pushed through successfully if I may add, being our 4k sub. Glad you performed well, as it allowed us a more experienced Void into DPP(sorry Nails) you deserve all the praise in the world for putting up with the whole UU panic situation and becoming a powerful asset of the team especially towards the end of the tournament. Oh and exellent run on that GSC UU tourney!

marilli I didnt get to know you well Marilli, probably because of the fact I kinda hate Doubles. Watching 2 v 2 mons trying to tear each other apart with switches and protects makes me sick, but I stomached a lot of it watching you play every week and rooting for you to win. The early double +6 snorlax was very impressive to me, a mere first time spectator, and you definitely are packing talent between those turns doing incredible decisions I wasn't anticipating. Your final score isn't representative of how good you actually are.

Cynde I did not get to interract a lot with you Cynde, mostly because you played early in the season where I was more reserved into getting to know each and every one of my team mates. Despite the unfortunate early results you never gave up on the team and continued to provide help and input as well as great chat presence, I respect that a lot. I wish you all the best, I had fun talking to you.

Earth Maybe I didnt know or interracted with you as much as other users, but I am apreciating all your work and assistance earth, as well as your presence in the discord chats. Thanks for all the effort you put this SPL.

Mana Incredible chat presence. it was fun to have you around, and despite not getting to see you post much in the older gens where I was more active at(ADV + GSC), I appreciate all the effort you put with us. Effectively a member of our team, an invaluable intelligent presence in discord. Perhaps we can pair together in future tournaments.

crayon pop PDC Paraplegic sam-testings col49 MrAldo Nat lighthouses
I am grateful for assisting our players, I am sorry if I looked distanced in discord and you never got to see the GSC chat, one reason is that I don't socialise easily with people that I dont have to directly interract or cooperate with, and another if I even have to excuse my self is my inability to easily trust people that have nothing to gain by helping. I don't know who's friend with whom these days and I am a bit paranoid about preparation leaks. You guys never ever gave a reason to doubt your allegiance and deserve the greatest applause because you helped us out without any expectation, reward or personal benefit. You voluntarily gave your time and assistance to my team mates and you deserve the red as much as the rest of us. Thanks for your support, I am obliged to you for this dedication.

Mr.378 Special mention to Mr.378, whom was promised a starting slot in a lot of teams but was kept off despite his great SPL8 run. Felt like one of the biggest betrayals, I too was trying to press the wolfpack management for a meager 3k buy as helper/sub, alas we were out of expendable sub credits and had important gaps to fill still. Thanks for expressing your feelings and support towards me during the whole of SPL, we even got to play a few test games before the finals. I am enjoying your friendship a lot.

Abr, Astamatitos, as well as KratosMana, Soulwind and Rozes were major contributors in the discussion going in the channel and leading factors for me to decide each week's team. As we didnt have enough credits to buy a sub this time and it became an additional burden for you guys to spend extra time and check out what I was typing and preparing for my opponents every week, I can't express my appreciation with words. It wasnt a farfetched scenario for me to show 10 team options in paint and getting into great lengths of discussion on what should be ditched and what kept with pictures getting messier with drawn lines and notes.
ABR and Astamatitos were my biggest play testers and trustworthy support, and the best ones someone could ask for really. Usually we did early drafts and inital aproach with Asta and ABR was helping me add or think last minor details. Additionally, Nails and Rozes provided me games to sate my lust of playing when the others were busy or absent with their own commitments. Many memorable moments and ego clashes(in the friendliest way you can imagine) during the prep, for instance 5 minutes before my game with giara I had a 20 minute GSC game still going with ABR trying to justify why i wanted HP Flying Dragonite.
Not all times we came into perfect agreements, but definitely the respect I hold for all of you for all the help, your time commitment and your passion definitely helped having my ego in check and me to double think your every suggestion.
This SPL has been a blast.

Last edited:
Grats wolfpack to an amazing season and well deserved victory. I especially want to congratulate all my past woofers TonyFlygon Nails Astamatitos Fear Void i'm glad the pack came through (even though the new logo SUCKS). Also ABR congrats bro, ur probably the most deserving player of this and i'm glad you got it (although I wanted to see kevin and carson win it too :[). It feels sort of odd going from playing for the pack for 2 years and then leaving (even though I still wanted to play for the pack the most at the time), but I would've done the same thing every time just cuz I enjoyed this season with the scoots (especially the pogo gang) a lot and I couldn't replace obii with anyone else. Grats wolfpack once again. Awoo!
woof.png

SoulWind

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis the 6th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 32 Championwon the 9th Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Since Adam will put a knife in my throat if I don't do this, here is my part. This has been arguably the hardest to win tournament of all I've ever participated in, and we were in the void of losing a lot of times during our run. The Raiders were incredible opponents that forced us to our limits, shoutouts to all my friends on that team (specially the spheal gang) because you worked very hard and deserved it like us.

TonyFlygon: The most amazing manager my eyes have ever seen. 3 straight team tour finals speaks for itself already. Since the start I was kinda curious to see what kind of manager you were because I had only heard good words about you, and sure they were right. Always worried about making every player feel alright and make sure everything is checked, optimized, and calming the crowd when needed. Thanks for trusting me and I hope I lived up to your expectations, coach.

KratosMana: The other part of the gear that completed the manager duo. I now you will read this at some point but you were part of the superb plan we had for the draft and a great helper for literally every tier, always around to give us heat techs when necessary. Hope to see you around soon, my friend.

shiloh: Even if you weren't a theorical part of the team, you worked hard and gave your best so that we could achieve victory. You are a very dedicated man and we owe you a lot for always making sure we had everything we needed for games and made a lot of NU teams for us. Happy to know you and for what you do for this franchise.

ABR: You were the reason this team won the tournament. Always with the will to help everyone prepare and optimize all the possible detals. Everything started when you PM'd me about Wolfpack having interest on me, and since that moment, I got very motivated about the possibility to team with you again. Always the guy I can approach for deciding my teams too. You are the perfect teammate everybody wants to have, and all your dedication led us to the victory. Let's win more of them in the near future.

Fear: The protagonist of the most intense moment in all the tournament. That game vs Tiba meant all or nothing for us, and like everytime you had to play, you pulled the trigger with your plays and mantained us alive. Out of all the members on the team, I think you resemble me the most. Thank you for always staying calm and cold and giving the best of you in every game. Your analysis during preparing really impressed me, and it obviously paid off in the end. Proud to have known you personally and I hope we can team again in the future.

Astamatitos: The second part to the Cypriot (not Greeks lol!) duo. I was really hyped to have you around too since it was revealed you were in the draftplan. Unfortunately the rng gods decided to make a party everytime you played since midseason, averaging a frozen mon per week, and all that. Even after all of this happened, you still had the cold mind to play in the semis tiebreaker and pulled the win out. Hope your record doesn't let you forget the amazing player you are, man. Always on my team.

Updated Kanto: Biggest steal of all time. Words can't express your value. You were the hidden gem of the team and spectating you every week was a real pleasure. You outplayed everyone in front of you and destroyed the ORAS pool. Everytime my mind wanted you going for the agressive play you did it as well. You will keep improving and rocking the tournament scene. Best of luck for your future tournaments.

soulgazer: Low tier team tour player goat. It was really nice to realize how much we have in common. Too bad you had to ruin everyone's experience linking hentai but nobody is perfect. Jokes aside you're a very nice teammate that is always willing to support and help everyone and I thank you for that. You had been chasing this one for a while so I'm glad you could fulfill your dream.

Trosko: Igual no ha sido la mejor temporada para ti por lo que has dicho algunas veces de estar descontento con tu juego, pero combinado con la mala suerte ha sido algo jodido. Aun así terminaste en positivo y has trabajado mucho todas las semanas. Solo piensa que ya tenemos el rojo. Mejor que te prepares porque en unos meses ganamos el azul.

Rodriblutar: Te lo escribo en español que si no te haces un lío. Si tuviera que describirte con una palabra sería locura. Pero bendita locura. Realmente se te veía muy a gusto en el equipo y jugando NU. Has jugado fantástico y conseguido también una win de oro en la final. Gracias también por tus ánimos y espero que tu sueño de conseguir ganar el Slam lo consigas.

Void: What an end of a season man. During all the tournament, it felt like we could slot you in a different tier and you would clutch it no matter what. Despite winning in finals, you also offered me to take the spot to play in tiebreak and I really appreciate it. Congratulations for your season and I hope more success comes to you.

PokeTCG gamer1288: Another of the draft steals too. We didn't talk too much but watching you play when you took the starter UU spot was very heat. Big fan of your plays man. One of the three people that won both playoff games too. Best of luck for the future.

marilli: Probably the toughest spot to play in SPL. When literally nobody knows anything about your tier it can be a pain to prepare games because nobody knows what's going on, but you gave us pretty important wins and your techs were always on point. Thank you for all your work.

The Idiot Ninja: I feel bad for you. Having to play RBY for 11 straight weeks must be a real bad torture. I know you aren't exactly satisfied with your end to the season but you gave a lot of hard work and you are a very chill teammate. Thanks a lot for your support during games, too!

Nails: You didn't end up playing too much but I think we had a very strong second opinion about RBY prep which is crucial in this tournament. I hope you achieve your goals in VGC because you're a very good player of it, so best of luck on that mate.

Cynde and Earth: It was the first time for both of you but I don't want you to look down. First times are always hard. You were incredibly supportive and helped a ton to develop ourselves in the lower tiers, and that payed off. Keep playing and good results will come soon.

Mana: Another very chill guy. I even got to talk with you a little bit and you're a very nice guy. Thank you for all your suggestions and all the time you spent working with us. Best of luck in your Grand Slam dream as well.

crayon pop and PDC: It was really cool to think along both of you. Jokes aside, most of our DPP success was part of you and I'm glad that I could have your help for the tiebreaker game. Hope to see you playing more in the near future, big fan.

col49, MrAldo, lighthouses and Nat: Thank you for being around with us and helping lazy soulgazer with his tier, that man needed too many helpers tho. All of you were really chill and gave a nice chat atmosphere too :)

sam-testings and Paraplegic: same for you guys, Doubles is not a known field for most of us and we owe you a lot as well. Both of you are really good guys btw!!

And last but not least thank you to all those that sent me messages before/during/after my messages and gave me the congrats personally. I love you all.

ggs and see you in the next one

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)