Smogon Rap Battles - New Generation

I meant that if they both record, the person with the better sound quality, BGM, flow, etc. will win regardless of the lyrics. It would make writing barely even important.
This isn't true at all. Your delivery is a huge part of it, but if your lyrics are ass then your rap isn't good. It comes down to whoever has the better rap overall, and lyrics and delivery are both incredibly important. You can't really get by on just one if your opponent is capable of delivering both (which every person should be capable of.)

gotta co-sign with the youngest son the of Ttimaa clansman

this ain't a poetry thread

i'm tryna hear some sick flows like a girl with pneumonia on her period

This isn't true at all. Your delivery is a huge part of it, but if your lyrics are ass then your rap isn't good. It comes down to whoever has the better rap overall, and lyrics and delivery are both incredibly important. You can't really get by on just one if your opponent is capable of delivering both (which every person should be capable of.)
I've read a few in the last thread, too much "yo diggidy dawg I'm the shizzle fo' rizzle" 90's stuff, from what I've seen writing really didn't matter.

Either way, don't make recording optional if you know it's going to win over non-recordings anyway (or at least give some advantage to writing), you're just punishing people for something you allow them to do.

I've read a few in the last thread, too much "yo diggidy dawg I'm the shizzle fo' rizzle" 90's stuff, from what I've seen writing really didn't matter.

Either way, don't make recording optional if you know it's going to win over non-recordings anyway (or at least give some advantage to writing), you're just punishing people for something you allow them to do.
What advantage do you want me to give to people who just submit lyrics? This is a rap battle, not a poetry contest. You're allowed to submit only lyrics in the same way you're allowed to submit 2 pages for your 3-5 page essay. The option is there if people really want to join but have no way to record. I've already stated that recording is highly recommended, and if you've seen any of the previous rap battles you'd see exactly why. People who only submit lyrics don't deserve an advantage just because they decided to only complete half the assignment.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the voting is done entirely by the public. Some people don't vote for those who don't record, and some people do. I'm not punishing anybody by allowing them to submit without a recording because I don't say who moves on and who doesn't.

Nothing you've said refuted anything I've said. The fact still remains, people who don't record are 100% going to lose, so telling people they don't have to record is incredibly misleading even if it's "highly recommended".

And you are punishing them, not directly but you're still telling people "yeah, it's cool to just submit lyrics" and then tell them they deserve to lose because they did something that you said was fine. The solution is simple; if you really think text-only doesn't deserve an advantage and it's definitely not going to win without one, don't let people do it. It's a waste of a slot and there's no point in holding up the next round so people can just vote for the other thing anyway.

Nothing you've said refuted anything I've said. The fact still remains, people who don't record are 100% going to lose, so telling people they don't have to record is incredibly misleading even if it's "highly recommended".

And you are punishing them, not directly but you're still telling people "yeah, it's cool to just submit lyrics" and then tell them they deserve to lose because they did something that you said was fine. The solution is simple; if you really think text-only doesn't deserve an advantage and it's definitely not going to win without one, don't let people do it. It's a waste of a slot and there's no point in holding up the next round so people can just vote for the other thing anyway.
People vote for the better submission. If you choose to not put much effort into it, then you should expect to not do very well. I can't change what people vote for.

There's no reason that text-only should receive an advantage. Why does it make sense that people who submit only half the work should receive special advantages that people who actually try don't? If text-only gets advantages to make it better (because, let's face it, you wouldn't be happy unless text-only is considered better), then nobody would record, which is boring as fuck.

I don't even know what you're talking about when you say "hold the round up." You get one week for entry, one week for submissions. Everybody gets the same amount of time.

The option is there if you want it. Obviously it's not in your best interest to do so (hence the "highly recommended" part of my post.) much like it's not in your best interest to only submit 2 pages on a 3-5 page essay. But you can do it. Just don't expect the same grade as those who actually do the assignment.

I don't even know why you give a fuck about this. Are you upset that you joined with no means of recording, and angry that you'll lose? Then just drop out. You don't have to stick around. Otherwise, shut the fuck up about something that literally does not affect you at all.

Who said anything about me not wanting to do this anymore? I was always going to record, I'm just bringing up something I think an issue. Why do people automatically assume that you're a victim of something if you don't like it?

We're getting to the point where we're just repeating ourselves, so I'll just state my position one more time and be done with it; If something isn't actually okay, you shouldn't tell people that it is. Either that or just flat out tell them "you can do this but you're almost definitely going to lose".

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maybe you should just write your rap then man. You can still enter without recording.

Okay it's close enough to midnight in CST so I'm just gonna go ahead and post the matchups.

Hyperbeem (Squirtle) vs. VarunR (Blastoise)

Aqualouis (Vaporeon) vs. Samosael (Aerodactyl)

BKC (Zapdos) vs. Layell (Dugtrio)

Ojama (Mewtwo) vs. Masterclass (Gengar)

Corkscrew (Tentacruel) vs. Rocket Grunt (Seadra)

Jelandee (Snorlax) vs. Ult (Pinsir)

SalTheThief (Electrode) vs. Feranfell (Tauros)

Get to it. You guys have until Wednesday, May 15th to submit your raps.

Aqualouis

^ Sport de raquette + Service pas rattrapé
is a Contributor Alumnus
Btw quick question, are we supposed to "clash" our opponent, or to write a normal rap about our pokemon ?

Zalman's empty promises have led me to a shameful schooling... (context: I had to drop out because the Zalman microphone I ordered for this was supposed to be extremely sensitive, but has almost no gain)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)