Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - November 2008

People finally realized exactly how good Hitmontop is? I mean im pretty sure most uu players focused on stuff like steelix, swellow, and glaceon for a while and have now finally seen how good hitmontop is.

Stall teams are also extremely common in uu now, I find myself using one which is odd considering I enjoy fast paced offense in uu. Which would also explain clefable.

Thanks for all the work, DJD! Guess my spamming played a small part in Smeargle's jump from 29th to 20th on the OU leads list. <_<

I seem to see Electivire all the time, it's quite annoying with all the Zapdos flying around and generally offensive nature of teams. Granted, it usually sucks, but I still see it.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this tidbit. A good number of lower rated users use the thing (I've seen people as highly rated as mid-1300s CRE use it) and it's a major pain when you're using a more offensive team without a decent mixed wall.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No, I noticed it too =(. Shame, it's a really good pokemon. It surely deserves to be OU over things like Electivire.

It amazes me every time I see the list that Electivire is still OU. Every month I think 'Ok, this is definitely the month. Surely by now people have caught on.'

Way to go people.

Also nice to see Flygon and Rhyperior in OU(and maybe Empoleon). Also, lol Skymin.

If reading stuff like this doesn't make you happy I don't know what does:
Code:
| Sentret    | Usage        | 1                |         |
| Sentret    | Ability      | Run Away         |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Item         | Lustrous Orb     |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Nature       | Brave            |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | HP EV        | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Attack EV    | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Defense EV   | High (150-200)   |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | SpAttack EV  | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | SpDefense EV | Low (50-100)     |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Speed EV     | Very Low (<50)   |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Move         | Protect          |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Move         | Baton Pass       |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Move         | Substitute       |   100.0 |
| Sentret    | Move         | Me First         |   100.0 |

Guys , just a reminder, the tier list isn't being updated till January, so none of these "New OU" pokemon are OU yet. They need to be OU at the end of Decmber as well.

perhaps you guys are just severely underestimating electivire?

on the top 20, vaporeon, starmie, suicune, gengar, zapdos, and blissey usually carry an electric attack. You might see the odd twave celebi or tpunch metagross as well.

This pretty much means electivire has 6-8 pokemon in the top 20 to get a free switch in and boost his speed as well. from the top 20 pokemon, a moveset of tbolt / flamethrower / cross chop or EQ / hp ice or hp grass + that speed boost will:

beat scizor
beat heatran with eq, might win with cross chop depending on item and what heatran does
beat salamence
beat tyranitar with cc (wont do it with eq)
beat zapdos most of the time unless its a very bulky calm zapdos
beat blissey with cc
beat gyarados with tbolt
beat lucario
beat infernape most of the time with eq
beat gengar with thunderbolt and if gengar is scarfed, you get to see a pokemon for free and then attack from there
2hko metagross with flamethrower but he might ohko with eq so try to get him on switch
beat swampert with hp grass
beat bronzong most of the time
usually wont beat azelf because it will probably just explode
might lose to celebi because ft wont 2hko most of the time and gk 2hkos
beat vaporeon
beat shaymin-s
beat starmie
beat skarmory
beat suicune

so i would say that 18/20 pokemon in the top 20 would lose to an electivire like that easily if it got his speed boost

and for items, life orb is pretty good but i personally like shuca berry for weak earthquakes, i also like running expert belt as well.

Tyranitar is slowing moving higher in both usage and leads to take on Zapdos and Heatran. Although Scizor dethroning Heatran will prevent it from getting any further. No longer Heatran's house Stark Mountain, hmm? I'm actually very surprised Scizor was used nearly 3000 times more.

Hippowdon as #5 in leads surprised me a lot too. Perhaps Trick leads are losing their novelty, as people have been learning to deal with the annoyance of Trick Scarf.

Flygon and Rhyperior in OU now!

Shaymin-S keeps declining in usage from these past three months, and yet the Uber vote is winning...

Fuck yeah! 6% of Ludicolo have Focus Punch!

Thanks a lot Doug! Easily one of the most important members of the community

+------------+--------------+------------------+---------+
| Venonat | Usage | 36 | |
| Venonat | Ability | Compoundeyes | 100.0 |
| Venonat | Item | Focus Sash | 97.2 |
| Venonat | Item | No Item | 2.8 |
| Venonat | Nature | Jolly | 94.4 |
| Venonat | Nature | Other (2) | < 2.8 |
| Venonat | HP EV | Max | 83.3 |
| Venonat | HP EV | None | 16.7 |
| Venonat | Attack EV | None | 83.3 |
| Venonat | Attack EV | Max | 16.7 |
| Venonat | Defense EV | None | 100.0 |
| Venonat | SpAttack EV | None | 97.2 |
| Venonat | SpAttack EV | Max | 2.8 |
| Venonat | SpDefense EV | None | 100.0 |
| Venonat | Speed EV | Max | 97.2 |
| Venonat | Speed EV | None | 2.8 |
| Venonat | Move | Sleep Powder | 97.2 |
| Venonat | Move | Swagger | 80.6 |
| Venonat | Move | Screech | 80.6 |
| Venonat | Move | Toxic Spikes | 80.6 |
| Venonat | Move | Bug Bite | 16.7 |
| Venonat | Move | Stun Spore | 13.9 |
| Venonat | Move | Sunny Day | 13.9 |
| Venonat | Move | Other (6) | < 2.8 |
+------------+--------------+------------------+---------+

According to these stats, I used my "Sashnat" 29 times...
The one with Sleep Powder, Toxic Spikes, Swagger, Screech.

I love that you can pull things like that from the stats!

No, Electivire fucking sucks. It's been established. It just isn't threatening enough. Especially since it only gets that moto-drive once a game.

Also, am I the only one using Yanmega and Jolteon? wtf...... Yanmega is still a boss!

Interesting statistics, thx alot Doug. Good job as always.

Anyway, Scizor being the most used pokemon in OU from one side isn't so surprising - I saw it in almost every battle that I played and surprisingly one trend changed about him - in most battle I saw people using CB in place of more popular in the past Swords Dancers. I guess that free turn is more than enough to effectively counter Scizor and destroy it's effectiveness. Maybe I'm mistaken about it, but it's my own experience.

Flygon and Rhyperior - it's cool to see those pokemon in OU. They're interesting to use and I think that they found their niche in OU. It's good to hear. Also Empoleon being quite effective Kingdra check helped him a bit I guess and having resistances to dragon/water combination. One of my favourite pokemon - Porygon2 are so close OU too... But still I'm surprised that it still didn't make it - come on, being a really good check to Salamence, the best one to Gyarados and solid one to Heatran are more then good enough reasons to make it OU in my opinion.

Maybe someone noticed... but Smeargle is really close to being OU. I guess some people discovered that Smeargle is really effective lead and baton passer if used well. I think he'll make OU really soon too. Also Skymin being 17th... in my opinion it's not that threatening and that's the reason and people just vote it ubers because it's... annoying. I don't see any other reason, it's easily countered most of times. Also falling usage in using Heracross is kinda sad... with many stall based team and much lower usage of Gliscor it deserves more love, especially that Choice Bander has enough power to 2OHKO almost anything. But I guess with high popularity of fire attacks that guy has much harder time in switching...

I won't comment UU, because I think it needs to start new tests with BL pokemon. Anyway, someone knows when it'll start ? Cheers.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well Yanmega can outpace Heatran with one Speed Boost, and nearly KO it with Hidden Power Ground. It's not a bad Pokemon at all, but Rotom-A has basically shut a lot of it down. I like Tinted Lens Yanemga personally, but the lack of Speed becomes an issue (or maybe its because Speed Boost is that appealing?).

I can agree that Electivire is threatening. I just rarely see it was all I was stating.

No, Electivire fucking sucks. It's been established. It just isn't threatening enough. Especially since it only gets that moto-drive once a game.
if that is how you are going to argue, then you are lucky that i bothered responding lol. How could it be established that it sucks? Nothing can be established to be suck ass :/ especially with how the metagame always shifts. sometimes things get good and sometimes they get bad (like aerodactyl). It cant be proven that something is just always bad.

if you want to argue with the facts i just showed you that evire could sweep through a team of tar / blissey / zapdos / heatran / scizor / mence which holds at least 2 electric attacks and is the top 6 common pokemon then fine but you better have some damn good evidence than just "it has been established that it sucks"

if you want to argue that i just showed you that it will definitely beat 11/20 top pokemon pretty much 100% of the time and then cant beat 16-18 total depending on hp ice or hp grass and cc pr eq then fine but once again, you better have some of the best arguments here and explain why evire is terrible.

if you initiate this debate that electivire sucks then I really want to see some facts to prove it.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
God damn it, it's going to be harder to win now with everyone using my trump card (flygon). :(

Ah well, glad to see the bugger getting some respect finally, though I'd be sad on missing the chance to use it in UU after (if) we ever follow through with Obi's plan.

Was I the only one who was surprised by Altaria not being top 10 in UU. DD Outrage is even more destructive there.

Well well, what a surprise it is to see Scizor at #1. Is it considered suspect? I hope so.
I see suicide leads are still popular. Fricken' Infernape and Azelf.
It's interesting that Flygon is above Dragonite.
Magnezone is doing loads better than I'd have expected. It's probably because he counters Mr. No. 1 so well.
Empoleon at 50! Nice. I've been using him for a while now. (Somehow, he always seems to force Scizor to switch out, despite all this talk about Superpower.)
Also, could somebody please explain to me what the hell Ninjask is doing at #8 most popular lead?

I'm glad to see Hitmonchan is rising...it experienced only a mere 871 usages in October; now the figure is 1968!

Bulk Up Hitmonchan is gaining (very slightly) in usage...from 14.5% to 16.3%

Well well, what a surprise it is to see Scizor at #1. Is it considered suspect? I hope so.
I see suicide leads are still popular. Fricken' Infernape and Azelf.
It's interesting that Flygon is above Dragonite.
Magnezone is doing loads better than I'd have expected. It's probably because he counters Mr. No. 1 so well.
Empoleon at 50! Nice. I've been using him for a while now. (Somehow, he always seems to force Scizor to switch out, despite all this talk about Superpower.)
Also, could somebody please explain to me what the hell Ninjask is doing at #8 most popular lead?
1) Scizor is not a suspect. There was a thread suggesting it might be. But, as someone already state on this threatd, the difference between #1 and #2 positions are MUCH less significant than when Garchomp was king.
2) Suicide leads are indeed still popular. What did you expect? Platinum is an offensive metagame, and being able to guarantee rocks down and/or prevent your opponent from getting his rocks down is a powerful thing. Especially since taunt prevents Stat-up leads from working properly.
3) Dragonite is basically entirely outclassed by Salamence now that 'Mence got Outrage. Flygon, on the other hand, has a unique typing, a good ability, AND access to Outrage.
4) Magnezone is one of these things that will probably always be OU, just on virtue of the fact that it does something nothing else can. Ditto for Dugtrio. Yes, Trapinch and Probopass can do the same things, but crappily.
5) Empoleon has a unique and useful typing. These kind of things get Pokemon noticed.
6) Ninjask is still the best possible choice for a Baton Pass team lead. Baton Pass is still probably the number 1 noobie strategy. There are a lot of noobies on Shoddybattle. Do the math.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn =( Well, that's all Heatran's fault. And Zapdos. And Skymin. And Scizor.

God, everybody hates poor Yanmega =(
What does Skymin do to Yanmega O.o

Moreover I'd be glad to see that thing drop even more. It's so damn annoying. More annoying than skymin, who is "uber"-annoying (lol).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)