Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
No, thankfully. Simply having it in a poke ball it isn't supposed to be in does NOT crash your game, corrupt save data, ect if it was given to you. Now there are some other stuff that will, but this isn't one of them. Now, from what I know about people hacking their game, it can cause problems if you yourself hack it in.

No, thankfully. Simply having it in a poke ball it isn't supposed to be in does NOT crash your game, corrupt save data, ect if it was given to you. Now there are some other stuff that will, but this isn't one of them. Now, from what I know about people hacking their game, it can cause problems if you yourself hack it in.
Will it be ok to use in a casual battle with my friend?

I've held back from asking for so long, but I can't keep it inside any longer. >.<

When looking at Gmax Meowth, I noticed that they only have four available Moves. As far as I know, Gmax Meowth can learn all the same moves that regular Meowth can. How much effort would it be to enable Gmax Meowth to use all the moves that regular Meowth can? If the answer is none/almost none, would it be possible to make that update? (If it takes even a middling amount of effort, almost certainly not worth it...hence only having only 4 available moves, I'm sure!)

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
I've held back from asking for so long, but I can't keep it inside any longer. >.<

When looking at Gmax Meowth, I noticed that they only have four available Moves. As far as I know, Gmax Meowth can learn all the same moves that regular Meowth can. How much effort would it be to enable Gmax Meowth to use all the moves that regular Meowth can? If the answer is none/almost none, would it be possible to make that update? (If it takes even a middling amount of effort, almost certainly not worth it...hence only having only 4 available moves, I'm sure!)
If it can only have 4 moves to learn from, it must be a bug, as I'm more than certain Gigantamax pokemon can learn all the moves they can in their base forms.

If it can only have 4 moves to learn from, it must be a bug, as I'm more than certain Gigantamax pokemon can learn all the moves they can in their base forms.
This isn't necessarily true - a move like Toxic is only legal on Meowth because it can be transferred from Generation VII, while G-Max Meowth have to be born in Generation VIII, so there's no way to have one with a transfer-only move.
... That said, I think Showdown already keeps track of which games allow a Pokémon to learn a given move for the purposes of VGC, so your point still stands - the moveset would be mostly the same, but filtering out moves it can't learn in Generation VIII, which definitely gives it more than its four event moves!

HottieLamatie, have you tried entering moves manually and validating it? It looks like, while the teambuilder rejects moves other than the four on the event Meowth, the validator does seem to let it through with a move like Scratch (which Meowth can learn but which the teambuilder lists as illegal), so you might be able to work around that! Unless you weren't planning on using it anyway - it sounds like you just stumbled into it by happenstance and weren't necessarily trying to add one to your team - but just in case you did want to use it, this might help for now until it's fixed, haha.

have you tried entering moves manually and validating it? It looks like, while the teambuilder rejects moves other than the four on the event Meowth, the validator does seem to let it through with a move like Scratch (which Meowth can learn but which the teambuilder lists as illegal), so you might be able to work around that!
Yes, Gmax Meowth is valid for DUU and VGC 2020! I wasn't especially keen on adding one to a team of mine, but seeing how they're legal for DUU play...might as well give it a shot. :P A shame the Gmax move's unique added effect has no benefit to competitive play, but if we're going to start talking about the shortcomings of a Meowth in anything (even NFE), I think we're going to be here for a long time. XD

Thank you so much for looking into this! Was really smart to try the validator. That methodology can potentially come in handy for a variety of other potential issues, as well! (That said, I haven't seen any!)

Hey i am not sure if I am in the right thread.
i am searching for a list or something for the possible attacks/Pokémon which Learned attacks in older gens and can’t learn in sword shield. But are able to transfer from older gens to sword and shield.
like á conkeldurr which once learned knock off or a togekiss with roost and can transfer it to sword shield now. Something like this.
pls help me out

When does the next season of SPL start? Also how good do you have to be to get in? Not sure how it works but I'm trying to join a lot of tournaments rn

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
When does the next season of SPL start? Also how good do you have to be to get in? Not sure how it works but I'm trying to join a lot of tournaments rn
Next season of SPL starts January 18, 2021. Generally, to be considered in the draft you need to have had some good results in other tournaments, be it individual or other team tournaments, to show that you have got what it takes to perform well. It's definitely not an easy task.

Next season of SPL starts January 18, 2021. Generally, to be considered in the draft you need to have had some good results in other tournaments, be it individual or other team tournaments, to show that you have got what it takes to perform well. It's definitely not an easy task.
What are other team tournaments to join? Do any of those start soon?

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
What are other team tournaments to join? Do any of those start soon?
The official team tournaments are the Smogon Premier League, World Cup of Pokemon, and Smogon Snake Draft; all of their start dates are listed if you follow the link in my previous comment. Smogon Snake Draft also has a draft, but in the World Cup of Pokemon managers can only recruit players from their specific region. There are also unofficial team tournaments, like the Coronavirus Premier League that's currently happening.

Hi Smogon! I’ve got a (probably) stupid question. I was checking Dhelmise and I noticed the move Synthesis is in of its slots. I then checked Serebii and saw that Synthesis is not a move it can learn by leveling nor by breeding. Move tutors are not offering this move. So what’s the deal? :)

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hi Smogon! I’ve got a (probably) stupid question. I was checking Dhelmise and I noticed the move Synthesis is in of its slots. I then checked Serebii and saw that Synthesis is not a move it can learn by leveling nor by breeding. Move tutors are not offering this move. So what’s the deal? :)
Tutor in USM. With the release of Home, a Dhelmise with Synthesis can be transferred up to SwSh.

It learns it through gen 7 transfer. The weird thing is how the dex doesn't list it as having the move.

E4 Raptor

Banned deucer.
Good battling tips? Sometimes I have felt like I really suck at predictions or reads.
Well, as they say:
"Practice makes you perfect."
You can read it all well once you realize a certain metagame you're trying to master/mastering. You will find that specific mons weaknesses and maybe if you read well enough, you can even get it trapped or make it fall in some tough situation.

Once this pandemic ends, I'd like to start organizing local tournaments using Smogon rules.

How would I go about this? I'm aware that I can't do anything now given the current situation of the world, but I'd like to know for the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 12)