Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've got a good amount of XY OU experience, and have a smogon account. Now what?
I'm just wondering is it a good idea for people new to the site to just jump straight to posting in threads. I would love to get in the OU contributions and corrections thread, but since this will have been literally been my third post, I wonder if I should just start smaller.
If you feel that you have good knowledge and experience, there is no reason why you cant start posting in the competitive discussion forums or the C&C forums. Just make sure you follow all the rules, etc :]
The only thing to start small with it just lurking the forums, which seems as if you've done already.

Hello. I just joined smogon and I want to get into competitive battling but there's one issue.

1. I can only choose X/Y or OR/AS to buy. I can't buy both.

When I watch youtube videos of wifi battles every single person I've watched uses pokemon not obtainable from their game (ie getting a keldeo in x/y) which leads to a conclusion: they must have gen5 games too. I dont have any gen5 games and I don't have access to the pokemon bank (unless its free). So my question is is it still possible to build a good OU team with just a copy of X/Y or OR/AS? And if it is, which copy is better for that?

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello. I just joined smogon and I want to get into competitive battling but there's one issue.

1. I can only choose X/Y or OR/AS to buy. I can't buy both.

When I watch youtube videos of wifi battles every single person I've watched uses pokemon not obtainable from their game (ie getting a keldeo in x/y) which leads to a conclusion: they must have gen5 games too. I dont have any gen5 games and I don't have access to the pokemon bank (unless its free). So my question is is it still possible to build a good OU team with just a copy of X/Y or OR/AS? And if it is, which copy is better for that?
ORAS has more Pokemon, so that. YOu can also play on Pokemon Showdown, an online simulator, so you don't need to have the games haha.

Hi there folks, old man Gorchnik here. I am a little confused about where one should go to discuss certain types of pokemon/teams. I see in the first post that there is a link to all the specific tiers of pokemon such as OU, UU, NU, etc. However, as an example I am looking to discuss the viability of a mono-ice team which currently uses pokemon from the OU, BL, and UU tiers. At the same time I also want to discuss the new mega version of Glailie. Where would you recommend I go to engage in said activities?

Thanks for helping an old man out.

Xylen

Perfect Harmony.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi there folks, old man Gorchnik here. I am a little confused about where one should go to discuss certain types of pokemon/teams. I see in the first post that there is a link to all the specific tiers of pokemon such as OU, UU, NU, etc. However, as an example I am looking to discuss the viability of a mono-ice team which currently uses pokemon from the OU, BL, and UU tiers. At the same time I also want to discuss the new mega version of Glailie. Where would you recommend I go to engage in said activities?

Thanks for helping an old man out.
You can discuss Monotype in the Monotype Thead (found here). As for mega Glalie, there's np threads for each tier in their respective forums. Its worth checking out!

Hey I used to be heavely involved with smogon a couple years ago and stopped playing Pokemon. Now I wants I get back into it and I have one question. Wasn't there like clubs or communities or clans within smogon? Because I remember I was in one I really liked but I forgot the name of it...

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Because we're all too anti social for them to work

Because they aren't supported on XenForo

Minus

I now hate xenforo, we need a petition to get them back and go back to the old software lol
Well, Xenforo is much more advanced than vBulletin, so I wouldn't say that. Besides, you can still make friends either way n_n

Well, Xenforo is much more advanced than vBulletin, so I wouldn't say that. Besides, you can still make friends either way n_n
Well true but still -__- oh well. And on a side note like I said I haven't played pokemon or been on smogon since 2012 and I might buy a 2ds and a game. Any suggestions? I didn't like Black or White. I think that's why I stopped playing. Too many random new Pokemon and I feel like they didn't take their time at all. Was x/y any good? Or should I get omega ruby/alpha Saphire? Any suggestions

When folks post trade/RMT threads where do they source their pictures from? Is there some sort of image repository somewhere?

I had a question about the "anything goes" mode in showdown. Is it an official tier like OU and UU or is it just sort of a non competitive "pseudotier"? I was wondering if there would be actual tournaments for it as well.

I had a question about the "anything goes" mode in showdown. Is it an official tier like OU and UU or is it just sort of a non competitive "pseudotier"? I was wondering if there would be actual tournaments for it as well.
It's, as you said, a "non-competitive 'pseudotier.'" The owner of Smogon, chaos, said in his original announcements that it wouldn't be a metagame featured in official tournaments. However, I'm sure unofficial ones could exist.

Minus

Well true but still -__- oh well. And on a side note like I said I haven't played pokemon or been on smogon since 2012 and I might buy a 2ds and a game. Any suggestions? I didn't like Black or White. I think that's why I stopped playing. Too many random new Pokemon and I feel like they didn't take their time at all. Was x/y any good? Or should I get omega ruby/alpha Saphire? Any suggestions
I'd go for ORAS because there are many more Pokemon available and it has more of a post game, but XY are decent too. You're call, but ORAS has new megas and is the most recent so I'd lean towards that more.
When folks post trade/RMT threads where do they source their pictures from? Is there some sort of image repository somewhere?
Yep, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72762463/spritegenerator2.html
Basically what Uselesscrab said; there won't be any official tournaments for it, just for people that want to mess around with powerful Pokemon.

Hi I'm trying to ev training my gallades hp and Atk and I'm using the horde battle item method. But he also gets stats raised in his special attack evs which I don't understand why because I'm not training that at all and the power item is either for atk or hp. I'm using boom burst to knock out all hordes could that be why?

Minus

Hi I'm trying to ev training my gallades hp and Atk and I'm using the horde battle item method. But he also gets stats raised in his special attack evs which I don't understand why because I'm not training that at all and the power item is either for atk or hp. I'm using boom burst to knock out all hordes could that be why?
Certain Pokemon can give two kinds of EVs to your Pokemon (like +1 HP EV, +1 SpA EV). Which horde are you using?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)