Smogon Simple Questions/Suggestions

Welcome to Smogon Simple Questions!

There are a few guidelines for posting in this thread:
  1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple Google search before asking the question here.
  4. This is already in the Smogon rules, but I will reiterate again: do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.
  5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
If you have any general Smogon or competitive Pokemon related questions, feel free to ask them here. If your question relates to base stats, moves, egg moves, or abilities, it's a good idea to check out this, as well as the check out the closed research forum (and a past gens research thread).

We'll do our best to answer any and every question in this thread, but if your question relates to a more specific part of the forums, you'll likely get a much quicker answer there. For your convenience, here's a link to the many other SQSAs for different forums:

If your question pertains to any of those specific areas, please use those SQSAs. If not, then feel free to use this one ^.^

Check the FAQ of Smogon, and see if you can find your answers there!

If you have any suggestions for Smogon here's some of the stuff that's been suggested already:
Can we delete inactive accounts with 0 posts?

We're not deleting inactive accounts because chances are an older user could return and want their account back. The most that'll probably be done is name changes if a user is desperate for the name. But in general a purge is very unlikely in the near future.

Can we enable likes in Smogon conversations?

This feature costs money that we don't have unfortunately. Plus, the admins are programming more important things for the site, too.

Can we have a dropbox to export older teams into?

It's currently not possible for XenForo. You can upload teams to files and then upload them to Dropbox to share with friends, but XenForo does not support this.

Can we add Tapatalk, or some other way to view Smogon better on the mobile?

chaos is currently too busy to be able to have the time to implement something like that. You can try to make something for us though!

Can we have a darker Smogon theme?

NMx13 designed one. This thread has instructions (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/smogon-dark-skin.3502839/) to add it in.

Can the search function look for three letter words?

Unfortunately not, but you can try to search on Google.

Can we have clans?

It's generally accepted that we won't have clans anytime in the future.

Can we have a ROM hacking forum?

Can we edit options in a poll?

We wouldn't get enough activity to really need a forum, as everyone goes to the other ROM hacking forums already and we'd have nothing new to offer.
Nope, Xenforo doesn't support that unfortunately!

Will we ever change the logo?

Nope, Smogon means Koffing in German, so unless we change the name there's... not really a point.

If you have a different suggestion, PM one of the admins your suggestion and don't post it here, thanks!

Have you been using different computers when logging in

The avatar and teams are only per computer, and I am fairly sure for each log in n a computer e.g. on a chromebook if there is multiple accounts, each account on the computer will have separately saved team builders. So essentially, your account name where you sign in is to keep ladder progress, have a reserved mane, and participate in chatrooms on Pokemon showdown, but does not save teams and avatar. Those are on your computer.

Ok, it's probably because I play it in incognito mode, so that's probably it. Should I try not playing it in-browser?
You'd be better of just playing it on a regular browser, the client has quite a few issues regarding storage of teams as well I think, as well as a few more problems.

Can someone help me? I'm building a UU team, and it's centered around SubRoost Kyurem. What Pokémon synergize well with it? Who should his teammates be? What Pokémon effectively check/remove his counters? I need advice.
Well, this isn't exactly the best place to ask this, but I personally would ask the Competitive Tutoring Room or the UU Room on Pokemon Showdown for the best answers.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I've seen some users in the Name Change Request under the log of all the name changes have their name changed twice to a different name than their original. Was this because they simply asked for it or was their a special reason? Asking this because I really want my name to be changed but I asked to change it to this in the thread but now I regret it. :P

trace

tell me
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Please help me! Omg I was trying to post a new thread, a RMT to be specific. For my teambuilding process, I want to do the show hide/hide hide thing. How do I do it? Idk how to use/format it. help. idk how to do the hide shenanigans.
Use [ Hide] [h/ide] to hide your post
Except /hide > h/ide[/Hide]

Springtrap it's probably worth a try since other people have been granted a second name change. Not sure why the OP says only one is allowed. Do know that if your request is granted, you absolutely won't get to change your name again.

Hey, various links from google searching have led me to believe that 30/31 iv doesnt matter at lvl 50 for stats (as in it will be the same), I was just wondering if someone could explain the math to this for me. Just how the stats come out at lvl 50 for this to be true

Hey, various links from google searching have led me to believe that 30/31 iv doesnt matter at lvl 50 for stats (as in it will be the same), I was just wondering if someone could explain the math to this for me. Just how the stats come out at lvl 50 for this to be true
Yeah 30 and 31 IVs at Level 50 are the same and I'm not exactly an expert at it but I understand that 8 EVs are needed after an initial 4 EVs in a stat to increase it by 1 point. For example, a Kangaskhan's HP stat with 31/30 IVs in HP with no EV investment will be at 180, but with 4 EVs in HP it will go to 181. Then after that you will need to add 8 EVs to that specific stat to increase it by one. As an example, we'll use Kangashkan again. With 30/31 IVs in HP and 4 EVs in HP its HP stat will be at 181 and it will also be at 181 with 8 EVs in that same stat, but if you have 12 EVs in HP, then Kangaskhan will have 182 HP.

Yeah 30 and 31 IVs at Level 50 are the same and I'm not exactly an expert at it but I understand that 8 EVs are needed after an initial 4 EVs in a stat to increase it by 1 point. For example, a Kangaskhan's HP stat with 31/30 IVs in HP with no EV investment will be at 180, but with 4 EVs in HP it will go to 181. Then after that you will need to add 8 EVs to that specific stat to increase it by one. As an example, we'll use Kangashkan again. With 30/31 IVs in HP and 4 EVs in HP its HP stat will be at 181 and it will also be at 181 with 8 EVs in that same stat, but if you have 12 EVs in HP, then Kangaskhan will have 182 HP.

Thanks!

So I'm new to Smogon's forums and I've found a minor mistake in the registration form!

Verification: What does Pokemon evolves from Vullaby?

The word 'does' should not be in that question! I was looking through the subforums, and maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't see a subforum for forum issues. Is there one that I've missed? I would like to post in the appropriate place.

Hi I have a question; does After You affect negative priority moves? Like does After You make something like Whirlwind moves right after the user of After You? Also, are Whirlwind/Roar Spread moves?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I'm trying to use this picture as my avatar, but no matter how I edit it to fix the dimensions it seems most of it gets cut off when I upload it. Does anybody know how our avatar system determines what to focus on so I can at least have the top part visible (or the entire thing, I'm not picky)?

So I'm trying to use this picture as my avatar, but no matter how I edit it to fix the dimensions it seems most of it gets cut off when I upload it. Does anybody know how our avatar system determines what to focus on so I can at least have the top part visible (or the entire thing, I'm not picky)?
Just use Photoshop so that the image is a square lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)