Smogon: Why you came here and why you stayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon is the best place for battling hands down. Every community knows about it, and will always use the tiers here. As for myself I enjoy laddering on the server, and I will always get intelligent rates when I post RMTs here.

I found Smogon through the links to the Strategy Pokédex entries on Bulbapedia. I've been lurking here since March, but I finally decided to join tonight (apparently I also decided to join in August, and I only realized it when it said my email was already taken; my best guess is I was hammered). I've lurked for nine months because I like Pokémon, and I'll stick around here for a while.

I came for pokemon battles. Left Because of a bad wi-fi conection.
Came back cause pokemon is addictive and constantly changing metagame is fun at times mostly came back because of shoddy.

How I got into Pokemon:

Believe it or not, the anime is what got me into Pokemon, soon after the anime started, my brother and I got into the Red and Blue versions (Which he had a Mew on it, traded for an Electabuzz...we were kids, what do you expect?) I have since been watching the dub as closely as possible and have tried to pick up the games...which my house has a nasty habit of eventually swallowing up, along with other games I have lost in this house.

My most recent involvement in Pokemon has been PBR and Platinum, when it comes to In-Game, I am a veteran in terms of playing the Story Line and doing some of the extras, but I am still new to EV-Training and Competitive Battles.

I kindly ask that you be careful with how you tread with me, I think very differently from Smogons system, and I dislike being put down for my ideas.

When and How I found Smogon:

I joined Serebii.net first, then heard about Smogon, mainly through the fact that it has created tiers for the Metagame based on usage (I don't hate them with a passion, but I ignore them in general). After finding a link given by Hydrohs on Serebii about finding your SID through Shiny Pokemon, and found I had to join to reach it...I finally joined on.

Thats how it was with me. Please be civil.

Is this the new "intro" thread for newcomers, since I couldn't find a proper one for that... anyway, yeah, newbie alert.

I came to Smogon a paltry half-year ago as a lurker (you really don't want the likes of me blasting a forum unless it really needs blasting from a newb ranter. ^^). My pokemon career was pretty late in comparison with the veteran community, probably having g/s/c as my starting point. But before that, I've always been a highly-competitive metagamer, be it chess, bridge, pkmn, YGO (yeah, prolly the only trainer who's also a duelist, shoot me), Fire Emblem Linker (and online cynic-only for those who needed it).

The community here seems informed, is hopefully more mature than others that I've seen, and God-willing, those are the reasons why I'll stay.

I first found smogon when I was trying to find out what EV and IV meant. I googled it and found some link to smogon. That was 2 years ago. Anyways, I made an account 2 months ago to get a better feel for the competitiveness of pokemon. Been lurking, but trying to get active, so yeah. Smogon does seem to be the site for pokemon strategy.

I first started pokemon when I got the gameboy color in 2000. I never had videogames, but people in school talked good about it, so I got pokemon blue. I played and got instantly hooked. I played with the other generations afterwards too.

I believe I found it when I first heard about Netbattle (or perhaps the other way around). I was a mere lurker on the forums for a few years, though. I was too immature to be a contributing member at that point, anyway.

I stayed because I like the strategy the game has to offer even if I'm bad at it. I joined mainly so that I could finally be taught how to get better at this game so that I could enjoy it.

I came here so I can eventually improve my battling skills, smogon is in my opinion one of the better known competitive sites so, I figured it'd be the best option, I originally got an account on Serebii.net, but... they're kinda not really that great. They should focus on what they're good at, news.

andrea

/me cresselias
Hmm... I can't remember why I signed up in the first place, but I started becoming active when I learned to RNG abuse. I had done a whole lot of lurking beforehand, then finally decided to create an account. Ya'll were intimidating at first, but now I'm more comfortable with the atmosphere. I like the people here =)

Erm, I used to just be on Pokecommunity (barely on it now) but then Wichu told me about RNG abuse.

I learned RNG abuse here and decided to set up a trade thread. Been here ever since =D
Well I registered because I got stuck with RNG abuse and asked for help ^^

Recently became a member of Smogon, after 3 or 4 years of lurking.
Smogon (and Shoddy) made me a decent competitive battler.

Also, the RMT forums has learned me to make better teams.

Well...I was browzing through the Peral Guides at GameFAQs, and this female member creditted Smogon as the main contributor. As I got more curious, I eventually decided to check it out. As for my time in Smogon...errr.....well....>_<. It's not exactly the best. I made a few teams, and my hail team was the dominant one for a while (not the best, however), and then I started playing around with blizzare themes.

The first notable one is what would you call a "gimmick". Basically, this team was focused on getting as much Super-Effective hits as possible, and to do that, use members that can have a wide array of moves are added in. Examples like Starmie were obvious, but I also added in some more...novelty ones, like Jolteon. For some reason I can't remember, I initially placed him as the lead. Then I realized that since ground can only do SE damage on him, I decided to keep him there, and when I know the opponent is gonna use a ground move, I'd switch to Azelf or something.

I got the idea after seeing Bogole's team. Except my team was more offense-orianted, while his was more defense-synergetic in terms of synergy. However, even in an environment where it's offense-geared, my team wasn't received very well. Dismissing it as a gimmick, I can understand, but someone thought I just made it up the day prior! What on earth...! I felt like I was gonna kill myself (not saying I can't take it, just that I can't in one piece), and he discouraged me from ever posting an RMT again, even when I direly need to do so. Although...he did suggest using a Suicide-Lead Aerodactyl, and after considering which one was the least useful, I booted Jolteon in favor of the Suicide-Leader. I'm still recovering from that RMT, but 1) I'm fighting a losing battle, and 2) After that disgrace, I'll probably never post an RMT ever again, even when I know it'll help me the most (even Battling 101...maybe). Also, I've gotten too cocky, but I won't get to THAT. T_T

Nowadays, I'm still looking for an available time for Battling 101, although after what happened with the RMT, I'm not sure if it'll do more good than harm, if you get what I mean. I'm stilling making up teams, many of which weren't much of a success. I'm currently racking my brain for a Para-Flinch themed team, though the nominiees are very limited...

Hmmm... I guess it's time to say how I started to play pokemon.

Everything started in 1998, when I got from my grandpa (unfortunately he's not with us anymore) my first Game Boy and Pokemon Red. I was really happy back then and I beat Elite 4 with all the starters. Man, good, old days... Anyway, it was really fun. Also as a kid I watched anime like I guess everyone here. After this I though I grew up from pokemon. But I was mistaken in this way of thinking.

It all started again in December 2007 when I found Pokemon Adventures manga on OneManga (and after this I changed website to PokeCommunity and after this for MangaFox, as MangaFox contains all translated chapters). I started to read it and to be honest I was surprised that it's much better than I thought. I guess sentiment was really strong, so after this I stayed on PokeCommunity Website and polish one Pokemony.com, but after two or three months I started to be dissapointed with level I found there. But I must be gratefull PokeCommunity for one thing - I started to learn what competitive pokemon is there. But I felt it's not enough and I found Smogon website. I started to read all those analyses, quite fascinated with fact, that Pokemon can be such entertaining and based on good strategy game. But I though it's impossible to play without Nintendo DS (I bought it, but I barely play on WiFi and my WiFi is broken right now anyway), but I found Shoddy Battle. Emulator, on which players could start playing on competitive level even without DS. So I tried my luck, however beginnings were hard, but I don't like to give up that easily, so I continued. I guess it took one month of playing and learning everything that I needed to know. Heck, I hated Garchomp back then, lol :D. It took another 4 months, I played with shorter ot longer pauses and after this I registered on Smogon forum. And at last I felt that I found forum, on which I felt I could really learn how to play and discuss on good level. But I really started to enjoy game after Garchomp OU ban and it was the time to also try another tiers like Ubers, BL (yeah, good old BL with Rhyperior, Arcanine, Flygon, etc. :D) or old UU (Aerodactyl :D). And right now it's 2 years of competitive playing with shorter or longer breaks... and I really like spending some of my free time on this forum. Well, in meantime I tried to learn few friends how to play pokemon, unfortunately they said it's just... to hard, heh :P. But yeah - for playing competitive pokemon Smogon is the best website, hands down. And I guess that's it. Cheers ;).

To learn more about damage calcs, and team building, and such.
I did a bunch of stuff on Serebii, i posted in the CRMT there, and i decided to come here for Competitive battling.

I suppose it started when FR/LG came out... I jumped back into pokemon after a very long hiatus.. (the last game I actually owned was Red...)

So I was at Serebii forums for a bit playing catch-up with the 2nd and 3rd generations, and trying to get back into the community, with varying success.

When DP/Pt came out I was back into the game, obsessed, went to release parties (ha...) I had gotten the hang of EV training, which put me at an advantage against friends, but I did not have the broader mindset for the actual competitive scene. I still don't, but I want to.

So, I've been lurking these forums for well over a year (mostly RMT to get some ideas)... but I find myself wanting.. more.. I guess.. so I finally signed up today :D

I liked pokemon when it came out but I started playing pokemon the videogame during 2nd gen when I got Pokemon Gold and Silver. I've been playing since then until I had a short break after playing Emerald. I tried to stay away but then FR/LG came out and I was back in again.

I told myself that this was the end after FR. I decided to retire and spend my remaining pokemon days in a beach house on the Galapagos Islands...BUT THEN DPPt came out and, like a Steelix to a Magneton, I was pulled back in with no escape in sight.

I came here to see how competitive battling changed and if I could make good teams to beat people with again. I'm lonahte...and I just joined Smogon.

I've been playing pokemon since the day it was released in America, and I got Pokemon Blue. Since then, I've owned every single game at one time or another, my favorite being the G/S/C gen.

I sort of fell out of it during the R/S/E gen, but jumped right back in with DP, where I immediately began to play competitively. I was always looking for a way to prove that Pokemon was a lot more than just a child's game, and that it did in fact require a lot more thinking than one would suspect.

Shortly after, I discovered Smogon whilst browsing the forums on GameFAQs. It's been my most helpful asset for the last few years, even though I only became a member last year in preparation for the VGC 2009. It's a place where people actually take you seriously when talking about pokemon, and everyone is very helpful, and more than willing to help you learn. Since finding this site, it's enabled me to make my own strategies and new teams, and I've passed on the information to some of my pokemon playing friends.

I stayed because it's just a great place with a great atmosphere. There's always someone willing to help you or give you honest crit. Sometimes the thing we need most is a whack upside the head to get us on the right track, and this is the best place to come for that.

I'm into pokemon in general, anything that's not the anime. I collect the Nidoking line over on the pkmncollectors Livejournal, and I've enjoyed using this site to build teams around said pokemon (it's funner when you screw people over using your favorites)

So thanks to you, Smogon, for giving people like us a save haven where we can really learn to play.

i can't remember when i found out aabout smogon but i think it was when i was looking on gamefaqs and there was users arguing about smogon. now that made me curious so i decided to see what smogon was like. i was excited to see all the things i could learn here so i decided to make an account and here i am now, making this post.

Throughout the months, I searched for competetive Pokemon. I could not find much. However, when I found something, it was either here, at serebii.net, or at bulbapedia. After reading the forums here, I decided to join. I joined at Christmas because I got my laptop then. As for why I'm staying: Who wouldn't?

I came to Smogon on accident looking for Pokemon help with something pretty lame like 'How do I beat this or that or whatever.' but I ended up greatly appreciating the analyses and the endless supply of PokeInfo.
This website has definitely made me a more advanced Pokemon Trainer.

I stayed because I've fallen in love with all the people on our forum. :)
Seriously, you people are the coolest.

I've been a tournament player for a lot of different games in the past, and my friend is pretty into this, so I figured I would get into the scene.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
How I Found Out About Smogon:

I first started playing Pokemon when I was about 10. My first catridge game was Pokemon FireRed, and man, it was addicting. About a year later, I got Pokemon Emerald, and that opened up a whole new experience for me. I spent hours and hours playing it every single day for around the next two years. Then I turned 13 and started high school. I played In-game Pokemon for a while now and I slowly began to think it was beginning to get much too easy and boring. I stopped playing it for around 3 months. One day for no particular reason at all, I decided to play Pokemon again. I was extremely bored. It was raining so I couldn't go out with friends, and my Internet wasn't working. It was a Friday night too, so I didn't have to worry about school the next day. I brought out my GameBoy to at least have something to do the next few hours. I planned to play it just to consume time, but when I started playing it again I knew why I fell for it in the first place. Since I already beat all the gym leaders and Elite Four, and I captured most of the legendaries, I decided to roam the Battle Frontier at Pokemon Emerald. I'm sure most of you know that the Battle Frontier, unlike the Gym Battles and the Elite Four Battles, focuses on Competitive Battling instead of In- Game Battling. This was the first time I explored the Battle Frontier, and needless to say, I got destroyed. I had no idea what the hell EVs and IVs were, I didn't know what natures did, and the only items I used were Leftovers and Shed Shell. I also had no clue about most of the abilities, including Overgrow and Guts. After the failure at the Battle Frontier, I decided to go on the Internet for information on how to improve my team. I went on Google to search up some movesets, and gradually I became familiar about the more in-depth game mechanics. I also lurked around countless sites' forums, including Smogon. It was by this that I found out about competitive pokemon battling. I played Pokemon Emerald's Battle Frontier for a long time, but my heart was still focused on competitive battling. Then one day I said, "Fuck it" and searched up how to battle competitively on the computer. I then downloaded Shoddy Battle and became a member of Smogon University, and well, here I am now.

Why I Stayed:

I'm 14 now, and I have played Shoddy for about 6 months now. I have been a Smogon member for about 2 months. I am still relatively new here, so I am currently staying to improve my battling skills more. I also like this community a lot.

I came here to improve my battling skills, and maybe meet a few other competitors along the way. I have been a part of other forums before, and always knew of smogon. Well, I finally decided to pony up and sign up.

Well, when I was little(like 4-6) I watched Pokemon. Nothing else. No teletubbies, no wiggles, just Pokemon. When I was 6-7 I went on a plane and in the entertainment section there was Pokemon Gold. I stayed up till 1am playing it. That might now seem like much but I usually went to sleep at 8pm at that age.

About 4 years later I was forced to join a lame holiday program. I was bored out of my wits. There was a guy with a GBA, I went over and watched him play Blue. I remembered the gold that I had played and felt a stir of emotion. He had gold as well. I asked if I could play and he said yes.

Next holidays, I had gotten my own GBA, along with Blue and Gold. I had no idea how outdated they were now. I played through both games with pride, after completing both games, I had myself a Lv100 Kadabra that I couldn't evolve, knowing the moves Psychic and the elemental punchs.

After spending countless hours on the internet learning everything I could about Pokemon(from Serebii). Learning the type chart, what Pokemon were found where, base stats...everything(apart from competitive battling) I read through all of GameFAQ's Walkthroughs and Guides.

Soon more Pokemon players came. I was recognized as the head of intelligence, knowing where to get a Pokemon if someone couldn't find one, knowing what types were good against another and all that. The guy who let me play his GBA when I first came got a DS. I was amazed by the incredible graphics of DP. I was amazed at everything. I was thrilled when he let me polish his gym badges.

I got a DS of my own, along with PMD2(I already had PMD1 and RSE) I heard about Platinum from Serebii and preordered it. I live in NZ who gets games about the same time as Europe. I got Platinum about three months earlier than everyone else, making them respect me even more.

I was most amazed by, not the Battle Frontier, not the graphics, not the music, but the ability to trade Wireless with Platinum. I got myself a Kadabra and evolved it, I was so happy.

A while later I was beating my friend's Lv100 Dialga with Lv1 Rattata. I was top of the world. No one ever defeated me.

Soon after I discovered competitive battling. I wasn't as big a noob as some competitive battlers started out as, since I had researched quite a lot of stuff but I was cocky. I found Smogon and read through every Pokemon's analysis and read all their guides.

I logged onto Shoddy and for the first time, I was defeated. Not defeated, wasted. When I told my friends I had been defeated, they asked who. I said I didn't know.

I did more and more research and played more battles on Shoddy. I got better, but not by much. And here I am, having wasted a lot of my free time learning about Pokemon :/

But I still suck :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)