CAP 1 Smogon's First "Create a Pokemon": Reflections, Opinions, and Closing

Are You Satisfied with how the First "Create A Pokemon" Turned Out?

• Yeah, I felt it was handled really well

Votes: 147 42.5%
  • Well, it was alright, but a few changes need to be made

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • No, I hated it

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • I really liked it, but I think the pokemon is broken, so I'm going to be stupid and say no

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • "Create A Pokemon?"

Votes: 31 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I'm so glad you updated us Doug. I was actually going to PM you today on your progress because I've been so stoked. :)

I further the Bulbasaur idea. :)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Bulbasaur idea makes a lot of sense. I worked on patching movesets today. I'll see if there is any interdependencies between evos in Shoddy. I don't think there are any relationships between them. If that's true, then I'll replace Bulbasaur, and Syclant will be Pokemon #1 on the mod server. Great idea!

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Syclant on Shoddy Update

More good news and bad news.

The good news -- it looks like I'll be able to add a new pokemon after all. I've built a few tools that will let me add Syclant, and just about anything else in the future. The manipulated mod file seems to save correctly and everything. Now that I have these tools, adding a brand new pokemon in the future will only take a few minutes. This is huge.

The only significant programming left is adding Mountaineer and creating a little client plugin to put Syclant sprites in the right place. The sprite step can be done by hand, so I'm not too worried about automating it. But, I'd like this to be as nice as possible.

The bad news -- I can't get a Shoddy Server to work properly on my computer! This is incredibly frustrating. I really don't know what the problem is. Even when I run the basic Shoddy server (no customization), I can't seem to connect to it from the client. I can connect to the official shoddy server. I can even see my server in the server list, but I can't connect to it. I've gone through everything I can think of -- networking, router, firewall, etc. Nothing seems to fix it. I've read all the FAQ's and guides I can get my hands on. No luck.

I've posted a message on the Shoddy forum, but I'm not real optimistic that it will get answered. It would really suck for me to get this close and not be able to finish because of some minor computer or network configuration glitch. I'm running out of ideas on how to debug the problem, considering that this problem does not appear to be related to the Java code. If anyone knows about hosting a Shoddy server, or knows someone who knows about it -- please speak up.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
AA would definatly be the person to ask, but I would do it in his "Running a Shoddy server" thread on Shoddy Forums. Dam about being so close! Also how hard do you think adding in Mountaineer will be?

EDIT: I presume you've read this and all.

DougJustDoug

AA would definatly be the person to ask, but I would do it in his "Running a Shoddy server" thread on Shoddy Forums. Dam about being so close! Also how hard do you think adding in Mountaineer will be?

EDIT: I presume you've read this and all.
Yes, I read that thread and many others. It contains fairly boilerplate stuff for running servers behind a firewall/dhcp etc. I'm pretty familiar with all this stuff -- or at least I thought I was....

I've got some more ideas to get past this roadblock. I won't be able to work on it tonight, but I'll be able to spend time on it tomorrow. I'll post an update if I have any breakthroughs.

Mountaineer isn't too tough. It works like many other abilities, and the abilities code in Shoddy is very extensible. I tip my hat to Colin. He did a very good job with Shoddy. I know some people may bitch about bugs and all... but looking at it from the inside out, there is a lot of great coding work in there.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
just wondering would it be possible for yu to e-mail the aditiond to someoe else and have them run the syclant mod? also do you plan to add the pre-evo (syclar)? how is the sprite for syclar going KOA?

also youre doing great, cant wait to try it out.

DougJustDoug

I've gotten the server running on my machine! I'm not sure what was going on yesterday, but I think it has something to do with my home router configuration. I'm on a different network right now and I can connect to my server by using the localhost loopback address (127.0.0.1)

My original intent was to avoid "listing" the server on Shoddy.com when doing testing. I planned on just running the client and server locally until I ironed out any bugs with my coding changes. So, the first thing I tried was connecting to the loopback address. For some reason, that wouldn't work -- so I proceeded to try other things. Many other things....

Today, since I am on a different network, I decided to try the loopback address again, just for kicks. I knew I couldn't list the server, since this network has almost all ports blocked. Whaddyaknow, it worked. At the very least, I now know I can connect to the server in certain situations. Now I need to figure out what the heck is going on with my home network. It may have something do with the fact that I use my wireless network card at home. Right now, I'm on a wired connection. I dunno. I'll look into it more tomorrow.

Anyway, coding is back in progress -- full steam ahead!

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
OMG I see it in the server list!

EDIT:
An error occurred while attempting to connect to the server:

Operation timed out

:( But I guess that's to be expcted as I realise it's not fully ready.
Doug is going to end up being everyones god after this.

EDIT2: Lol Anti n00b fortress! (real server...)

Dang, which server is it? I was expecting to see "Syclant server," or "DJD's House of Straight Love," but there's nothing like either of those. Where is it?

DougJustDoug

You may see a server named "Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server" in the Shoddy server list. That is the server I was experimenting with yesterday. It is not online, but since the registration with the metaserver succeeded, it's in the list. If Colin reboots the metaserver, it will probably disappear. If you see it, don't try to connect to it. It will just timeout. I still have some work to do before I get a working server running. I'll try to keep the same name and server UUID. I'll post all the connection details when everything is ready.

DougJustDoug

Syclant on Shoddy Update

Ta-dahhhh! I finally finished it!

Yep, you heard me right. Syclant is a usable pokemon on my modifed Shoddy server.

I even did a few battles to make sure Mountaineer worked and that the sprites showed up correctly. But, other than that, I didn't do too much. I must say it did look pretty cool seeing Syclant ignore Stealth Rock on the switch and outsped Garchomp for the kill with an Ice Punch! Very satisfying....

At this point, it needs play-testing. Particularly on Mountaineer. There wasn't too much to the coding of Mountaineer, but abilities are awfully tricky. Stuff like Skill Swap and Mold Breaker are incredibly intricate in how they interact with other abilities. Once again, my hat is off to Colin on Shoddy. After living in his code for the past few weeks, I've really come to appreciate the enormity of building a battle simulator.

My biggest problem is that the Shoddy metaserver doesn't seem to be listing my server. It could just be a hiccup in the metaserver right now or it could be a general problem seeing my server from the public internet. I can connect to the server with the "Advanced" button, but I'm inside a local network. I'm contacting a few "trusted friends" to do a little more external connection testing before posting connection details to everybody.

The base coding work is done. In the future, it will only take a few minutes to add new pokemon. If we do any more new moves or abilities, that will take a little longer. But, nothing like the time it took to get Syclant done. Now that I have all the tools in place, future pokemon will be a piece of cake.

KoA

is an Artist
Me and Doug just finished a test battle in Shoddy christening the new pokemon to the metagame. The results were phenomenal.

Here's a quick screencap I pulled of the battle featuring him at work.

Honestly, Doug has done so much for us he deserves all the praise he gets. Mountaneer works like a charm. :P

DougJustDoug

OK. It is now official. Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server is open for business!!!!

Here are the exact steps you need to do:

If you have never connected to Shoddy, then go install it and connect to a server. Maybe watch a battle or something. But don't follow these steps until you've actually USED Shoddy. Otherwise, the Syclant sprites might not load.

Download this file
NewPokemonSprites.jar
and put it in a directory you can access from a command prompt. The simplest place is "C:\" for any "technically-challenged" folks out there. I would not advise saving it to your desktop. It's very hard to get to the desktop directory from the command line.

Open a Command Prompt window. It should be under Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt. Or you can do "Run..." from the Start menu and type "cmd". Either way, it'll open a command window.

Go to the directory where you saved NewPokemonSprites.jar The easiest way to do that is to type "cd c:\thedirectory\youused". Substitute the directories accordingly, and don't type those words literally. For example, if you saved it in C:\, then type "cd c:\" and press enter.

That file you downloaded is a java program. That means you have to run it with a special command. Now type "java -jar NewPokemonSprites.jar" and press enter. You should see several messages saying it stored a bunch of Syclant sprites. If not, then something went wrong.

OK, now you have Syclant sprites in the right place. I really wished I could have avoided those steps, but with the way the Shoddy client is designed, I couldn't come up with a better way to get the sprites into the client.

Now you can connect to my server. Start the Shoddy Battle client.

Use the "Advanced" button, if you don't see "Doug's Create-A-Pokemon Server" in the list. You probably WON'T see it in the list. Use this address and port:

address 98.195.195.196
port 8888

From there, you should see a welcome screen to register and login. Please use your Smogon name for this server.

IMPORTANT -- You might not be able to use existing teams. KoA had some trouble with it, and had to make a new team. I don't know the cause, but it may be because this is actually a new metagame definition. Shoddy comes with Advance and DP -- this is an entirely new one with a new "generation" of pokes.

Syclant is pokemon #499, at the very bottom after Arceus. Have fun. Test him out. Check out Mountaineer closely. I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

That's pretty darn cool. "Syclant is a Mountaineer and avoided the floating stones!" Awesome, although I imagine if it actually existed the text used wouldn't be as cool.

What's it say when it uses Mountaineer to dodge a Rock attack?

KoA

is an Artist
I imagine it would say the same, but I've not tested it yet.

Someone come in the server with me to try out various Syclant things! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)