Spelling and Grammar Standards

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Spaces are used in typings, though, and a lot of the examples here have spaces.
just a note

the space around the / backslash only has to happen when talking about like Fighting / Psychic type Pokemon, and other Pokegrammar like the separation between base stats and EVs (252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe)

and/or shouldn't have spaces around it and other normal English uses don't need it (I can't think of any other besides and/or atm but they're out there I know)
From the old thread

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokebank is of corse the highly accepted "unofficial" spelling, but I lean towards Poke Bank as there is also "Poke Transporter". If we're shortening "Pokemon", it should probably follow the same pattern.

we could always just use pokemon bank, but pokebank imo flows better and is generally accepted so we can use PokeBank

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would say PokéBank (the é being for the acute 'e'). That is the best option IMO, as there are no official abbreviations to work off, so we can basically choose whatever we want. This looks and flows best, I think.

I think we should use the é in c&c. It's used in the smog and it is also technically correct. While it is more work, I believe it's worth it just for the consistency. I can't imagine how long it would take to change now though.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The old Spelling and Grammar Thread said:
  • Pokemon should be spelled without the accent.
Why should this change after years of consistently using it. We stress consistency in analyses, and this is no different. Changing this now would make no sense for readers, and going back and changing literally every "e" in Pokemon or any other word we don't already have it in would be tedious and is just a job that is completely unnecessary.

This is further implied by a member who has greatly influenced the way we hold our standards:
I don't like the accented e at all for anything. People read "Poke Ball" and they know how it's pronounced because they know how "Pokemon" is pronounced. I don't think it's a huge issue.
Keep it like it has been for years, please.

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The Smog has a team of dedicated HTMLers that are willing to catch that sort of stuff to make it as accurate and presentably pleasant as possible.

C&C probably has the manpower to actually do it with a shit ton of effort, but the sheer workload involved, and the ease of just writing it as Pokemon, simply isn't worth going through and changing all of them or shifting policy now.

However, should we get a working SCMSbot once again that can do it automatically, then we can actually consider changing policy to including the accent. Until then, I will not force anyone to use it and will actively discourage them from doing so.

Is there anything special I need to do to use the ASCII Apostrophe and Quotation marks on the forums? I've had a brief search for an alt code and didn't find anything (my bad, i know) and the forum automatically has ASCII apostrophes and quotation marks (might not be b/c I dont wear my glasses much though xD).

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How should we handle capitalization in Checks & Counters? Should we capitalize everything (which is how it currently is), or leave "-types" uncapitalized and other hyphenated words? For example, should we write "Toxic-Immune Pokemon" or "Toxic-immune Pokemon"? Turning those headers into "sentences" and only capitalizing normal things/the first word seems to be the best way to avoid this, but it would make it look a bit messy.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
IMO we should capitalize things like they do in titles. eg: "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?"

edit: this goes for hyphenated words, too.

Last edited:
I've also been doing what Redew's saying (I think) based off "Hazard Removal" and "Grass-types" being used in the XY Smeargle example for the new format. Capitalize most things like you would in any other title.

What's the correct usage of "double-targeting"? Is there always a hyphen? Is there a hyphen in "double-targeted"?
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp

The only context I can think of in which I would not hyphenate "double-targeting" would be when I am using them as separate words, like if I were using "double" as a verb and "targeting" as a noun. never mind, see my subsequent post.

Related to this, because of the conventions in the above link, I disagree with the OP's claim that "revenge-kill" should never be hyphenated. "To air-condition the house would be costly" is an example in the link provided; "to revenge-kill Salamence would be wise" would be also be correct.

How should we handle capitalization in Checks & Counters? Should we capitalize everything (which is how it currently is), or leave "-types" uncapitalized and other hyphenated words? For example, should we write "Toxic-Immune Pokemon" or "Toxic-immune Pokemon"? Turning those headers into "sentences" and only capitalizing normal things/the first word seems to be the best way to avoid this, but it would make it look a bit messy.
If "Toxic-immune Pokemon" were the actual title of a section, then the "i" would be capitalized, but if this were simply a phrase in a sentence, then I would not capitalize it.

Last edited:
kleine it's just a thing not to hyphenate revenge kill and super effective, not really a grammar thing. And I think it was agreed upon that everything is capitalized in C&C (I personally think we should capitalize everything except a word coming after a hyphen, but w/e)?

kleine it's just a thing not to hyphenate revenge kill and super effective, not really a grammar thing.
I don't disagree with you on "super effective," but you cannot omit the hyphen in "Salamence revenge-killed Swampert."

See #5 in this link: http://www.dailywritingtips.com/10-types-of-hyphenation-errors/. "It is beneficial to double target" is correct if no object follows "double target." If instead the sentence reads "It is beneficial to double-target Pikachu," then a hyphen is necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)