Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I have found a potential new tech for stall teams, which has potential despite an admittedly enormous opportunity cost- innards out pyukumuku:

Pyukumuku @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Level: 89
Hasty Nature
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP
- Block
- Spite
- Recover
- Rest

This set is modeled after a similar idea in gen7 where a pyukumuku set that guaranteed was 1hkod by hoopa-u, and killed back with innards out. The targets for this set are Crawdaunt and Tapu Lele.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 286-338 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku in Psychic Terrain: 282-333 (100.7 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku in Psychic Terrain: 280-330 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku: 290-342 (103.5 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It kills back Crawdaunt 100% of the time, and brings lele down to 1 hp, and as such lele can be handled with any hazards or status of any kind.

Unfortunately, these kills may go away if the opponent gets hazards up, so I put hdb to avoid this. Even if the item is removed by some weird chance or otherwise some small chip is inflicted, bringing lele and crawdaunt down super low is still enough reward. Crawdaunt in particular will probably just kill itself immediately afterward, if it doesn't instantly.

The moves aren't important but they let you trap some defensive pokemon sometimes i guess. that might be nice to speed up your win.

While I struggle to see this finding consistency, it could be useful as a one-off or as a ladder gimmick, especially with the rise of teams such as mimikyu stardust's crawdaunt HO.

edit: got suggested on disc to run 0 def/spd ivs for higher levels

Level: 94
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Block
- Spite
- Recover
- Rest

this keeps the calcs from before but also has enough hp for lele

Last edited:
I have found a potential new tech for stall teams, which has potential despite an admittedly enormous opportunity cost- innards out pyukumuku:

Level: 89
Hasty Nature
- Block
- Spite
- Recover
- Rest

This set is modeled after a similar idea in gen7 where a pyukumuku set that guaranteed was 1hkod by hoopa-u, and killed back with innards out. The targets for this set are Crawdaunt and Tapu Lele.

252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku: 286-338 (102.1 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku in Psychic Terrain: 282-333 (100.7 - 118.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0- Def Pyukumuku in Psychic Terrain: 280-330 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. Lvl 89 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku: 290-342 (103.5 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It kills back Crawdaunt 100% of the time, and brings lele down to 1 hp, and as such lele can be handled with any hazards or status of any kind.

Unfortunately, these kills may go away if the opponent gets hazards up, so I put hdb to avoid this. Even if the item is removed by some weird chance or otherwise some small chip is inflicted, bringing lele and crawdaunt down super low is still enough reward. Crawdaunt in particular will probably just kill itself immediately afterward, if it doesn't instantly.

The moves aren't important but they let you trap some defensive pokemon sometimes i guess. that might be nice to speed up your win.

While I struggle to see this finding consistency, it could be useful as a one-off or as a ladder gimmick, especially with the rise of teams such as mimikyu stardust's crawdaunt HO.

edit: got suggested on disc to run 0 def/spd ivs for higher levels

Level: 94
Hasty Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Block
- Spite
- Recover
- Rest

this keeps the calcs from before but also has enough hp for lele
Might sound stupid to run speed EVs on the slowest Pokemon in the game but you can run 252 Spe EVs to outrun things like Ferro, Slowtwins, Sassy Gastrodon, 0 Speed Teleport Blissey, some Melmetal, Toxapex, Torkoal, and Quagsire. I'm not sure if there's a big downside to doing this as even with 0/0 defense IVs you can still trap a lot of bulky Pokemon and thus not be complete dead weight when not Innards-Out bombing some poor Tapu Lele.

Also I guess it's worth mentioning that just regular Unaware Pyukumuku with either no item or I guess Sitrus Berry beats any Crawdaunt set without dying in the process, especially SD but it even takes Banded Knock Offs well enough.

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 134-158 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Even so suicide bomber Pyukumuku seems like a lot of fun! Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
Might sound stupid to run speed EVs on the slowest Pokemon in the game but you can run 252 Spe EVs to outrun things like Ferro, Slowtwins, Sassy Gastrodon, 0 Speed Teleport Blissey, some Melmetal, Toxapex, Torkoal, and Quagsire. I'm not sure if there's a big downside to doing this as even with 0/0 defense IVs you can still trap a lot of bulky Pokemon and thus not be complete dead weight when not Innards-Out bombing some poor Tapu Lele.

Also I guess it's worth mentioning that just regular Unaware Pyukumuku with either no item or I guess Sitrus Berry beats any Crawdaunt set without dying in the process, especially SD but it even takes Banded Knock Offs well enough.

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 134-158 (42.6 - 50.3%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

Even so suicide bomber Pyukumuku seems like a lot of fun! Can't wait to try it out.
yeah may as well run speed evs for that good catch

my concern with no item unaware pyuk is that if there's hazards up it could potentially get 2hkod by crawdaunt, and outside of crawdaunt off the top of my head I can't think of anything else it's good for

I believe that regieleki's article in the smogon website should be updated.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the set written there,but I see a lots of people who are using this pokemon more offensively.

you should add a few more more offensive sets.

I am not saying that there is anything wrong with the set written there,but I see a lots of people who are using this pokemon more offensively.

I'd like to follow this up by saying there is something wrong with the set written there

There's plenty of mons in sore need of an article update, but with a new gen around the corner I don't expect very much. People's focus is rightfully elsewhere.

something irrelevant to my last post:

as about the terastal phenomenon in the upcoming gen:

I know that this is controversial among the competitive community due to not having much downsides,so I would like to request whoever is in charge of making the rules to consider nerfing it instead of banning it, since one of the criticisms is that it does not require an item; you can make some rule about that,like a rule that allows terastilization to only happen on pokemon with no held items either on pokemon holding useless items like potion or pokemon holding hindering items like power band.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader

I know that this is controversial among the competitive community due to not having much downsides,so I would like to request whoever is in charge of making the rules to consider nerfing it instead of banning it, since one of the criticism is that it does not require an item you can make some rule about that,like a rule that allows terastilization to only happen on pokemon with no held items either on pokemon holding useless items like potion or pokemon holding hindering items like power band.
It's way too early to discuss things like this. We don't know all the exact details surrounding the mechanic and we are yet to see it in practice in a competitive environment. Also, we would like to keep this forum spoiler-free, so please refrain from this subject in this forum for now. We might make a thread dedicated to competitive SV OU discussion closer to its release date, but no promises.

Last edited:
It's way too early to discuss things like this. We don't know all the exact details surrounding the mechanic and we are yet to see it in practice in a competitive environment. Also, we would like to keep this forum spoiler-free, so please refrain from this subject in this forum for now. We might make a thread dedicated to competitive SV OU discussion closer to its release date, but no promises.
okay sorry,do you want me to delete my comment?

I know that this is controversial among the competitive community due to not having much downsides,so I would like to request whoever is in charge of making the rules to consider nerfing it instead of banning it, since one of the criticisms is that it does not require an item; you can make some rule about that,like a rule that allows terastilization to only happen on pokemon with no held items either on pokemon holding useless items like potion or pokemon holding hindering items like power band.
By that logic, we should allow Mewtwo at only level 75, since then it wouldn't be overpowered

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Ive been doing great with this boy decently high on OLT ladder (low 1900s), and man this mon preys on current teams so hard. The banded ttars, the spdef chomps (esp if u pair this with fini), the balloon trans, everything gets absolutely fried. Lots of jetless pads shifus, and fire blast cooks chipped landos. It just seems like a lot of teams on the ladder right now aren't fully respecting Volcarona in the builder, and because of it this thing just dominates with extreme ease.

I really recommend trying some bulky offence/hyper offence builds with this mon. Especially paired with Lele for stronger psychics or Fini for easier setup vs defensive chomp. Also Volcarona can actually threaten to beat down blissey a bit if u have misty terrain up.

In order to get a complex ban to fly, it would have to be super clear that the reason why the thing is broken is because of that specific thing, and that specific thing only. It also has to be clear that the complex ban would fix all the issues with that mechanic

Keeping the discussion away from gen 9, during the Dynamax ban, there was a reasonable argument to be made that Dynamax wasn't broken if good Dynamax options like Gyrados or Hawlucha were prevented from doing so. But even if you did that, there's no guaruntee that something similar wouldn't just take its place. Plus, it wouldn't fix other fundamental issues with Dynamax, like the fact that it invalidates positioning and defensive counterplay in singles generally. Gen 5 OU just banned gems. They could have, if they wanted to, just banned the main abusers from using them, or banned the best gem types, or only allowed on gem per team, but it wouldn't address the low risk high reward nature of them, or that they limit, again, defensive counterplay.

Trying to fix Dynamax, for example, by disallowing pokemon the ability to Dynamax and hold items at the same time, would be tough to justify because any Pokemon can Dynamax, and half the strength of the mechanic is that you can Dynamax anything at any time, including weird picks, if it benefits you (this happens often in VGC). So you'd have a lot of teams running 1, maybe 2 items total just to exploit Dynamax. All that just to run the risk of not actually even fixing the core issue

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Wanted to make another quick post about an OU fire type. Heatran has been seen a lot using balloon lately, tending to wall other heartens as a result. We also have seen a big uptake in band ttar, so I thought body press Heatran might be worth again.

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire / Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Body Press
- Taunt / Stealth Rock / Toxic

Keeping earth power because I dont want to be the goof Heatran walled by Victini. Point is, this mon could be nice on balance rn. Cannot say for certain as my testing has been slow (I dont know how to build balance).

Along with this I was wondering what peoples thoughts on defensive Landos are rn. Physdef obviously hurts to use as it gets obliterated by all the physical attackers of the tier, and while spdef does soft-sponge hits from the tiers special mons, I feel like the presence of balloon eruption tran has started making Lando feel easily abusable. Spdef Chomp has felt better in the roll of spdef ground, so maybe offensive sets could do Lando justice?

Wanted to make another quick post about an OU fire type. Heatran has been seen a lot using balloon lately, tending to wall other heartens as a result. We also have seen a big uptake in band ttar, so I thought body press Heatran might be worth again.

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire / Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Body Press
- Taunt / Stealth Rock / Toxic

Keeping earth power because I dont want to be the goof Heatran walled by Victini. Point is, this mon could be nice on balance rn. Cannot say for certain as my testing has been slow (I dont know how to build balance).

Along with this I was wondering what peoples thoughts on defensive Landos are rn. Physdef obviously hurts to use as it gets obliterated by all the physical attackers of the tier, and while spdef does soft-sponge hits from the tiers special mons, I feel like the presence of balloon eruption tran has started making Lando feel easily abusable. Spdef Chomp has felt better in the roll of spdef ground, so maybe offensive sets could do Lando justice?
As a specially defensive Ground-type, Landorus offers amazing role compression which can't be matched in the tier. Whether it or Garchomp better matches up to a specific variant of Heatran which isn't all that common won't invalidate that when it has so many other favorable qualities. It's not like either set isn't walled by Air Ballon Heatran anyways, where it can force progress on them due to a lack of reliable recovery, so I don't understand why this question is being posed.

Offensive Landorus are the second most popular and also the only other viable sets which are rather playstyle specific; those being Suicide Lead, SD, and Offensive Utility. I personally see these exclusively on Hyper Offense or Offense, but fast utility sets also make their way onto some balances as a way to better manage Heatran, Volcanion, and Nidoking. They've been experimented with heavily already, and certainly do not contend its specially defensive set in terms of viability.

Aside from that, Body Press Heatran is a fun set, although I recommend the spread to be physically defensive. I've used it a few times myself on teams where I needed a way to help manage Blissey, Tyranitar, Hydreigon, and opposing Heatran. It can be hard to fit in but it is rewarding at times.

Last edited:

Scarfire

MPL Champion
As a specially defensive Ground-type, Landorus offers amazing role compression which can't be matched in the tier. Whether it or Garchomp better matches up to a specific variant of Heatran which isn't all that common won't invalidate that when it has so many other favorable qualities. It's not like either set isn't walled by Air Ballon Heatran anyways, where it can force progress on them due to a lack of reliable recovery, so I don't understand why this question is being posed.

Offensive Landorus are the second most popular and also the only other viable sets which are rather playstyle specific; those being Suicide Lead, SD, and Offensive Utility. I personally see these exclusively on Hyper Offense or Offense, but fast utility sets also make their way onto some balances as a way to better manage Heatran, Volcanion, and Nidoking. They've been experimented with heavily already, and certainly do not contend its specially defensive set in terms of viability.

Aside from that, Body Press Heatran is a fun set, although I recommend the spread to be physically defensive. I've used it a few times myself on teams where I needed a way to help manage Blissey, Tyranitar, Hydreigon, and opposing Heatran. It can be hard to fit in but it is rewarding at times.
You make a fair point that garchomp has the same walled by balloon tran issue, but being able to resist fire was rly the main reason I was rooting for Chomp over Lando as a spdef ground. Blace Volc and Tran get more reliably checked long term, and its also better vs bullshit Zapdos and to an extent, rotom-wash.

I understand why defensive Landorus is used, I get the role compression is good but as of late both through my experience and watching OLT games its felt like Lando exists just to die right now and maybe defog. I did have a good time with offensive sets like smack down/gravity/scarf though.

Also yeah, physdef for press Tran is fine. Just depends on what ur checking with tran for your team. I just copy pasted it from a team where its my volc/lele answer.

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Ive been doing great with this boy decently high on OLT ladder (low 1900s), and man this mon preys on current teams so hard. The banded ttars, the spdef chomps (esp if u pair this with fini), the balloon trans, everything gets absolutely fried. Lots of jetless pads shifus, and fire blast cooks chipped landos. It just seems like a lot of teams on the ladder right now aren't fully respecting Volcarona in the builder, and because of it this thing just dominates with extreme ease.

I really recommend trying some bulky offence/hyper offence builds with this mon. Especially paired with Lele for stronger psychics or Fini for easier setup vs defensive chomp. Also Volcarona can actually threaten to beat down blissey a bit if u have misty terrain up.
What set do you mainly run on Fini?

I believe that a somewhat underrated pokemon in OU is scyther.

the set that this pokemon should be using is this:

EVs:
252-atk
252-speed
4-def.

moveset:
u-turn
dual-wingbeat
defog
brick break

item:
heavy dutty boots (alternative items are the choice band and the scope lens but I don't reccomend them).

ability:
technician.

I don't think that this pokemon is great, but it is somewhat underrated.
as about why I think that this pokemon deserves some love here is why:

for starters scyther has the single most powerful dual wingbeat in the game since it gets both a boost from technician AND a stab.
there are fighting types that scyzor would struggle to beat without an item that boosts its move's power.
the dual wingbeat is a guaranteed OHKO on both bu

as a pivot it does not have a reason to worry about landorus(one of the most common leads).

the brick break attack is more meant for the utility purpose of removing your opponents shields instead of waiting for them to leave(most pokemon that can run brick break chose also run other stronger fighting type moves so they don't pick it due to opportunity cost).
if you want,you can run choice band,with that way you can OHKO tyranitar.

its speed gives it a niche over its evolved form.
thanks to its impressive 105 speed,it can outrun the majority of grass bug and fighting types.the speed also makes it one of the fastest pivots in the game and also one of the fastest defogers(most pokemon faster than it either don't run defog or don't boost their speed much.)

I believe that a somewhat underrated pokemon in OU is scyther.

the set that this pokemon should be using is this:

EVs:
252-atk
252-speed
4-def.

moveset:
u-turn
dual-wingbeat
defog
brick break

item:
heavy dutty boots (alternative items are the choice band and the scope lens but I don't reccomend them).

ability:
technician.

I don't think that this pokemon is great, but it is somewhat underrated.
as about why I think that this pokemon deserves some love here is why:

for starters scyther has the single most powerful dual wingbeat in the game since it gets both a boost from technician AND a stab.
there are fighting types that scyzor would struggle to beat without an item that boosts its move's power.
the dual wingbeat is a guaranteed OHKO on both

as a pivot it does not have a reason to worry about landorus(one of the most common leads).

the brick break attack is more meant for the utility purpose of removing your opponents shields instead of waiting for them to leave(most pokemon that can run brick break chose also run other stronger fighting type moves so they don't pick it due to opportunity cost).
if you want,you can run choice band,with that way you can OHKO tyranitar.

its speed gives it a niche over its evolved form.
thanks to its impressive 105 speed,it can outrun the majority of grass bug and fighting types.the speed also makes it one of the fastest pivots in the game and also one of the fastest defogers(most pokemon faster than it either don't run defog or don't boost their speed much.)
If you wanted a fast, offensive pivot with Defog and physical flying STAB, would Crobat not be better? I guess then a fast, offensive pivot with Defog, phsyical flying STAB, and fighting coverage would be the thing Scyther does better than other options.

-1 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 98-116 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- approx. 0.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Scyther Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 140-166 (36.2 - 43%) -- 97.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Scyther Brick Break vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 108-128 (25.7 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 248-294 (88.2 - 104.6%) -- approx. 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 186-218 (52.1 - 61%) -- approx. 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 222-264 (79 - 93.9%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 318-374 (44.5 - 52.3%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to 2HKO

I guess my main problem with it is that it doesn't threaten much outside of frail pokemon like Weavile (who outspeed and kill it anyway). When I think about an effective offensive pivot, I think, like Barraskewda or Dragapult. They come in, threaten to 1 or 2HKO your whole team, and use U-turn/Flip Turn on the switch. Scyther comes in and gets walled by most things. By Melmetal, Zapdos, Tornadus, Rotom, Toxapex, Defensive Heatran, Landorus-T. It's a physical attacker that struggles to 2HKO Blissey. And where it doesn't get walled, it doesn't do enough damage to pick up KOs on big threats and gets forced out by its poor typing. Scyther comes in as a pivot to win you momentum but will lose momentum 80% of the time.

That's not to say I don't think you can win games with it. Some of the neutral dual wingbeat damage calcs were kind of interesting. But I think for niche Pokemon like Sychter you really have to find a situation where it works better than anything else, and we have better offensive pivots in the tier.

I was thinking maybe a Bulky Swords Dance set like this?

Code:
Scyther @ Eviolite 
Ability: Technician 
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 48 Def / 176 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Dual Wingbeat 
- Roost / Brick Break / Quick Attack
- U-turn 
- Swords Dance
Basically, enough speed to outspeed Modest specs Tapu Lele, enough attack to OHKO offensive Rillaboom unboosted, and the rest into HP and defense. It's a worse Weavile to be clear, that's far more annoyed by rocks. But unlike Weavile, you don't have to sack something to check Rillaboom if rocks aren't up, and you're not walled by Buzzwole. I'm not entirely convinced, but it is something.

Probably best used on a team that struggles with the above Pokemon and has plenty of hazards support. I'm talking, like, defog/rapid spin and magic bounce on one team. You could also swap the Eviolite for Heavy-Duty Boots, but then it loses its ability to come in on things. For example, Eviolite lets Scyther take any attack from specs Lele from full.

There's also this Scyther here doing his best Tornadus-T impression:

Code:
Scyther @ Heavy-Duty Boots  
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 136 Def / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Dual Wingbeat  
- U-turn  
- Defog  
- Knock Off
for when you hate missing Hurricane. The EVs mean you take physical attacks about as well as Torn-T does.

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 116 HP / 136 Def Scyther on a critical hit: 288-342 (92.9 - 110.3%) -- approx. 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian on a critical hit: 333-396 (91.9 - 109.3%) -- approx. 50% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 116 HP / 136 Def Scyther: 151-178 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 177-208 (48.8 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Plus you take Close Combat from CB water Urshifu and Buzzwole way better due to your typing. Neat

Haven't tried Scyther in OU, but if I did, I would never use Boots one and would run either Band or SD + Eviolite.

Without Eviolite, Scyther offers almost nothing defensively (checking Rillaboom and Buzzwole I guess), so if you use a Mon like this, you already have to go out of your way when building a team with it, so multiple Hazard removers (Lando-T, Corvi, Torn, Drill, even Scizor) look like a way better idea in order to support a supposedly big offensive threat than trying to do too many things with a low defensive profile and failing at all of them.

So, to sum up:
Boots Scyther bad, does 0 offensively, does 0 defensively.

Band Scyther breaks holes with Stabs, runs away from the counters with U-Turn. Main perks over similar Band Mons (Watershifu, Buzzwole, Rillaboom, Kartana, Weavile...) include being faster than some of them and having Stab U-Turn + Technician Dual Wing Beat, no other Mon has this combination. Needs big support, probably Double Defog and Zone (similar to Band Weavile in this regard, though Weavile is a much better Mon and can get away without Zone).

SD + Eviolite should work as an unorthodox win condition that wears down the counters with U-Turn and sweeps in late game, especially vs bulky teams that have their Steels removed (probably by Magnezone). Just like Band, needs huge support.

This is all theorymoning of course, I haven't actually used Scyther. But just like I already said, Band and SD+Eviolite look to have way more of a niche in OU than Boots.

If you wanted a fast, offensive pivot with Defog and physical flying STAB, would Crobat not be better? I guess then a fast, offensive pivot with Defog, phsyical flying STAB, and fighting coverage would be the thing Scyther does better than other options.

-1 252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Landorus-Therian: 98-116 (25.6 - 30.3%) -- approx. 0.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Scyther Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 140-166 (36.2 - 43%) -- 97.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Scyther Brick Break vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 108-128 (25.7 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Weavile: 248-294 (88.2 - 104.6%) -- approx. 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 186-218 (52.1 - 61%) -- approx. 98% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 222-264 (79 - 93.9%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 Atk Technician Scyther Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 318-374 (44.5 - 52.3%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to 2HKO

I guess my main problem with it is that it doesn't threaten much outside of frail pokemon like Weavile (who outspeed and kill it anyway). When I think about an effective offensive pivot, I think, like Barraskewda or Dragapult. They come in, threaten to 1 or 2HKO your whole team, and use U-turn/Flip Turn on the switch. Scyther comes in and gets walled by most things. By Melmetal, Zapdos, Tornadus, Rotom, Toxapex, Defensive Heatran, Landorus-T. It's a physical attacker that struggles to 2HKO Blissey. And where it doesn't get walled, it doesn't do enough damage to pick up KOs on big threats and gets forced out by its poor typing. Scyther comes in as a pivot to win you momentum but will lose momentum 80% of the time.

That's not to say I don't think you can win games with it. Some of the neutral dual wingbeat damage calcs were kind of interesting. But I think for niche Pokemon like Sychter you really have to find a situation where it works better than anything else, and we have better offensive pivots in the tier.

I was thinking maybe a Bulky Swords Dance set like this?

Code:
Scyther @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 48 Def / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dual Wingbeat
- Roost / Brick Break / Quick Attack
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
Basically, enough speed to outspeed Modest specs Tapu Lele, enough attack to OHKO offensive Rillaboom unboosted, and the rest into HP and defense. It's a worse Weavile to be clear, that's far more annoyed by rocks. But unlike Weavile, you don't have to sack something to check Rillaboom if rocks aren't up, and you're not walled by Buzzwole. I'm not entirely convinced, but it is something.

Probably best used on a team that struggles with the above Pokemon and has plenty of hazards support. I'm talking, like, defog/rapid spin and magic bounce on one team. You could also swap the Eviolite for Heavy-Duty Boots, but then it loses its ability to come in on things. For example, Eviolite lets Scyther take any attack from specs Lele from full.

There's also this Scyther here doing his best Tornadus-T impression:

Code:
Scyther @ Heavy-Duty Boots 
EVs: 116 HP / 4 Atk / 136 Def / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Dual Wingbeat 
- U-turn 
- Defog 
- Knock Off
for when you hate missing Hurricane. The EVs mean you take physical attacks about as well as Torn-T does.

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 116 HP / 136 Def Scyther on a critical hit: 288-342 (92.9 - 110.3%) -- approx. 56.3% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu-Rapid-Strike Surging Strikes (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian on a critical hit: 333-396 (91.9 - 109.3%) -- approx. 50% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 116 HP / 136 Def Scyther: 151-178 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 177-208 (48.8 - 57.4%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

Plus you take Close Combat from CB water Urshifu and Buzzwole way better due to your typing. Neat
I guess you make a nice point about crobat,but I am not completely sure if it would work as an alternative because its flying stab is weaker,it injures the user and would have to run adamant in order to come close to doing as much damage as scyther's dual wingbeat.
Thanks to technician, the base power of dual wingbeat becomes 60 per strike,and this move strikes twice meaning that it esentially has base power of 120.
crobat's only flying type moves with 120 or more base power are brave bird (which has 120 power + recoil) and sky attack (which has 140 power + a turn to charge first).
and unfortunately crobat's base attack is 90 while scyther's attack is 110 (an adamant crobat with 252 atk EVs has 306 attack while a 252 atk scyther with jolly has 319).

also the move brick break was only meant for the utility purpose of geting rid of the opponent's reflect and light screen,it was never meant to kill anything with it.(you can kill tyranitar with it but you will need a choice band in order to guarantee an OHKO).

as about crobat....I guess tailwind could go to the fourth slot?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)