Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Not sure if you need both u turn and volt considering you have gleam. But I feel I am wrong
Volt Switch is used to do much more damage to stuff like Heatran, Galarian Slowking, and Clefable, and avoid Iron Barbs chip from Ferrothorn, while U-turn lets you pivot out of Ground-types.
not OP but i'd assume they were talking about Arctozolt :arctozolt:
Yes.

Since everyone’s been highlighting underrated sets, I thought I’d do the same.

Protect Blaziken :blaziken:

As people who have seen my VR posts are no doubt aware of, I think blaziken is criminally underrated in the current metagame. Swords dance is an excellent set for hyper offence, but outside of that archetype it can be difficult to find opportunities to safely set up with its initially poor speed and frailty. I believe the key to synergize blaziken with standard offensively inclined teams is protect. Here is the set I’ve had most success with.

:bw/blaziken:
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Knock Off​

Life orb is essential to maintain Blaziken’s impressive damage output despite forgoing swords dance. Ability and evs are standard (my unique ev spreads won’t work for non sd blaze). A jolly nature is chosen to 1v1 zeraora and dragapult in conjunction with protect. Stabs are mandatory as usual. I experimented with sd+protect, but it struggles to break through its checks and knock off is much more useful for ohkoing pult unboosted, getting strong damage on slowtwins+victini, removing lefties from checks that rely on them like lando and fini, and general utility.

Why use this set?
The two primary reasons to use this set are speed control and lategame cleaning. A free +1 Blaziken is faster than all relevant non scarfed forms of speed control outside of weather. This provides the average offense team an exceptional tool vs some of the mons it struggles with the most, namely dragapult and zeraora. Protect is also useful for scouting out sets like twave ferro and scarf fini(check for hydro pump). This set also shines in lategame cleaning thanks to protect because it lessens the difficulty the sd set has with finding a mon to outspeed and ko lategame to kick off a sweep, since u can stay in on numerous offensive mons and take advantage of their vulnerability to blaziken’s stabs/knock off after a boost.

Cons of this set:
The biggest flaw in this set is the lack of breaking power. Toxapex and Fini come in considerably easier on attacks from this set rather than taking a +2 thunder punch, although fini can be worn down after knocking lefties. The second biggest con, and I am not joking, is the dumbass plays you will certainly make vs Urshifu-RS. “I’ll just scout with protect in case it doesn’t use aqua jet.” I cannot handle myself. I know what shifu’s ability does, I know I have a switchin, but for some reason I protect anyway.

Good teammates:
Anything that lures in pex (tpunch shifu, unexpected trappers like fire spin victini, etc.) Water switchins are useful, ferrothorn in particular can set spikes to wear down blaziken’s checks and check fini and lando. Double fire cores with banded victini I’ve been having considerable success with thanks to bolt strike’s high damage output on shared checks. A solid ground switchin is necessary to use this core (I’ve been quite liking blaziken/victini/corviknight). Fs users also pair well with protect blaziken since they can help it to beat pex, slowbro can check offensive grounds as well. Rotom-w is brilliantly paired with blaziken, bringing a water resist and electric moves, flying resist, ground immunity, pivot move, and blaziken appreciates it’s ability to bring it in on ferrothorn and other mons it forces out easily.

The end

Edit: changed to the bw sprite cause that’s my vibe rn

Last edited:
Since everyone’s been highlighting underrated sets, I thought I’d do the same.

Protect Blaziken :blaziken:

As people who have seen my VR posts are no doubt aware of, I think blaziken is criminally underrated in the current metagame. Swords dance is an excellent set for hyper offence, but outside of that archetype it can be difficult to find opportunities to safely set up with its initially poor speed and frailty. I believe the key to synergize blaziken with standard offensively inclined teams is protect. Here is the set I’ve had most success with.

:ss/blaziken:
Blaziken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Knock Off​

Life orb is essential to maintain Blaziken’s impressive damage output despite forgoing swords dance. Ability and evs are standard (my unique ev spreads won’t work for non sd blaze). A jolly nature is chosen to 1v1 zeraora and dragapult in conjunction with protect. Stabs are mandatory as usual. I experimented with sd+protect, but it struggles to break through its checks and knock off is much more useful for ohkoing pult unboosted, getting strong damage on slowtwins+victini, removing lefties from checks that rely on them like lando and fini, and general utility.

Why use this set?
The two primary reasons to use this set are speed control and lategame cleaning. A free +1 Blaziken is faster than all relevant non scarfed forms of speed control outside of weather. This provides the average offense team an exceptional tool vs some of the mons it struggles with the most, namely dragapult and zeraora. Protect is also useful for scouting out sets like twave ferro and scarf fini(check for hydro pump). This set also shines in lategame cleaning thanks to protect because it lessens the difficulty the sd set has with finding a mon to outspeed and ko lategame to kick off a sweep, since u can stay in on numerous offensive mons and take advantage of their vulnerability to blaziken’s stabs/knock off after a boost.

Cons of this set:
The biggest flaw in this set is the lack of breaking power. Toxapex and Fini come in considerably easier on attacks from this set rather than taking a +2 thunder punch, although fini can be worn down after knocking lefties. The second biggest con, and I am not joking, is the dumbass plays you will certainly make vs Urshifu-RS. “I’ll just scout with protect in case it doesn’t use aqua jet.” I cannot handle myself. I know what shifu’s ability does, I know I have a switchin, but for some reason I protect anyway.

Good teammates:
Anything that lures in pex (tpunch shifu, unexpected trappers like fire spin victini, etc.) Water switchins are useful, ferrothorn in particular can set spikes to wear down blaziken’s checks and check fini and lando. Double fire cores with banded victini I’ve been having considerable success with thanks to bolt strike’s high damage output on shared checks. A solid ground switchin is necessary to use this core (I’ve been quite liking blaziken/victini/corviknight). Fs users also pair well with protect blaziken since they can help it to beat pex, slowbro can check offensive grounds as well. Rotom-w is brilliantly paired with blaziken, bringing a water resist and electric moves, flying resist, ground immunity, pivot move, and blaziken appreciates it’s ability to bring it in on ferrothorn and other mons it forces out easily.

The end
I usually dont run knock on blaze since pult is dying to plus two blitz after rocks and some chip. And there is not other relavant ghost in ou at the moment. You could possibly go tpunch to get coverage on fini and pex. But ig u can still be useful by knocking

I usually dont run knock on blaze since pult is dying to plus two blitz after rocks and some chip. And there is not other relavant ghost in ou at the moment. You could possibly go tpunch to get coverage on fini and pex. But ig u can still be useful by knocking
I've never tried blaziken in this gen but I feel like tpunch is too weak unboosted and with pex's regen the damage is unremarkable (barely 2hko spdef pex after rocks). life orb + helmets + blitz really wears down blaziken trying to catch pex switchins, especially with lando who can intimidate and dissuade the use of tpunch. Knock off is still useful against bulky cores but most importantly because protect blaziken is more effective against faster cores, which means koing pult is huge.
Tpunch is more useful on SD sets or at the very least alongside tapu koko for that x1.3 extra power that makes it a sound 2hko on pex from full.

The usefulness of being able to outspeed and ohko pult lategame cannot be understated, because specs pult is perhaps the best cleaner in ou. I also find knock off useful for making progress vs teams with dnite, since protect blaziken with tpunch is doing nothing in those games, and getting rid of dnite’s boots makes it easier to break through it. I actually find knock off to be better vs fini than tpunch, since unboosted tpunch is really not impressive damage and fini has no recovery outside of lefties and draining kiss(which is rly unreliable) making it easy to wear down after a knock. The obvious sacrifice imo is the rain mu, since u essentially let peli in for free(although knocking off damp rock is helpful). Tpunch is obviously still an option, but knock off offers more consistency on a game to game basis imo.

The usefulness of being able to outspeed and ohko pult lategame cannot be understated, because specs pult is perhaps the best cleaner in ou. I also find knock off useful for making progress vs teams with dnite, since protect blaziken with tpunch is doing nothing in those games, and getting rid of dnite’s boots makes it easier to break through it. I actually find knock off to be better vs fini than tpunch, since unboosted tpunch is really not impressive damage and fini has no recovery outside of lefties and draining kiss(which is rly unreliable) making it easy to wear down after a knock. The obvious sacrifice imo is the rain mu, since u essentially let peli in for free(although knocking off damp rock is helpful). Tpunch is obviously still an option, but knock off offers more consistency on a game to game basis imo.
I get it now. But i am a regular user of tpunch blaze on HO. My blaze is just the standard sd three attack lorb. It was weird to see knock. Glad you clarified :)

Time to make a post I've been wanting to make for a while, it'll be a pretty long one so strap in!

SCREW HEATRAN: an angy post
1632766959331.png

This thing is the most frustrating thing in the entire tier of OU. I'm in agony facing this thing even with good counterplay because it can play it's role so well that counterplay doesn't even really matter. It this thing gets in on anything that isn't your heatran counterplay you're going to take some serious damage whether you like it or not. The amount of uninvested damage this thing can deal is stupid.

This is probably due to the biggest factor, its signature move: Magma Storm.
Magma Storm is a 75% accurate 100 Power fire type trapping move. That alone is ridiculous. That is a move that is as strong as moves like Stone Edge and Earthquake, but also traps in the opponent dealing 12% every turn and preventing switching. This move is the sole reason why heatran is neigh unstoppable at doing it's job. Things that can kill heatran can't switch in except Garchomp. The fact that Splashifu takes almost half health from 1 uninvested, resisted magma storm + trapping damage is bonkers. Full Sp.D Lando takes almost the same amount. All it needs to do is Magma Storm on anything that isnt itself, and watch the opponent take a huge chunk of damage before switching out to prepare for it to do it again.

There are things in the meta that Heatran should not be able to beat on paper, but beats just because of that move and bulk.
:Toxapex: The fact that a bulky water is starting to be forced to run Shed Shell just to stop Heatran, a fire type, from insta-winning is unbelievable. Just Magma Storm, Taunt, then EP it to death. It's a breeze.
:Blissey: same deal, just Magma Storm, Taunt, Toxic, and wear it down. This is a matchup both sides can win due to Seismic Toss, but Heatran being able to even get close to beating Blissey is crazy to me.
:tapu-fini: for the love of god. beating Pex is one thing, but it can also do the exact same thing to Fini. This one is closer to Blissey with it going both ways, but if Heatran can pull the Magma Storm on the switch it makes it a lot easier.
:slowking: Magma Storm on the switch, Taunt to prevent Teleport, Toxic, bye bye. Scald cant do enough to kill in time.
:magnezone: You think I'm trapped in with you? haha no you're trapped here with me

Have mercy on your soul if you're running Offense and Heatran comes in on someone you don't want it to. Someones gonna take big damage whether you like it or not. It's ability to deal massive chip is reliable to a point of frustration. I would personally argue that Heatran is the current best pokemon in the tier easily. Being able to beat Clefable, the metal birds, some bulky waters, and decimating any offense mon that tries to switch in, resisted or not. Even the aforementioned Garchomp doesn't take too much, but with the only reliable recovery being Rest forcing it to sleep, the chip damage stacks up. I think that Heatran is currently in a state of balancing on the edge of uncompetitive, not exactly sure if its bannable, but definitely wouldn't disagree if someone said it was.

Now if we DID ban Heatran, the argument would follow: "but Heatran is the only thing keeping Volcarona in check! If we ban Heatran, Volcarona is gonna become busted" and to that I say:

SCREW HEATRAN PART 2: Screw Volcarona too

1632769406558.png

People have talked about Volcarona being overbearing more than once this generation.
Heavy Duty Boots took away its one true weakness being entry hazards, and let's all be honest. The only reason this thing is still around is because of heatran. Heatran full counters this thing and Volcarona can literally do nothing to stop it, but if Heatran is already leaning on uncompetitive, and it goes, just kick Volcarona to the curb too honestly.

Quiver Dance is the greatest setup move we have access to, giving Volcarona not only more damage, not only more speed, but special bulk to sponge hits better. This thing sets up 1 quiver dance, and suddenly you've gone into panic mode trying to figure out how to stop it from sweeping you. If you don't have Heatran you automatically don't like facing this thing, and for good reason. Great coverage with a signature fire move able to boost its special attack, but also having flamethrower and fire blast, good secondary stab with bug buzz, Psychic and Giga Drain able to deal with everything else but Heatran, Safeguard to stop blissey, Roost for reliable recovery, access to will-o-wisp and toxic, and even access to U-turn which I believe is underrated. Volcarona is one of the greatest setup sweepers in OU, and you have to tiptoe around this thing if you don't run heatran. If Heatran goes I would 100% say that Volcarona should follow.

Now if both Heatran and Volcarona are gone, surely strong grasses like Rillaboom and Kartana will become too much? Not really tbh. The very things that Heatran and Volcarona shut down also stop Kart and Boom pretty well, bulky grasses. both Tangrowth and Amoonguss would be much better off in a meta without those 2, and in turn would become the new main checks to the strong grasses that appear, and honestly I don't think Kartana would change much at all, if anything Blacephalon would become a decent talking point, but I digress.

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 102-120 (29.9 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and trapping damage (up to 47.1% including trap damage.)
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 112-133 (29.3 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage (Up to 46.8% damage)
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 77-91 (21.5 - 25.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery, and trapping damage (Not much, but the trapping damage will bump that to 37% max, and while leftovers avoids the 3HKO, thats a lot of chip)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, I hate facing heatran can you tell?

Time to make a post I've been wanting to make for a while, it'll be a pretty long one so strap in!

SCREW HEATRAN: an angy post
View attachment 374768

This thing is the most frustrating thing in the entire tier of OU. I'm in agony facing this thing even with good counterplay because it can play it's role so well that counterplay doesn't even really matter. It this thing gets in on anything that isn't your heatran counterplay you're going to take some serious damage whether you like it or not. The amount of uninvested damage this thing can deal is stupid.

This is probably due to the biggest factor, its signature move: Magma Storm.
Magma Storm is a 75% accurate 100 Power fire type trapping move. That alone is ridiculous. That is a move that is as strong as moves like Stone Edge and Earthquake, but also traps in the opponent dealing 12% every turn and preventing switching. This move is the sole reason why heatran is neigh unstoppable at doing it's job. Things that can kill heatran can't switch in except Garchomp. The fact that Splashifu takes almost half health from 1 uninvested, resisted magma storm + trapping damage is bonkers. Full Sp.D Lando takes almost the same amount. All it needs to do is Magma Storm on anything that isnt itself, and watch the opponent take a huge chunk of damage before switching out to prepare for it to do it again.

There are things in the meta that Heatran should not be able to beat on paper, but beats just because of that move and bulk.
:Toxapex: The fact that a bulky water is starting to be forced to run Shed Shell just to stop Heatran, a fire type, from insta-winning is unbelievable. Just Magma Storm, Taunt, then EP it to death. It's a breeze.
:Blissey: same deal, just Magma Storm, Taunt, Toxic, and wear it down. This is a matchup both sides can win due to Seismic Toss, but Heatran being able to even get close to beating Blissey is crazy to me.
:tapu-fini: for the love of god. beating Pex is one thing, but it can also do the exact same thing to Fini. This one is closer to Blissey with it going both ways, but if Heatran can pull the Magma Storm on the switch it makes it a lot easier.
:slowking: Magma Storm on the switch, Taunt to prevent Teleport, Toxic, bye bye. Scald cant do enough to kill in time.
:magnezone: You think I'm trapped in with you? haha no you're trapped here with me

Have mercy on your soul if you're running Offense and Heatran comes in on someone you don't want it to. Someones gonna take big damage whether you like it or not. It's ability to deal massive chip is reliable to a point of frustration. I would personally argue that Heatran is the current best pokemon in the tier easily. Being able to beat Clefable, the metal birds, some bulky waters, and decimating any offense mon that tries to switch in, resisted or not. Even the aforementioned Garchomp doesn't take too much, but with the only reliable recovery being Rest forcing it to sleep, the chip damage stacks up. I think that Heatran is currently in a state of balancing on the edge of uncompetitive, not exactly sure if its bannable, but definitely wouldn't disagree if someone said it was.

Now if we DID ban Heatran, the argument would follow: "but Heatran is the only thing keeping Volcarona in check! If we ban Heatran, Volcarona is gonna become busted" and to that I say:

SCREW HEATRAN PART 2: Screw Volcarona too

View attachment 374774

People have talked about Volcarona being overbearing more than once this generation.
Heavy Duty Boots took away its one true weakness being entry hazards, and let's all be honest. The only reason this thing is still around is because of heatran. Heatran full counters this thing and Volcarona can literally do nothing to stop it, but if Heatran is already leaning on uncompetitive, and it goes, just kick Volcarona to the curb too honestly.

Quiver Dance is the greatest setup move we have access to, giving Volcarona not only more damage, not only more speed, but special bulk to sponge hits better. This thing sets up 1 quiver dance, and suddenly you've gone into panic mode trying to figure out how to stop it from sweeping you. If you don't have Heatran you automatically don't like facing this thing, and for good reason. Great coverage with a signature fire move able to boost its special attack, but also having flamethrower and fire blast, good secondary stab with bug buzz, Psychic and Giga Drain able to deal with everything else but Heatran, Safeguard to stop blissey, Roost for reliable recovery, access to will-o-wisp and toxic, and even access to U-turn which I believe is underrated. Volcarona is one of the greatest setup sweepers in OU, and you have to tiptoe around this thing if you don't run heatran. If Heatran goes I would 100% say that Volcarona should follow.

Now if both Heatran and Volcarona are gone, surely strong grasses like Rillaboom and Kartana will become too much? Not really tbh. The very things that Heatran and Volcarona shut down also stop Kart and Boom pretty well, bulky grasses. both Tangrowth and Amoonguss would be much better off in a meta without those 2, and in turn would become the new main checks to the strong grasses that appear, and honestly I don't think Kartana would change much at all, if anything Blacephalon would become a decent talking point, but I digress.

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 102-120 (29.9 - 35.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and trapping damage (up to 47.1% including trap damage.)
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 112-133 (29.3 - 34.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage (Up to 46.8% damage)
0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 77-91 (21.5 - 25.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery, and trapping damage (Not much, but the trapping damage will bump that to 37% max, and while leftovers avoids the 3HKO, thats a lot of chip)

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, I hate facing heatran can you tell?

I do agree that heatran is really difficult to deal with defensively, but with this post you're assessing situations where heatran can be constantly positioned perfectly and never misses magma storm. 75% accuracy with 8 pp makes it really frustrating at times and isn't as reliable as other staple moves like pult's shadow ball or urshifu-r's surging strikes. that's only for the better, though, as it would be the most broken move ever otherwise, but clicking magma storm comes with its own risks as just one miss can make or break the game. being as common as it is, Pokémon have adapted ways to lure it exploiting its ground weaknesses, like nevermelt kyurem and EQ slowtwins.

most importantly, heatran hits the field multiples times and relies on its leftovers for longevity, on top of being relatively slow and being weak to very common types in ground, fighting and water. it can't fit protect onto its set to try to exploit leftovers a bit more, plus it tends to get worn down by repeated hits and hazards since its tasked with so many Pokémon. also many mons it tries to take advantage of or can switch into carry knock off to ruin its life. those offensive teams can't switch into heatran well but they outspeed it and usually deal good damage to it with some type of coverage moves, limiting its opportunity to make progress. heatran's best matchup is notoriously stall/balance for a reason.

That being said, heatran is deservedly S- and to me is easily the second best Pokémon in the tier, behind tier king lando-t. these negatives are fairly overshadowed by its unparalleled tools both offensively and defensively and are somewhat easy to compensate in the builder. however I don't think it's broken at all. In fact I think the ou environment needs heatran - as it always had since prior generations - not just for volcarona, but also for keeping stall/defensive teams under control. heatran can't be burnt, poisoned and has taunt + trapping + resistances to defensive staples like clef, pex and corvi. we all remember pre dlc how the meta was.

I know the last points I made don't really asses Heatran's actual impact but only what its absence would create, but I think the meta naturally adapted well to heatran: grounds don't run SpDef purely because of it, many offense powerhouses don't have trouble breaking through it at all (shifu, chomp, kart) or can overwhelm it throughout the game or can lure them with a supereffective move (ghost spam, tapu lele, kyurem), and - most importantly - Heatran heavily relies on a nove that's only slightly more accurate than focus blast. much like tornadus-t, they are mostly limited by the fact that their main stab is not 100% accurate and that's good. even though it's difficult to play around defensively, it's not overwhelmingly bulky or durable and is statistically quite unreliable as well + offensive structures can overwhelm it before it becomes a problem. heatran is amazing, every team needs to have a plan for it, but for the reasons explained beforehand to me it's absolutely not broken, but actually a good presence for the health of the meta.

also, banning heatran so we can finally ban volcarona is a bad idea. the meta is stable now and we absolutely shouldn't shake it so much for no reason.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to this type of analysis, but throughout this gen I've seen arguments or discussions for bans thrown a bit too hastily as if everyone forgot the times when mons like dracovish, urshifu-s and magearna roamed in ou.

I do agree that heatran is really difficult to deal with defensively, but with this post you're assessing situations where heatran can be constantly positioned perfectly and never misses magma storm. 75% accuracy with 8 pp makes it really frustrating at times and isn't as reliable as other staple moves like pult's shadow ball or urshifu-r's surging strikes. that's only for the better, though, as it would be the most broken move ever otherwise, but clicking magma storm comes with its own risks as just one miss can make or break the game. being as common as it is, Pokémon have adapted ways to lure it exploiting its ground weaknesses, like nevermelt kyurem and EQ slowtwins.
While I do agree that the 75% accuracy and 8pp is the only thing keeping this from being the most terrifying move of all time, bringing up the point of EQ slowtwins circles back to my point of mons having to run odd offsets just to cover heatran like shed shell Pex. I cannot think of anything else in the meta that EQ would cover than Heatran, and the fact that a water type needs to run it to win is bonkers.

most importantly, heatran hits the field multiples times and relies on its leftovers for longevity, on top of being relatively slow and being weak to very common types in ground, fighting and water. it can't fit protect onto its set to try to exploit leftovers a bit more, plus it tends to get worn down by repeated hits and hazards since its tasked with so many Pokémon. also many mons it tries to take advantage of or can switch into carry knock off to ruin its life. those offensive teams can't switch into heatran well but they outspeed it and usually deal good damage to it with some type of coverage moves, limiting its opportunity to make progress. heatran's best matchup is notoriously stall/balance for a reason.
Thank god it's lacking reliable recovery, but most of the time when I use or face Heatran, when it's worn down its already done its job of crippling near half the opponents team.

That being said, heatran is deservedly S- and to me is easily the second best Pokémon in the tier, behind tier king lando-t. these negatives are fairly overshadowed by its unparalleled tools both offensively and defensively and are somewhat easy to compensate in the builder. however I don't think it's broken at all. In fact I think the ou environment needs heatran - as it always had since prior generations - not just for volcarona, but also for keeping stall/defensive teams under control. heatran can't be burnt, poisoned and has taunt + trapping + resistances to defensive staples like clef, pex and corvi. we all remember pre dlc how the meta was.
Praise our lord and savior Lando-T, but imo I believe Heatran is in a slightly better place than Lando. As you mentioned immune to 2 of the 3 common status ailments, taunt and toxic utility, stealth rock utility, trapping capabilities, it can hit pretty well offensively without even needing to invest unlike other defensive mons like Pex. Beautiful defensive typing of Steel with Flash Fire immunity. It's missing pivoting, recovery, and defogging. Lando-T can pivot really well, defog sets are odd but viable, and it also has no recovery, but Lando-T is also missing Taunt utility and the ability to deal bonkers damage and trap the opponent simultaneously.

I know the last points I made don't really asses Heatran's actual impact but only what its absence would create, but I think the meta naturally adapted well to heatran: grounds don't run SpDef purely because of it, many offense powerhouses don't have trouble breaking through it at all (shifu, chomp, kart) or can overwhelm it throughout the game or can lure them with a supereffective move (ghost spam, tapu lele, kyurem), and - most importantly - Heatran heavily relies on a nove that's only slightly more accurate than focus blast. much like tornadus-t, they are mostly limited by the fact that their main stab is not 100% accurate and that's good. even though it's difficult to play around defensively, it's not overwhelmingly bulky or durable and is statistically quite unreliable as well + offensive structures can overwhelm it before it becomes a problem. heatran is amazing, every team needs to have a plan for it, but for the reasons explained beforehand to me it's absolutely not broken, but actually a good presence for the health of the meta.
The argument of the opponent luring it in and hitting it with a supereffective move is based off prediction which can go both ways, and to be fair Heatran relying on that slightly more than focus miss accuracy move is a decent point, but for Lele and some Kyurem's to predict against heatran, they have to actually use focus miss so Magma Storm doesn't seem to bad in comparison.

also, banning heatran so we can finally ban volcarona is a bad idea. the meta is stable now and we absolutely shouldn't shake it so much for no reason.
My point wasn't to say that we should ban Heatran to ban Volcarona, my point was to cover the fact that Volcarona would become overwhelming if Heatran was absent. Volcarona in its current state is a massive threat, but not bannable. If Heatran was gone it would be a different story which is why I brought it up, (the "screw volcarona too" thing was more for comedic sake)

I definitely am not the most knowledgeable person with this kind of stuff either, I tend to mess around with meme teams more than I should, and the high ladder swoll bois may have a different opinion than me due to the sheer amount of experience they have, but I was just venting my frustration with how frustrating Heatran can be to fight as it feels like Im running it on more than half of my serious teams.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
While I do agree that the 75% accuracy and 8pp is the only thing keeping this from being the most terrifying move of all time, bringing up the point of EQ slowtwins circles back to my point of mons having to run odd offsets just to cover heatran like shed shell Pex. I cannot think of anything else in the meta that EQ would cover than Heatran, and the fact that a water type needs to run it to win is bonkers.
And Sand Tomb Scizor, and Whirlpool Tapu Fini, and the occasional Whirlpool Galarian Slowking, and opposing Block Toxapex, and even Fire Spin Hydreigon...

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
And Sand Tomb Scizor, and Whirlpool Tapu Fini, and the occasional Whirlpool Galarian Slowking, and opposing Block Toxapex, and even Fire Spin Hydreigon...
tbf whirlpool on tapu fini is more for trapping, and can be used for a myriad of other mons

block pex just traps your favorite defensive mons
also dont get fire spin hydrei tbh

all of these are offsets, but all are pretty good outside of just beating tran

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
I think they were listing reasons for running the shed shell, not things that lure Heatran
ah never mind

shed shell is still primarily motivated by heatran, but is also ig useful for those- however, without heatran those would not be anywhere near sufficient reason to run it

(and sand tomb scizor still counts for the original point of endrism)

Last edited:
[...]

I definitely am not the most knowledgeable person with this kind of stuff either, I tend to mess around with meme teams more than I should, and the high ladder swoll bois may have a different opinion than me due to the sheer amount of experience they have, but I was just venting my frustration with how frustrating Heatran can be to fight as it feels like Im running it on more than half of my serious teams.
Venting frustration is fair, but any assessment when it comes to ban conversations should be made as impartially as humanly possible. On a more general note, the presence of a pokemon like heatran in the meta cannot be assessed in the same way as something purely offensive like urshifu-s or, to keep it more up to date, dragapult.
lando-t for example, you don't really work to counter it in the builder but you want to have a gameplan about it when you build your team, especially if you're using threats that lando-t checks. lando-t is super common so using pokemon that can either lure it or force it in to grab momentum alongside pokemon that use lando as a opening to break is a very normal and healthy way to deal with it; the same holds true about heatran, although directly swicthing into heatran is far more problematic. pokèmon in the a+/s rank are extremely common because they are good/very good, but high usage also comes with more risks because they are the most targeted pokèmon by lures and more gameplans involve chipping them down. that's how heatran and landot are dealt with most of the time, especially because spdef lando is ironically a very good check to both. its really hard to stop tran and lando from making some sort of progress, that's why they're high in the rankings. on the other hand, the aforementioned urshifu-s could not be dealt with like this because it didnt try to switch into stuff and only cared about clicking a black button as much as possible, which in turn was absolutely insane to do because of the threat of close combat and future sight.

besides comparison, heatran's position in the meta is very delicate and taking any actions would destabilyze the equilibrium we just finally got to enjoy. i do understand the frustration, but at the same time with heatran being very common and still remaining relevant despite everyone trying to check it, having slight issues with it is absolutely normal and you should try to have a broader game plan for it - much like you do for lando - rather than the good old "i need to have a counter for it".
for example, having a corviknight doesnt assure you are dealing with lando because it will uturn out to a partner that can take advantage of it and sometimes there's a magnezone in the back.

I don’t know why people think something should be banned just because it prevents certain defensive mons from sitting on their asses all day in 500 turn matches. Heatran is a just good mon that forces you to check it offensively. In my opinion that is healthy for the metagame.
people really do be out here in OU metagame discussion in the summer of 2021 pretending that if we removed one, let alone 3-5 offensive threats in the tier that fat mons would be remotely unkillable.

if your game goes beyond turn 100, its either matchup based or because you're really bad AND stubborn against stall... which is a playstyle that I frankly don't give much weight in this meta.

also, yes. Realizing when you have lost against stall is something you should get good at, and is an underrated skill among the types to be annoyed at stall existing. If its offense against stall, the game has probably ended pretty damn quickly, but the offense player is being stubborn or the stall player has quickly gotten smashed.

people really do be out here in OU metagame discussion in the summer of 2021 pretending that if we removed one, let alone 3-5 offensive threats in the tier that fat mons would be remotely unkillable.
That is a strawman argument. The Heatran is oppressive complaints revolve around it trapping a handful of extremely passive fat mons as if they are entitled to be blanket counters for everything. Y’all know which mons I’m talking about.

Heatran's strengths are indeed hard to overlook, and it does have no true counters on paper. But can't you say the same thing about all our top offensive breakers? Weavile, Dragapult, Tornadus-T, Urshifu, and much more all of these mons totally lack long-term on-paper counters. But in practice there does tend to be something or other holding them back, be it 4MSS (if you ever run into a Torn-T with NP, Hurricane, Heat Wave, Knock, U-turn and Focus Miss let me know, the resulting slaughter would be hilarious to watch), relying on its own team's defensive spine to last long enough for it to break down the opponent's (go run some calcs with Dragapult's Specs Shadow Ball in the unlikely event you're not familiar with its total lack of severe output) or missing critical speed benchmarks in order to break (Jolly or Adamant Urshifu is quite the choice...).

So Heatran 100% has its flaws (aside from the obvious "Magma Storm is Magma Storm"), which I'll go through here.

1.4MSS
If every Heatran you ran into was the stall-spine-breaking Magma/Toxic/Taunt/EP I'd be extremely surprised. Firstly, Heatran on many teams has to carry Rocks. This is hardly out of necessity-Heatran is probably one of the best Rockers, owing to not being sat on by a certain steel bird. So one of those moves has to go-usually Taunt-unless Heatran's teammates can carry Rocks for it. Secondly, Protect is traditionally one of Heatran's most important tools-racking up extra Lefties and Toxic damage. It's rarely seen in practice nowadays because it's so difficult to find something to drop for it. Thirdly, Heatran's other STAB attacks are useful tools for reliability. Lava Plume wards off most physical attackers from switching into Heatran recklessly, Fire Blast lets it turn up the heat when it needs extra output, and Flash Cannon helps it break through certain mons who aren't impressed by its other options. Lava Plume having a lot more PP than Magma Storm also makes it much more suited to longer battles. Heatran has other useful tools as well, like Roar and Body Press, that it simply cannot run under standard circumstances. So in practice the terrifying scenario where Heatran Magma/Taunt/EP-combos your Pex, Toxics your Ground and just wins is pretty rare, because it simply doesn't have the moveslots.

2. 510EV Syndrome
And on top of the above Heatran suffers even more decision paralysis in choosing its EVs! Heatran firstly sits at a crowded Speed tier no matter what it goes for, and the fact it is one of the top breakers encourages a massive amount of speed-creeping. The choice of Modest or Jolly is important too, as a faster, healthy Heatran can often act as a Magma sponge itself, thanks to Flash Fire. This hints at why Heatran has so much difficulty just running max offense: because of its great defensive typing and bulk, it's often called upon as a defensive stop to some of OU's scariest choiced breakers, including Kyurem, Rillaboom and Tapu Lele. To properly check these mons (as well as eat any stray coverage) Heatran often has to abandon most of its offensive investment, whereupon it isn't breaking nadder. You could argue that putting a SpD Heatran on your team is very different to using Heatran as a breaker, and no-one is arguing SpD Heatran is broken (I hope). However, this still reflects on offensive Heatran, since a team without a defensively invested Heatran needs to build in different primary checks to these mons. What's more, they also have to avoid stacking weaknesses too much with Heatran's very popular three weaknesses. Which leads nicely into:

3.Typing and metagame adaptation
Heatran's typing+Ability combo is of course amazing, but it leaves it with a few notable flaws. So many OU Pokemon Heatran would love to abuse run Water moves like Scald, Fighting moves like Body Press, and of course, EQ. Some Pokemon, knowing they're weak to it, even run moves specifically for Heatran. However, this isn't really a sign Heatran is broken, more a sign of normal metagame adaptation. Given how used Heatran is, if you're not running coverage for it on your Kyurem/Lele or a way to deter it hard switching into Corv/Ferro then on your head be it (sorry Volcarona). Yes, Shed Shell Pex seems extreme, but this set does have other uses, and on a Heatran-weak team it can fulfil a vital role. Besides, Pex ends up Knocked very often and losing its Black Sludge isn't the end of the world, it's not like a Shed Shell Pex suddenly stops checking Urshifu that don't run coverage for it.

4. Longevity
Heatran not having reliable recovery or a spare moveslot to waste on Rest obviously makes it not last too long into a battle. That combined with it being prone to Rocks and especially Spikes makes Heatran easy to wear down, especially for a Pokemon often tasked with combining offensive and defensive duties. Its Speed being meh means it often has to take hits to hit offensive mons. All of which combined with the fact, as pointed out above, that most of OU can hit Heatran for Super Effective damage if a player desires so means a Heatran not played carefully and cautiously is a dead/crippled Heatran. True, it can't be burnt or poisoned, but it can still be Knocked, preventing it ever recovering health again, or paralysed, reducing its already terrible Speed to slug-like levels. True, many offensive Pokemon lack recovery, but those Pokemon are usually faster than their targets and not assigned defensive duties either. It is also extremely prone to revenge killing, especially by a faster Magnezone once chipped. All of this adds up to make it very difficult for Heatran to claim multiple kills in an average game (even assuming Magma Storm hits lol).

Side note: The idea that Heatran is "needed" to keep anything in check is wrong on several levels. Stall is generally close to unviable, as it has been for most of this gen, we handled Volcarona just fine in DLC1 with a smaller pool of mons (turns out it's another case of huge 4MSS), and anything else Heatran might be "needed for" are either broken already with it in the tier or just not broken.

All that said and done, Heatran is a top mon and I'm not suggesting it's not. I'm just saying being a top 3 mon in OU with a slightly unfortunate Speed tier and defensive utility does tend to paint a huge target on your back. Players have been exploiting Heatran's weaknesses since the introduction of Stealth Rock, and this gen is no different. Hope this makes sense!

That is a strawman argument. The Heatran is oppressive complaints revolve around it trapping a handful of extremely passive fat mons as if they are entitled to be blanket counters for everything. Y’all know which mons I’m talking about.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that it was mentioned because the only things that don’t just outright get blasted are the blanket checks, which then also get trapped (and reducing heatran is oppressive arguments to being all about fat mons also feels like strawmanning - plus in my experience, as a non stall player who is had at the game, heatran has no prejudice in terms of who it blows back lol)

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey guys, Tier shifts happened recently!
Code:
Combined usage for OU (1695 stats)
+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Percent |
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   | 45.240% |
| 2    | Dragapult          | 22.582% |
| 3    | Heatran            | 21.018% |
| 4    | Corviknight        | 20.940% |
| 5    | Garchomp           | 18.994% |
| 6    | Ferrothorn         | 17.744% |
| 7    | Weavile            | 16.324% |
| 8    | Tapu Fini          | 15.625% |
| 9    | Clefable           | 15.195% |
| 10   | Tapu Lele          | 15.187% |
| 11   | Urshifu-Rapid-Strike | 15.085% |
| 12   | Kartana            | 14.732% |
| 13   | Melmetal           | 13.708% |
| 14   | Toxapex            | 13.579% |
| 15   | Dragonite          | 12.172% |
| 16   | Tornadus-Therian   | 10.946% |
| 17   | Magnezone          | 10.684% |
| 18   | Tapu Koko          | 10.472% |
| 19   | Rillaboom          | 10.411% |
| 20   | Kyurem             |  9.937% |
| 21   | Volcarona          |  9.499% |
| 22   | Zapdos             |  9.045% |
| 23   | Slowking-Galar     |  8.993% |
| 24   | Bisharp            |  8.410% |
| 25   | Blissey            |  8.403% |
| 26   | Zeraora            |  8.018% |
| 27   | Mew                |  7.497% |
| 28   | Scizor             |  6.892% |
| 29   | Pelipper           |  6.327% |
| 30   | Ninetales-Alola    |  6.222% |
| 31   | Slowbro            |  5.991% |
| 32   | Blacephalon        |  5.720% |
| 33   | Hippowdon          |  5.583% |
| 34   | Tyranitar          |  5.422% |
| 35   | Buzzwole           |  5.080% |
| 36   | Victini            |  4.919% |
| 37   | Barraskewda        |  4.884% |
| 38   | Slowking           |  4.470% |
| 39   | Skarmory           |  4.424% |
| 40   | Cloyster           |  4.336% |
| 41   | Excadrill          |  4.297% |
| 42   | Swampert           |  4.133% |
| 43   | Arctozolt          |  4.107% |
| 44   | Mandibuzz          |  4.099% |
| 45   | Regieleki          |  4.050% |
| 46   | Hawlucha           |  3.811% |
| 47   | Hydreigon          |  3.643% |
| 48   | Volcanion          |  3.446% |
| 49   | Crawdaunt          |  3.249% |
| 50   | Zapdos-Galar       |  3.226% |
| 51   | Nidoking           |  3.171% |
| 52   | Aegislash          |  3.098% |
| 53   | Hatterene          |  2.841% |
| 54   | Mamoswine          |  2.837% |
| 55   | Rotom-Wash         |  2.543% |
| 56   | Torkoal            |  2.519% |
| 57   | Blaziken           |  2.490% |
| 58   | Latios             |  2.383% |
| 59   | Tangrowth          |  2.297% |
| 60   | Seismitoad         |  2.248% |
| 61   | Marowak-Alola      |  2.028% |
| 62   | Porygon2           |  2.012% |
| 63   | Chansey            |  1.993% |
| 64   | Gengar             |  1.902% |
| 65   | Moltres-Galar      |  1.835% |
| 66   | Celesteela         |  1.791% |
| 67   | Kommo-o            |  1.703% |
| 68   | Cresselia          |  1.673% |
| 69   | Gastrodon          |  1.650% |
| 70   | Keldeo             |  1.646% |
| 71   | Venusaur           |  1.592% |
| 72   | Dracozolt          |  1.559% |
| 73   | Azumarill          |  1.420% |
| 74   | Tapu Bulu          |  1.382% |
| 75   | Jirachi            |  1.363% |
| 76   | Reuniclus          |  1.226% |
| 77   | Conkeldurr         |  1.185% |
| 78   | Kingdra            |  1.166% |
| 79   | Quagsire           |  1.121% |
| 80   | Grimmsnarl         |  1.074% |
| 81   | Ditto              |  1.071% |
| 82   | Thundurus-Therian  |  1.063% |
| 83   | Togekiss           |  1.028% |
| 84   | Umbreon            |  1.017% |
| 85   | Latias             |  0.961% |
| 86   | Moltres            |  0.929% |
| 87   | Rotom-Heat         |  0.861% |
| 88   | Terrakion          |  0.854% |
| 89   | Shuckle            |  0.847% |
| 90   | Amoonguss          |  0.836% |
| 91   | Zarude             |  0.800% |
| 92   | Toxtricity         |  0.786% |
| 93   | Suicune            |  0.770% |
| 94   | Shedinja           |  0.763% |
| 95   | Primarina          |  0.753% |
| 96   | Nihilego           |  0.705% |
| 97   | Darmanitan         |  0.696% |
| 98   | Alakazam           |  0.679% |
| 99   | Polteageist        |  0.637% |
| 100  | Salamence          |  0.612% |
| 101  | Vanilluxe          |  0.605% |
| 102  | Diggersby          |  0.604% |
| 103  | Gyarados           |  0.572% |
| 104  | Haxorus            |  0.562% |
| 105  | Slurpuff           |  0.529% |
| 106  | Slowbro-Galar      |  0.517% |
| 107  | Necrozma           |  0.467% |
| 108  | Klefki             |  0.446% |
| 109  | Ribombee           |  0.443% |
| 110  | Xatu               |  0.443% |
| 111  | Snorlax            |  0.442% |
| 112  | Rhyperior          |  0.438% |
| 113  | Lycanroc-Dusk      |  0.416% |
| 114  | Mienshao           |  0.383% |
| 115  | Krookodile         |  0.341% |
| 116  | Charizard          |  0.330% |
| 117  | Araquanid          |  0.330% |
| 118  | Porygon-Z          |  0.309% |
| 119  | Azelf              |  0.305% |
| 120  | Entei              |  0.304% |
| 121  | Starmie            |  0.301% |
| 122  | Mimikyu            |  0.285% |
| 123  | Omastar            |  0.279% |
| 124  | Raichu-Alola       |  0.278% |
| 125  | Obstagoon          |  0.270% |
| 126  | Blastoise          |  0.264% |
| 127  | Avalugg            |  0.263% |
| 128  | Glastrier          |  0.261% |
| 129  | Gigalith           |  0.257% |
| 130  | Thundurus          |  0.249% |
| 131  | Arctovish          |  0.248% |
| 132  | Metagross          |  0.246% |
| 133  | Golurk             |  0.242% |
| 134  | Scolipede          |  0.241% |
| 135  | Stakataka          |  0.236% |
| 136  | Tyrantrum          |  0.229% |
| 137  | Weezing-Galar      |  0.228% |
| 138  | Incineroar         |  0.218% |
| 139  | Tentacruel         |  0.203% |
| 140  | Sandslash-Alola    |  0.202% |
| 141  | Espeon             |  0.201% |
| 142  | Gardevoir          |  0.198% |
| 143  | Druddigon          |  0.197% |
| 144  | Nidoqueen          |  0.195% |
| 145  | Registeel          |  0.191% |
| 146  | Raikou             |  0.190% |
| 147  | Sharpedo           |  0.187% |
| 148  | Milotic            |  0.186% |
| 149  | Politoed           |  0.185% |
| 150  | Salazzle           |  0.185% |
| 151  | Heracross          |  0.183% |
| 152  | Regidrago          |  0.180% |
| 153  | Zygarde-10%        |  0.177% |
| 154  | Golisopod          |  0.177% |
| 155  | Barbaracle         |  0.172% |
| 156  | Drampa             |  0.165% |
| 157  | Froslass           |  0.162% |
| 158  | Heliolisk          |  0.155% |
| 159  | Cinccino           |  0.155% |
| 160  | Zoroark            |  0.154% |
| 161  | Chandelure         |  0.152% |
| 162  | Sylveon            |  0.146% |
| 163  | Galvantula         |  0.146% |
| 164  | Mantine            |  0.145% |
| 165  | Aurorus            |  0.145% |
| 166  | Articuno-Galar     |  0.144% |
| 167  | Bronzong           |  0.135% |
| 168  | Whimsicott         |  0.133% |
| 169  | Lucario            |  0.132% |
| 170  | Ninetales          |  0.129% |
| 171  | Corsola-Galar      |  0.127% |
| 172  | Diancie            |  0.127% |
| 173  | Xurkitree          |  0.126% |
| 174  | Jellicent          |  0.126% |
| 175  | Aerodactyl         |  0.124% |
| 176  | Archeops           |  0.112% |
| 177  | Ninjask            |  0.111% |
| 178  | Pyukumuku          |  0.110% |
| 179  | Flygon             |  0.108% |
| 180  | Sigilyph           |  0.104% |
| 181  | Talonflame         |  0.101% |
| 182  | Mudsdale           |  0.101% |
| 183  | Durant             |  0.100% |
| 184  | Dragalge           |  0.100% |

Rises:

:victini:
UUBL to OU

Victinis been a pretty underrated threat for a while, being able to threaten many common defensive cores while also being annoying to switch into with its coverage and strong STAB. Its been trending on psyspam teams as of late as well sporting a great mixed or special set with Expanding Force, giving it a great secondary STAB and being able to threaten Toxapex a lot more easily. Its been rising in usage for a few months and its of no surprise to see it finally be OU.

:Blacephalon:
UUBL to OU

Another Fire-type to rise from the lands of UUBL, although this was a bit more of a surprise to me. Blacephalon has been sporting an incredibly strong Choice Specs set lately being able to break through teams with ease, with its very strong and spammable STABs and Trick which enables it to cripple its checks if needed. It fits quite well on Bulky Offenses quite often Ghost-spam teams (oh btw happy spooktober) and does very well on them. This Clown definitely deserves its spot in the tier.

:buzzwole:
UU to OU

Im sorry UU, but we've stolen your buff boi. Buzzwoles been trending for a while in OU and it is definitely not a surprise to see it rise with the latest tier shifts, its ability to keep up a stellar offensive presence while also checking large threats like Weavile and Kartana carves it a very good niche in the tier. Happy to see it rise.

:Pelipper: and :barraskewda:
UU to OU
RU to OU

Both of these were definitely more of a surprise since I hadnt seen these two rise so soon, especially since rain had become a lot more scarce recently, but nonetheless I can definitely see why they did with Rain being a rather consistent weather as of late with hard to check abusers. Glad to have them back, although I predict theyll fall off similar to last time.

:ninetales-alola:
RU to OU

Hail and Aurora Veil have pushed this fox to OU. It is one of the main reasons why Hail is any good in OU and it definitely does deserve its spot in OU and I think its here to stay.

Drops:

:hawlucha:
OU to UUBL

Hawlucha has been falling off as of recently with less HO, and I can definitely see why it has. Its still definitely a very potent sweeper and wincon, but as the tier shifts towards Bulky Offenses and strays from HO, Hawlucha falling off was inevitable

:excadrill:
OU to UU

Sand as a weather has been falling off for sometime, with lackluster abusers and being generally awkward to build, its no surprise that Sands most popular abuser has dropped to UU.

:hydreigon:
OU to UU

Although Hydreigon is still a great pokemon with good defensive utility and ability to break, I can see why it has dropped as its usage has been dwindling for a while with it being awkward to fit onto teams, especially when it can also be easily forced out by faster pokemon like Kartana, Tapu Koko and Weavile.

:mandibuzz:
OU to UU

Mandibuzz has been struggling to keep up with the metagame for a while now, being constantly overwhelmed even by things it supposedly checks like Dragapult, Kartana and Rillaboom. Rising usage of Tapu Koko, Weavile, Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele doesnt exactly help it either. It falling off to UU was inevitable and im glad it finally happened, although itll continue to be my favourite bird.

:skarmory:
OU to UU

The metagame hasnt been very nice to it recently, with a muriad of special attackers and competition in Corviknight and Ferrothorn, Skarmory has lost its place in the metagame, although it still is pretty good and has its uses, its general lack of special bulk and lack of momentum has lead to people prefering other mons.

:slowking:
OU to UU

Metagame trends have been against this mon since the start of WCoP and that has continued, unfortunately Slowkings place in the metagame has been pretty sad as of late being outclassed by a muriad of other better special Pokemon, even failing to properly check what few Pokemon it used to. The metagames ability to abuse FuturePort has also been unkind to this Pokemon, dont think anyone was surprised to see it fall.

:swampert:
OU to UU

Ah! Finally. This Pokemon has been pretty dissapointing for a couple tiershifts, always surviving the cut off somehow to everyones surprise, thankfully the people seem to have realised that Swampert is as good as a sandwich with jelly and cheese ( Its pretty meh ). Swampert still has a niche in the metagame ofcourse but is still outclassed and its lack of recovery and versatility hurts.

Usage rises:

:weavile:
#23 to #7

Weavile has only gotten better in the past few months, and has started to define the current metagame becoming one of the best breakers in the game. It can win very easily after some chip on its checks like Buzzwole, Toxapex or Corviknight with its high base power STABs in Knock Off and Triple Axel. Its Ghost-resist is very valuable for pivoting into Dragapult, along with its speed tier makes it very easy to fit onto teams effectively.

:melmetal:
#24 to #13

Melmetal is great in the current metagame and I can definitely see why it rose in usage, its ability to cripple its checks and bypass them with its Twave Pads set is unmatched and its Assault Vest set is also great making use of its great defensive typing to check the likes of Tapu Lele and Dragapult. Its great typing and defensive utility along with the great amount of offensive pressure it exerts makes it clear why it rose. (also it helps vs hail)

:tornadus-therian:
#25 to #16
Oh its the real bird jesus (it just is dont ask questions), its ability to pivot like no other, the speed tier, and great defensive utility make it clear why its risen in viability and usage recently. Its Assault Vest set is great as well, enabling it to pivot into most special attackers and force them out with a Knock Off.

Drops:

:Clefable:
#4 to #9

Clefable has recently been outclassed by other fairy types and its wide range of utility is less in need since a lot more mons can fill those spots, usually better than Clefable could. Its lackluster bulk also shows when trying to check the various Pokemon of the tier.

:volcarona:
#11 to #21

Volcaronas inconsistency in games and Heatrans rise in usage and viability might be reasons as to why it eventually dropped.

:rillaboom:
#7 to #19
Rillaboom has fallen out of favour with Flying-types like Corviknight and Tornadus-therian which can be found on every team courtesy of another offensive Grass-type named Kartana, leaving it often helpless in games unable to make much progress in faces of these checks. It can still shine on Offenses with Swords Dance sets.

Here are the usual questions:

1. What were the most notable increases and decreases, and why do you think these mons are used more/less now?
2. What increases or decreases surprised you the most?
3. Among the mons with increased usage, what sets have you been using and enjoying?
4. Among the mons with decreased usage, what are your favorite sets for those mons?
5. What are your favorite mons to use in the current metagame?
6. What mons do you predict will continue to see increased usage?
7. What mons are you expecting to see a declining usage from?
8. What are some of your favorite cores to use?
9. How do you feel about the metagame?
10. Have you used any of the Pokemon mentioned above? If so, how did they perform for you?
11. Are there any prominent replays from OLT or SCL that you enjoyed and want to share? Any highlights worth discussing?
12: I hope you have a great rest of your day!

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
1. What were the most notable increases and decreases, and why do you think these mons are used more/less now?

:weavile: I like how it offensively pressures teams with its Dark / Ice Stabs, pretty consistent speed control as well and priority is always appreciated.
:melmetal: So many great sets, ranging from protective Pads to Choice Band to Assault Vest, you name them. they're all pretty good and offer different roles for a various amount of teams.
:tapu lele: great breaker with Choice Specs, however Choice Scarf has picked up alot, with being a valuable revengekiller and tool to pressure faster threats in an offensive way.
:victini: Underrated yes, Great yes, Great check to Pokemon like Tapu lele yes. This Pokemon is terrifying to face with its Fire / Electric / Ice, and Bug coverage. Choice Band can work as well under sun with V-create hitting like a truck.
:buzzwole: Great answer to many offensive Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Melmetal, Rillaboom, and Weavile. Is really great on defensive builds to cover the aforementioned Pokemon.

Conclusion:
These Pokemon are in general really good, as they provide either offensive or defensive power with being able to threaten many bulkier builds or checking common Pokemon. Most notably, Tapu Leles Choice Scarf Set is totally great right now with having the capability to revengekill a large amount of threats such as Dragapult, Weavile, and Arctozolt under hail, if Tapu Lele is Timid natured, which in itself is very valuable at the moment because hail is the best weather right now and adapting to it and other threats in a natural way is pretty appreciated by most teams.

3. Among the mons with increased usage, what sets have you been using and enjoying?
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Modest Nature / Timid Nature
- Psyshock

- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

- Psychic

This is my favorite Pokemon to use at the moment, the reasons I have stated above. I just like the offensive pressure it gives for teams and how well it performs at the moment. It can even force progress with a hard hitting Future Sight. Thunderbolt can also be used to catch Corviknight and Toxapex alike for a great midground.

:rotom-heat: & :melmetal: I like this core a lot, as it is able to cover the dangerous weather in hail at the moment with Protective Pads Melmetal and Utility Rotom-Heat. Rotom-Heat can also pressure Melmetals checks in Buzzwole and Corviknight and further pressures Toxapex with chipping it down due to Volt Switch. I just simply like this underrated core and I think it has potential. You guys should give it a try, as Rotom-Heat offers also a great midground to Ground-types such a Stone Edge-less Landorus-T.

The metagame is in a good place at the moment. Nothing stands out to be unhealthy or broken. Sure some threats need to be covered but with a natural way of having specially defensive Landorus-T, Assault Vest Tornadus-T, Tapu Fini, and Buzzwole on a plethora of teams, most dangerous Pokemon are covered in a natural fashion, as the aforementioned Pokemon alongside others such as Galarian Slowking, the now rising Slowbro, and Pokemon such as Ferrothorn being on many teams anyway. I think the metagame is pretty healthy at the moment and nothing stands out and that there is always a way to cover up threats without having to go out of the way of a typical building style.

10. Have you used any of the Pokemon mentioned above? If so, how did they perform for you?

I like the viability of such Pokemon. They performed pretty well for me in ladder usage and all of those Pokemon performed well for me. Especially team structures such as hail are great at the moment, even tho the metagame slowly but surely adapts to it. But in overall everything worked out pretty well for me and I also like to change the building style with other underrated Pokemon such as Terrakion, Rhyperior, and Rising Voltage Magnezone on teams with Tapu Koko to overwhelm shared checks rather easily. I like :terrakion: the most and I think a set like this can work out pretty reliable and well:

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified

Jolly Nature
- Close Combat

- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

- Iron Head / Megahorn

Close Combat and Stone Edge are great STAB options with overwhelming Pokemon such as Corviknight and Landorus-T with ease especially when its attacks are Choice Band-boosted. Earthquake hits Pokemon like Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and Heatran for a great midground, as on Ferrothorn Earthquake is neutral damage. Lastly, the 4th slot can be used for whatever needs, Iron Head can hit Fairy-types like Clefable pretty hard, but Megahorn can also be used if you aim to lure in albeit rare but still used Tangrowth. Megahorn can also deal a lot of damage to Slowbro, which is pretty great currently.

Thanks to you as well, Abhi and also to any other person, which reads that <3

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

4. Among the mons with decreased usage, what are your favorite sets for those mons?
11. Are there any prominent replays from OLT or SCL that you enjoyed and want to share? Any highlights worth discussing?

:Weavile: going to seventh for me. I'm one of the few who have the unpopular opinion that Weavile is too volatile, with triple axel miss and reliance on ice shard to deal with Koko and Zeraora

:Volcarona: dropping. Ahh yes. Just when it finally gained the item it has been longing for since forever, it lost the one tool it needed to deal with lava frog. *evil starscream laugh

:Tapu Lele: I never once imagined I would see a psychic type of all things in the top ten

Only :Pelipper: and :Barraskewda:. Seriously. These two need to decide which tier they wanna live in ffs

3-4.

:choice specs: :Blacephalon:

:assault vest: :Tornadus-Therian:

:yache berry:

As always, it is
. What I love about this mon is battling some guys who are like 'oh I have Weavile. That Garchomp is fucked' and their hopes and dreams end up being ripped away by yache berry. It's so satisfying

:Dragapult: is still the second. I mainly use this because it has a creepy look. I like creepy stuff. Pult just doing Pult stuff is straightforward and I like it when things aren't complicated

:Tyranitar: is my third favorite mon. I only started using it recently but seeing a Landorus try to intimidate you and be immediately put on its last legs or immediately dying is the single most satisfying thing in singles competitive ever

:Tapu Lele: is the fourth mon I like. It's the same story with Dragapult. It isn't complicated so I don't have to use all my brain power in using it

:Tapu Koko: something I never expected to happen is Koko growing on me. It's fast, has u turn, reliable recovery and the irritating fairy typing. I've been using this almost as much as I used Dragapult lately

:Tapu Fini: is the last one. The reason is simple. I hate Ferrothorn so being able to trap and delete it from the game is fun. I hate durians in real life and I hate them even in pokemon

:Tornadus-Therian: and maybe :Blacephalon:

As surprising as it may seem, it is
. People aren't willing to exploit its stealth rock resistance and just stick with lefties. Well, the fuck are they expecting, of course its gonna have a rough time

The only other one is :Weavile: and that is because this thing is completely and utterly helpless against scarf Lele. The only thing it can do is hope Lele is stupid enough to click a psychic move instead of moonblast but really, if scarf Lele becomes very popular, I can't imagine this thing won't drop

I guess :Dragapult: would also be in the same position as Weavile since they're both that helpless against scarf Lele. I mean, they're no Garchomp that can afford to use roseli berry, that's for sure

Atm, it is :choice scarf: :tapu lele: + :lum berry: / :yache berry:
. The thing about this core is that whenever I use Garchomp, I have to rely on it to sweep but when paired with Lele, it's such a huge load off its back. Instead of trying to sweep, both of them can instead try to create opportunity for the other to clean up which is a lot of pressure taken off from both of them. Lele's ability to destroy Weavile is also a huge plus since now, I don't have to fear some stupid toxics from a Heatran that isn't afraid to die

:Pelipper: + :Volcanion: yeah, fuck Ferrothorn. That's literally the only reason why I love this core. Seeing Ferrothorn die to two steam eruptions, aka hydro scalds, is one of the most satisfying things ever. It's almost as satisfying as using lash out against Landorus

:Corviknight: + :Landorus-Therian: just the pretty standard defensive / utility core. I usually use these two a lot on my teams because they're just that reliable, as long as I have an answer for Kyurem that is

:Tapu Bulu: + :Milotic: + :Heatran: is another one. I always liked Milotic in this gen since it can stuff over half of the metagame and with Bulu support, Urshifu isn't that big of a deal thanks to Bulu and the grassy terrain

It's pretty good, surprisingly. The only issues I can find are boots and magnet pull, which I think are stupid. Everything else seems pretty fine. If anything, I'm starting to appreciate the lower power level. Unlike playing gen seven, I don't have to wrack my brain over every single turn and worry about which one I'm gonna let go to that Medicham or z move Garchomp. Gen seven still my favorite but the lack of intensity of gen eight makes it much more relaxing to play. I've already given up try harding to reach the high ladder because of some stupid rng bs so not having think that hard is fine for me

I've only used :Blacephalon:, :Hydreigon:, and the hail duo of :Arctozolt: and :ninetales-alola:. They're pretty good. Blacephalon is impossible to switch into, the hail duo is greatly threatening, and Hydreigon, while not as good as the banned Urshifu, is still pretty good. I've been using a specs set on it and since Clefable is dropping, it's doing fairly well. The only problem is Fini but that really isn't too much of a problem anyway

Nah. I'm not a fan of tournaments in literally every game I play including non pokemon ones. I just watch whatever trends and nothing more, most of the time

Thanks. You too

I don't have a whole lot to say about the metagame, since I've only been playing a few games here and there, but something I find interesting is most teams not relying on a dedicated ghost resist to check premier special attacker Dragapult (:dragapult:). Instead, they rely on a combination of:

• Bulky steels like Heatran (:heatran:) and Ferrothorn (:ferrothorn:), and occasionally even specially defensive Landorus-T (:landorus-therian:)
  • Regenerators like Tornadus-T (:tornadus-therian:), and Toxapex (:toxapex:). Also worth mentioning that AV Tornadus-T is being seen a little bit more
  • Revenge killers in the form of Weavile (:weavile:) with priority in Ice Shard, Choice Scarf Tapu Lele (:tapu-lele:), Choice Scarf Tapu Fini (:tapu-fini:)
This is pretty evident in terms of usage stats as well, with Mandibuzz dropping to UU, and Blissey taking spot 23 in usage, while all the above mentioned forms of counterplay are showing some really high numbers.
I'm sure many have noticed this trend, but I feel like it was still worth a mention - considering that Dragapult is at S- in the VRs, and we still don't find a need for a "resist/immunity" to check it.

Hey guys, Tier shifts happened recently!
Code:
Combined usage for OU (1695 stats)
| Rank | Pokemon            | Percent |
| 1    | Landorus-Therian   | 45.240% |
| 2    | Dragapult          | 22.582% |
| 3    | Heatran            | 21.018% |
| 4    | Corviknight        | 20.940% |
| 5    | Garchomp           | 18.994% |
| 6    | Ferrothorn         | 17.744% |
| 7    | Weavile            | 16.324% |
| 8    | Tapu Fini          | 15.625% |
| 9    | Clefable           | 15.195% |
| 10   | Tapu Lele          | 15.187% |
| 11   | Urshifu-Rapid-Strike | 15.085% |
| 12   | Kartana            | 14.732% |
| 13   | Melmetal           | 13.708% |
| 14   | Toxapex            | 13.579% |
| 15   | Dragonite          | 12.172% |
| 16   | Tornadus-Therian   | 10.946% |
| 17   | Magnezone          | 10.684% |
| 18   | Tapu Koko          | 10.472% |
| 19   | Rillaboom          | 10.411% |
| 20   | Kyurem             |  9.937% |
| 21   | Volcarona          |  9.499% |
| 22   | Zapdos             |  9.045% |
| 23   | Slowking-Galar     |  8.993% |
| 24   | Bisharp            |  8.410% |
| 25   | Blissey            |  8.403% |
| 26   | Zeraora            |  8.018% |
| 27   | Mew                |  7.497% |
| 28   | Scizor             |  6.892% |
| 29   | Pelipper           |  6.327% |
| 30   | Ninetales-Alola    |  6.222% |
| 31   | Slowbro            |  5.991% |
| 32   | Blacephalon        |  5.720% |
| 33   | Hippowdon          |  5.583% |
| 34   | Tyranitar          |  5.422% |
| 35   | Buzzwole           |  5.080% |
| 36   | Victini            |  4.919% |
| 37   | Barraskewda        |  4.884% |
| 38   | Slowking           |  4.470% |
| 39   | Skarmory           |  4.424% |
| 40   | Cloyster           |  4.336% |
| 41   | Excadrill          |  4.297% |
| 42   | Swampert           |  4.133% |
| 43   | Arctozolt          |  4.107% |
| 44   | Mandibuzz          |  4.099% |
| 45   | Regieleki          |  4.050% |
| 46   | Hawlucha           |  3.811% |
| 47   | Hydreigon          |  3.643% |
| 48   | Volcanion          |  3.446% |
| 49   | Crawdaunt          |  3.249% |
| 50   | Zapdos-Galar       |  3.226% |
| 51   | Nidoking           |  3.171% |
| 52   | Aegislash          |  3.098% |
| 53   | Hatterene          |  2.841% |
| 54   | Mamoswine          |  2.837% |
| 55   | Rotom-Wash         |  2.543% |
| 56   | Torkoal            |  2.519% |
| 57   | Blaziken           |  2.490% |
| 58   | Latios             |  2.383% |
| 59   | Tangrowth          |  2.297% |
| 60   | Seismitoad         |  2.248% |
| 61   | Marowak-Alola      |  2.028% |
| 62   | Porygon2           |  2.012% |
| 63   | Chansey            |  1.993% |
| 64   | Gengar             |  1.902% |
| 65   | Moltres-Galar      |  1.835% |
| 66   | Celesteela         |  1.791% |
| 67   | Kommo-o            |  1.703% |
| 68   | Cresselia          |  1.673% |
| 69   | Gastrodon          |  1.650% |
| 70   | Keldeo             |  1.646% |
| 71   | Venusaur           |  1.592% |
| 72   | Dracozolt          |  1.559% |
| 73   | Azumarill          |  1.420% |
| 74   | Tapu Bulu          |  1.382% |
| 75   | Jirachi            |  1.363% |
| 76   | Reuniclus          |  1.226% |
| 77   | Conkeldurr         |  1.185% |
| 78   | Kingdra            |  1.166% |
| 79   | Quagsire           |  1.121% |
| 80   | Grimmsnarl         |  1.074% |
| 81   | Ditto              |  1.071% |
| 82   | Thundurus-Therian  |  1.063% |
| 83   | Togekiss           |  1.028% |
| 84   | Umbreon            |  1.017% |
| 85   | Latias             |  0.961% |
| 86   | Moltres            |  0.929% |
| 87   | Rotom-Heat         |  0.861% |
| 88   | Terrakion          |  0.854% |
| 89   | Shuckle            |  0.847% |
| 90   | Amoonguss          |  0.836% |
| 91   | Zarude             |  0.800% |
| 92   | Toxtricity         |  0.786% |
| 93   | Suicune            |  0.770% |
| 94   | Shedinja           |  0.763% |
| 95   | Primarina          |  0.753% |
| 96   | Nihilego           |  0.705% |
| 97   | Darmanitan         |  0.696% |
| 98   | Alakazam           |  0.679% |
| 99   | Polteageist        |  0.637% |
| 100  | Salamence          |  0.612% |
| 101  | Vanilluxe          |  0.605% |
| 102  | Diggersby          |  0.604% |
| 103  | Gyarados           |  0.572% |
| 104  | Haxorus            |  0.562% |
| 105  | Slurpuff           |  0.529% |
| 106  | Slowbro-Galar      |  0.517% |
| 107  | Necrozma           |  0.467% |
| 108  | Klefki             |  0.446% |
| 109  | Ribombee           |  0.443% |
| 110  | Xatu               |  0.443% |
| 111  | Snorlax            |  0.442% |
| 112  | Rhyperior          |  0.438% |
| 113  | Lycanroc-Dusk      |  0.416% |
| 114  | Mienshao           |  0.383% |
| 115  | Krookodile         |  0.341% |
| 116  | Charizard          |  0.330% |
| 117  | Araquanid          |  0.330% |
| 118  | Porygon-Z          |  0.309% |
| 119  | Azelf              |  0.305% |
| 120  | Entei              |  0.304% |
| 121  | Starmie            |  0.301% |
| 122  | Mimikyu            |  0.285% |
| 123  | Omastar            |  0.279% |
| 124  | Raichu-Alola       |  0.278% |
| 125  | Obstagoon          |  0.270% |
| 126  | Blastoise          |  0.264% |
| 127  | Avalugg            |  0.263% |
| 128  | Glastrier          |  0.261% |
| 129  | Gigalith           |  0.257% |
| 130  | Thundurus          |  0.249% |
| 131  | Arctovish          |  0.248% |
| 132  | Metagross          |  0.246% |
| 133  | Golurk             |  0.242% |
| 134  | Scolipede          |  0.241% |
| 135  | Stakataka          |  0.236% |
| 136  | Tyrantrum          |  0.229% |
| 137  | Weezing-Galar      |  0.228% |
| 138  | Incineroar         |  0.218% |
| 139  | Tentacruel         |  0.203% |
| 140  | Sandslash-Alola    |  0.202% |
| 141  | Espeon             |  0.201% |
| 142  | Gardevoir          |  0.198% |
| 143  | Druddigon          |  0.197% |
| 144  | Nidoqueen          |  0.195% |
| 145  | Registeel          |  0.191% |
| 146  | Raikou             |  0.190% |
| 147  | Sharpedo           |  0.187% |
| 148  | Milotic            |  0.186% |
| 149  | Politoed           |  0.185% |
| 150  | Salazzle           |  0.185% |
| 151  | Heracross          |  0.183% |
| 152  | Regidrago          |  0.180% |
| 153  | Zygarde-10%        |  0.177% |
| 154  | Golisopod          |  0.177% |
| 155  | Barbaracle         |  0.172% |
| 156  | Drampa             |  0.165% |
| 157  | Froslass           |  0.162% |
| 158  | Heliolisk          |  0.155% |
| 159  | Cinccino           |  0.155% |
| 160  | Zoroark            |  0.154% |
| 161  | Chandelure         |  0.152% |
| 162  | Sylveon            |  0.146% |
| 163  | Galvantula         |  0.146% |
| 164  | Mantine            |  0.145% |
| 165  | Aurorus            |  0.145% |
| 166  | Articuno-Galar     |  0.144% |
| 167  | Bronzong           |  0.135% |
| 168  | Whimsicott         |  0.133% |
| 169  | Lucario            |  0.132% |
| 170  | Ninetales          |  0.129% |
| 171  | Corsola-Galar      |  0.127% |
| 172  | Diancie            |  0.127% |
| 173  | Xurkitree          |  0.126% |
| 174  | Jellicent          |  0.126% |
| 175  | Aerodactyl         |  0.124% |
| 176  | Archeops           |  0.112% |
| 177  | Ninjask            |  0.111% |
| 178  | Pyukumuku          |  0.110% |
| 179  | Flygon             |  0.108% |
| 180  | Sigilyph           |  0.104% |
| 181  | Talonflame         |  0.101% |
| 182  | Mudsdale           |  0.101% |
| 183  | Durant             |  0.100% |
| 184  | Dragalge           |  0.100% |

Rises:

:victini:
UUBL to OU

Victinis been a pretty underrated threat for a while, being able to threaten many common defensive cores while also being annoying to switch into with its coverage and strong STAB. Its been trending on psyspam teams as of late as well sporting a great mixed or special set with Expanding Force, giving it a great secondary STAB and being able to threaten Toxapex a lot more easily. Its been rising in usage for a few months and its of no surprise to see it finally be OU.

:Blacephalon:
UUBL to OU

Another Fire-type to rise from the lands of UUBL, although this was a bit more of a surprise to me. Blacephalon has been sporting an incredibly strong Choice Specs set lately being able to break through teams with ease, with its very strong and spammable STABs and Trick which enables it to cripple its checks if needed. It fits quite well on Bulky Offenses quite often Ghost-spam teams (oh btw happy spooktober) and does very well on them. This Clown definitely deserves its spot in the tier.

:buzzwole:
UU to OU

Im sorry UU, but we've stolen your buff boi. Buzzwoles been trending for a while in OU and it is definitely not a surprise to see it rise with the latest tier shifts, its ability to keep up a stellar offensive presence while also checking large threats like Weavile and Kartana carves it a very good niche in the tier. Happy to see it rise.

:Pelipper: and :barraskewda:
UU to OU
RU to OU

Both of these were definitely more of a surprise since I hadnt seen these two rise so soon, especially since rain had become a lot more scarce recently, but nonetheless I can definitely see why they did with Rain being a rather consistent weather as of late with hard to check abusers. Glad to have them back, although I predict theyll fall off similar to last time.

:ninetales-alola:
RU to OU

Hail and Aurora Veil have pushed this fox to OU. It is one of the main reasons why Hail is any good in OU and it definitely does deserve its spot in OU and I think its here to stay.

Drops:

:hawlucha:
OU to UUBL

Hawlucha has been falling off as of recently with less HO, and I can definitely see why it has. Its still definitely a very potent sweeper and wincon, but as the tier shifts towards Bulky Offenses and strays from HO, Hawlucha falling off was inevitable

:excadrill:
OU to UU

Sand as a weather has been falling off for sometime, with lackluster abusers and being generally awkward to build, its no surprise that Sands most popular abuser has dropped to UU.

:hydreigon:
OU to UU

Although Hydreigon is still a great pokemon with good defensive utility and ability to break, I can see why it has dropped as its usage has been dwindling for a while with it being awkward to fit onto teams, especially when it can also be easily forced out by faster pokemon like Kartana, Tapu Koko and Weavile.

:mandibuzz:
OU to UU

Mandibuzz has been struggling to keep up with the metagame for a while now, being constantly overwhelmed even by things it supposedly checks like Dragapult, Kartana and Rillaboom. Rising usage of Tapu Koko, Weavile, Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele doesnt exactly help it either. It falling off to UU was inevitable and im glad it finally happened, although itll continue to be my favourite bird.

:skarmory:
OU to UU

The metagame hasnt been very nice to it recently, with a muriad of special attackers and competition in Corviknight and Ferrothorn, Skarmory has lost its place in the metagame, although it still is pretty good and has its uses, its general lack of special bulk and lack of momentum has lead to people prefering other mons.

:slowking:
OU to UU

Metagame trends have been against this mon since the start of WCoP and that has continued, unfortunately Slowkings place in the metagame has been pretty sad as of late being outclassed by a muriad of other better special Pokemon, even failing to properly check what few Pokemon it used to. The metagames ability to abuse FuturePort has also been unkind to this Pokemon, dont think anyone was surprised to see it fall.

:swampert:
OU to UU

Ah! Finally. This Pokemon has been pretty dissapointing for a couple tiershifts, always surviving the cut off somehow to everyones surprise, thankfully the people seem to have realised that Swampert is as good as a sandwich with jelly and cheese ( Its pretty meh ). Swampert still has a niche in the metagame ofcourse but is still outclassed and its lack of recovery and versatility hurts.

Usage rises:

:weavile:
#23 to #7

Weavile has only gotten better in the past few months, and has started to define the current metagame becoming one of the best breakers in the game. It can win very easily after some chip on its checks like Buzzwole, Toxapex or Corviknight with its high base power STABs in Knock Off and Triple Axel. Its Ghost-resist is very valuable for pivoting into Dragapult, along with its speed tier makes it very easy to fit onto teams effectively.

:melmetal:
#24 to #13

Melmetal is great in the current metagame and I can definitely see why it rose in usage, its ability to cripple its checks and bypass them with its Twave Pads set is unmatched and its Assault Vest set is also great making use of its great defensive typing to check the likes of Tapu Lele and Dragapult. Its great typing and defensive utility along with the great amount of offensive pressure it exerts makes it clear why it rose. (also it helps vs hail)

:tornadus-therian:
#25 to #16
Oh its the real bird jesus (it just is dont ask questions), its ability to pivot like no other, the speed tier, and great defensive utility make it clear why its risen in viability and usage recently. Its Assault Vest set is great as well, enabling it to pivot into most special attackers and force them out with a Knock Off.

Drops:

:Clefable:
#4 to #9

Clefable has recently been outclassed by other fairy types and its wide range of utility is less in need since a lot more mons can fill those spots, usually better than Clefable could. Its lackluster bulk also shows when trying to check the various Pokemon of the tier.

:volcarona:
#11 to #21

Volcaronas inconsistency in games and Heatrans rise in usage and viability might be reasons as to why it eventually dropped.

:rillaboom:
#7 to #19
Rillaboom has fallen out of favour with Flying-types like Corviknight and Tornadus-therian which can be found on every team courtesy of another offensive Grass-type named Kartana, leaving it often helpless in games unable to make much progress in faces of these checks. It can still shine on Offenses with Swords Dance sets.

2. I am surprised the monke was almost out of top 20. I knew it was falling but not that bad.
3. SD Adamnnt LO :weavile:

:melmetal: CB
4. Throat spray volc ik i am weird.
7. Dragapult
8. Rilla, Zone, Lele

I don't have a whole lot to say about the metagame, since I've only been playing a few games here and there, but something I find interesting is most teams not relying on a dedicated ghost resist to check premier special attacker Dragapult (:dragapult:). Instead, they rely on a combination of:

• Bulky steels like Heatran (:heatran:) and Ferrothorn (:ferrothorn:), and occasionally even specially defensive Landorus-T (:landorus-therian:)
  • Regenerators like Tornadus-T (:tornadus-therian:), and Toxapex (:toxapex:). Also worth mentioning that AV Tornadus-T is being seen a little bit more
  • Revenge killers in the form of Weavile (:weavile:) with priority in Ice Shard, Choice Scarf Tapu Lele (:tapu-lele:), Choice Scarf Tapu Fini (:tapu-fini:)
This is pretty evident in terms of usage stats as well, with Mandibuzz dropping to UU, and Blissey taking spot 23 in usage, while all the above mentioned forms of counterplay are showing some really high numbers.
I'm sure many have noticed this trend, but I feel like it was still worth a mention - considering that Dragapult is at S- in the VRs, and we still don't find a need for a "resist/immunity" to check it.
This seems mostly a symptom of ghost just being kind of OP as an attacking type ever since trollfreak decided to remove Steel's resistance to it. Sometimes you have to work with what you have, or in this case, don't have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)