Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion v3 (Usage in post #251)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I also see that Lord Finchy here misinterpreted what I was trying to say all along. It was a simple back and forth we had and I left the convo as he was repeating the same point over and over again. Maybe make the community more open and welcoming and less about a Council would make things better here. Don't get me wrong, I love Smogon. It has helped me become so much better and for the most part, people here are pretty cool. But that doesn't mean that it's not immune to criticism. I apologize for how abrasive my point came off, but I still stand by my points.
1, 2, and 3. I did not misconstrue anything. I am glad you love Smogon and I am glad you appreciate the positives. Yes, there are negatives, but you do not seem to understand them and this is not the place to discuss them as this is just a place for discussion of the current metagame. Let's end this spiral now.

Outside opinion snipe. I do think the metal/kyu-b bans were common sense because they were clearly above the power lvl of everything else. That being said, I think a lot of emphasis is put on tournament stuff and that skews the perception of balance. Tour-play is much more centralized than playing on the latter. Tiering based on tournament play will make you focus on that which has no specific checks; where as tiering based on the ladder will make you focus on what has low risk/reward.

TLDR: I think we should look at things that are too overcentralizing even if they have counters.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Anyways, I've been playing Necrozma again. I felt like the old AutoPolicy set was never very good, and a lot of the rocks ones weren't really ever worth, so instead I tested this set:

Necrozma @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave

PsyFire coverage is solid in the current metagame. This set is made to speed creep 252spe aegis (not +speed) and the rest is tossed in bulk. I tried variants outspeeding adamant bisharp, to no real worth. The set can setup on a lot of fatter teams, and beats them down effectively. The only obvious mons it cannot break are mandi and hydrei.

Forgive my lack of formatting for these calcs, idk how to use this site well still lol.

Relevant defensive calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. +1 152 HP / 0 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 180-213 (48.2 - 57.1%) -- 42.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 306-360 (82 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 152 HP / 0 Def Prism Armor Necrozma: 185-218 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. +1 152 HP / 0 SpD Prism Armor Necrozma: 252-297 (67.5 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Relevant offensive calcs:

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Photon Geyser vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 334-394 (105.3 - 124.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Photon Geyser vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Zeraora: 355-418 (111.9 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clefable: 204-241 (51.7 - 61.1%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ SpA Necrozma Heat Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Blade: 250-296 (95.7 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

I think kyurem and zeraora will continue to rise in usage. zeraora gaining access to play rough this gen made it alot better than last gen. It allows it to hit dragon types such as dragapult and kommo-o super effectively. life orb zeraora with four attacks; i find to be the most effective set. because of its decent coverage, teams have a hard time switching into it. I think kyurem will continue to rise is usage as well. With it getting access to freeze dry this gen its is now able to bypass bulky waters. A majority of the tier doesnt like taking a specs ice beam or draco meteor from this pokemon and its coverage is relatively solid with access to moves such as earth power, focus blast, and flash cannon for specially defensive clefable.
From my experience with it, Metronome seems to be better because you don't get worn down as easily. You can run 4 attacks or Bulk Up + 3 Attacks. (with Lefties). Now that I've used it more, I admit that Zeraora is good when I thought it was bad earlier in the meta.

EDIT: Edited to make my meaning clearer

Stuff:

This dude seems very capable in a metagame without splashable Fire immunities (aka Heatran). Flare Blitz is a very free move to click. The main trouble is Toxapex, who switches in quite freely, but it can be 2HKO'd by Banded Earthquake. Overall I can see Darmanitan playing similarly to his icy counterpart, despite being overall more manageable thanks to Flare Blitz recoil and just being weaker in general. It seems like a great boon to Sun teams along with Venusaur.

Just want to mention that abilities that were previously unavailable due to certain Pokemon not spawning as Max Raids should now available, unless I'm wrong. This means that Unaware Clefable is back too. This lets you answer safer to NP Hydreigon, becoming a very safe defensive answer to it. Basically further establishes Clefable's presence as an excellent mon in the tier.

Necrozma could be a good bulky SR mon and supporter thanks to its great bulk. Offensively it's pretty nice in terms of movepool but absolutely fails against Mandibuzz with a CM set. Could this be a good new Dragon Dancer? It's not as obviously powerful as Kyurem, but it is one point faster than Dragapult after a boost. It's also got very nice bulk to let it set up, and its coverage is good enough, with EdgeQuake, Knock Off or Brick Break to hit the common Psychic resists, although it can't cover everything on one moveset. Corviknight troubles it, but many defensive variants actually can't do all that much to it, simply becoming setup fodder. Basically seems like the better version of DD Mew, but still not that good.

Here's a nice Defogger for when you want to compress a Hydreigon check and a Defogger into one slot. Roost gives it more consistent recovery, basically letting it fill the same niches it already can, only better. Also, it's probably the best Defogger to beat Kommo-o.

This can use Nasty Plot + Simple now. It boasts pretty respectable power at +4, and it can actually have decent chance at 2HKOing specially defensive Mandibuzz with Air Slash at +4. Heat Wave OHKOs any Steel types, and any other Dark types like Hydreigon and the Goon get OHKO'd by +4 Life Orb Air Slash Probably still bad but looks fun to try. It's hard for a Psychic type in OU currently, even without Pursuit.

Another returning defogger, for when you want to compress Water immunity and Defogger into a slot. Also a good check to the newly unleashed Keldeo and uh I guess Smashtoise too. It could also just generally check special attackers that don't carry an Electric move. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of Fire types in the meta for it to take on, so it seems niche.

Mew has regained its full power, letting it remain in the game for longer, being a persistently annoying Defogger, Spike setter, Cleric, or just general wall. I could see this thing rising to prominence as a really annoying and common support mon.

Might be a weird one to mention, but I think now that it can use Heavy-Duty Boots and Roost in tandem, Charizard will be able to take advantage of its surprising defensive qualities. As a Defogger it can easily force out or beat Ferrothorn, generally beats the weird non-lead SR Excadrill variant, matches up well against defensive Clefable who I couldwisee becoming a common SR setter. Basically similar to what Moltres does in National Dex OU as far as I know. I could see this getting fringe usage.

Teleporting Dog. Teledog. It's a nice buff that lets it actually perform better as a pivot. That's it.
I agree with all your points but you missed one thing when discussing necrozma.
It can use power gem on the cm set to break through mandibuzz. I think the best set would be life orb calm mind with photon geyser heat wave and power gem or defensive sr as you mentioned to check things like terrakion.

Kommo-o is obviously crazy good in this meta, especially since Wish+Teleport Clefable is basically the most incredible teammate the mon could ever ask for. But I've been experimenting with a very different set as of recently - a set I ended up sharing in the Next Best Thing thread very recently - that I think has a huge amount of untapped potential in this meta: Choice Specs.

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower

Clanger's Special Attack is as high as Dragapult's, but it doesn't have as absurd of a Speed tier and as a result can afford to run Modest on this set. It gets an incredible Fighting STAB as well as a much, much more spammable Dragon-type nuke in Clanging Scales. The idea behind it is very simple: you predict, you click buttons, and you kill shit.

Currently the only truly OU-viable threat that can eat two hits from Specs Clanger is Specially Defensive Sylveon, and even it has a chance of falling apart after Stealth Rock damage. Everything else, be it Corviknight or Clefable or Toxapex, gets 2HKOed by this monstrosity if the Kommo-o user is aggressive with his or her predictions.

What I really love about this set is the fact that nobody really expects it. Most of the time folks see Clangorous Soul+Throat Spray or SR+Body Press, which have somewhat defined answers each. This set, however, utterly nukes most conventional Clanger answers. Running Bulletproof still allows it to check many Aegislash sets - as well as the insanely dangerous and underrated Venusaur under the Sun - so it isn't dead weight defensively either.

I really encourage folks to play around with this set a bit. It's not the most consistent set, but it's an incredibly fun toy to play around with and it offers a lot of reward for aggressive play and a strong prediction game. Kommo-o, like Grimmsnarl (which I still think is a severely underrated threat in this current metagame), has an absolutely massive movepool and a fantastic spread. It's just begging for more experimentation and innovation.

Scarfire

is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I did this once during pre-home meta so I'll do it again...

https://pokepast.es/1fdd4a31c02088f4 Compilation of sets in current meta. Keep in mind, this is a ROUGH idea of whats being used or been used. Most are from ladder, and some I saw off SPL games weeks 7 and 8. Also there are a good bit of pre-home sets too.

Again however, these are my observations, not yours. Based off these I'd like to hear what everyone thinks, what sets should/will fall off, underrated sets that should be added to the list etc etc.

Side note before I get a "but oh X set also runs this item" I didnt wanna / items since it removes the mon sprites.

I did this once during pre-home meta so I'll do it again...

https://pokepast.es/1fdd4a31c02088f4 Compilation of sets in current meta. Keep in mind, this is a ROUGH idea of whats being used or been used. Most are from ladder, and some I saw off SPL games weeks 7 and 8. Also there are a good bit of pre-home sets too.

Again however, these are my observations, not yours. Based off these I'd like to hear what everyone thinks, what sets should/will fall off, underrated sets that should be added to the list etc etc.

Side note before I get a "but oh X set also runs this item" I didnt wanna / items since it removes the mon sprites.
Weezing Galar can use the Neutralizing Gas hability..
Autotomize Weakness Policy Aegislash is a thing..
Darmanitan could run LO..
RestTalk BU Grimmsnarl is "viable"..
Keldeo dont use Calm Mind in the Specs Set...
Metronome Kyuren could run Freeze Dry as a option...
DD Mew??
CB Weavile??
Gyarados doest run Bounce anymone bc Dynaban maybe EQ or PowerWhip
Last Thing change Nature and EV is Specs Charizard (if someone use Charizard in OU)

Scarfire

MPL Champion
Weezing Galar can use the Neutralizing Gas hability..
Autotomize Weakness Policy Aegislash is a thing..
Darmanitan could run LO..
RestTalk BU Grimmsnarl is "viable"..
Keldeo dont use Calm Mind in the Specs Set...
Metronome Kyuren could run Freeze Dry as a option...
DD Mew??
CB Weavile??
Gyarados doest run Bounce anymone bc Dynaban maybe EQ or PowerWhip
Last Thing change Nature and EV is Specs Charizard (if someone use Charizard in OU)
Weezing and Zard were just a mistakes, thanks for the catch.
As for LO Darm, refer to the last sentence in my post.

In my past week of watching games above the 17/1800 ladder mark and SPL games ive seen like, 2 weakness policy Aegislash's that accomplished little to nothing. CM Specs Keldeo is smth I saw a couple of times (Likely from the same player tbh) and it was a cool way to continue to use specs keldeo aggressively and not fear the knock off spam running amok, especially when even defensive mons like pex/clef/seis all run it. DD Mew I have not seen since the Home release and I cant see it breaking through many teams in current OU. CB Weavile I considered, could be added to the list. As for Gyara, lots of moves can be considered, you arent wrong there. I forgot to post sub sets or non Lum berry sets w/leftovers or boots. Those can also be added.

Weezing and Zard were just a mistakes, thanks for the catch.
As for LO Darm, refer to the last sentence in my post.

In my past week of watching games above the 17/1800 ladder mark and SPL games ive seen like, 2 weakness policy Aegislash's that accomplished little to nothing. CM Specs Keldeo is smth I saw a couple of times (Likely from the same player tbh) and it was a cool way to continue to use specs keldeo aggressively and not fear the knock off spam running amok, especially when even defensive mons like pex/clef/seis all run it. DD Mew I have not seen since the Home release and I cant see it breaking through many teams in current OU. CB Weavile I considered, could be added to the list. As for Gyara, lots of moves can be considered, you arent wrong there. I forgot to post sub sets or non Lum berry sets w/leftovers or boots. Those can also be added.
I feel like WP Aegis isn't really something that should be in the meta. It's almost as if it's a meme that has a niche. I prefer using Choiced Aegis if I run offensive variants of it, simply because you can hit hard as soon as you can. I agree with Weavile and Gyara sets being pretty unique.

I haven’t noticed anyone mention the Renuclius set making a splash on the ladder, working well as an offensive AND defensive pivot on both balance and stall teams.

Reuniclus (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Future Sight
- Shadow Ball

AV Renuclius is a total pest. AV gives it some thicc special bulk, and Regenerate gives it longevity that lets it pivot well and soak up hits. Psychic is STAB and hits hard neutrally, Future Sight is a slow moving nuke that lets it break walls like Clefable by double hitting them in one turn, and works well when used in tandem with other mons that can switch in and pressure Psychic resists (Dark, Steel, Psychic) resists like Conkledurr, Terrakoin Excadrill, Clefable, Sylveon, Darmanitan, Rotom H, Hydregoin, Cinderance, Venusaur, Dragapult, Aegislash, Bisharp etc.

Focus Blast and Shadow Ball allow Renu to support its own Future Sights, nailing things like Bisharp, Tyranitar, Jirachi and Aegislash on the switch in, in an attempt to tank a FS.

Last edited:

Scarfire

MPL Champion
Thought I'd bring up smth that, while people are abusing often, isnt actually being discussed. And that would be how good trick is this gen. Not only is it distributed vastly throughout the OU mons, but it completely shuts down certain mons or whole cores. You trick a corvi and suddenly it has issue defogging and healing consecutively. You trick a clef and the support it offers to the team gets ruined. You trick a pex and it cant both haze and heal. And a major thing is, there is no switchin to trick. We have no Z or Mega stones.

I'm interested to see where people take the abuse of trick, ive lost to cool techs like scarf-tricking me into a ground move and then setting up w/balloon Dugtrio. All my examples above were mainly tricking a scarf, there is still a lot of potential (trick flame orb clef to burn a mon and itself to prevent para is a cool example).

Would like to hear everyones thoughts or ideas.

Thought I'd bring up smth that, while people are abusing often, isnt actually being discussed. And that would be how good trick is this gen. Not only is it distributed vastly throughout the OU mons, but it completely shuts down certain mons or whole cores. You trick a corvi and suddenly it has issue defogging and healing consecutively. You trick a clef and the support it offers to the team gets ruined. You trick a pex and it cant both haze and heal. And a major thing is, there is no switchin to trick. We have no Z or Mega stones.

I'm interested to see where people take the abuse of trick, ive lost to cool techs like scarf-tricking me into a ground move and then setting up w/balloon Dugtrio. All my examples above were mainly tricking a scarf, there is still a lot of potential (trick flame orb clef to burn a mon and itself to prevent para is a cool example).

This has been the theme song of SPL thusfar, especially pre-HOME. You had Ring Target Rotom-H so it could Volt Switch on Toad and other Grounds. Clef passing around multiple items to cripple half a team, even evading Duggy trapping with Trick. Go watch some of the replays and see if you can keep up with who's holding what. Nuts.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
This has been the theme song of SPL thusfar, especially pre-HOME. You had Ring Target Rotom-H so it could Volt Switch on Toad and other Grounds. Clef passing around multiple items to cripple half a team, even evading Duggy trapping with Trick. Go watch some of the replays and see if you can keep up with who's holding what. Nuts.
Been watchig the replays! Its something thats being done often and effectively in SPL however isnt being actually discussed outside of it. Wanted to make a quick post shining a light on how good trick is atm.

Outside opinion snipe. I do think the metal/kyu-b bans were common sense because they were clearly above the power lvl of everything else. That being said, I think a lot of emphasis is put on tournament stuff and that skews the perception of balance. Tour-play is much more centralized than playing on the latter. Tiering based on tournament play will make you focus on that which has no specific checks; where as tiering based on the ladder will make you focus on what has low risk/reward.

TLDR: I think we should look at things that are too overcentralizing even if they have counters.
I can't say I've been too active lately (work and school be busy), but the angle you are coming from I believe to be incorrect. Tournaments demonstrate what is centralizing and whether or not they can be successfully played against. Ladder play is also downstream from tournaments. The good players will see what worked well against the generally established meta game and look to play around that, as if it works at the highest level of play, is should work elsewhere. Obviously there are some exceptions to that statement, but the general point stands, especially if it has no counters or checks. That is one of the reasons Dugtrio is so annoying, once it comes in, unless you are running a specific/ niche set, there isn't anything you can do about it, which is different than Clefable. When Clefable comes in, it absolutely does work, but with the amount of counters and checks running around, it has legitimate counterplay for almost every set. A better example is Lando-T last gen. It had massive usage rates and was incredibly good because it could condense multiple roles into one. However, almost every team had checks to it and planned around. It could rip through an ill prepared team, but a well built team and good play could neutralize it quickly.

It is also worth noting that OP pokemon tend to be overcentralizing. Look at gen 7 duggy with arena trap: if it came in cleanly against something like a Heatran, both players knew that Heatran was gone and there was nothing they could do about it. The amount of counterplay was minimal at best and because of it, it kept getting used and became a centralizing pokemon due to power. In comparison with Lando, there was no real counter play and it was low risk - high reward. Lando, while being very good, did not dominate the tier in such a way as its checks were more readily available and better. There was an argument to ban it, but it was never deemed too good for the tier. Then there is also the paradox that if you remove one centralizing, but not overpowered, that another would take its place in a continuous cycle. That constant changing of meta game is unhealthy and unfun. Focusing on what is powerful with no counterplay/ checks primarily is how you balance a meta game, not just with what is good.

I'd like to talk more about the trick strats acey and theotherguy mentioned earlier. I've been playing balance lately and trick spam completely annihilates my entire team. I kept playing against this one dude on ladder who had trick scarf jirachi, sticky barb trick clef, and I think one more trick mon. Playing against one scarf trick mon, I can scout and giving my rotom-h a scarf or something and it's nbd, but multiple has shown its effectiveness as y'all mentioned.

I'm curious to know, for those of you playing balance or bulky offense playstyles, how have you dealt with these teams? I'm curious to see if these will become their own "archetype" off of the strength of Trick.

I'd like to talk more about the trick strats acey and theotherguy mentioned earlier. I've been playing balance lately and trick spam completely annihilates my entire team. I kept playing against this one dude on ladder who had trick scarf jirachi, sticky barb trick clef, and I think one more trick mon. Playing against one scarf trick mon, I can scout and giving my rotom-h a scarf or something and it's nbd, but multiple has shown its effectiveness as y'all mentioned.

I'm curious to know, for those of you playing balance or bulky offense playstyles, how have you dealt with these teams? I'm curious to see if these will become their own "archetype" off of the strength of Trick.

I’ve been kind of quietly waiting to see if this would come up, then I completely forgot about it and these posts reminded me to try it out.

Trick is extremely good right now and the fact that nothing can be immune to it except obscure bad shit like sticky hold mons, or trying to predict and get the tricked scarf onto a mon who doesn’t mind it too much are the only ways to cope outside of taunt.

Something I’ve been playing with today is Klutz AV Golurk. For those that might not know, Golurk is the only mon in the game who can trick an assault vest (Swoobat has Klutz but I don’t think it has trick or switcheroo) and it’s great when you get the right target. Tricking an AV is essentially a permanent taunt that can only be fixed by being tricked again or tanking a knock off (the trick spammer can remedy this by not running knock off). The one major downside I’ve found while running it in conjunction with trick users is your opponent can use their AV’d mon to soak up another trick and shut down your trick mon until it tanks a knock off itself.

The one thing I am especially curious about is how the meta will adapt to this, if it becomes frequent enough to warrant adaption. I doubt we will see Sticky Hold Gastrodon, but I am curious to know if peoole will opt to run magic room at all, or if taunt/magic bounce usage will rise substantially. I suppose another ‘counter’ option would be an increase in AV mons too? Idk it’s cool to see.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
On the topic of trick, this is pretty useless information but like, there is 1 switch in to it still.

Silvally.

I dont honestly know when or how this would come into play, but if the trick spam does become common, a cool niche with that mon could be cool. Im not really suggesting this as a "silvally has a use!!" type of way, moreso I'd just like to see him used creatively as such.

Scarfire

MPL Champion
What are people running on seismitoad these days? Im not really feeling much using physdef seis over kommo, it doesn't really tank stuff well and the only time im glad to have it is against dracovish. The ONLY time. It doesn't beat stuff like Zeraora well either for a ground type, being ohko'd by knot n all.

That and some guy power herb solar bladed my seis with an Aegislash recently so im very salty.

In all seriousness, what sets or spreads would everyone suggest atm?

What are people running on seismitoad these days? Im not really feeling much using physdef seis over kommo, it doesn't really tank stuff well and the only time im glad to have it is against dracovish. The ONLY time. It doesn't beat stuff like Zeraora well either for a ground type, being ohko'd by knot n all.

That and some guy power herb solar bladed my seis with an Aegislash recently so im very salty.

In all seriousness, what sets or spreads would everyone suggest atm?
For Toad's set, I think I'd still go for the traditional full defense to take less throughout the battle from Vish coverage, Cinderace, Corviknight, Cloyster, and physical mons in general. Moves would still be SR, Scald, Toxic. I'd go Earthquake for last to check spdef Clef better which people still use as their Drei answer. I'd go Earth Power for last to check Cloyster well. Also chips well any other spDef/AV mons out there without depending on Scald burn. You could afford some speed investment to creep some things, I'm not sure how much though and for what.

Anyways I think you've brought up a good point and discussion topic.
If you don't mind, I decided to start creating two lists that compare Toad with Kommo --

Among Kommo's advantages over Toad are:
- not 4x weak to grass: Ferro, Rotom-Mow, Venu, Grass Knot, rarer things that run grass moves. Can run fire moves viably.
- Bulletproof for Shadow/Pyro/Gyro Ball & Sludge Bomb as a Venu check
- Soundproof for Hyper Voice/semi-rare Toxtricity/rare-TS-Kommo
- better check to Bish/Goon/bandTar
- nice resists to U-Turn & Knock Off damage
- access to IronDef+BodyPress, which is a significant advantage and among many bonuses can help check Conk
- better speed opportunities & slightly better defense
- can easily beat the commons sets of semi-rare Gyarados
- might be able to utitlize Drain Punch for a little bit more longevity
- some unpredictability on possible viable sets while it's in the back

Toad's advantages over Kommo include:
- lack of 4x Fairy weakness and less weaknesses in general
- immunity to Scald, Volt Switch, & Thunder Wave/paralysis chance from Electric attacks
- can be a burn absorber for the team. Even burned, can still hit decently whatever targets Earth Power or Scald would target (note that burn halves Kommo's Body Press damage)
- stab Scald to chip and burn multiple possible switchins. There are less completely safe switchins to unboosted Scald than Kommo's unboosted Body Press.
- can use Earthquake to check full spdef Clef which is still used as the primary answer to Drei.
- Can Scald burn Corvi and non-Sub-Pult to help team check them.
- Not weak to Flying or Ice and can thus help check Togekiss/Pelipper with Toxic, & Cloyster with Earth Power, if hax is on Toad's side.
- A better check to Pex, Keldeo, Rotom-Heat w/ WoW, Cinderace with Zen, the semi-rare Dracozolt, & Vish (though can still lose easily to the rare Sub Metro version)
- resists Iron Head flinching
- better spDef bulk in general

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still missing a lot in these lists, and underrating or overrating the roles of each.

I personally prefer Kommo, mostly because in the same battle it can both offer Defensive utility & pressure/wincon with ID+BP.
If you can pull off a defense boost and keep it healthy, it helps prevent it from being RK'd by Zeraora's Play Rough, while Toad can't viably boost it's SpDef to prevent Grass Knot from killing. Also a +2 Kommo helps check Conk which is one of the scariest mons imo.

My best guess why people prefer Toad as the SR setter because defensively it seems to be crippled less easily, and ppl also love immunities and lack of weaknesses.

I'm open to any comments, improvements, pointers, etc.

edits:
- thx "galarian darmanitan" for pointing out that EQ doesn't do much to clef, while EP takes out cloyster
- thx "Robot7620" for pointing out that seis is often a burn absorber and EP's dmg isn't reduced

Last edited:
- can use Earthquake to check full spdef Clef which is still used as the primary answer to Drei.
Earthquake still does really low damage to spdef clef- much less than he can wish or soft boiled off freely

0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 27.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile earth power lets you handle cloyster much better than just pressing toxic and trying to wait him out

0 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Cloyster: 237-280 (98.3 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Cloyster: 93-109 (38.5 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Earthquake still does really low damage to spdef clef- much less than he can wish or soft boiled off freely

0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Clefable: 133-157 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- 27.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile earth power lets you handle cloyster much better than just pressing toxic and trying to wait him out

0 SpA Seismitoad Earth Power vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Cloyster: 237-280 (98.3 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

0 Atk Seismitoad Earthquake vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Cloyster: 93-109 (38.5 - 45.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
the main reason ep is used over eq is due to the tendency of toad absorbing burns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)