Project SS OU Teambuilding Lab [closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Arctozolt @ Life Orb

Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard

requesting for arctozolt
:ninetales-alola::arctozolt::garchomp::dragapult::corviknight::urshifu-rapid-strike:

Hello! I've put a team with your basic request of Arctozolt.

Before I explain how this weird team works, I would first like to say that the main reason this team does not use your set is that it is one that cannot be used to much success in the tier. From the underwhelming strength on its Blizzard, Hydro Pump, and Freeze-Dry to sustaining far too much pressure with Life Orb and Stealth Rock, it's really hard to make a set like this viably succeed, as it faces far too much pressure with too little reward. The set I instead used was one that took inspiration from your mixed set, utilizing Freeze-Dry as a way to puncture Swampert and Gastrodon which give Arctozolt quite a bit of trouble and can alleviate its teammates from having to waste turns attacking or leaving themselves vulnerable to added chip damage. It can also find a decent midground against a majority of Bolt Beak immunities. I chose to dive into Arctozolt's main offense and emphasized it with both Icicle Crash and Stomping Tantrum, the latter smacking the one Pokemon capable of resisting both of its STABs, giving Arctozolt room to run Heavy-Duty Boots and disregard the hazards that otherwise severely limit its switch-in opportunities. You'd be surprised at how naturally powerful Bolt Beak is without any extra support!

With this in mind, it's important to remember that Arctozolt's natural power level leaves a ton to be desired, even with Bolt Beak, which in my eyes makes it a pretty great win condition that can clean up chipped teams to a great effect in tandem with Slush Rush. To emphasize this, I made the decision to make a very unconventional Hyper Offense that takes advantage of some incredibly powerful overload alongside hail chip damage in order to force added chip damage onto the foe, compensate for the lack of hazards, as well as... chip yourself, too? That seems weird, but let me explain.

A common tactic that Hyper Offenses employ is a concept known as suicidal momentum, where Pokemon kamikaze the target to force chip damage, cripple them, and simultaneously position another offensive Pokemon safely. There are moves that do this seamlessly, such as Explosion, Memento, and Healing Wish, but you may notice that this team doesn't exactly have a Pokemon with any of these moves. The team uses hail chip and forced damage onto its offensive proponents as a way to help position another, and reinforces this with extremely powerful wallbreakers such as Garchomp, Urshifu-R, and situationally Dragapult in order to overload opponents' defensive cores and provide a clean endgame for either Dragapult or our star, Arctozolt. This is also why this team is using Life Orb Garchomp in spite of it being a Hail team, as Life Orb not only transcends its power to obscene levels but also lets Garchomp provide far more consistent suicidal momentum for the team to take advantage of when chipped.

Of course, this team is by no means reliant on hail chip to do its job, as half of the team is comprised of momentum users to help position wallbreakers more deliberately. We have Dragapult, Corviknight, and Urshifu-R, the former and latter comprising a very powerful offensive core that can be used to overwhelm things like Toxapex and Tapu Fini with ease while helping to position Garchomp against them for either a ripe Swords Dance or outright wallbreaking opportunity. Dragapult + Garchomp form the alleged "Double Dragon" core of the team and are probably one of the most devastating offensive cores you can find in the tier as a whole. The one dedicated defensive Pokemon, Corviknight, is used primarily as damage control against Dragapult, Tapu Lele, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Rillaboom, which can all be really overwhelming for the team to handle naturally, especially with how critical positioning is. Corviknight provides removal and pivoting to both keep damage thresholds deliberate while helping to reignite offensive momentum, mitigate positional consequences, and maintain the focus on overload. To further aid on damage control, Ninetales is not only the necessary hail setter, but boasts access to a great speed tier, Aurora Veil, and nifty utility moves like Encore and Hypnosis that allow for it to ease switch-ins for the main offensive core and create more liberal setup opportunities for Garchomp.

If you have any further questions on how the team works, feel free to let me know! I've had a ton of fun testing it, and I hope you enjoy using it as much as I have.

:ninetales-alola::arctozolt::garchomp::dragapult::corviknight::urshifu-rapid-strike:

Hello! I've put a team with your basic request of Arctozolt.

Before I explain how this weird team works, I would first like to say that the main reason this team does not use your set is that it is one that cannot be used to much success in the tier. From the underwhelming strength on its Blizzard, Hydro Pump, and Freeze-Dry to sustaining far too much pressure with Life Orb and Stealth Rock, it's really hard to make a set like this viably succeed, as it faces far too much pressure with too little reward. The set I instead used was one that took inspiration from your mixed set, utilizing Freeze-Dry as a way to puncture Swampert and Gastrodon which give Arctozolt quite a bit of trouble and can alleviate its teammates from having to waste turns attacking or leaving themselves vulnerable to added chip damage. It can also find a decent midground against a majority of Bolt Beak immunities. I chose to dive into Arctozolt's main offense and emphasized it with both Icicle Crash and Stomping Tantrum, the latter smacking the one Pokemon capable of resisting both of its STABs, giving Arctozolt room to run Heavy-Duty Boots and disregard the hazards that otherwise severely limit its switch-in opportunities. You'd be surprised at how naturally powerful Bolt Beak is without any extra support!

With this in mind, it's important to remember that Arctozolt's natural power level leaves a ton to be desired, even with Bolt Beak, which in my eyes makes it a pretty great win condition that can clean up chipped teams to a great effect in tandem with Slush Rush. To emphasize this, I made the decision to make a very unconventional Hyper Offense that takes advantage of some incredibly powerful overload alongside hail chip damage in order to force added chip damage onto the foe, compensate for the lack of hazards, as well as... chip yourself, too? That seems weird, but let me explain.

A common tactic that Hyper Offenses employ is a concept known as suicidal momentum, where Pokemon kamikaze the target to force chip damage, cripple them, and simultaneously position another offensive Pokemon safely. There are moves that do this seamlessly, such as Explosion, Memento, and Healing Wish, but you may notice that this team doesn't exactly have a Pokemon with any of these moves. The team uses hail chip and forced damage onto its offensive proponents as a way to help position another, and reinforces this with extremely powerful wallbreakers such as Garchomp, Urshifu-R, and situationally Dragapult in order to overload opponents' defensive cores and provide a clean endgame for either Dragapult or our star, Arctozolt. This is also why this team is using Life Orb Garchomp in spite of it being a Hail team, as Life Orb not only transcends its power to obscene levels but also lets Garchomp provide far more consistent suicidal momentum for the team to take advantage of when chipped.

Of course, this team is by no means reliant on hail chip to do its job, as half of the team is comprised of momentum users to help position wallbreakers more deliberately. We have Dragapult, Corviknight, and Urshifu-R, the former and latter comprising a very powerful offensive core that can be used to overwhelm things like Toxapex and Tapu Fini with ease while helping to position Garchomp against them for either a ripe Swords Dance or outright wallbreaking opportunity. Dragapult + Garchomp form the alleged "Double Dragon" core of the team and are probably one of the most devastating offensive cores you can find in the tier as a whole. The one dedicated defensive Pokemon, Corviknight, is used primarily as damage control against Dragapult, Tapu Lele, Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Rillaboom, which can all be really overwhelming for the team to handle naturally, especially with how critical positioning is. Corviknight provides removal and pivoting to both keep damage thresholds deliberate while helping to reignite offensive momentum, mitigate positional consequences, and maintain the focus on overload. To further aid on damage control, Ninetales is not only the necessary hail setter, but boasts access to a great speed tier, Aurora Veil, and nifty utility moves like Encore and Hypnosis that allow for it to ease switch-ins for the main offensive core and create more liberal setup opportunities for Garchomp.

If you have any further questions on how the team works, feel free to let me know! I've had a ton of fun testing it, and I hope you enjoy using it as much as I have.
Awesome i had suspected the set would have to be changed as i wasn't sure myself what an ou viable set would look like for but I'm super glad i finally get to see a solid one thanks bud, appreciate it.

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
Hello! Hopefully it's not too strange of a request, but could I maybe ask for a team with Physical Nidoking?
Kinda leaning towards more of a Hyper Offensive style team, if possible c: (maybe with webs somewhere on the team?)
Tyvm in advance! :heart:

Hi, please note that these teams do take a bit to put together, between working together to build the initial compositions, testing them, and optimizing them.

For anybody else with teams in waiting; none are going under the radar, and we will get to them eventually, with no exception.
  • If a team that you've requested isn't posted in this thread within two weeks, feel free to forum PM me or another teambuilder and we can update you on its status.
for the sake of fairness, this is a point stated on the main post of this thread. roughly a month passed since his/her initial request, so I believe he/she was just asking for updates or something idk.
I only feel compelled to say this because I assume everyone who either is waiting or already received a team from you guys (as I have) is very grateful that this thread even exists in the first place, thus would never try and make you teambuilders feel like you have a deadline or there's urgency or whatever. nothing but respect for the unnecessary extra work you guys are doing

airfare

is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OUPL Champion
I would like to request something with power trip corviknight, please.
Thank you for this project.
I would love an offensive team featuring galar-moltres
:corviknight::moltres-galar::dragapult::tapu koko::scizor::garchomp:(click sprites for import)
Hey, here's a birdspam dual screens hyper offense team that I built for you. Power Trip Corviknight + Galarian Moltres are very interesting options on hyper offense teams currently because of their utility as solid checks to threatening faster Grass-types like Rillaboom or Kartana, and Dragapult respectively. Especially when utilizing Weakness Policy with dual screens support, they also function as potent win conditions capable of easily sweeping teams when their most common checks (Clefable, Toxapex) are removed.

Dual screens support helps Corviknight and Galarian Moltres set up much more easily on even threats they are weak to like Tapu Koko, Zeraora, or Zapdos, forcing teams to use stronger super effective moves to trigger their Weakness Policy. Wallbreaking partners like Dragapult, Scizor, and Garchomp help pressure shared checks in Clefable, Toxapex, and Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Melmetal for either of the two Flying-type win conditions to clean up. Tapu Koko uses Telepathy here to marginally improve matchups vs other Electric-types like Zeraora, Zapdos, and Magnezone, while the matchups vs Rillaboom and Tapu Lele remain largely unchanged because of the multiple Flying- and Steel-types on the team.

:corviknight::moltres-galar::dragapult::tapu koko::scizor::garchomp:(click sprites for import)
Hey, here's a birdspam dual screens hyper offense team that I built for you. Power Trip Corviknight + Galarian Moltres are very interesting options on hyper offense teams currently because of their utility as solid checks to threatening faster Grass-types like Rillaboom or Kartana, and Dragapult respectively. Especially when utilizing Weakness Policy with dual screens support, they also function as potent win conditions capable of easily sweeping teams when their most common checks (Clefable, Toxapex) are removed.

Dual screens support helps Corviknight and Galarian Moltres set up much more easily on even threats they are weak to like Tapu Koko, Zeraora, or Zapdos, forcing teams to use stronger super effective moves to trigger their Weakness Policy. Wallbreaking partners like Dragapult, Scizor, and Garchomp help pressure shared checks in Clefable, Toxapex, and Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Melmetal for either of the two Flying-type win conditions to clean up. Tapu Koko uses Telepathy here to marginally improve matchups vs other Electric-types like Zeraora, Zapdos, and Magnezone, while the matchups vs Rillaboom and Tapu Lele remain largely unchanged because of the multiple Flying- and Steel-types on the team.
Thank you very much!!

Gomi

yep
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
requesting something with bu zeraora
Can I pls request a Zeraora team?
20210526_165512.jpg
Took me a while to get a build going that shows off BU zera front and center also exams lol
BU Zera functions as both the primary wincon and form of speed control for this build, with the power and bulk boost allowing you to brute force a good amount of builds once their ground is noticably chipped/dead, which zeraora can do self sufficently due to Knock.

The defensive core is relatively straightforward, Helm Corv to deter and chip pokemon that would either give Zera trouble (Rilla, Lando, Chomp), Garchomp to function as a sturdy anti Heatran measure, and provides additional benefits like taking 24% off of mons clicking U turn, hitting greedy fat walls like Tang and Hippo with toxics, and taking pressure off of Zeraora by absolutely dominating other Zeras, instead of having to answer via Zera Speed ties. Slowking is just good glue, FS piles extra pressure onto Zera's checks in fatter matchups and functions as a Kyu buffer, Urshi-r Check, Lele Check, etc.

CB Bisharp and Heatran patch up random holes left by the other 4, including Dragapult, Kyu, Volc, Weavile, Cm clef, Scale Chomp(50/50 but still), and other random stuff, whilst exerting a ton of offensive pressure. CB Bisharp+FS is incredibly difficult to tank, and as long as you keep rocks up, unwallable period, whilst Heatran provides immediate breaking without FS setups. The two combined put alot of pressure onto Zera's defensive counterplay, with CB bish heavily weakening or taking out mons Zera struggles vs like Tang, Ferrothorn, and Physdef Clef, and Heatran destroying pretty much everything but Spdef Waters that Zeraora and CB Bish absolutely annilate, and bulky grounds that become very prone to losing to Zera after Tox+Magma damage.

stuff to be wary of:
:Kartana: you have 1 faster mon and CB sucker, you beat them first or you die
SD :rillaboom:/scale SD :Garchomp:
Both r an issue for similar reasons. Bish is risky af to rk with, zeras screwed, and Corv is a p shaky check but fine for this build. Chomp is the much bigger threat here, Rilla dies rlly hard to Tankchomp sack+corv if ur desperate
:kyurem: ep+dry subroost can win if given breathing room, but its manageable with pressure. Spex is scoutable and can be outpredicted overall
Tl:Dr Zera cleans without much effort and rks, Tran+CB Bish is a scary amount of offensive pressure, King+Tankchomp+Corv aid in Zera winning endgame and provide needed backbone

Last edited:
View attachment 343942
Took me a while to get a build going that shows off BU zera front and center also exams lol
BU Zera functions as both the primary wincon and form of speed control for this build, with the power and bulk boost allowing you to brute force a good amount of builds once their ground is noticably chipped/dead, which zeraora can do self sufficently due to Knock.

The defensive core is relatively straightforward, Helm Corv to deter and chip pokemon that would either give Zera trouble (Rilla, Lando, Chomp), Garchomp to function as a sturdy anti Heatran measure, and provides additional benefits like taking 24% off of mons clicking U turn, hitting greedy fat walls like Tang and Hippo with toxics, and taking pressure off of Zeraora by absolutely dominating other Zeras, instead of having to answer via Zera Speed ties. Slowking is just good glue, FS piles extra pressure onto Zera's checks in fatter matchups and functions as a Kyu buffer, Urshi-r Check, Lele Check, etc.

CB Bisharp and Heatran patch up random holes left by the other 4, including Dragapult, Kyu, Volc, Weavile, Cm clef, Scale Chomp(50/50 but still), and other random stuff, whilst exerting a ton of offensive pressure. CB Bisharp+FS is incredibly difficult to tank, and as long as you keep rocks up, unwallable period, whilst Heatran provides immediate breaking without FS setups. The two combined put alot of pressure onto Zera's defensive counterplay, with CB bish heavily weakening or taking out mons Zera struggles vs like Tang, Ferrothorn, and Physdef Clef, and Heatran destroying pretty much everything but Spdef Waters that Zeraora and CB Bish absolutely annilate, and bulky grounds that become very prone to losing to Zera after Tox+Magma damage.

stuff to be wary of:
:Kartana: you have 1 faster mon and CB sucker, you beat them first or you die
SD :rillaboom:/scale SD :Garchomp:
Both r an issue for similar reasons. Bish is risky af to rk with, zeras screwed, and Corv is a p shaky check but fine for this build. Chomp is the much bigger threat here, Rilla dies rlly hard to Tankchomp sack+corv if ur desperate
:kyurem: ep+dry subroost can win if given breathing room, but its manageable with pressure. Spex is scoutable and can be outpredicted overall
Tl:Dr Zera cleans without much effort and rks, Tran+CB Bish is a scary amount of offensive pressure, King+Tankchomp+Corv aid in Zera winning endgame and provide needed backbone
Thank you so much :blobwizard:

requesting something with a physdef SD scizor
edit: I realised that full physdef is quite restricting and probably not even optimal in the current meta with lele and kyurem, so feel free to have mixed defences if you want (assuming anyone is building this team lol)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)