Votes: 22 22.2%
  • Episode 4: A New Hope

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 42 42.4%
  • Episode 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 18 18.2%

• Total voters
So i was just wondering, what is your favourite of the six (two) star wars films. Hopefully most of you answer 4 or 5, but as long as you can back up any other answer I guess I will be willing to accept it. Discuss and argue... let the nerd war begin :D

Fair Warning, I'm not huge on Star Wars at. Haven't seen 2 or 3, and I don't even feel the need to cover 1 (it's not as good as 4-6). Here's just my personal opinions considering the original, but they can't be real appropriate to "real" fans.

4 was a great opening for the (original) series to gain footing, but there was no real plot to it in itself. All it really did was introduce everyone, nothing to make it the best. Also very actionless for the most part, and standalone story and elements were lacking (made up in the further movies though).

5 is the best that I've seen. It has a large bulk of the original trilogy's plot devices (Jedi training, Luke/Vader connection), and had a great deal of action too. It even had sappy emotional stuff like the Leila (?) and Han relation (followed by his encasing). That's the "must see again" movie of the series.

6 was alright. Much like 4 though it didn't really do much in itself, but rather just finished the unfinished. I found a lot of the elements of the movie dull like Luke's squirming for freaking ever and a lot of other useless stalling (the opening was great though). Still a good movie, just not stand alone.

Since some of my points don't seem valid or justified, I'm basically trying to say that 5 is a real "movie" while 4 and 6 begin and end the storyline appropriately without being 'real' movies.

I'm not a fan of the new trilogy, but I will say this, the action scenes were absolutely kick ass, especially the one with Obi-Wan and Anakin on Episode III. The soundtrack for that particular scene just made it an epic.

As for favorite, I'll go with Episode IV A New Hope from the original trilogy. Though Veedrock was right about it being rather actionless, there was still something about it that kept me entertain during the entire time.
Kinda like Iron Man. Don't get me wrong it had some awesome action scenes but compared to other Marvel movies, not a lot. But it's still my favorite Marvel movie.

I don't really know, I just like all of the ones that weren't 1 and 2 at this point.

I kind of see what Veedrock means about the original trilogy, though I'm still not sure whether I prefer Empire Strikes back to Return of the Jedi (I just always liked that one for some reason).

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
Well, a lot of people hated the Ewoks. That might be part of it. I didn't mind them, but I still prefered Empire. Been a while since I watched any of them though.

ewoks without a doubt.

but yeah, esb was definitely the best, the hoth battle was definitely one of the coolest damn things i've ever seen ever

Jedi was way better than empire in a geeks eyes. You got boba fett, Jabas palace full of killers, the rancor fight. All that good shit.

However, the story of empire is best. You have the death star being destroyed and evil gone for now. It's not the same in Jedi.

The others don't even come close.

I liked the new Star Wars more than the old series. The special effects were better, and it was fun to watch the inevitability of Anakin's change.

My favorite was Episode III, because of the great suspense and dramatic action.

Friggin love star wars....

I'm all for episode 4 because it's got the most space cowboyery

on a second note, has anyone read any of the books? If so, what are your favorites? (Mine is truce at bakura)

I was always a fan of 6 for Luke just pwning everyone. The endor battles were sick to.

As for the first three i can not stand anakin in the slightest. The trilogy was riddled with some of the worst acting i've ever laid eyes on. The battles were pretty epic but still padme and anakin were horrible.

Wow. Man am i disapointed. Star wars episode three is quite possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It may have good action, but come on guys, the acting is horrendous, the script is all pathetic one liners, and the movie is so predictable.

I'm also wondering why most people seem to like 5 more than 4. They are easily the best two (check movie databases, such as IMDB) but most people still prefer 5 over 4.

I understand the whole 'darker' theme as it isn't so cliche happy ending like 4 is. 5 also has hoth and dagobah, and the whole Darth Vader / Luke confrontation. 4 however has the whole character introduction and backstory behind the whole saga. It also has the binary sunset scene, which is my favourite movie scene of all time, even though it has no words... i know, I'm a sap. Overall, the character introduction and the whole poor farmer escaping his bad life and going on a grand adventure makes the movie seem upbeat and happy. The story is also well palyed out and has such powerful scenes that I just like it more than 5.

So could someone else who likes 4 and 5 the most post what they feel makes one better than the other, as I am interested to what other people think.

EDIT: please close this thread. the lack of appreciation for good movies is KILLING ME...

Revenge of the sith is easily the best! it has an awesome soundtrack, a great story, and the fight scenes are awesome as well [Anakin vs Obi Wan, Obi Wan vs General Grievous] and Revenge of the sith is contender for my favourite film of all time!

I said Phantom Menace, simply because Natalie Portman and Keira Knightley are in it. Other than those two reasons, I laugh at the movies now.

Close call between I and V since they both have the great action scenes that are the space pod race and battle at hoth.

Chose Episode I though, since it was the very first Star Wars movie I saw.

Phantom Menace for me.

I remember watching this when it first came out and was amazed by all the new stuff and out of the new series, it had a happy ending.

I like the new series, most likely, because I watched the original trilogy so many times that it lost its appeal to me. When you can practically retell the story of Star Wars in your sleep, the difference are the visuals and fight scenes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)