Stat Experience Training in RBY/GSC

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Red and Blue Versions

How many times must I beat the Elite 4 and Rival to max out the Stat Experience of One Pokemon?

I was about to ask this question in the SQSA thread and saw that the latest post asked the same exact question. Instead of fretting, I went ahead and made a spread sheet and calculated it myself.

Player Starts w/ Bulbasaur

HP: 37
Atk: 31
Def: 32
Spc: 32
Spe: 34

Player Starts w/ Charmander

Player Starts w/ Squirtle
Spc: 33

Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal Versions
# of Rounds
HP: 34
Atk: 28
Def: 31
Spe: 37

Look at how few battles must be completed to train for Attack! Lance's entire team, especially the three Dragonite, has a huge effect on that. The levels of the E4's Pokemon are much lower here than they are in RBY. If you're lucky enough to contract the PokéRus, cut those encounters in half. In other words...

Do All Stat Experience Training in GSC!

so basically, the point of this post is how many times you need to run through the gen 1/2 league before a given pokemon's stats are maxed, then all that's left to do is to get them to level 100?

Good to know, I guess.

I'm a HUGE Gen I/II Stadium junky. I continue to raise new Pokemon to level 100 with different movesets to play through the Stadium mode with, or give the Free Battle computer competitive monsters for me to fight against. I've often wondered how many times I should cycle through the E4 before I could call my training for each Pokemon "done," and this is exactly what I needed. This is awesome, thank you!

great idea! after I saw your original thread yesterday, I went and done the same thing for GSC, but now I see you beat me to it ,) (or was it there before and I just missed it?)
anyway - my calculation for Speed in GSC says only 33 rounds, otherwise I have the same values as you... will you check it?

So let me see if I understand this: if I want to max out a Pokemon's Atk in GSC, said pokemon has to gain experience from EVERY pokemon the E4 + Champion has 28 times (and this experience can be gained indirectly from the Exp. Share or having said pokemon single-handedly defeat the E4 + Champ)? That's what you mean by beating the league X amount of times, right?
Yikes. And I just thought making a Stadium 2 team was leveling up + teaching moves X_X

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
37, if you want to max out all of them. 28 is the absolute minimum, that is assuming you're going for Attack only.

37, if you want to max out all of them. 28 is the absolute minimum, that is assuming you're going for Attack only.
Well, that's not so bad if you're only training a few mons...considering how easy the league is, I guess you could go through a few times each day.

So let me see if I understand this: if I want to max out a Pokemon's Atk in GSC, said pokemon has to gain experience from EVERY pokemon the E4 + Champion has 28 times (and this experience can be gained indirectly from the Exp. Share or having said pokemon single-handedly defeat the E4 + Champ)? That's what you mean by beating the league X amount of times, right?
Yikes. And I just thought making a Stadium 2 team was leveling up + teaching moves X_X
yup, that would be correct... 28 times, if your poke didn't have any stat. exp before = you didn't battle with him and you didn't give him any vitamins (with 10 vitamins, it would take only 14 times)... exp share should give you same part of stat exp as ordinary exp (according to bulba)

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
Remember that if you're doing this in RBY, Exp. All does not share Stat Exp.
But you should really be trading forward to GSC where the E4 is cake, training is quicker, and Exp. Share gives it to the holder as well.

I'm sorry, in a previous post I was asking, if you can check those 37 rounds for speed (gsc), because in my spreadsheet, it was only 33 rounds... (maybe you missed it)
I hope you don't mind...

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Now I can lord another advantage over my high school friends when we get together and play the old pkmn games!! Cool resource imo, nixhex

I'm glad someone else did the calculations as well. Although I got different results, especially for the speed in GSC. Would you mind double checking?

Here's my calculations.

GSC Elite Four Stat Exp. Given

Will

Hp 385
Atk 370
def 370
spc 530
spe 370

Koga

hp 405
atk 440
def 425
spc 345
spe 350

Bruno

hp 275
atk 495
def 467
spc 200
spe 358

Karen

hp 365
atk 385
def 347
spc 485
spe 411

Lance

hp 526
atk 716
def 507
spc 529
spe 551

Total

hp 1956
atk 2406
def 2116
spc 2089
spe 2040

GSC Number of Rounds Without Vitamins and Minerals

65535/Total stat exp (rounded up for each stat).

HP 34
Atk 28
Def 31
Spc 32
Spe 33

GSC Number of Rounds With Vitamins and Minerals

(65535-25500)/Total Stat Exp (rounded up for each stat).

HP 21
Atk 17
Def 19
Spc 20
Spe 20

So all in all, it will take 34 to fully train a pokemon without vitamins, or 21 with the vitamins, in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

I remember reading somewhere else that it took 20 with vitamins in RBY. From my experiences, this number has proven true, and in actuality, most stats are full by the 18th round, and the last two are for HP.

But I would still train in Gold/Silver/Crystal because the Elite Four is significantly easier as they are a much lower level.

Edit: On a side note, if you want to be exact in the calculations, I believe at 65025 the stat is maxed out, similar to how with EVs, the "max" is 255, but at 252 the stat is maxed. I didn't use this number in the calculations, but it is something to keep in mind in case you see varying results.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Once you do round(s) of E4 + Champion, deposit and withdraw the trained Pokemon into your PC Box. If you don't see any stat changes, then it's safe to assume that your Pokemon is maxed out.

All of the GSC numbers would be halved if you've got the Pokerus, right? So if you took all vitamins, AND had the Pokerus, you'd only need to go through the Elite Four 10 times?

I literally *just* contracted the Pokerus about five minutes ago in my Crystal cartridge for the first time ever. I'm very excited about this.

i know im super late to this thread but do we know how many times in yellow?
10 years later and I was wondering the same haha
but anyway the 37 rounds leads to an average hp stat of 70 per pokemon which sounds right. So 37 rounds assuming no prior training and 22 with vitamins. I’d say it’s probably closer to 10-15 for pokemon you played through the game with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)