Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could see this move seriously helping Togekiss and other flinchax Pokemon as they won't need to run Thunder Wave or Body Slam.
Togekiss will always outrun -1 Garchomp and could easily get the KO with Moon Blast.

They'd risk eating a Bug Buzz by switching in, though. And Mega Absol can't Magic Bounce on its first switch-in because it won't be transformed yet. They're faster, though.
I know they're risking that. But then it becomes a 50/50 for Galvantula as well as for you. If you switch in a Magic Bouncer as he uses Sticky Web, well hot damn. If he uses Bug Buzz as you switch in something like Scarftran, well, then he done fucked up now.

If you switch in Absol on the revenge, well, then you can Mega Evolve while Sucker Punching. If Galvantula tries to attack you, he takes a minimum of 85.76% from Sucker Punch. Anything else and you bounce it back.

Got a Galvantula from a trade from someone who got it in the Friend Safari. Looks like it is obtainable ingame after all. I'll start breeding for a good one after I finish my other breeding project.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
The blurb on Serebii about Intimidate lowering Attack by two stages now is correct, yea?
No, that was false, it was just started by Simple Bidoof and spiraled out of control.

Anyway, as for Sticky Web... looks like Smeargle and Galvantula are on the OU train for sure! This move is going to be huge for any team and absolutely essential for offense, so much so that it seems over-centralizing on paper... time will tell if it gets a better distribution.

If Galvantula starts showing up on every damn team just for the chance to set up Sticky Web, I hope it (or the attack) gets banned for over-centralization. If you don't set web yourself, you're pretty much screwed unless you have a decent number of types that are unaffected by it. If both players use Sticky Web, you're back to where the match started, only now you've got 5 decent 'Mons and a shitty electric/bug on your team.

You're only other option is to out-speed and OHKO it with probably a scarf user.... But even then that will only work if you don't have to switch. If that's not over-centralization I'm not sure what is. I've always hated the idea of entry hazards, but Stealth Rock isn't nearly as bad as Sticky Web is.

If Galvantula starts showing up on every damn team just for the chance to set up Sticky Web, I hope it (or the attack) gets banned for over-centralization. If you don't set web yourself, you're pretty much screwed unless you have a decent number of types that are unaffected by it. If both players use Sticky Web, you're back to where the match started, only now you've got 5 decent 'Mons and a shitty electric/bug on your team.

You're only other option is to out-speed and OHKO it with probably a scarf user. If that's not over-centralization I'm not sure what is. I've always hated the idea of entry hazards, but Stealth Rock isn't nearly as bad as Sticky Web is.
Agreed, I don't like the precident this move will set.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

You're only other option is to out-speed and OHKO it with probably a scarf user. If that's not over-centralization I'm not sure what is. I've always hated the idea of entry hazards, but Stealth Rock isn't nearly as bad as Sticky Web is.
We have never banned anything for overcentralization........................and there are work arounds like a spinner, mono flying/levitating, etc.

Is team preview still present in gen 6?
Ariados can make a decent sticky web/toxic spikes lead with insomnia if smeargle gets really popular.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No, that was false, it was just started by Simple Bidoof and spiraled out of control.

Anyway, as for Sticky Web... looks like Smeargle and Galvantula are on the OU train for sure! This move is going to be huge for any team and absolutely essential for offense, so much so that it seems over-centralizing on paper... time will tell if it gets a better distribution.
Oh damn I'm retarded and I should stop listening to stupid internet rumors lol.

I still think Bisharp and the Contrary crowd will be useful. As good as this move is, I don't think Smeargle will be on the OU train (unless Moody is unbanned), but it's BL-worthy for sure. There will likely be better Bug type alternatives to use in lieu of Smeargle because of those inexcusably bad stats and ease of Taunting/Tricking.

Can someone try to see if Venonat gets it?

We have never banned anything for over centralization........................and there are work arounds like a spinner, mono flying/levitating, etc.
There are workarounds for just about everything, that argument only goes so far. We'll see, I'm tired of the entire idea and meta game involving entry hazards. The game was better without them (IMO).

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If Politoed starts showing up on every damn team just for the chance to set up rain, I hope it (or the ability) gets banned for over-centralization. If you don't set rain yourself, you're pretty much screwed unless you have a decent number of types that are unaffected by it. If both players use rain, you're back to where the match started, only now you've got 5 decent 'Mons and a shitty water-type on your team.

You're only other option is to set a different weather or kill it with a cloud nine user....But even then that will only work if you don't have to switch. If that's not over-centralization I'm not sure what is. I've always hated the idea of entry weather, but drizzle isn't nearly as bad as sand stream is.

Sticky web is never going to be banned for overcentralization as the term has never been used as an argument for anything. The move is only going to be used because of galvantula's relative competence, if only metapods and weedles got it you wouldn't see the move running around. And it's not like once the move is set up you auto-lose...

I'm tired of the entire idea and meta game involving entry hazards. The game was better without them (IMO).
They've been around since gen 2, you know.

If Galvantula usage gets high then Gale Wings Talonflame just became even more important. Magic Bounce users too.

Last edited:
I wasn't arguing for Gligar and Gliscor as much as I was arguing against Shuckle.

But hey it's a bug type, you got me. My logic is foiled.
Then maybe don't waste people's time with poorly worded posts in an attempt to be funny and waste everyone's time ya?

I noticed that Galvantula can pass Bug Buzz off to Scyther/Scizor. I wonder if Scizor could learn Sticky Web..
Dear god that would be scary. As it is The only amazing user of it so far is Galvantula and maybe Smeargle. Ariodos barely passes since it also has insomnia and would be completely useless after that.

So I was already thinking of running Mega Banette for its ability to set up priority Trick Room. And now I find out there's a SPEED-LOWERING HAZARD? <3

Last edited:
Since Forretress is based on bagworms, what are the chances of Forretress getting sticky web?

So I was already thinking of running Mega Banette for its ability to set up priority Trick Room. And now I find out there's a SPEED-LOWERING HAZARD? <3
Trick Room will be a great counter...it's unfortunate that most of them get demolished by Galvantula. The only two I can think of who could use it against him of the top of my head is as you said, Mega-Banette and also Porygon-2.

Between Taunt, Magic Bounce, Rapid Spin, and simply the option of slogging through it, I don't think it'll be an insurmountable threat. Remember, the only players who can use it are ones who use Galvantula, possibly as a suicide lead, which means they've lost a teamslot they could use for other things. And using Sticky Web has its own benefits for Malamar, Serperior, and Trick Room teams, which would spike in popularity if Sticky Web got popular. Even if they scare the Galvantula player out of using Sticky Web rather than actually benefiting from the move, they've managed to keep a foe's key trump card from actually coming into play at all and can work from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)