Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firebug protection

Firebug is a debugging tool which provides viewing, monitoring and editing JavaScript/DOM web applications at runtime. This allows on-line manipulation of JavaScript run time variables, which can be used for cheating.

The only way to prevent doing so, is the so-called obscufating. Tools like YUIcompressor, Stunnix JavaScript Obfuscator or Jasob JavaScript and CSS Obfuscator turn the JavaScript code into a human-unreadable, but valid JavaScript code, preventing it to be hacked at run time.

The second thing is that you have to prevent that the user connects with a custom (or a modded) client to the Showdown server. To do so, let the client calculate a hash with its own source code and a randomized token which is provided by the server. Let the server check whether this hash is valid, if not, the client will be rejected.

However, you can still provide the open source client code, so that Showdown remains an open source software project.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Firebug protection

Firebug is a debugging tool which provides viewing, monitoring and editing JavaScript/DOM web applications at runtime. This allows on-line manipulation of JavaScript run time variables, which can be used for cheating.

The only way to prevent doing so, is the so-called obscufating. Tools like YUIcompressor, Stunnix JavaScript Obfuscator or Jasob JavaScript and CSS Obfuscator turn the JavaScript code into a human-unreadable, but valid JavaScript code, preventing it to be hacked at run time.

The second thing is that you have to prevent that the user connects with a custom (or a modded) client to the Showdown server. To do so, let the client calculate a hash with its own source code and a randomized token which is provided by the server. Let the server check whether this hash is valid, if not, the client will be rejected.

However, you can still provide the open source client code, so that Showdown remains an open source software project.
Those are both incredibly insecure/slow/pointless "solutions" to a problem that PS already solves with server-side validation.

Use all the Firebug or client modding you want, you won't be able to do anything you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to do. Try it, if you don't believe me.

I'm always consistently amazed at the lack of demand for something that allows easier insertion of completely custom Pokemon
but yeah that's still my suggestion

But obviously anything relating to existing metagames that isn't up yet is going to be higher priority

I know there are bigger issues (broken ladder), but a feature to avoid rematches on the ladder would be nice. I got the same opponent four times in a row, even though it said "There are 7 other people searching."

I know there are bigger issues (broken ladder), but a feature to avoid rematches on the ladder would be nice. I got the same opponent four times in a row, even though it said "There are 7 other people searching."
They were probably searching in different tiers.

Make it so that when you hit the "Look For A Battle" button either;

A) it changes so you know you clicked it
Or
B) make it so that it you click it more than once it still only looks for one battle at a time.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Make it so that when you hit the "Look For A Battle" button either;

A) it changes so you know you clicked it
Or
B) make it so that it you click it more than once it still only looks for one battle at a time.
Normally, when you click it a dialog will show to let you know you are searching, and the button will disappear. When the server lags, the button doesn't always go away instantly. Clicking it more than once causes it to look for more and isn't recommended if you want it only one battle. If the server is lagging, clicking the button multiple times isn't wise.

It might be because I am using my iPod, it has not once done that for me. I don't normally click more than once, but when I click it and wait and see 5+ other battles of that tier happen is when I tend to click it again.

Please, make the battle logs match the format used by Pokemon Online so that they can be viewed as replays here http://pokemon.aesoft.org/ . Since there's no other log-based replay option, It'd be nice if Pokemon Showdown logs were compatible with it, especially since recording live battles is quite a hassle.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This will probably get thrown out but...I would like it if there was an option to opt out of CAP Pokemon from random battles. I'm using random bats to help new players learn about a bunch of different mons and it's really frustrating when something that doesn't exist shows up. Also, I don't like using something that I'm not familiar with and I'm not interested in using something fanmade.

I know it's a low chance, but I would like if there was an opt-out.

Two things that I would love to be transferred to PS that are in PO.

1- Boxes, I would love the return of boxes to make team building easier because right now I build teams on PO still and transfer to PS.

2- Being able to sort players by tier was someone that you might not think about but it was so good on PO. It showed how many people were playing the tier you are (Since I focus on RU and its not always the most active tier) and it makes it easier to challenge people that are in the same tier as you.

Forgot to mention because I assume this is being fixed, the feature of replaying matches is one that I hope will be kept. Mostly because I use it for youtube videos like many other people that use PS.

I dont know if someone already suggested but you should definitely put the stats of a pokemon in the pokemon selection while you are in a battle.

Don't know if it's been said already, but I think unrated varients of each tier would be appreciated. It would be more friendly on testing, as having a bad start won't butcher your ladder ranking.

I haven't read this thread so I don't know if it's been suggested already:

When you have multiple teams, it always selects the first team you've made after you finish a battle. That means when I'm testing a new team, I have to always re-select it.

Yes, it takes one second, but it'd be nice if it keeps your current team after one battle :)

Can you guys put the chat in the small area under the moves? Whenever I battle someone who critiques my team I sometimes will watch the replays. This causes the chat to disappear and only comments we type show up for about 2 seconds. Though the chat does show up at the end of the replay, it would increase the overall user freindly interface.

Is there a Desktop client planned? I get it you can download a "mini chrome" that takes you directly to PS, but that's not the same. Currently, the lack of a non-browser client (in addition to older gens, but I do know that feature is a top pripority, so I'm not even going to take it into account) is what bothers me the most, and what still keeps me laddering on PO instead of Showdown.

Hugendugen

Noam Chompsky.
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think basically all the mods/drivers would agree that /redir is fun but not exactly practical. Typing out the url can be annoying if you just want to send a quick message to the user. I'd suggest we introduce /kick (also shortened to /k) which basically just redirects the user to the rules page. Much like on PO, it would make sense for this to be drivers+.

Is there a possibility that when challenging someone to a hackmons battle we could get the option to use random teams with randomly select moves and abilities Or maybe it could randomly select sets based on the fact that the battle is a hackmons battle?

Random Hackmons battles have the potential to be absolutely hilarious.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
a channel topic title (probably updatable by Drivers+) would be nice, to display things like current known bugs such as a down ladder, give useful info, and possibly a permanent link to this post so people will stop nagging you

I think there should be penalties for forfeiting to many times, like if you forfeit 3 times you get banned for 30 minutes or when you forfeit you take -200 along with whatever you lose. Its just so frustrating when people forfeit when my Nidoking oneshots their Politoed on the first turn and they ragequit.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Punishment for forfeiting is not really sensible. They are resigning from a game either out of rage, inability to win, or a lack of time. The latter is completely acceptable and while the first two may be considered unsportsmanlike, they aren't really offenses worthy of being punished. He lost, you won, move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)