Sun / Moon In-Game Tier List

Never let it be said I didn't stand up for a Bug in need of a boost - I'm throwing in with the Golisopod gang on this one. Emergency Exit is truly annoying, but it makes up for it with priority and great stats. B or C. Probably B but Emergency Exit screws you over at the most inopportune times.

And I'm sort of rehashing myself here but I'd also support Ariados to D (Leech Life and some priority options, decent attack) and Parasect to C (I think I've said enough about this one). Big Root comes early and easily so anything that can really make use of a draining move gets that advantage right off the bat.

If anyone was like me and thought maybe Abra having a full moveset might fix the Kadabra glitch, it doesn't.

Sucks for Kadabra. Maybe it will be fixed in the patch fixing the battle spot issues.

I don't care what anyone says

I managed to luck up with a Modest Wingull at the beginning of the game and Let me tell you.

Pelipper W/Drizzle is a damn beast. Thing hits hella hard, along with a Z move and the extra boost to its water attacks, most things that crossed paths with this guy has died

Rimbombee to me, is very underwhelming so far. I hear a lot about how good it is, but for me it doesn't have that extra power for a lot of things, especially the deeper I get in the game. I don't think it's deserving of its A tiering? Maybe I'm not utilizing it right?

A-Grimer is a tanky beast. Due to its late evolution into Muk, I paired him up with an Evolite and he hits pretty hard as well as tank hits very well. Definitely deserves its A tiering

Mudbray - I currently put this guy in my team, raising him right now so I don't know much other than he has pretty scary attack and once he's fully trained he will be a force to be reckoned with

Honestly, is Pichu still too high? My experience with the rodent frankly was awful.

As a Pichu, it was complete garbage; frail as a paper bag and only halfway strong. Evolving from friendship meant that it missed out on Electro Ball as at the mid teens, which was passed before Pichu evolved, meaning that I had to run with thundershock as the sole means of doing damage until level 26, unless you TM it Brick Break. It doesn't seem too long, but to me that was the longest time. Even Charge Beam didn't really redeem this thing; it can't do much at all without a boost or two, and it's not really tanky. Add to that a chance for Charge Beam to not boost and it really wasn't great at all.

Once it evolved, I'll admit it definitely got better. Unfortunately, though, evolving means you get a psychic typing, which means you get dark-type-moves-out-the-wazzoo hell kicking in, meaning even stuff you think you'd beat just stomp you down; thinking for the E4 (which I didn't get to with it) Hala's pokemon all have knock off, not to mention Ghost Girl completely stomping you. Probably would do fine versus the Air Golfer, but I doubt it'd shine on Olivia.
I thought to use it on Totem Wishiwashi but it just got stomped by the overpowered sardine. Salazzle outsped Pikachu, Lurantis is resistant to thundershock, and I'm pretty sure Mimikyu outsped me.

It can't even get T-Bolt until level 42 or Poni Plains, depending on which comes first. Thinking of Thunder? Sorry, that's Seafolk Village.

It just didn't do well enough at all versus Lusamine for me to not box it in contempt afterward. You're stuck with Spark, Psychic, and whatever else you feel like throwing onto it, which frankly wasn't all enough, especially versus the other, vastly superior options I had in current B-Tiers Misdreavus and Rockruff. Despite the hassle, I felt like it didn't really have an upside to the struggle, unlike Magikarp evolving into a monster in Gyarados or Wimpod turning into the heavy-hitter Golisopod, making it pretty awful in my eyes.

I personally found Pichu to be incredibly useful at time. Yes it's movepool is shallow, and yes Pikachu doesn't get to use Thunderbolt until level 42, but I'm finding Alolan Richu useful, fast, and powerful.

I'm just running

Thundershock (lol)
Nasty Plot
Psychic
Hidden Power (fighting)

It's doing pretty well so far, no complains other than thundershock

Huh, interesting about Volt Tackle. I got the Pikachunium Z but of course I didn't get the actual move >_>.

That being said, maybe it's a case of the 'mon just getting shafted by teammates for me. I had Magnezone for primary electrical and it made me constantly guess whether A-Raichu was necessary, let alone optimal, and Mismagius and Lycanroc made me not really feel a special difference with the speed. If I hadn't run with Mag, A-Rai would totally have had more time to shine, and Volt Tackle would have *really* helped it out, and running neither of the other two would have made me much better appreciate it's speedy power.

Finally finished the game, have one nom to add:

Gengar (No Trade) for B/C [depending on how much of an issue its availability is]
Availability: This is far and away Gengar's biggest issue. It can be found in Thrifty Megamart as an SOS encounter from Haunter, which can be very frustrating since Haunter is immune to False Swipe and is frail and has Confuse Ray and Curse. I used a Taunt Gyarados; Salandit is probably best since it gets Dragon Rage early. This is also notably when everything starts getting Dark- and Ghost-type coverage.

Stats: It's a Gengar. OHKO or be OHKOed. Special attacks. etc.

Movepool: When you get it, Gengar notably gets Venoshock, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Psychic, and Will-O-Wisp right away and Ghostium Z right after the Ghost Trial, and Sludge Bomb and Toxic are not that far away. It gets Thunder(bolt), Focus Blast, and Dazzling Gleam towards the end of the game, and it can also set up Rain Dance if you want to manipulate rain SOS. Hex at level 55 rounds out its movepool, though it's probably better off sticking with all-out attacking than spreading status.

Major Battles:
Totem Mimikyu: Use something else. You might be able to cheese it with Confuse Ray but there's really no point.
Team Skull: You will struggle with Grimer/Muk and Raticate, but you should outspeed and KO everything else.
Nanu: Never-Ending Nightmare takes care of Sableye and Energy Ball takes out Krokorok. Use something else for Persian.
Team Aether: Muk and Raticate are again issues, and random Dark-type moves fly around everywhere, but you should outspeed everything and KO almost everything.
Lusamine: If you have really terrible speed Mismagius can be an issue. Otherwise, you outspeed and OHKO most of her team (and you're immune to all of Bewear's moves)
Hapu: Her Pokemon will OHKO you, but you can at least snipe Gastrodon (and maybe Mudsdale, I didn't check) with Energy Ball.
Totem Kommo-o: Dazzling Gleam
Hala: All of his Pokemon have random coverage (most of it Dark) so if Psychic doesn't OHKO you're probably not living a hit in return.
Olivia: Energy Ball for days. You could try Focus Blast but I found Energy Ball sufficient so there's no need to risk missing.
Acerola: You outspeed and OHKO everything.
Kahili: Skarmory has Sturdy, Crobat may outspeed you, and you may not be able to OHKO Mandibuzz (Electrium Z really helps here), but Thunderbolt gets you through most if not all of this battle.
Professor Kukui: Ninetales is outsped and OHKOed by Sludge Bomb. Braviary could be a problem if it survives Thunderbolt. Lycanroc can outspeed if you have really terrible speed and OHKO with Crunch, but it gets OHKOed if you outspeed. Magnezone can paralyze you and has Sturdy to bounce back your Focus Blast, so you should probably use something else. Snorlax will likely take a Focus Blast unless you use Fightingium Z and OHKO back with Crunch or High Horsepower. Sludge Bomb probably OHKOes Primarina (I didn't use Litten), Focus Blast with Z-Move OHKOes Incineroar (not sure about non-Z-move), and Shadow Ball probably OHKOes Decidueye (I didn't use Popplio), but watch out for Sucker Punch.

Additional Comments: Gengar has terrible availability for players without access to trade, but the sheer power and flexibility make it easily worth it, especially since it's useful (almost) right away. The ability to switch between so many TMs and Z-Crystals definitely gives it an edge in the late-game. (In fact, I can already see speedrun strats revolving around SOS Gengar) I had a Jolly Gengar and it carried the late-game lol

Last edited:
Gyarados gets Ice Fang relatively early on (L32) but if you're looking for a solid ice type and not just coverage, Skill Link Shellder is about all there is until super late game, right?
I mentioned it earlier already, but just reaffirming that Shellder can be really good in the Jungle (it's a good training spot for it, if nothing else-- I even caught one without skill link and it was still ORKOing everything in the jungle with 2 hits from Icicle Spear). It can actually evolve before the trial and Cloyster's defenses make withstanding the totem Lurantis' attacks somewhat doable, though I wouldn't do this unless you're grinding the hell out of Shellder to get Razor Shell before evolving.

Shellder can do really well against Olivia, though. Dat defense.
And don't underestimate the value of Ice attacks this early, hahaha. It's quite the boon; pretty much the only thing I found Shellder/Cloyster unable to take on (aside from any special attacker) is other Water-types (Hidden Power and Poison Jab being the only moves it has against them... there's also payback I guess...? But IDR when that comes along).

Gyarados learns Ice Fang @ lv. 27 in this gen, which is neat since it'll be relying on Thrash and Bite just about exclusively until then. I think an issue with coverage should be pointed out in its case. People exaggerate Magnemite's supposed lack of coverage, but Gyarados will have one for a while too.

I don't see a point in postponing Shellder's evolution when Scald isn't any less potent than Razor Shell. I'd evolve it ASAP.

WRT Abra - if Exp Share is really assumed to be active, you can just imagine its period until Psybeam is a period before "you catch it". I mean, what's the difference between not being to use a mon until the 2nd island because it can't attack and not using a mon because you haven't caught it yet? Alakazam with Psybeam and misc coverage moves should be super strong from that point onwards, possibly justifying a higher spot on the list.

I don't use Exp Share on my runs and would never consider using Abra for that reason, however.

Electric Oricorio should be B or A tier imo. For starters, it was my mvp in my playthrough of Sun. Its typing gives it some very notable resistances, and Acrobatics can be obtained early on, and it helps gain lots of one and two-hit kos early and continues being good until sharp beak + air slash and revelation dance become usable later on. Its best performance is against team skull, where it easily sweeps through the grunts, and it cleanly ohko'd Guzma's entire team (they're all weak to bug) on my playthrough. It solo's the dragon trial, and it also does respectable job against the elite four, being able to solo the flying type member and do serious damage to the fighting type member iirc, but it needs its teammates for the rock type member. C tier is seriously underselling it.

Yeah, Electric's definitely the best of the four, and the first one available too. I certainly found it useful, but I don't know if I found it quite as amazing as you did yours. Were you using Exp. Share?

My main problem was that Revelation Dance isn't until level 40, and it really has no coverage besides flying and some really weak normal moves until then.

I was continually annoyed by the inability of my Electric bird to learn any sort of coverage move by TM. Raticate gets Thunderbolt, you'd think they would extend the same courtesy to Oricorio.

Still, once you get Revelation Dance the ability to switch types is a very nice perk.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pure theorymon since I haven't used it, but Oricorio doesn't seem to be higher than B. The lack of coverage and secondary STAB coming so late is a huge letdown, and it doesn't even have any good utility moves to make up for its deficiencies like Magnemite does (bar Teeter Dance I guess, but it's a bit too haxy).

I also haven't used Oricorio, but the level 13 Air Cutter coming off of special attack and speed far ahead of its time seems really clutch, especially for the 1st Kahuna. Probably lags in the mid-game (no secondary STAB) and late game (stats aren't great), but the utility of changing types could be fun.

I want to talk about Bruxish. It was the most unexpectedly good mon that I used, and I don't think E tier reflects this.

- Admittedly, I wasn't efficient/typical in catching it. I backtracked when my team was around level 40 because I wanted a water type. I also got lucky. I caught mine at a high level (~30) and got one with Strong Jaw. I think these factors (the varying level and ability chance) are unfortunate, but passable.
- When Bruxish is caught (or trained up if caught at a low level), it comes with Crunch. This combined with Strong Jaw and a good attack stat give it immediate utility. It soon gets Aqua Tail.
- In about 10 levels it gets Psychic Fangs (aside: this is my least favorite concept for an attack ever like...... are you serious......) and then it gets fun. STAB, Tough Claw boosted Psychic Fangs rips through everything not resistant or super bulky.
- 92 Speed is enough to have a competitive edge in this region.
- Secondary Psychic is not great defensively. Guzma, Acerola, and all of the random Dark types/Dark coverage are not friendly.

I am absolutely not arguing that Bruxish is the best Water type to use in Alola. It has poor midgame availability, mediocre bulk, and little flexiblity. But its good speed tier combined with ridiculous Psychic STAB make it a fun, surprising nuke to run.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pure theorymon since I haven't used it, but Oricorio doesn't seem to be higher than B. The lack of coverage and secondary STAB coming so late is a huge letdown, and it doesn't even have any good utility moves to make up for its deficiencies like Magnemite does (bar Teeter Dance I guess, but it's a bit too haxy).
Work Up? Calm Mind lategame? Baton Pass? Roost for sustain? You can boost with this thing and pass the boosts to a more capable teammate later on and the boosts really help it throughout the game, especially when it's relying on Acrobatics / Air Cutter for most of the earlygame to midgame.

And Teeter Dance I never used in my run with it and will never use on Oricorio, because it is far too unreliable to be worth it, especially with the apparent nerf to Confusion. Even if it was worth it, there are better options to consider.

Sand stream Gigalith was surprisingly good for me.
You can get it as early as ten carat hill, rock blast at level 14 is godsend, it hits like a truck & it's just so damn bulky with sand stream as Gigalith.
The problems are that it's super slow & it doesn't get much more than rock moves (until bulldoze at least) and it relies a lot on having sand stream to be anywhere near useful.

Sand stream Gigalith was surprisingly good for me.
You can get it as early as ten carat hill, rock blast at level 14 is godsend, it hits like a truck & it's just so damn bulky with sand stream as Gigalith.
The problems are that it's super slow & it doesn't get much more than rock moves (until bulldoze at least) and it relies a lot on having sand stream to be anywhere near useful.
While Roggenrola and Boldore are available early, it's important to remember that not everyone has access to trades, which should hurt its availability a little bit.

Work Up? Calm Mind lategame? Baton Pass? Roost for sustain? You can boost with this thing and pass the boosts to a more capable teammate later on and the boosts really help it throughout the game, especially when it's relying on Acrobatics / Air Cutter for most of the earlygame to midgame.

And Teeter Dance I never used in my run with it and will never use on Oricorio, because it is far too unreliable to be worth it, especially with the apparent nerf to Confusion. Even if it was worth it, there are better options to consider.
Baton Pass is not very useful in-game, especially since so many pokemon can just learn Work Up themselves. Roost is good, but we were mostly talking about coverage, which Oricorio really, really lacks. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, but I think A tier is a stretch. I would be fine with B tier though.

I agree that Teeter Dance is bad - I basically never used it either. But it was still one of my Oricorio's moves known for a good chunk of the game because it didn't have better options.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While Roggenrola and Boldore are available early, it's important to remember that not everyone has access to trades, which should hurt its availability a little bit.
Typically we tier those cases separately. For example, Roggenrola (Trade) and Roggenrola (No trade).

Typically we tier those cases separately. For example, Roggenrola (Trade) and Roggenrola (No trade).
Ah, I read through the main post again before replying and I must have missed that. I did remember seeing discussion about non-trade Gengar because you can get it through SOS.

If that's the case, it simply means Trade should be tiered slightly higher than non-trade.

I think Slowpoke (Slowking) is way too high up because of how ridiculous getting a King's Rock during the main story is. You can only get it from Slowbro and Poliwhirl, both of which are rare SOS encounters (I grinded Poliwags in Malie Garden for an hour and only found two; I hear they're more common if it's raining, but I've never seen overworld Rain in Malie Garden). Then, they only have a 5% chance of holding it. While Slowking is awesome if you can get a King's Rock (or cheat and trade one in like I did), it's just such a pain to get that I think it should be in E.

I've made a list of some powerful potential Island Scan Pokemon you can catch early on with their egg moves, which greatly increases their potential.

Marill w/ Superpower and Aqua Jet
Cyndaquil w/ Flare Blitz, Thrash, Extrasensory
Totodile w/ Hydro Pump, Thrash, Ice Punch, Aqua Jet, Crunch
Chikorita w/ Leaf Storm
Deino w/ Dark Pulse, Head Smash
Horsea w/ Outrage, Muddy Water, Signal Beam, Dragon Rage, Splash
Litwick w/ Heat Wave
Bellsprout w/ Belch, Power Whip. Leech Life

Some of them get so many good Egg moves that it's very easy to have an advantage early on without time-consuming resetting.

edit: disregard that I catch Metapods.

Last edited:
I've made a list of some powerful potential Island Scan Pokemon you can catch early on with their egg moves, which greatly increases their potential.

Marill w/ Superpower and Aqua Jet
Cyndaquil w/ Flare Blitz, Thrash, Extrasensory
Totodile w/ Hydro Pump, Thrash, Ice Punch, Aqua Jet, Crunch
Chikorita w/ Leaf Storm
Deino w/ Dark Pulse, Head Smash
Horsea w/ Outrage, Muddy Water, Signal Beam, Dragon Rage, Splash
Litwick w/ Heat Wave
Bellsprout w/ Belch, Power Whip. Leech Life

Some of them get so many good Egg moves that it's very easy to have an advantage early on without time-consuming resetting.
I haven't verified myself, but serebii seems to imply that the egg moves are set:

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/qrscanner.shtml

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)