Sticky Sun/Moon Sprite Project

Around half of the official BW sprites use #101010 for the black outline; the other half uses #000000. I always use #101010 for the reasons that leparagon stated and because I feel like it looks nicer aesthetically. Also, Fomantis is too cute for words.
Wobblebuns nothing wrong, really. but i'm sure there's a good number of people who like to sprite on paint (like me), and when we copy a sprite onto it, transparency translates to pure black as well xD so it's hard to remove the black bg without removing the outlines too xD it's honestly not that big of a problem. i just prefer copy pasting instead of saving the file directly xD
Ah, figured. Then I think it'd be good to make it a habit to use #101010 for convenience's and aesthetics' sake!

Also, I'd like to reserve Mudbray. :)

leParagon

I'm still around, don't worry
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ah, figured. Then I think it'd be good to make it a habit to use #101010 for convenience's and aesthetics' sake!

Also, I'd like to reserve Mudbray. :)
but yeah, some official sprites use black 0 too. i really hate those ones xD lol. if i "have" to use a really low value of black, i make it 1 instead. lol

Here's Comfey!

This one was quite difficult. Due to color limits I changed the ring from green to blue so I wouldn't have to make a color specifically for it. I also changed the angle from the original artwork as I thought that might fit better as a sprite.

EDIT: Attempted to fix the colors.

Fixed the yellow and purple color.

EDIT: Lots of things.

Made green shade darker and bluer so it could double as the ring (and made it more than just one line). Made it slightly more vibrant by showing the pink flower more. Changed the angle.

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad

This one was quite difficult. Due to color limits I changed the ring from green to blue so I wouldn't have to make a color specifically for it. I also changed the angle from the original artwork as I thought that might fit better as a sprite.

I still feel that the colors should be much brighter, considering the palette here being rather light and cheerful. The current palette you have for yours looks almost as if its wilting ^^;.

i might reserve something but idk how good my spriting skills are on a phone so ill probably just pop in for crits.

I still feel that the colors should be much brighter, considering the palette here being rather light and cheerful. The current palette you have for yours looks almost as if its wilting ^^;.

i might reserve something but idk how good my spriting skills are on a phone so ill probably just pop in for crits.
The colors for the red flowers and the pokemon itself are already brighter than the official art. The yellow is duller in order to make the white part stand out more. Due to color limitations the purple was made duller so it could double as an outline for the flowers.

But I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
Here's Comfey!

Just a quick comment between homework assignments, but I feel if you widened the angle a bit to create more of a gap between the front/back flowers, the sprite would read a bit better. I'm thinking sort of a midpoint between the current sprite and the Sugi art would probably be the best angle, and would be easily editted by just dragging each of the frontal flowers over a few pixels. Also, the stem of the flower crown looks a bit odd as a single pixel line. Maybe try to do something with it like I did with Lunala's wing frames and it'd look better? looking good so far though, and major kudos for finishing both a front and a back so fast.

leParagon

Here's Comfey!

i was about to comment about the angle, but axl already mentioned it. the angle from Sugi art would be the best, i think. it allows for space for animation, and it's easier on the eyes.
since you're having trouble with color count, i suggest that you don't add a shade to Comfey's face anymore. leave it with just the base orange. use that orange as a shade for yellow flowers. orange and yellow could both use a brown outline to conserve colors. if you get *just* the right shade of red, you could get away with using the brown outline for the red flowers too :)

here's a sample circle i whipped up. it uses the yellow from your Comfey's flower and the orange from its face. i lightened the red a little bit (almost pink but not quite) and quickly got my own shade of brown to use for an outline. notice how it looks okay with all three colors?
sample.png
this way, you'll have more freedom to add blue. but like axl said, it looks a bit odd as a single line. try making it a double line. the one on the left being the blue line, the one on the right being the same color as the outline of the flower it's on, if that makes any sense.

also, maybe make the shade of green a little bit darker. it still blends with your base green a bit. and please try not to use pure 0 value black on sprites xD pom and i were talking to Wobblebuns about this earlier in the thread

and if you're having trouble with the size, maybe instead of scaling it to 52px height, maybe go for 55px (assuming you're gonna use official art pose instead)

Last edited:

My final edits for the Comfey sprite. So many color changes I can't even count, changed the angle, and fixed the ring to to have a slightly bluer color and not be just one line.

I know it's not perfect, but to be frank, Comfey is the epitome of frustrating to sprite. I do not want to touch it anymore. The 15 color limit in combination of the angle is killing me. :C

If someone is willing to try and fix this sprite, I will not mind. But I do want to get to other sprites and I am unwilling to do Comfey anymore.

leParagon

My final edits for the Comfey sprite. So many color changes I can't even count, changed the angle, and fixed the ring to to have a slightly bluer color and not be just one line.

I know it's not perfect, but to be frank, Comfey is the epitome of frustrating to sprite. I do not want to touch it anymore. The 15 color limit in combination of the angle is killing me. :C

If someone is willing to try and fix this sprite, I will not mind. But I do want to get to other sprites and I am unwilling to do Comfey anymore.
if Layell is cool with it, i wanna QC a bit on Comfey :D and no worries, i understand the frustration xD but you gotta admit, spriting something annoying can help at getting better :D

also for color counts, there are some programs that have a color counter :) i use Gimp for removing backgrounds and color counting, especially if my eyes are tired and i can't color count manually anymore. in case you have gimp, you just go to the Colors tab and there will be an Info option. under Info, you can check Colorcube Analysis and it shows you how many individual colors there are. not sure how other programs work, though. i'm used to gimp ^^

if Layell is cool with it, i wanna QC a bit on Comfey :D and no worries, i understand the frustration xD but you gotta admit, spriting something annoying can help at getting better :D

also for color counts, there are some programs that have a color counter :) i use Gimp for removing backgrounds and color counting, especially if my eyes are tired and i can't color count manually anymore. in case you have gimp, you just go to the Colors tab and there will be an Info option. under Info, you can check Colorcube Analysis and it shows you how many individual colors there are. not sure how other programs work, though. i'm used to gimp ^^
Sure thing! Also since I use MS Paint I use ezimba to color count and add transparency. :P

Last edited:
Like many of you, school starting up again has consumed much of my time to sprite, but I've been working on little bits and pieces whenever I can. So here's an update on A. Ninetales:

Updates include:
-More accurate 'hair' flow
-Smoothing out bad areas of shading
-Lightening the black outline and reducing the amount of black
-Making the tail much more prominent by focusing more on the folds of the tail rather than how it curls at the ends.

The main update to this is really about the Ninetales' tails, as I feel the previous versions of the tails were way to compact and not nearly defined enough. I also feel that the way the tails are positioned will now help me make the back sprite a bit easier. I've found great references for the back of A. Ninetales and have a decent outline made of the back. I'll be posting that update as soon as I can.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Like many of you, school starting up again has consumed much of my time to sprite, but I've been working on little bits and pieces whenever I can. So here's an update on A. Ninetales:

Updates include:
-Making the tail much more prominent by focusing more on the folds of the tail rather than how it curls at the ends.

The main update to this is really about the Ninetales' tails, as I feel the previous versions of the tails were way to compact and not nearly defined enough. I also feel that the way the tails are positioned will now help me make the back sprite a bit easier. I've found great references for the back of A. Ninetales and have a decent outline made of the back. I'll be posting that update as soon as I can.
Very nice! I think you almost got it with the tails. My only real complaint is that 3rd to bottom tail. I think if you make the end of that tail more of a midway point between the 2nd and 4th tail to make the transition more gradual, it would look even better. Maybe just showing a bit of the tail tip from that tail would be enough.

Updates include:

It looks good so far but I would recommend using a bit darker shadow for the body shading also, work a lil bit more on the head and try to make the lines on the legs a bit smoother, they look a bit rigid and stiff...I could try to fix some of those problems if i get allowed to do it.

Here's a quick update, based off of Typhlito's suggestions:

This also includes a new back sprite, with fixed hind legs. The curves on the tails need to be touched up, but this is at least starting to head down the right path.
It looks good so far but I would recommend using a bit darker shadow for the body shading also, work a lil bit more on the head and try to make the lines on the legs a bit smoother, they look a bit rigid and stiff...I could try to fix some of those problems if i get allowed to do it.
The head is actually the head from the B/W Ninetales sprite, but you're welcome to add any touch-ups you'd like! Sometimes it's easier for people from the outside looking in to fix things that I'm starting to become blatantly unaware of after staring at this thing for hours. You're by no means obligated to, but I appreciate it! :)

leParagon

yay :D youre back

also The Cynical Poet the head for Alolan Ninetales is actually slimmer and smoother than regular Ninetales :) the eyes are a bit larger too :) check one of the previous pages in this thread for Fish's Alolan Ninetales sprite

and sorry for the late update. actually made this last week
alola vulpix.png
but i wanted to upload it together with a fixed up Turtonator sprite, but i haven't been able to work on it yet. so i'm uploading it now instead. plus while i'm at it, i made an A. Rattata for deviantart, and i thought it would save us some trouble again if i leave it here :) it's open for quality control (especially on the lineart for the feet and legs on the backsprite because i think they look a bit iffy)
alolan rattata.png

Last edited:
jams
Alolan Sandslash.png

WIP of ASlash, not sure if I'll keep the ice the way it is currently, was inspired for the light patterns from the sugi art and kinda had fun with it a bit. Otherwise there's probably other stuff I could fix but I'm passing out rn so I'll go to sleep and check back in on it tomorrow morning.

Have a great labor day weekend everyone!

leParagon

jams
View attachment 68699
WIP of ASlash, not sure if I'll keep the ice the way it is currently, was inspired for the light patterns from the sugi art and kinda had fun with it a bit. Otherwise there's probably other stuff I could fix but I'm passing out rn so I'll go to sleep and check back in on it tomorrow morning.

Have a great labor day weekend everyone!
i like the pose, but i think the feet could be spread apart more, to make it look like it has a sturdier stance. and maybe move the right claw (right from our perspective) out a bit more so it doesn't look so scrunched up. other than that, it looks awesome!

also i just got to making a backsprite for Yungoos:
yungoos.png

also i fixed up Turtonator's spikes a bit before but i forgot to upload it. i'm trusting Pom when she said the head looks all right. just let me know if these aren't spiky enough xD
turtonator.png

also, quick question. do we need Zygarde sprites? like for all forms? i have some on DeviantArt and i could make backsprites for them in case you guys are all right with them. http://fav.me/d99f128
i plan on revamping 10% form btw. in case you guys are okay with using my Zygarde sprites, i'm open to any feedback on stuff i can refine

Last edited:
i like the pose, but i think the feet could be spread apart more, to make it look like it has a sturdier stance. and maybe move the right claw (right from our perspective) out a bit more so it doesn't look so scrunched up. other than that, it looks awesome!

also i just got to making a backsprite for Yungoos: View attachment 68710
also i fixed up Turtonator's spikes a bit before but i forgot to upload it. i'm trusting Pom when she said the head looks all right. just let me know if these aren't spiky enough xD View attachment 68717

also, quick question. do we need Zygarde sprites? like for all forms? i have some on DeviantArt and i could make backsprites for them in case you guys are all right with them. http://fav.me/d99f128
i plan on revamping 10% form btw. in case you guys are okay with using my Zygarde sprites, i'm open to any feedback on stuff i can refine
Zygarde 50% is already done from the previous project, but I don't think we have a doggarde and 100% yet, do if you post those we can probably do some quick QC to make sure they all match well and call it a day.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
aalso, quick question. do we need Zygarde sprites? like for all forms? i have some on DeviantArt and i could make backsprites for them in case you guys are all right with them. http://fav.me/d99f128
we require 10% and complete and they will be part of the sun/moon project, pom did that little zygote form but I think that is film only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)