Super Mystery Dungeon (Spoilers abound!)

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Should I buy this? Never really did a Mystery Dungeon game, but I'd like to do something Pokemon besides working on my Pokedex in AS. Thought this might as well be the best place to ask because it's the actual thread for it.
Yeah, it's a great game so you totally should :)

However, I think playing the Red/Blue Rescue Team versions, and then the Time/Darkness/Sky versions before would be nice, since those games basically define what mystery dungeon is, and because those are way more nostalgic and generally more fun.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Super Mystery Dungeon is a somewhat awkward entry point into the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series from the perspective of a Pokemon fan. This game edges closer the original Mystery Dungeon games (the non-Pokemon ones) as noted by bringing over wands from said games, and so it also tends to be more rough on the difficulty than the previous PMD games, punishing you more brutally for not maintaining solid item management especially late in the game. The previous games aren't necessarily easy either, but they're easier to get into and are generally more familiar as a Pokemon game.

Super Mystery Dungeon breaks from that gameplay mold quite a bit, but overall it's a very solid game. I actually think this is arguably the strongest entry in the series just because I liked the shift of focus and gameplay changes, but I also liked this game's story more than Explorers though so I'm an outlier in several respects. Regardless of whether you start with this one or the Rescue Team/Explorers though, you'll be playing a very good game.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Do the fresh apples do anything that regular apples don't? I don't think there's a difference in how much it fills up your belly (it might be an extra 8%, but I'm not sure).

Also, is it possible to know when one of your teammates is unavailable for a dungeon? It just seems so random and somewhat annoying, because despite being able to have set teams, most of the mons I use tend to be away at the same time.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
fresh apples just sell more than regular apples (100 vs 2), the effects are the same.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
A good strategy to do is sell fresh Apples and buy regular Apples from Kecleon. It saves money and gives you very nice cash while you find stuff like Gold Bars.

As far as I know, the pattern for locking out teammates is random, with higher level teammates having more of a chance of being locked out. It's a thing for the story so you don't abuse them I suppose, but it's really dumb when you're doing the post-game.

It just seems so random and somewhat annoying, because despite being able to have set teams, most of the mons I use tend to be away at the same time.
This, so much. I like to use teams from past games (Grovyle/Dusknoir/Celebi!) and theme teams (Sneasel/Murkrow/Zorua being one of my favourites), and it irks me to no end when one of the members is locked out, but the other two are good. But I think the reasoning behind it, and also the reasoning for seriously underleveling your starter/partner, is to force you to use a whole bunch of different Pokemon. But somehow, it just seems wrong to me to take anyone other than the two Pokemon I went through the story with when I'm going to get legends. It's like the game's saying "Oh, I see you've gotten attached to these two Pokemon. Now they're completely outmatched; here, have high-level mons handed to you without any backstory at all."

TPP

Head TD
This might be a dumb question, but does the Progress Device allow you to save normally and return to that save spot, or does it act like a quick save, where you can't go back to it? I figured it was more like the latter (quicksave) so I haven't bothered using it.

On a side note, I found out that the last mission completed actually gives you double the points, so if you do 2 mission, the 1st one worth 120, and the last one worth 150, you'll get 420 points when you clear the dungeon. Also, with moves powering up, that move gains the additional power + accuracy for any mon that knows it, so I've leveled up Double Kick a lot of my Monferno, and Keldeo's Double Kick gets the same boost.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
HelenTheHero: I'm a bit divided on the answer. PSMD is definitely more Mystery Dungeon-y than Pokemon-y, so it's a matter of your taste for roguelike mechanics.

Team Pokepals: It works like a regular save. :) But have someone else confirm, since I only needed to reload my save once in the game. The Move Leveling feature was apparently present in Gates to Infinity.

I've played a bit through post-game, mostly connecting with legendaries. Here are a few more of my thoughts:
  • The Dragon Gate dungeon was extremely fun because of all of the game-breaking emeras it gives you, so you don't have to be as resource-conservative. Also, I squeed when the game threw out Floor 21. :D Anyone who's played Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky and gotten to that point will know what I'm talking about.
  • Can Legendary Pokemon become motivated? Cobalion became motivated once, but I'm not if this applies to 'main' legendaries. Giratina became motivated, and that was cool. :D
  • I noticed a Kecleon Shop with multi-use TMs on the last floor of Bustling Valley. Is that coincidence or is it preset for the dungeon?
  • Don't forget to check Serene Village's cafe for Connections. Serebii's Pokemon Listings can be wrong--e.g., Typhlosion is in Serene Village, not Lively Town.

General gameplay suggestions I've noticed:
  • Multi-hit moves are powerful. Long-range moves are useful on teammates for extra DPT. The game becomes less difficult taking such things into consideration. Hoopa (Psybeam / Hyperspace Hole [or Hyperspace Fury]--and if you can get them, Shadow Ball / Focus Blast) is useful as extra firepower. Chespin is a strong starter due to access to Pin Missile and Rollout. I've made some other suggestions in the section below:
  • Wands are very useful for distracting bosses. A boss might recover from a status condition before the turn is up, but if you can get a status condition to stick for a turn, you can start stacking them, making the battle easier. I ended up beating the second-to-last storyline boss by spamming Slumber Wand, and mixing in Slumber Wand and Confuse Wand reduces damage for certain bosses. Be careful, though, about adding Truant Wand into the mix. A sleeping Pokemon with Truant can make your team drowsy, and your team can't recover as quickly from sleep as a boss.
  • Ally Reviver is an amazing emera. It's essentially an infinite source of Reviver Seeds for your teammates, and it trivializes several boss fights (so long as they don't have piercing/wide-range moves).
  • Always keep a Revive All Orb on hand. There will be dungeons where enemies will use Magic Room and stop Reviver Seeds from working. >__>
Incomplete list of multi-hit moves:
  • Fury Attack (2 - 5)
  • Fury Swipes (2 - 5)
  • Double Slap (2 - 5)
  • Comet Punch (2 - 5)
  • Double Hit (2)
  • Barrage (2 - 5)
  • Spike Cannon (2 - 5)
  • Thrash (2 - 3, confuses)
  • Petal Dance (2 - 3, confuses)
  • Bullet Seed (2 - 5)
  • Water Shuriken (2 - 5)
  • Icicle Spear (2 - 5)
  • Ice Ball (1 - 5)
  • Double Kick (2)
  • Triple Kick (3)
  • Arm Thrust (2 - 5)
  • Bone Rush (2 - 5)
  • Bonemerang (2)
  • Pin Missile (2 - 3)
  • Rollout (1 - 5)
  • Outrage (2 - 3, confuses)

Incomplete list of ranged moves:
  • Heal Pulse (4, status)
  • Feint (2)
  • Fake Out (2)
  • Quick Attack (2)
  • Extreme Speed (2)
  • Weather Ball (4, can change type)
  • Barrage (flies in arc)
  • Spike Cannon (4)
  • Hyper Beam (10, piercing, destroys tiles, recharges)
  • Techno Blast (4, can change type)
  • Transform (2, status)
  • Worry Seed (4, status)
  • Vine Whip (2)
  • Razor Leaf (4)
  • Bullet Seed (4)
  • Energy Ball (4)
  • Solar Beam (4, charges)
  • Leaf Storm (4, lowers stats)
  • Ember (2)
  • Flame Burst (4)
  • Flamethrower (4)
  • Bubble (4)
  • Water Gun (2)
  • Aqua Jet (4)
  • Bubble Beam (4)
  • Water Pulse (4)
  • Octazooka (4)
  • Hydro Pump (10, piercing)
  • Hydro Cannon (10, piercing)
  • Water Shuriken (2)
  • Zap Cannon (4)
  • Electrify (4, status)
  • Ice Shard (2)
  • Icy Wind (4)
  • Aurora Beam (4)
  • Ice Beam (4)
  • Mach Punch (2)
  • Vacuum Wave (2)
  • Aura Sphere (4)
  • Focus Blast (4)
  • Sludge Bomb (4)
  • Gunk Shot (4)
  • Dig (10, piercing, charge, giant Pokemon only)
  • Rototiller (status)
  • Drill Run (2)
  • Bonemerang (10, piercing)
  • Precipice Blades (4)
  • Sky Attack (10, piercing, charge)
  • Aeroblast (10, piercing)
  • Oblivion Wing (10, piercing)
  • Psybeam (4)
  • Mist Ball (4)
  • Psycho Boost (4)
  • Hyperspace Hole (4)
  • String Shot (4, status)
  • Pin Missile (4)
  • Twineedle (4)
  • Signal Beam (4)
  • Rock Wrecker (4, recharge)
  • Shadow Sneak (2)
  • Shadow Ball (4)
  • Shadow Force (10, piercing, charge)
  • Dragon Breath (4)
  • Outrage (10, piercing, giant Pokemon only)
  • Sucker Punch (2)
  • Hyperspace Fury (4)
  • Bullet Punch (2)

List of spread moves (sourced from here + Boomburst and status moves):
  • Growl (status)
  • Sweet Scent (status)
  • Acupressure (status)
  • Helping Hand (status)
  • Refresh (status)
  • Heal Bell (status)
  • Soft-Boiled (status)
  • Milk Drink (status)
  • Razor Wind (charge)
  • Teeter Dance (status)
  • Odor Sleuth (status)
  • Safeguard (status)
  • Uproar
  • Boomburst (damages all)
  • Judgment
  • Aromatherapy (status)
  • Spore (status)
  • Petal Blizzard
  • Frenzy Plant
  • Heat Wave
  • Blast Burn (recharge)
  • Sacred Fire
  • Blue Flare
  • Muddy Water (damages all)
  • Surf (damages all)
  • Discharge
  • Bolt Strike
  • Haze (status)
  • Blizzard
  • Glaciate
  • Ice Burn
  • Quick Guard (status)
  • Magnitude (damages all)
  • Earthquake (damages all)
  • Earth Power
  • Land's Wrath
  • Agility (status)
  • Reflect (status)
  • Light Screen (status)
  • Magic Coat (status)
  • Healing Wish (status)
  • Lunar Dance (status)
  • Silver Wind
  • Wide Guard (status)
  • Ominous Wind
  • Draco Meteor (lowers stats)
  • Roar of Time (recharge)
  • Spacial Rend
  • Memento (status)
  • Dark Void (status)
  • Moonlight (status)

Pokemon suggestions that don't require that much stat or tutoring investment:
  • Smeargle can learn any move from a non-giant Pokemon, and with stat boosts, it can be tailored to your needs. Given that it comes with Technician, though, something like Spike Cannon (or Barrage, which is multi-hit) / Water Shuriken / Bullet Seed / Pin Missile makes for an incredible amount of multi-hit damage from a distance.
  • Cinccino also is a master of multi-hit moves what with Technician and its natural movepool of Double Slap / Tail Slap / Bullet Seed / Rock Blast.
  • Omastar has a nice mix of multi-hit moves and ranged moves, such as Rollout / Spike Cannon / Rock Blast / Hydro Pump.
  • Octillery is also designed for ranged moves; it gets Bullet Seed / Signal Beam / Psybeam / Ice Beam / Hydro Pump, and it also gets Rock Blast as a non-ranged multi-hit move.
  • Clauncher and Clawitzer get boosts to pulse moves through Mega Launcher, so you can get extra damage on Water Pulse and Aura Sphere.
  • In general, Water-type Pokemon have a nice ranged moveset. You can probably stick Bubble Beam/Water Pulse/Ice Beam/Hydro Pump on a bunch of them. I did that for Vaporeon, at least. :P In addition, you can stick Rain Dance on some of them for a very noticeable increase in damage. Fully-evolved Water-type starters can learn Hydro Cannon if you want Hydro Pump+.
  • Likewise, Fire-type Pokemon have Ember / Flame Burst / Flamethrower / Heat Wave / Sacred Fire for ranged options, and they can run Sunny Day for an increase in damage. Fully-evolved Fire-type starters can also learn Blast Burn as Heat Wave+. The Cyndaquil and Tepig line also come with Defense Curl/Rollout if you want to stick with starters.
  • Rotom-Frost comes naturally with four spread moves: Discharge / Ominous Wind / Uproar / Blizzard.
  • Rotom (normal) also has Discharge / Ominous Wind / Uproar, but it can pass through walls if you have strategies for that.
  • Darkrai is quite useful for hampering enemies with Dark Void / Nightmare / Ominous Wind / Disable. He can also pass through walls if you're in an emergency.
  • Articuno's Mind Reader + Sheer Cold works. :) Except on bosses.

Some things I did for particular legendary boss fights:
  • Articuno/Kyurem/Kyurem-W: I brought Mawile, Bisharp, and Heatran, making sure that Mawile has Intimidate, not Hyper Cutter. Mawile and Bisharp can spam Iron Head to try getting the boss to Flinch, and Heatran can use Iron Head or Lava Plume.
  • Moltres: I brought Rhyperior/Tyranitar/Omastar. Tyranitar's Sand Stream makes Rock-types resilient against Moltres's special attacks, and then I could use Rock Blast and Thrash (w/ Persim Looplet) pretty much recklessly.
  • Zapdos: Yellow Point had the Ally Reviver emera, so I didn't need to worry so much about its attacks. Bring a Ground-type leader to be immune to Zap Cannon and Thunderbolt. Have your teammates use physical attacks, as Zapdos's Charge raises its special defense.
  • Darkrai: Bring a sleep-immune Pokemon or the Sleep Guard/Berry Power emera to avoid Dark Void/Nightmare. I don't remember if Darkrai had a direct attacking move. It might've been Ominous Wind, which it didn't use because I had Normal-types in my team.
  • Zekrom/Reshiram: I didn't really have a good strategy for this one. I had a teammate spam Quick Guard, a teammate spam Wide Guard, and the Ghost-type leader use Curse, all while I relied on a stack of 10+ Reviver Seeds for when the bosses breached the Guards. After I beat them, I wondered if making them both Confused would work, so they might attack each other?
  • Giratina (the actual one): Use a Pounce Wand to dodge or Truant Wand to interrupt Giratina's Shadow Force. Also, the Wigglytuff line is immune to its STABs, only having to fear Earth Power, and it can simply use Disable or a Ban Seed to get rid of that.
  • Ho-Oh: I used Reshiram, Heatran, and Houndoom. Ho-Oh's has Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Sacred Fire, and Ancient Power, so a team of Flash Fire Pokemon would be immune if I Imprison Ancient Power, which is what Reshiram is for. (I know, you can throw a Ban Seed or play keep-away, given that Ancient Power is short-range. That works, too.) Also, Reshiram makes Ho-Oh use Sacred Fire, so teammates get the Flash Fire boost. Ho-Oh will also use Sunny Day, further increasing Fire-type attacks' power. Then, in an alliance, damage matchups are nullified, further increasing damage. Keep a few Reviver Seeds for Reshiram and use alliances of Imprison (every so often)/Fusion Flare + Heat Wave + Flamethrower.
    Vivillon's Powder might be fun--that's another way to avoid Sacred Fire and such.
  • Mewtwo: I used just Spiritomb with Curse / Ominous Wind / Shadow Ball / Dark Pulse. Bring 5 Oran Berries, maybe 10 in case the RNG is bad. Wave a Truant Wand first turn to get rid of Pressure. Use Curse on Mewtwo once per 'life' and use your filler moves to whittle its HP. Use an Oran Berry once <= 5 HP and repeat. Throw a Ban Seed at Mewtwo when it uses Recover. You don't have to use another Ban Seed during the second stage of the fight.
  • Kyogre: Water Absorb/Storm Drain/Dry Skin Pokemon seem to be the key to victory. I brought Maractus for Bullet Seed + Pin Missile and Parasect for far-range Spore. I also brought Shedinja for possible Ally Reviver shenanigans, but I didn't need it. Apparently, all Kyogre has are Water-type moves, because it used its default attack.
  • Groudon: I brought a team of all-levitating Pokemon. Use a Truant Wand or Pokemon with Cloud Nine/Air Lock to remove Desolate Land if you don't want full-power Eruptions. I used Rayquaza, but he was pretty frail, so I'd suggest another Pokemon.
I didn't have as much planning for Cobalion, the Regis, Lugia, and Rayquaza and co. other than bringing out powerful teammates and following the more general guidelines above.

Comments about certain endgame dungeons:
  • Destiny Tower: Apparently, the game either expects you to use stat-boosting items or to prolifically rely on the Ally Reviver emera. I went with the latter and found an Ally Reviver emera on floor one (I don't expect this tactic to be viable :U). I then hoarded every Emera-Up Orb and Lucky Charm emera I could find to keep a trap from destroying it. I didn't exactly need a particular team, but what I had to try to maximize DPT was:
    Cinccino @ Satiated Looplet
    Ability: Technician
    - Double Slap
    - Tail Slap
    - Rock Blast
    - Bullet Seed
    Octillery @ Persim Looplet
    Ability: Sniper
    - Rock Blast
    - Bullet Seed
    - Psybeam
    - Hydro Pump
    Azumarill @ Persim Looplet
    Ability: Huge Power
    - Rain Dance
    - Rollout
    - Bubble Beam
    - Hydro Pump
  • Level 5 dungeons: You can bring the Djinn's Bottle to dungeons that lower your level, letting Hoopa OHKO everything. Those dungeons are all optional, of course, but hey, if you're going for completion, that's a way to mostly-safely get through most of them.
  • Sacred Ruins: I brought Rotom as my sole Pokemon. It has great choices for starting moves--by which I mean Charge + Discharge. It gets Uproar at level 8, which is useful for extra damage. If you don't get at least Discharge in your movepool, you can restart--the starting moves are randomly selected from the Pokemon's starting moves. It's a special attacker, so it's unfazed by Growl, and as it's a Ghost-type, it's immune to the Normal-type attacks that plague the early dungeon. In addition, Rotom can float across water and cut across corners and, if needed, phase into walls, allowing you to get an extra turn or hide from scary enemies.

Re: Team Pokepals:

My treasure list thus far:

Ancient Treasures
  • Wildfire Looplet
  • Tempest Looplet
  • Radiance Looplet
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???
  • Blue Looplet
The Never Hungries'
  • ???
  • ???
  • Big Belly Looplet
  • ???
The Eight Treasures
  • Water Looplet
  • Air Looplet
  • Grass Looplet
  • ???
  • Sand Looplet
  • ???
  • ???
  • Wind Looplet
Golden Items:
  • ???
  • Golden Fossil
  • ???
  • Golden Banana
  • Golden Apple
I don't have any particular training spot. I've found that simply taking higher-level teams into tough dungeons gives enough experience for everyone.

Last edited:

TPP

Head TD
To add on to the legendaries list:

Mewtwo is a bitch, and he's able to 1HKO basically everything with Aura Sphere and Psyshock. Shedinja's immune so that's why he's able to work.

Regis/Triangle Temple: I have a Monferno starter, but I also brought Cobalion and Heatran. Any other fighting type can be used in place of Monferno, so Terrakion could also work. It's pretty straight forward, with Regirock, Regice, and Registeel appearing on floors 3, 6, and 9 respectively. Regigigas isn't hard, and Cofagrigus actually has some looplet that ignores the holders ability, which is pretty awesome for Regigigas. After beating this place, you'll have access to the dungeon that leads to Diancie, but it's pretty hard and I haven't cleared it yet (Lucario just bops me with Aura Sphere).

Heatran is found along the way when you go to Volcano Island to meet up with Entei. Getting Entei unlocks the dungeon for Raikou, but that one's really hard too.

Also, Quanyails how many treasures do you have?

I recently reached the Ace Rank, but I'm still a level 32 Monferno, which I find hilarious. Also, does anyone know any good spots for leveling up?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
  • Ally Reviver is an amazing emera. It's essentially an infinite source of Reviver Seeds for your teammates, and it trivializes several boss fights (so long as they don't have piercing/wide-range moves).
  • Always keep a Revive All Orb on hand. There will be dungeons where enemies will use Magic Room and stop Reviver Seeds from working. >__>
Having 100% the game by now (unless Meowth Theater counts for anything), I actually never encountered Magic Room, but I'd agree that having a Revive All Orb is always useful even if just to save a few Reviver Seeds. Ally Reviver is also the most broken thing, if you get that in a dungeon you've basically won. In contrast, Dragon Gate was literally not happening as early as I did it if not for that emera (8 Reviver Seeds alone were not going to save me from that). Watching my partners take 300 damage from Dragon Ascent repeatedly only to be revived every time was not a pretty sight though.

In terms of levels though, I never felt the need to go and level grind. Just doing Connection Orb missions and going for other dungeons will get you to a high enough level eventually. Hidden Cave gives huge amounts of money though, but at the cost of being a relatively hard dungeon, and I've heard Super Apple Forest is good for farming gold bars for the incredibly valuable stat boosters from Cofagrigus. Those stat boosters have been far more influential than the fact that my main party of Blaziken/Sceptile/Rayquaza is level 80+, at any rate.

TPP

Head TD
I can't even get out of the 30s lol. I've been using a bunch of stat boosting drugs on my starter, and I wanna know if irks worth spending a lot of gold bars on them or something else at Cofagrigus's shop. What's the best thing to buy from him? I got like 180 gold bars atm, so I can buy anything.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Lol ditch your starter already if you haven't. You will do much better if you start grinding with the power mons - higher level pseudos, legendaries, and late mon evolutions. I raised mine to 36, made the final evo because the overworld Braixen was annoying me, and stopped using him.

One thing I've found, even though I don't know how it triggers (presumably by increasing rank), is the fact that every single Pokemon you have in Connection Orbs levels up at a steady rate, even if you've never used it. My level 25 Lucario partner that I stopped using a while back was level 35 when I last checked, and the lowest leveled Pokemon I had, Goomy, went from level 23 to level 29. This bridges the gap between many mons that got shafted with low levels and the aforementioned power mons. Thus, it is incredibly useful as later dungeons become harder in difficulty and many of your highest level Pokemon are locked away, providing reasonable back up.

I'd probably keep a stack of Gold Bars for Reviver Seed farming, and focus on the stat enhancers, which make or break it later on in the game. Get TMs you might deem useful on Pokemon with lackluster "remember" movesets or sell the gold bars for cash and use Hawlucha's move tutor. You have an abundance of them so it gives you a lot of leeway.

Thanks for the tips involving Revive All Orbs and the rare Emeras to look out for. Up to now I've just been relying on high level Pokemon, spread moves, and the Truant Wand being absolutely amazing, so I'll assume I need those later. Additionally, the normal Progress Device works as a regular save but leaves you with little or no items. Just get the Progress Device S if you want a fail-safe that doesn't bite you in the ass.

Reactions: TPP
So, I'm wondering, is PSMD worth buying? I've seen reviews where the reviewer admits they hate PMD games, and any other good reviews never compare the game to the other PMD games.

TPP

Head TD
So, I'm wondering, is PSMD worth buying? I've seen reviews where the reviewer admits they hate PMD games, and any other good reviews never compare the game to the other PMD games.
If you've played the 1st 2 PMD games (Red/Blue and Time/Dark/Sky) and enjoyed them (especially for their plot) then you'll like PSMD. It's got a really good plot story, there's a lot of references to mons from the previous game, including Team ACT (Alakazam-Charizard-Tyranitar) from Red/Blue, and The Guild Members from Time/Dark/Sky. It's a bit different thanks to Gates to Infinity with the moves leveling up system, but it's still pretty cool no doubt. Leveling up is stupid because it's extremely slow, the floors feel longer so you're forced to actually bring Elixirs, but overall it's pretty fun.

Pros
  • Deep Plot
  • References to Previous Games
  • It's not Gates to Infinity
  • The Save System lets you go back to your last save spot when you lose in a dungeon, meaning you can "go back in time" and not lose anything
  • Nice graphics

Cons
  • This game is really hard (It's possible to lose in nearly every dungeon if you're not careful)
  • The dungeons don't feel memorable with the mons in them and the music. In previous games (namely the 1st 2 games with Red/Blue and Time/Dark/Sky), a lot of people including myself basically have dungeons memorized in terms of how many floors, what mons to expect, and the theme song for that dungeon. There's really none of that barring the floor count in this game.
  • Story starts out pretty slow, and post game is pretty much you doing whatever you want.
  • "Attack" or clicking the A button now does a set 5 damage instead of being based on your attack stat like it was in previous games.
  • You're probably gonna end up with a half broken L button like me, or exhaust the R button as well. You need L + A to perform any move, and you're gonna go for 3+ moves each floor at the bare minimum, so be wary of that.
That's all I got for now, and I'm pretty sure I missed some stuff, so hopefully others can get whatever I missed.

Well, I only ever played Blue Rescue Team, and that was when I was a kid. Not to mention my L Button is already slightly broken (It still works, but it clicks and feels odd sometimes), so I won't get PSMD. Thanks for telling me all this stuff about it, btw,

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Anyone know the difference between Give Up and go back to the last save point? Haven't found anything online other than "the boss stays with the HP you left it at if you give up" and, while it seems like a nice trade off to losing all your items and money, I'm having trouble believing.

Hey, guys I figure this website could appreciate my brilliance as opposed to the first website I put it on which hasn't even had a single reply to it since Friday which was my post. <_<

PSA if you buy something from a Kecleon dungeon shop and have not paid for it yet, DO NOT use a tunneling wand to leave the room before paying for the items, the game will think you're trying to steal from the shop for no reason and next thing you know you have a 500 + HP Kecleon hunting you down with more goons following you and spawning every 3 turns.

I only survived the above because I had quite a few blast and reviver seeds on me allowing to spam them while the shop keeper was confused. BTW Kecleon shop keepers can now be effected with status conditions with stuff like blinker seeds which are the only reason I beat it, also that one Pure seed I accidentally stole really helped.

I have one spoiler free tip for everyone still going through the game FOR THE LOVE OF ARCEUS STOCK UP ON REVIVER SEEDS! The post game dungeons are pretty hard to the point where I basically didn't play the dungeons so much as cheaped out on them and spammed guiding wands (they locate the stairs) and tunneling wands just to finish them. *Note I am a veteran of PMD 1-2-2.5 that knows the true value of throwing objects in those games and was basically a near god in them with max IQ Swampert + tight belt* (swampert had an ability that allowed you to move through walls and break them but removed 1 point of belly for each wall block remove and tight belt prevented you from losing belly points naturally*

Spoilered as it's a long list.
Here is a list of the things you should stock up on as they are not as common later on in the game:
Reviver seeds *post game you'll be lucky to find 2 per 15 floor dungeon* Post game dungeons can have you easily go through 5 of them in one go.
apples *post game dungeons do not believe in providing you with food to the point where you're lucky if you can*

Elixir *see apples*

Warp Wands these are super helpful for when you have a boss that's getting too close to you so you wave it and oh, look sniping time! : D They are uncommon in post game dungeons, but monster houses post game are ridiculous and teleporting away 2-3 in a crowd for one turn does NOT hurt.

Silver spikes, Iron Spikes, wooden spikes, anything stick or rock like that you can throw and deal damage with. Rocks do about 20 damage and can go over walls and be lobbed by your party if you register them in the bag. Spikes have a really good rage, (note I don't know the exact number of tiles but it's shorter than other PMD games) and deal a solid 40+ damage to whoever they hit. If you get these early game HOLD ONTO THEM FOR THE FINAL BOSS, then spam them you will know when that is when you get there.

Blast seeds, originally a fun early game gimmick in PMD 1-2 that dealt about 20-30 damage if you ate or threw them now deal 75 damage if you throw them at an opponent or 100 damage if you eat them, like spikes save them for the final boss and bosses in general. BUY THESE WHENEVER YOU CAN.

Petrify orbs, these are pretty rare at any point in the game, but basically trivialize monster houses, they immobilize every enemy pokemon in the room until you damage them, it's sort of like facing an army and pressing the pause button on each opponent until you already are kicking them on the ground. BUY THESE WHEN YOU CAN. I cannot say this enough post game monster houses are horrible and even then if you use the petrify orb you will still likely take some damage while you're trying to kill some of the opponents.

QUICK ORBS, Dodge all orbs, and another orb that gives your entire team a big boost. Half way through the game bosses become immune to status conditions minus the traunt wand (that helps a lot as well) to the point where if you use something like say a blinker seed on them you will have wasted a turn because the effect lasts for 0-1 turn and then they heal it off like it was never there. This is a new mechanic to the game that I do like as it makes bosses harder to beat. The only thing you can do against bosses half way through the game on is spam blast seeds and damaging throwables at them and boost your party like you're prepairing your buffs for a boss in an MMO.

The best part of the game is a one off line that I don't think should be spoilered as it's not relevant to the plot but, I guess it's a spoiler for a joke?
When the Pokemon class is being taught about evolution the teacher says "and you may notice...." *teacher gets interrupted and you never hear the ending of that line*......then I realized evolution is..........Pokemon puberty, my feelings can only be described in the following image X M theory, the theoretical number that is higher than infinity.
the goggles they do nothing 1.jpg

Also the following contains no spoilers asides from what you'll feel in the game.

On a scale of 1-Angel Beats *abbreviated "AB"* (insert crying image here) The game pretty much goes like this chronologically 1-1-6-3-4*end game as of the following number* 8 *post game* 6-7-5

Can't understand that reference to an awesome anime? Ok then, without discussing the plot it is not as sad as PMD 1-2 but it is pretty sad and I actually cried, however if they release a second edition of the game (LIKE THEY SHOULD) I would not cry, unlike PMD2 where I cried when I completed Explorers of Sky when it came out, ages after I finished Explorers of Darkness despite me knowing what was going to happen. The feels are real in this game though they are NOT as bad as the previous games. *note I never played Gates of Infinity as I didn't have the money and I heard that it sucked a lot by the time I remotely had the money*
[/hide]

Last edited:
Reactions: JES

TPP

Head TD
Whoever asks if Legendaries get motivated, I can confirm that since my Entei was motivated and helped me take down Articuno (Sacred Fire is insanely good as it hits the whole room like Heat Wave). On a side note, I finally defeated Mewtwo and it took forever (I relied on Shedinja + Shuppet + Banette with the latter 2 using Curse to give Mewtwo 576 each time with it).

I finally got my Infernape, and I was scared when I forgot Double Kick (an egg move) for Close Combat, since I went to Remember from Hawlucha and it didn't show up. However, my egg moves were under the Tutor moves like Thunderpunch, Gunk Shot, etc., and I noticed that other starters like Froakie will have their egg moves at the very end like my starters did for that Tutor section.

I can also confirm what Blitzamirin said regarding with other mons you don't use leveling up (I randomly have a level 51 Unown I got from way early in the game). Sylveon was 19 or so when we get it in the beginning and now it's like 40+.

I miss the IQ and Gummi system :(

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Looplets and Emeras basically replace IQs and have a lot of skills from them (Intimidator, PP Restore, Natural Recovery, [[Insert Status Here]] Guard) anyways. Stuff like Bodyguard and nullifying damage is also natural. I like that as all Pokemon have access to these over the specific IQ groups. Gummis were awesome though.

For the leveling up, I've since discovered that everything levels up relative to the EXP you gain (if you kill a Pokemon for 100 EXP, all of your currently connected mons get those 100 EXP). It's very helpful as, even though level grinding is hell in this game, you don't have to rotate parties or get stuck in an abysmally low level with locked away Pokemon. So it's basically connect with high level Pokemon = start levelling them up sooner.

Oh, and abuse Recycle with Plain Seeds. It allows you to get some very coveted seeds and they are useless after you waste the Reviver Seed anyways. Ban Seed in particular is of note as it is rare and it allows you to seal away a bosses' move for the remainder of the battle, removing shit like Dragon Ascent and Recover out of the picture.

Looplets and Emeras basically replace IQs and have a lot of skills from them (Intimidator, PP Restore, Natural Recovery, [[Insert Status Here]] Guard) anyways. Stuff like Bodyguard and nullifying damage is also natural. I like that as all Pokemon have access to these over the specific IQ groups. Gummis were awesome though.

For the leveling up, I've since discovered that everything levels up relative to the EXP you gain (if you kill a Pokemon for 100 EXP, all of your currently connected mons get those 100 EXP). It's very helpful as, even though level grinding is hell in this game, you don't have to rotate parties or get stuck in an abysmally low level with locked away Pokemon. So it's basically connect with high level Pokemon = start levelling them up sooner.

Oh, and abuse Recycle with Plain Seeds. It allows you to get some very coveted seeds and they are useless after you waste the Reviver Seed anyways. Ban Seed in particular is of note as it is rare and it allows you to seal away a bosses' move for the remainder of the battle, removing shit like Dragon Ascent and Recover out of the picture.
Thank you for the tip, and here is every pokemon that can get recycle according to serebii's movedex XY.

And as for EXP I figured out how to make a killing on EXP, take a Heatran, with Heat Wave and Earth Power and 2 charizards also with Heat Wave to the dungeon with Genesect and on the last floor stay near the stairs and once you're done using heat wave on all 5 or so Genesect that appear hold A and B for a few and then walk with in about 6 tiles of the stairs until whatever it is gets triggered and spawns 5 more genesect, where you will then use Eath Power and Heat Wave again to kill them all and repeat. I would have done this more on my first run of the dungeon but I was out of elixir and was running low on hunger. Seriously it's 500 EXP for about 20 seconds of work.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
Battle Stadium Head
So I finished connecting with all Pokemon except the last one and I'm slowly tackling the treasures as I go along.

Psynergy Tips on how to tackle Destiny Tower?
Definitely buff up stats for your primary dungeon party before heading in, especially Speed. Investing in a PP Up Drink or two to give a boost to important moves is also not a bad idea, each drink increases the PP by 2. Item use can be doubled by throwing them at your teammates with Water Looplet equipped if you haven't come across that idea yet, which is nice for the expensive drinks. As with all pierce throws though, missing can be a concern. That's really the most important part because the Pokemon in there are strong.

Beyond that, the usual item management stuff is as important as always. Revive All Orbs are way more nice to have along just in case but I never ran into issues requiring it. The dungeon changes things up as you progress and the beginning is more intimidating than some of the later sections, because there's tons of Discharge users at the start. Elixirs are also especially important, though I don't think you'll notice a huge shortage of them in the dungeon. Bringing an Emera-Up Orb is also not a bad call but you will see plenty of them as you go through, I managed to get Wind Looplet's one slot up to 8 surprisingly fast. I haven't touched the game in awhile but to give a reference after coming out of that dungeon, this was the party I ran with for Destiny Tower. Stats are obviously slightly higher than they were when I first went in.

Blaziken @ Air Looplet
HP: 200
Attack: 175
Sp. Atk: 174
Defense: 142
Sp. Def: 149
Speed: 152
- Heat Wave
- Focus Blast
- Sky Uppercut
- Blaze Kick

Heat Wave on anything that gets it is godly. Focus Blast, despite accuracy, was really good for a ranged nuke when I wanted to save Heat Wave PP. Sky Uppercut and Blaze Kick were mainly for close range moves with high PP. Double Kick probably does more but Sky Uppercut had plenty of investment by the time I thought of it. Air Looplet was mainly for the nice 7 slots and berserk immunity in cases where I went Mega. Definitely consider this Looplet if you're running something with a Mega.

Sceptile @ Mist Looplet
HP: 199
Attack: 162
Sp. Atk: 168
Defense: 139
Sp. Def: 145
Speed: 150
- Leaf Blade
- Agility
- Dual Chop
- Energy Ball

This was the weakest member honestly, but Agility and ranged Energy Ball made up for it. Dual Chop does really nice damage and Leaf Blade was just a close range attack. Mist Looplet was great for saving PP at times, it really adds up in a long dungeon like this.

Rayquaza @ Wind Looplet
HP: 203
Attack: 183
Sp. Atk: 180
Defense: 146
Sp. Def: 153
Speed: 158
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Ascent

Rayquaza puts in so much work and negating that ugly hail and sand damage really worked out for me. These moves look kind of risky but Wind Looplet grants complete immunity to all status and stat drops so all of these moves became very spammable. Outrage is a 10 range piercing attack when used by a gigantic Pokemon (instead of a 2-3 hit front attack) so this was beautiful for cleaning hallways, especially with the 3 wide range by virtue of being gigantic. Draco Meteor was basically a stronger Heat Wave, so Blaziken and Ray nuked monster houses into oblivion. Extreme Speed was honestly kind of bad because it has Focus Blast tier accuracy for some reason? It was mainly filler though. Dragon Ascent has a huge front area range so that was also amazing for clearing mobs of enemies.

Even with these stats though, enemies are doing heavy damage so it's not to be taken lightly. Overall it's an endurance test more than anything though, but every bit of preparation helps.

TPP

Head TD
So atm, I have like 250 Gold Bars, and I've used some to boost my attack and my partner's attack/special attack via Protein and Calcium. Do you recommend spending 100+ Gold Bars to power up my mons more? My Infernape currently has about 120 attack (150+ with the Wildfire Looplet) and my Sceptile has 118 Special Attack. How many Gold Bars would you recommend keeping?

Also, I realized you can trade in 100 of an item for a Gold Bar, so go get rid of Gravelrocks for a Gold Bar :)

Have you guys noticed that around some TM's, there's a rainbow type glow around the CD image? Does anyone know what that means?

Psynergy how did you get so much HP, and how do the power drinks and the other drinks work out? I got a couple but don't know how they work out. Also, does the Sitrus Berry work like it did in previous games and boost your HP by 2 permanently, or is there another item that does that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)