Format Discussion Super Staff Bros 4 Discussion Thread

you think you're fancy, i got downgraded from A- to C without any nerfs :swole:
Nah, it's just a different person making the tier list, and I think they placed you unfairly low. Toxicing literally everything, being generally very hard to kill, and the chance to set up webs are all incredible traits. The main strat with Finland is to just keep on switching form until you get the Mint form then set up webs and parting shot out. With that being said, even without webs, corrosive toxic + huge bulk is incredibly hard to deal with without magic bounce/magic guard. It's a large part of why Weezing was so good last gen.

aQrator

Have a good day!
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Don't take it too personally, I probably misjudge quite some players just from a difference in playstyle. I personally think the randomness of finland, or maybe my lack of knowledge on it, let me to rate it lower than it may actually be. Also, I think the free switches to strong mons are very valuable in this meta, hence me rating the tanky teleporters higher than others

So I've been meaning to ask this for a while because I thought it might be an interesting point of conversation, especially considering the inspiration for Staff Bros has sort of made a name for itself in introducing new stuff within certain lots of time. Is the cast of 120 Pokémon we have now meant to be a fixed number, as in, is the plan for new sets to only ever be introduced if there's ever the need to repopulate the slot of a staff member which is no longer in power?

Just out of curiosity.

yuki

Huh? Me? Not this time...
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8superstaffbros4-1275861136 Yuki sweep

The buffs helped a lot, once you get a good form you're incredible strong and fast, and the buffs make it significantly easier to achieve a good form.
Yeah that was the intention of changing up the classes and adding Agility to Cadet. I genuinely hadn't seen it work until now because there was still an RNG element but it's good to see it. I guess it's a case of: if they can't KO me after a Class Change and I pull a good class, good luck.

Alright we're doing this in 2 waves for ease of access (dev wise):
They are in.

Buffs:
Notater517: Last Minute Lag: User no longer recharges if the opponent is killed. | Toxic Spikes -> Toxic Spikes/Recover

INStruct: Soda Break -> Fake Out. | Heavy Duty Boots -> Soda Pop | Z-Move: Satanic Panic: User and the opponent's active pokemon switch sides, both get forced out afterwards.

Kipkluif: Kip Up: Now endures, among what it already does

LittEleven: /nexthunt: now gives +2 to the receiving pokemon

Hydro: Alolachu stats | Hydrostatics: 75 bp. Water type with Electric effectiveness added

Emeri: Draco Voice -> Drake Skin: Dragon type aerilate

Jho: Venomize: now a poison type aerilate

Cake: Ingrain -> Life Dew

Yuki: too much to list, but tl;dr a lot of movesets got a lot of buffs

Nerfs:
Aelita: Rest, Sleep talk -> Leech Seed, Protect

KingSwordYT: Bamboo Kingdom: Pokemon using physical moves against this Pokemon now lose 1/16 of their maximum HP.

Andrew: new moveset: Moongeist Beam, Trick, Pollen Puff, Whammer Jammer
Now that I finally finished playing enough games with all the updated sets, I can finally comment on them one at a time.

Notater517: The two changes made to Notater give it some much needed consistency that it had been lacking for a while. Recover now being the preffered set, it's now much harder to propperly revenge kill and wear down, definetly a solid improvement overall.

INStruct: While Soda Break was conceptually powerful it had the unfortunate drawback of having very little impact overall. Not always was it possible to mark a bunch of targets at once, and even if it managed to capitalize on it and halve the enemy team's health pool, it often wouldn't matter, as the overall lack of strong priority moves made that job difficult. With its new Z move, INStruct is more impactful than ever, albeit easier to counteract. I sort of feel like it's lost a bit of its identity, but that's just me.

LittEleven: Wasn't aware that Litt required a buff, but it certainly got one, boy howdy did it get one. Now, Litt's 50/50s are more deadly than ever, making a pokemon either lose a crucial item, straight up die, or giving a mon +2 on its highest stat, which mpre often than not, equals a sweep. Still fairly frail but having the third strongest priority move in the metagame helps.

Hydro: Speaking of priority, here's the second strongest priority user with a very helpful set of buffs. Hydro is more capable than ever to sweep, being able to kill high priority targets even at +0, as well as straight up beating stronger priority users which it would normally die to such as Seso.

Kipkluiff: Now with the ability to stop most, if not all Physical sweepers, Kip can actually run its game, limited as it may still be. Its dangerous disposition makes it an ideal predator that on a good day, can even take down unsurmountable challengers like Blaz, Seso, Buffy and Jett, if played correctly.

Emeri and Jho: The power up to 180 bp on each of their respective Boombursts would have impacted them in the same way if it wasn't for how Poison and Dragon differ in how valuable their damage is. Emeri is much stronger, Jho is a little stronger. Emeri's problem was stopping power, Jho's was coverage AND stopping power.

Cake: A welcome change but Cake plays basically the same :/

Yuki: New moves for old forms make you less likely to wind up rolling a dud when looking for something specific. Having the ability to actually sweep now thanks to a free Agility doesn't hurt either. Great changes overall while still relying on RNG to provide maximum returns.

KingSwordYT: Things are basically the same for ol King, just as effective as ever if a bit less punishing to run into with a physical attack. Still by far the best Anti Ghost tank in the game.

Andrew: Very impactful nerf, if a little hard to notice at first, Can get Pp stalled easier, no fairy and fighting coverage. Predictions are less rewarding all around and that's just perfect. The mighty have fallen, albeit not too far, it is still by far one of the best Sweepers out there.

Wave 2 is now live!

new stuff

Buffs:
tiki: right on cue: Has more moves to choose from, and now uses 1-5 of them.
thewaffleman: Cotton guard over Iron Defense
ptoad: croak: now rolls 2 boosts before attacking, but stops getting buffs after 8 positive boosts
coconut: Devolution Beam: If the opponent cannot devolve, then the opponent gets -1 in all stats bar acc/eva
alpha: Blistering Ice Age: 190 BP and special, allows Alpha to get the ability ice age so Heavy Hailstorm is permanent while this Pokemon is out.
Gimmick: Ability is now a true echoed voice. Now has Unburden innate.
Trickster: Soul Shattering Stare: Cost to curse now 25% of max HP.
Nol: Trick Room is now Giga Drain, Mad Hacks: Summons trick room on top of what it already does

Nerfs:
brouha: Flying types no longer get a defense boost in turbulence
lamp: Recover over Strength Sap, Candlewax is now Soul Heart
EpicNikolai: The secondary chance to par/burn is now 25% opposed to originally 100%
phiwings99: Exploit to kill opponent without killing yourself is fixed

Beats me tbh:
grimAuxiliatrix: If someone sets up rain while grimAuxiliatrix is on the field, Aluminum alloy will now activate, giving it +1 def, +1 spd, and -1 spe.
Now for wave 2, my personal favourite.

tiki: The addition of so many more support moves make tiki much more dangerous then it previously was. Frail as it may still be, being able to set up various screens and hazards, as well as potentially switching out on the same turn can provide a monumental boost in momentum... keyword being "potentially". Rolling sticky web and defog on the same turn hurts my soul.

thewaffleman: harder hits come in faster and keep waffle from losing their edge. A very helpful change to keep this funky boy dancing.

ptoad: in a welcome return to form, ptoad is now one of the most difficult to beat walls in the game. Even at +2 it could tank a giga drain and a +2 Psycho Drive without dying. Now it can get to the good parts faster at the cost of being a little less insurmountable, as well as a bit easier to counterwall out.

Coconut: still incredibly hard to make use of thanks to its overall frailty and lack of recovery, but the sig move can now potentially help turn the tables on the myriad of legendaries and counter sweepers out there.

Alpha: if it can afford a single turn of setup, Alpha becomes one of the most terrifying wallbreakers in the game, being able to threaten and beat steel types everywhere with its bare strength alone. It still has basically no recursion and is still pretty frail but it can do its job now so thanks :D

Gimmick: Very helpful effect that facilitates the life of one of the quirkier sets we have. Gimmick's all or nothing playstyle now has a much more frightening presence, being able to outspeed and kill a good chunk of the meta thanks to an excellent type combo and consistent damage. If it switches out, it loses most of these things, but can still be very funny ;)

Trickster: an already strong mon becomes even stronger. The bane of all physical teams, this anti meta behemoth can do a lot with very little, and is now more durable than ever. May very well be one of the best walls in the game. Poor Segmr got a little left behind :(.

Nol: by a country mile the biggest buff of the two waves. Extra coverage helps Nol not get walled by ground types easier and is more than welcome, but the real kicker is priority Trick Room. By itself nol can turn the tables on some of the most threatening mons in the meta and give its team a surprise sweep that they would normally be unable to get due to low speed. From one of the worst mons in the meta, it is, imo, now one of the best, and I adore getting it anytime I do.

Brouha: the once king of walls is no more. Vulnerability to all physical attackers means brouha can get away with much much less and I for one am glad for it. It's still incredibly useful and one of the best mons in the game.

Lamp: in a simar vein, Lamp can get away with a lot less and is much more vulnerable to being wittled down and/or one shot by opposing disgruntled physical attackers, overall a healthy change, strength sap should probably be left for walls anyhow.

EpicNikolai: it was 100%?! Wild. Rest in pieces.

Phiwings99: sad to see the exploit go but it's a healthy and justified change.

Grimauxiliatrix: yeah that makes sense.

Theia

I danced for you for the last time
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Nol: by a country mile the biggest buff of the two waves. Extra coverage helps Nol not get walled by ground types easier and is more than welcome, but the real kicker is priority Trick Room. By itself nol can turn the tables on some of the most threatening mons in the meta and give its team a surprise sweep that they would normally be unable to get due to low speed. From one of the worst mons in the meta, it is, imo, now one of the best, and I adore getting it anytime I do.
:psyglad:

Shout out to Instruct for being lovely and amazing and making all of this possible.

All the buffs were really cool. Simply getting Unburden has put Gimmick high on my threat list. Pretty much impossible to safely switch into, Boomburst is Boomburst, and if you switch into Snarl, Disarming Voice, or Random Screaming, Gimmick can just click the move again if you don't resist it and likely pick up a kill thanks to Throat Spray and the Echoed Voice multiplier, and it will likely outspeed you after spray activates due to it now having 480 speed. Many times, Gimmick can just auto-win the game or leave sizeable holes for your teammates to capitalize on. Overall, Gimmick has become a great mon, and a mon that I think should be on everyone's threat list.

Are you going to change Kirlia/Naziel? Not-so-worthy-Pirouette feels incredible uncompetitive, being pure RNG and OHKOing the opposing mon 50% of the time without any possible counterplay. I've had a lot of games decided by that move, when Kirlia OHKOed 3 opposing mons before getting a bad roll and killing itself. And the move even has priority thanks to Prankster, so outspeeding and revenge-killing Kirlia is impossible.

RSB

Dreaming of a shore bordering another world
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Are you going to change Kirlia/Naziel? Not-so-worthy-Pirouette feels incredible uncompetitive, being pure RNG and OHKOing the opposing mon 50% of the time without any possible counterplay. I've had a lot of games decided by that move, when Kirlia OHKOed 3 opposing mons before getting a bad roll and killing itself. And the move even has priority thanks to Prankster, so outspeeding and revenge-killing Kirlia is impossible.
Naziel gets hard walled by any dark type due to prankster.

It also cannot use the move consecutively without increasing its chance of dying so just switch into something that you don't mind losing and worst case scenario you'll revenge kill it on the next turn

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8superstaffbros4-1279929614
Rainy Day seems to be unaffected by Neutralizing Gas. I think Turbulence is the same.
Also, personally I'm surprised no one is talking about how strong HoeenHero is. Drizzle + Rain Dance combo makes it able to outspeed most things on a switch-in, and the fact that Landfall just takes incredible chunks out of anything, in addition to halving the opponent's team's speed for several turns, means it automatically gives you the momentum. The speed halving means nothing can switch into it and hit it without taking two hits from Landfall first, and revenge killing without taking a hit is also impossible.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)