Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because ice is one of the worst types in the game and it takes something stupid for them to be good. I mean, we talk about Zam being OU, but Kyurem wasn't even UU in Gen 7 and its black form was OU for three generations. While both have found their way to Ubers now thanks to getting some insane additions in Gen 8, and Bax is basically just a weaker Kyurem, it shows how far back you start as an ice type.
I feel like Bax could sort of be a Weavile-like situation where it ends up being better than Kyu-B and base Kyurem in Ubers because of it having Ground coverage, a built-in burn immunity and better Dragon STAB.

like having decent offensive stats? (counting speed here as one)
And also having actually good STAB. Really helps that Bax has Dice Icicle Spear (and an actually meaty Icicle Crash because 145 Atk) and a good Dragon STAB that doesn’t just force it to be completely vulnerable and trapped by revenge killers.

On the one hand it would be weird if Pult gets it since he could have learned it last gen if they wanted. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if tons of Pokemon have gotten TM and tutor moves generations after the fact.
I mean, there are Pokémon like Ariados and Heatmor who got their signature moves in Gen 7, even if that of Heatmor then was given to also Centiskorch

Once A-tails drops, Baxcalibur stocks is going to the moon. Aurora Veil + Ice Body + Leftovers + Snow Defence boost. Means that Sneasler won't even be able to 2HKO it. I predict either Light Clay to get banned or Screens.

252+ Atk Sneasler Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur in Snow with an ally's Aurora Veil: 154-183 (41.5 - 49.3%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO after Ice Body recovery and Leftovers recovery (Sneasler is adamant in this calc lol)
I don't know if Ice Body is worth losing burn immunity, especially on a physical attacker. To say nothing of the free attack boost. That said A-Tails is going to be insane with Bax.

I know, but the fact that a pseudo-legendary could end up ranking higher than Kyurem and Kyurem-B doing the exact same thing they do but better is kind of funny and sad.

If scald is back, its probably going to get severely limited since scald was 100% intentionally nerfed
??? It wasn't. Scald was always limited in distribution and only seemed widely available because Smogon allowed use of transfer moves. So if scald comes back and seeing milotic use the move, it's more likely to, at worst have good distribution.

Because ice is one of the worst types in the game
Defensively yes. Offensively lolno.

On a different note, curious what moves that people want mons are already in the game now to get from the dlc. Personally I'd like breloom to grassy glide because...

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 160-189 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Yes you'd need Rilla support to pull of, but you get a grassy glide that is several leagues stronger than Rilla's own, and clean up offense. Reliable? Probably not. But a funny thought.

??? It wasn't. Scald was always limited in distribution and only seemed widely available because Smogon allowed use of transfer moves. So if scald comes back and seeing milotic use the move, it's more likely to, at worst have good distribution.

On a different note, curious what moves that people want mons are already in the game now to get from the dlc. Personally I'd like breloom to grassy glide because...

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 160-189 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Yes you'd need Rilla support to pull of, but you get a grassy glide that is several leagues stronger than Rilla's own, and clean up offense. Reliable? Probably not. But a funny thought.
GrassSpam back??

Nobody:

Literally Nobody:

Just A Shroom God when Yanmega drops into OU (It's a Tinted Lens bug type so it has to have a niche):

Ice Body Baxcalibur is already a thing on teams that have Slowking, they use Substitute to capitalize on the passive healing and shield against Will-o-Wisp.
The Substitute in Ice Body Baxcalibur’s back pocket:
I wasn't saying it can't work, but more so that I imagine even with A-Tails people will still probably prefer Dance sets.

Scald has always been widely distributed with the majority of water types getting it and it wasn't changed until Gen 9 when it was removed from the TM list.

I meant that Pokemon saddled with the type have an uphill battle for viability. Though Boots has probably done a lot to help them.

Karxrida

Eventide (art by @kzhjp)
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Re: Rillaboom

While I don't think it'll be unviable if/when it gets its priority back (far from it), I'm not sure the current environment is super suited for it. Sure you can Tera to super boost Grassy Glide, but Grass still isn't the best offensive type and your opponent is easily capable of stopping a revenge kill with their own Tera. A bunch of the top threats also resist Grass already, plus some playstyles Sun naturally have several answers baked into their team structures. Knock Off helps with some would-be checks like Zapdos and Moltres, but if you're using Band you become very prediction reliant. Maybe the meta shifts enough with the DLC to make Rilla better -- we'll have to see.

I don't know if Ice Body is worth losing burn immunity, especially on a physical attacker. To say nothing of the free attack boost. That said A-Tails is going to be insane with Bax.
Ice Body Bax is already pretty common since Germany popularized it in WCOP. Bax doesn't really lose burn immunity because nobody is going to try Wisping it until it's confirmed to be Ice Body, and by then it's usually too late

Re: Rillaboom

While I don't think it'll be unviable if/when it gets its priority back (far from it), I'm not sure the current environment is super suited for it. Sure you can Tera to super boost Grassy Glide, but Grass still isn't the best offensive type and your opponent is easily capable of stopping a revenge kill with their own Tera. A bunch of the top threats also resist Grass already, plus some playstyles Sun naturally have several answers baked into their team structures. Knock Off helps with some would-be checks like Zapdos and Moltres, but if you're using Band you become very prediction reliant. Maybe the meta shifts enough with the DLC to make Rilla better -- we'll have to see.
As much as I hate to make SS comparisons Zapdos was omnipresent there too and Moltres saw decent use, yet bulkier Rilla sets were still worthwhile. Obviously like all discussions Tera flips things on its head, but having priority to RK stuff like Valiant, Wake, and Gren is nice, and it can prevent Hamurott from getting another spike up before it goes down. It also has pretty good synergy with Sneasler and the less popular Hawlucha. You're right that for the most part it matches up poorly into Sun, but in general Sun seems prone to being really good at one moment and meh the next. I can see it being a B+/A- mon assuming the meta remains somewhat similar.

I posted this Calc in another thread

252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 163-193 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Grassy Glide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew in Grassy Terrain: 211-249 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

Breloom missed Gen 8, give this to him. 2 Priority options (one conditional or not) and Spore screams for Set-up Mon or Choice Band disruption. Give me Talonflame Part 2: Birds on Shrooms!

Honestly the most hype thing is garchomp getting scale shot back to be honest since we know for a fact scale shot is probably gonna be a tm since its already patched in the game. (Even if only roaring moon gets it as of right now.)

If triple axel returns though (if it gets patched in so it can remain as a tm in the dlc, since triple axel is one of the few swsh tutor moves not in the game at all currently.), weavile will benefit hugely.

Ice Body Bax is already pretty common since Germany popularized it in WCOP. Bax doesn't really lose burn immunity because nobody is going to try Wisping it until it's confirmed to be Ice Body, and by then it's usually too late
Guessing that was an end of month development. I was just checking the usage rates and Ice Body is on less than 20% for August. Obviously that number might have changed with the success in WCOP even without A-Tails coming back, but I wouldn't call that common. Fair point though that no one is using Wisp on Bax until it shows Ice Body. Though if/when Scald comes back the risk does go up greatly.

I wasn't saying it can't work, but more so that I imagine even with A-Tails people will still probably prefer Dance sets.

Scald has always been widely distributed with the majority of water types getting it and it wasn't changed until Gen 9 when it was removed from the TM list.

I meant that Pokemon saddled with the type have an uphill battle for viability. Though Boots has probably done a lot to help them.
One of the major Substitute Ice Body sets is a Dragon Dance set.

I actually have tossed the thought of CB Techniloom with Grassy Surge support around when Glide was nerfed. Mach Punch, Close Combat, and Rock Tomb seem like the easy move picks, but that's only the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)