Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a matter of fact, i want it to get huge power and shift gear so there will be no question about whether to get this thing the fuck out of the meta
Amusingly, this wouldn't change Sucker Punch's damage at all in an endgame scenario:

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 774-912 (226.9 - 267.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Huge Power Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 774-912 (226.9 - 267.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

help

if ss compatibility for knock off returns gambit gets knock off though...
I think gambit might be one of the ones that gets the move revoked honestly, considering how dumb knock off is on it.

But as dumb as gambit is, without tera I think gambit would be strong but fine, since counterplay cannot be flipped if it doesn't have tera.

as a matter of fact, i want it to get huge power and shift gear so there will be no question about whether to get this thing the fuck out of the meta
It needs an ability that doubles it's speed and attack like huge power on stereoids and also gigaton hammer, knock off, pursuit, and shift gear

Amusingly, this wouldn't change Sucker Punch's damage at all in an endgame scenario:

+2 252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 774-912 (226.9 - 267.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Huge Power Kingambit Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 774-912 (226.9 - 267.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

help
except it wouldn't even be using sucker punch. with some investment, it outspeeds at +2 and uses knock off (which it would also get in this hypothetical scenario) instead. that actually makes a difference between guaranteed 2hko and potential ohko if it's max def mew tera'd into a neutral typing, so it's worth clicking

4. when Scale Shot back,can Garchomp continue OU?or usage usually 20-30?
I think Garchomp will continue to be OU with Scale Shot especially since Loaded Dice makes it a very strong STAB move (at +2 attack, 5 hit comes very close to OHKO offensive Tusk and comfortably OHKO defensive Zapdos). Although it's speed is not very good, it's still good enough since it outspeeds Baxcalibur, Tusk, Gholdengo, Samurott, Zapdos and Sandy Shocks unboosted and it outspeeds whole meta except Scarf pokemon and Booster Energy Valiant/Iron Moth etc. after a single Scale Shot. It's still very bulky and useful on the defensive side of things, reliably blocking Zapdos volt switch. Tera makes setting up and preventing revenge kill easier, I think either Tera Steel, Tera Fire or Tera Water will be best options. (Tera Water gives it very strong Liquidation that can beat Landorus and Gliscor which is coming back) Unfortunately it will have to run Stone Edge/Liquidation last slot to hit Enamorus so it can't run something like Substitute and is still hard walled by Dondozo but still I think Garchomp will definitely be a strong offensive pokemon with good defensive utility.

OU Players are so biased against Scald when they finally get the means to stop Kingambit, non Thermal Bax and Iron Valiant from ravaging the meta they moan and cry
Scald never stops any of them because of the hidden stat on it:
"if one scald burn could win you the game, 0% chance to burn. If your opponent switches into Thermal Bax, 100% chance to burn."
"only applies to people with skill issues"

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
As long as Pex and Slowking Galar dont get Scald we should see this as an absolute win my brothers and sisters in Christ.

I for one yearn for Scald Dondozo and Toxic Blissey.

how about instead of a major boon we fix the meta through some major bans
Yeah, realistically the meta can’t be healthy with things like Kingambit and Tera coexisting. It’s either Kingambit (and all the other things made overbearing by Tera) go away and Tera stays, or Tera goes and all those Pokémon stay (and Volcarona, Regieleki, etc. come back).

Because seriously, why tf should something like Kingambit be able to just ignore its checks by turning into a Fairy type and even getting STAB FAIRY-TYPE COVERAGE if it wants while also keeping its original STAB? That’s just inherently broken since you could replace Kingambit in that sentence with any other really good mon and that mon suddenly sounds over the top too.

I know, 2nd generational gimmick banned in a row, 2nd bland gen in a row. Even though I also hate Gen 8 for being a boring, slow gen where momentum and progress may as well not exist it’s not our fault that Game Freak decided to do 2 absurdedly broken gimmicks in a row that don’t fit a Singles style metagame (hell, these gimmicks even make VGC more of a mess than it already is).

Plus, Game Freak practically got rid of Scald, reduced Knock Off and Defog’s insane distribution, nerfed all recovery moves, introduced a bunch of insane wallbreakers/sweepers and Gholdengo/Samurott-H still exist, so the gen is still going to be quite offensive and fast even without Tera.

The meta is bad in several different dimensions and it sort of feels like Gen 9 OU is just going to be a punt generation where we moved at a glacial pace and tour players will have PR threads for the next decade patching it up. I have basically given up on the tier and primarily play UU these days and I’m sure I’m not alone. Gholdengo, hazard fiesta, gambit, and Garg are all just miserable to play against and it seems increasingly clear nothing will happen to Tera.

Knock Off and Scald actually favour more offensive threats than they do the defensive ones . Toxic meanwhile (with universal distribution) favors already top Mons. The distribution of those 3 Mons being reduced is actually a good thing for balanced and defensive teams. Defog, however, is another story.

The meta is bad in several different dimensions and it sort of feels like Gen 9 OU is just going to be a punt generation where we moved at a glacial pace and tour players will have PR threads for the next decade patching it up. I have basically given up on the tier and primarily play UU these days and I’m sure I’m not alone. Gholdengo, hazard fiesta, gambit, and Garg are all just miserable to play against and it seems increasingly clear nothing will happen to Tera.
My brother, we are averaging a suspect every three months, even with the disruption posed by Home. That you dislike the suspect results does not mean they didn't happen.

Knock Off and Scald actually favour more offensive threats than they do the defensive ones . Toxic meanwhile (with universal distribution) favors already top Mons. The distribution of those 3 Mons being reduced is actually a good thing for balanced and defensive teams. Defog, however, is another story.
Fax. Mons like Dondozo and Corviknight being able to preserve their HDB / Leftovers due to Knock cut means that they have much better longevity than they would have in previous generations, even in spite of the recovery PP nerf. Most sources of passive damage outside of Salt Cure and hazards have been gutted, making Leftovers and HDB the strongest they have ever been. I'd say Leftovers is the strongest its ever been since gen 2 if it weren't for hazards complete dominance, meaning most mons need to run Boots since that burst damage from hazards is too much to deal with.

I'm unironically kinda hyped for Yanmega to drop. It's like Lokix, but special and it trades priority for set diversity and power. With an actual special attack stat, it doesn't need to Tera Bug to get those crazy calcs I have made y'all VERY AWARE Lokix can perform. Specs Tinted Lens' raw power can let it 2HKO stuff like Corv and non-AV Glowking even with a Timid nature. However, I think the real thing Mega (Yan? Meg? Ega?) will be known for is its anti-offense capabilities. With good resistances to Ground, Fighting, and Grass moves Yanmega with Speed Boost and Specs can act as a semi-Battle Bond, where you end up with +1 speed and (effectively) special attack upon a revenge kill, which makes it a lot harder to switch into. It has enough speed that a Modest nature is viable for this role, increasing its power even more. Due to the plethora of bug resists on HO right now, I predict that Tera Flying with either Tera Blast or Air Slash will be the preferred spammable move. Due to the lower power compared to Bug Buzz, it doesn't achieve OHKOs on many HO threats, such as Baxcalibur or Iron Moth, but it comes very close, only needing U-turn chip or equivalent on many things. Due to this, I think it will be used as an endgame cleanup once the enemy team has been chipped. Now, compared to Lokix, it does have issues with things faster than it after a speed boost (BE mons), and it does sacrifice amazing power on its U-turn, and it has a 4x weakness to rocks with no recovery, which can hinder its ability to switch into stuff like Close Combat from Valiant. Overall, I see it as a D tier mon- it has some flaws, and it won't win you every game if you can get it set up right, but it's got good traits worth building for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)