Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Posing this question to Finchinator : the archaludon suspect is literally a day after the kyurem results. As you've stated the metagame hasnt changed at all. Do people who qualified for kyurem suspect really need to earn reqs all over again? you could certainly make a case for them being prequalified, given the proximity and lack of metagame development between now and then.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Posing this question to Finchinator : the archaludon suspect is literally a day after the kyurem results. As you've stated the metagame hasnt changed at all. Do people who qualified for kyurem suspect really need to earn reqs all over again? you could certainly make a case for them being prequalified, given the proximity and lack of metagame development between now and then.
The metagame is changing rapidly. Look at the survey results from mid-January — they don’t reflect the current metagame at all and it’s early February. Teams from a month ago are seldom viable. Strategies continue to shift. Structures continue to evolve.

There will be more shifts over these ten days and the point of a suspect is to have people play in that metagame to determine the result. Yes, the metagame today and yesterday are similar enough, but people got reqs up to two weeks ago for Kyurem and the vote for Arch will be 12 days from now, leaving them in entirely separate stages of the developing metagame.

Reqs won’t roll over and it would be an abuse of the system for them to.

Gonna go against the grain of the doomsayers here. I am genuinely enjoying this meta. There’s a decent diversity of team structures, many interesting mons, and overall the pond is big enough such that no one mon feels too egregious. Respectfully, there is always gonna be people who get off by complaining. It’s simple selection bias that those who have complaints are the loudest voices, no matter how the meta is.

I'd like to highlight one point I haven't seen raised yet. Rain Sweepers need to claim multiple kills to make up for the fact they have a timer and a Pelipper on their team. Trading 1 for 1 is really bad for weather.

Therefore, chunking an Archaludon, losing your mon and then revenge killing it is a good result for you most of the time. I've seen a few people in this thread dismiss any solution that isn't hard walling him but solutions are there.

That said, Archaludon is probably still banworthy anyway, way more oppressive than Kyurem. I just wanted to raise the above point.

Gonna go against the grain of the doomsayers here. I am genuinely enjoying this meta. There’s a decent diversity of team structures, many interesting mons, and overall the pond is big enough such that no one mon feels too egregious. Respectfully, there is always gonna be people who get off by complaining. It’s simple selection bias that those who have complaints are the loudest voices, no matter how the meta is.
Glad you're enjoying it. I for one am tired of the same weather teams over and over again. Tired of the hyper offense. Tired of now relearning the meta, not because change is inevitable and will always be a growing experience, but because new mons seem to just refuse to play by the rules (I think the bridge is Bloodmoon Lite). I'm only comparing this to the meta from a month or two ago.

And that last bit rubbed me the wrong way. I've actually read the complaints given about this meta, and they all seemed to have merit. Certainly more than "complainers complaining cause that's what complainers do".

Anyone questioning the timing of this suspect have clearly not played a substantial number of games in the current metagame. I personally feel that the ladder is at an all time low in terms of variety, with the same few mons and team structures being recycled endlessly. Furthermore, even if you happened to be a contrarian and enjoy the current state of the metagame, a new suspect test isn't going to move the needle for at least another 10 days, which is ample time for the pluviophiles to enjoy their stay. Gotta give props to Finch and the council for their decisiveness.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
there is literally no reason for us to delay a suspect when the metagame that archaludon has been oppressive in has not changed. it is only logical to act promptly if we have an agreed target, which we did based on its extremely disgusting results in SPL and the chokehold arch/rain has on defensive counterplay in such a threat saturated metagame. the optimal balance/stall cores have been generally cracked and they're incredibly limited in variety since they're the main reliable ways to deal with rain and all of the versed, high power threats that most teams have to invest resources into checking. archaludon itself almost always forces skewed trades into most offenses, which benefits rain (and barraskewda) immensely. to me, it's also pretty clear what aspects are archaludon-induced (clod, boosted ting-lu usage, tera ground, etc). being railroaded into running specific checks to have a consistent mu into one pokemon is generally a recipe for a suspect, esp in a tera metagame

i don't think it will. unless i missed something, this was the first time an actual council member, speaking on behalf of the entire council (at least, that's what i assume the "we" means), came out and gave a firm "no" to the topic. said council member also happens to have the power to delete posts and force the discussion to stop if it starts again
Idk, maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic about it but maybe you're right. I haven't really heard about some former OU unbans since that idea got slapped away.

Glad you're enjoying it. I for one am tired of the same weather teams over and over again. Tired of the hyper offense. Tired of now relearning the meta, not because change is inevitable and will always be a growing experience, but because new mons seem to just refuse to play by the rules (I think the bridge is Bloodmoon Lite). I'm only comparing this to the meta from a month or two ago.

And that last bit rubbed me the wrong way. I've actually read the complaints given about this meta, and they all seemed to have merit. Certainly more than "complainers complaining cause that's what complainers do".
Respectfully, I feel that you are proving my point. People complain about HO, yet balance and even stall are successful right now. A quick look at some of the top rated OU teams in RMT recently:

Latias Balance posted a week ago (peak 2011): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/latias-hazards-peaked-2011-number-5-in-ou.3735389/

Hydrapple Stall posted this weekend (peak 2045):
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/peaked-2-2045-elo-–-hydrapple-stall.3734847/

Ursa veil BO that yielded a successful voting reqs streak with:https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ursa-veil-43-9-voting-reqs.3735854/

My point is that people complain about HO, yet it is very possible to build a successful BO, balance, or even stall team in this meta. Not trying to be harsh but for this reason I don’t feel that said complaints have a lot of merit.

Respectfully, I feel that you are proving my point. People complain about HO, yet balance and even stall are successful right now. A quick look at some of the top rated OU teams in RMT recently:

Latias Balance posted a week ago (peak 2011): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/latias-hazards-peaked-2011-number-5-in-ou.3735389/

Hydrapple Stall posted this weekend (peak 2045):
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/peaked-2-2045-elo-–-hydrapple-stall.3734847/

Ursa veil BO that yielded a successful voting reqs streak with:https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ursa-veil-43-9-voting-reqs.3735854/

My point is that people complain about HO, yet it is very possible to build a successful BO, balance, or even stall team in this meta. Not trying to be harsh but for this reason I don’t feel that said complaints have a lot of merit.
And my point is that it'll be great to actually face those teams instead of the same hyper offense repeatedly. I complain about HO because it is an eyesore. There's a good chance that it's what others feel when they mention said playstyle.

That it's my least favorite playstyle adds to it.

Heck, I don't believe I said anything about other playstyles not being viable. I love playing against stall. Weird, huh? That's because it's a change of pace between rapidly changing weather, Arch (just gonna drop the name), entei things, fucking fairy thunder dragons...there's.much to prepare for. Team building is a chore, and I am NOT a 2000 player, which makes things much harder for me.

Respectfully (no sarcasm seriously, I'm too tired and crabby to find the thesaurus), I feel you've actually proven mine. I've outlined my complaints with this meta, all personal, some shared. They weren't empty complaining. They're my experiences playing this game.

Archaludon getting suspected with low survey support makes me hopeful for a Tera retest at least.

Happy suspecting!
Fortunately for us, Tera enjoyers, you forgot an important detail: Archaludon is Suspect tested because the council wants it. As long as both the Council and the Playerbase (especially the former) don,t want the Tera test, its not happening :blobthumbsup:

Hmmm not sure some peoples big gripe about the new suspect. Why wait when the meta isn't changing, and the old suspect test hinted to a potential next candidate. If something needs tested, and it's found to be broken better to start that process as practically sooner rather than later. I'm grateful the council has taken this approach tbh.

Last edited:
And my point is that it'll be great to actually face those teams instead of the same hyper offense repeatedly. I complain about HO because it is an eyesore. There's a good chance that it's what others feel when they mention said playstyle.

That it's my least favorite playstyle adds to it.

Heck, I don't believe I said anything about other playstyles not being viable. I love playing against stall. Weird, huh? That's because it's a change of pace between rapidly changing weather, Arch (just gonna drop the name), entei things, fucking fairy thunder dragons...there's.much to prepare for. Team building is a chore, and I am NOT a 2000 player, which makes things much harder for me.

Respectfully (no sarcasm seriously, I'm too tired and crabby to find the thesaurus), I feel you've actually proven mine. I've outlined my complaints with this meta, all personal, some shared. They weren't empty complaining. They're my experiences playing this game.
Seems like you need to take a few days away from the game and enjoy the view around you. It’s just a game. It’s okay to step away.

Get to +3 SpA and +3 Def by sitting on the field that's what it does
how's it getting to +3 when chilly reception removes the rain
how's it getting to use that +3 effectively when you're switching between a resist and an objectively bulky pokemon, or just getting burned by either a will o wisp or a scald (because again, burn nerfs body press damage). I'm not disagreeing that arch is extremely good but you're all acting like it's this unkillable wall when in reality you just hit it with a few neutral or super effective special attacks and it dies. Also it dies to +2 iron valiant close combat so yet another reason to use the boi

Huh. Guess i slipped up with two steels and three dragons jesus fuck thats not supposed to be defiant, but thats cool. Any obv weaknesses b4 i go on a l8 nite req run?
where's the SD liquidation iron valiant where is your want for the sauce

Imma try to create a rain team without arch, just for the fun of it. I'm thinking of using overqwil to beat waterpon, and to give some diversity to the team.
SD IRON VALIANT MY BOY

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
At what point is it safe to say I would be fine to keep going. Like how many wins should I be in?
If you don’t start at least 8-0 or 10-0, then it’s going to be very hard to get reqs unless you’re willing to grind well beyond 50 games or are incredibly efficient over the course of your next 20-30 games. Realistically it’s best to stack wins early so that a handful of losses later do not cause concern.

As a baseline, if you’re going to be able to hit 80% GXE and the mid-1600s, which is the bare minimum for reqs, then you should be able to start 8-0 or 10-0 eventually (obviously there’s variance/RNG) anyway.

how's it getting to +3 when chilly reception removes the rain
how's it getting to use that +3 effectively when you're switching between a resist and an objectively bulky pokemon, or just getting burned by either a will o wisp or a scald (because again, burn nerfs body press damage). I'm not disagreeing that arch is extremely good but you're all acting like it's this unkillable wall when in reality you just hit it with a few neutral or super effective special attacks and it dies. Also it dies to +2 iron valiant close combat so yet another reason to use the boi

where's the SD liquidation iron valiant where is your want for the sauce
no one is claiming it's unkillable, it has no recovery moves. You people act like Pokémon are only "banworthy" when they one shot everything, never die, and win the game instantly upon being sent out. It's true, once you hit it with several neutral special moves it does eventually die. I like how you say "Just use a few moves" oh a few huh? How many? So I'm supposed to give it how many free turns? Turns it can use to electro shot, turns it can use to get free kills (in fact While these "a few special moves" are being used on arch it usually claims a ko or two) not to mention that every time you attack it stamina procs. So your suggested counterplay involves boosting the power of body press to the moon. Archaludon is a killable Mon, sure, that is what happens when a Pokémon has no recovery. But what does it do while you're killing it and is it ok?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 13, Guests: 47)