Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Rule number 1 when expecting anything from Gamefreak

1) don't

Really, its gonna just be another shitty patch, they are probably gonna try to milk the consumers for more money before launching, don't fall for the same shit twice

Fool me once?
Shame on You
Fool me twice?
Shame on Me

If it is then great, but keep the hope down

Last edited:
Spectrier started OU last generation and was in the tier for a few months before being suspected out; it is entirely reasonable to vote on it, just as we are voting on Flutter Mane.
in those few months mandibuzz was carrying the entire tier on its back, it's not a healthy presence

Ting-lu has similar bulk and attack and its far from broken/outliving everything in this meta. Look through the viability list. The majority of mons run some kind of supereffective coverage for it already without it even being in the tier and its Its also hit by all hazards
It cant do all the things all at once. If it wants to outlive other things, i wont be able to threaten mons and vica versa. slowking f.e. can live any hit and use chilly recetion to pivot to a breaker despite the shadowball weakness
Aside from Giratina freely terastilizing on bad match ups, it has extraordinary bulk and as TingLu has demonstrated, can abuse rest to extend this to ridiculous levels of longevity. Things can pack super effective coverage but unless stab, you're not really threatening it really. Hell, you could abuse a resttalk shuffler set with dragon tail and just phase shit in and out while racking up hazard damage on everything. Or you can have fun with SubCM which ruins bulky structures lacking phasing options, wisphex, which cripples physical offense (which makes up much of the metagame), specs, sub wisp hex, all out attacker...

I'm not sure why there's this trend of wanting to unban boxart legends all of a sudden. Zama is one thing because it was directly nerfed, but there is nothing to gain by dropping something like GiraA into the tier.

Exotic64

MDRRRRRRRR
is a Tiering Contributor
Zama is one thing because it was directly nerfed, but there is nothing to gain by dropping something like GiraA into the tier.
idk what the arguments for zama dropping are but the concept itself is stupid
ur dropping a 700 BST mon into a metagame where there is even 420 BST Pokemon like azu
behemoth bash + ID BP or some howl set is still stupidly strong even for OU
if only there was a tier in between OU and Ubers, that's where zama would sit perfectly alongside stuff like ape and eleki assuming that its getting banned

Ting-lu has similar bulk and attack and its far from broken/outliving everything in this meta. Look through the viability list. The majority of mons run some kind of supereffective coverage for it already without it even being in the tier and its Its also hit by all hazards
Yea but ting-lu does not have will-o-wisp to just cripple its switch ins and chip it, and Giratina-A also has rest. Oh, and unlike ting-lu, Giratina-A can do shit back. 100 attacking stats are decent if your mon has 150/120/120 bulk, and you also get a very spammable, STAB shadow ball to deal damage to anything that isn’t a normal type. Oh, and are you expecting a non-stab shadow ball to hit Giratina-A because it also hits Gholdengo? Giratina-A also survives a CB Garchomp outrage after rocks. Imagine if the Garchomp did not have STAB and did not have a CB. Giratina can survive 2 hits. Just because it’s super effective doesn’t mean it forces it out.

idk what the arguments for zama dropping are but the concept itself is stupid
ur dropping a 700 BST mon into a metagame where there is even 420 BST Pokemon like azu
behemoth bash + ID BP or some howl set is still stupidly strong even for OU
if only there was a tier in between OU and Ubers, that's where zama would sit perfectly alongside stuff like ape and eleki assuming that its getting banned
The main argument is that OU already has the means to handle Fighting types like Iron Valiant and Great Tusk. Especially since it got nerfed this gen, losing 10 Atk in base form and 10 atk + 5 in Def/SpD, and also Dauntless Shield for the Protean treatment. Zama-C was suspect tested last Gen and barely stayed Ubers because it just had enough of power, bulk, speed, and environment was too much. It lost all that in a significantly powercrept gen.
Also Azumarill having 420 BST is disingenuous since Huge Power gives it effectively 149 Atk.
Also Azumarill is the lowest BST Pokemon in a meta where the Median BST is 530.
Also BST, while usually an indicator of power, is not the end all be all of Pokemon viability. It doesn’t matter that Zamazenta has pretty high Atk when its offensive movepool is garbage, nor its bulk when it requires lot of support to remove hazards.

The main argument is that OU already has the means to handle Fighting types like Iron Valiant and Great Tusk. Especially since it got nerfed this gen, losing 10 Atk in base form and 10 atk + 5 in Def/SpD, and also Dauntless Shield for the Protean treatment. Zama-C was suspect tested last Gen and barely stayed Ubers because it just had enough of power, bulk, speed, and environment was too much. It lost all that in a significantly powercrept gen.
Also Azumarill having 420 BST is disingenuous since Huge Power gives it effectively 149 Atk.
Also Azumarill is the lowest BST Pokemon in a meta where the Median BST is 530.
Also BST, while usually an indicator of power, is not the end all be all of Pokemon viability. It doesn’t matter that Zamazenta has pretty high Atk when its offensive movepool is garbage, nor its bulk when it requires lot of support to remove hazards.
I feel like zamaH will stay and cement itself as another top-tier offensive Fighting type, while with zamaC it's more contentious given its increased bulk, Behemoth Bash, and much better defensive typing. The only things that might end up being of concern with Hero are that speed tier combined with its natural bulk, as it has both of those things over Valiant who has comparable offenses, better coverage, and better typing (although Valiant can patch its speed up w booster or gimmicky eterrain)

Personal predictions since they've been condensed
Pao: probably gonna end up staying banned but this could go either way. If not now I can see this being retested during DLCs or after a potential Tera ban maybe.
Spectrier: No way this doesn't stay banned, others have already posted at length about how it's just like in gen 8 but worse
Regieleki: Probably not banned, frankly could go either way once released depending on how well the metagame adapts to it but tera ice will probably shred offense and I could see some usage for grass as well.
Chi-yu: Lol. banned
Espathra: Like Pao I could only see it being unbanned if Tera is so banned. Either way i find it questionable that espathra will ever be healthy, stored power cm speed boost feels like a shitty theorymon made by a 12yo. At best it gets unbanned and ends up a really controversial, matchup fishy setup sweeper kind of like a worse volc. Would be harder to break through gambit lu and decently bulky steels w/o tera though
Bundle: Also lol. banned
Palafin: Still basically Water Slaking minus the drawbacks. Not enough counterplay coming w Home, banned
Flutter Mane: Go to Ubers, do not pass vote, do not collect kills vs slower mons, banned
UrshiSS: Still pretty much no switchins and now it can be a setup sweeper. banned
ZamaH: It's not too much more powerful than the top Fighting-types in the tier, whether it will be healthy in the tier time will tell, but I forsee it being unbanned
ZamaC: Better typing and bulk than Hero, could see it becoming overcentralizing, I would keep it banned but it could also go either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)