Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think if zamazenta-hero ends up being unbanned, chien pao's choice band set could be managable, because I don't think chien pao could break through zama-hero that easily even with flinches. And personally, I think it could be unbanned as with home, there will be more will o wisp/scald users to absolutely destroy it as well as potentially zama hero.

As for the unanimous vote, I have a hunch its bundle or flutter mane, nothing will ever change with them and they will always be obscenely broken.

Um idk about pao. Even magearna is not that sturdy. It is supposed to handle many mons and the extreme set that is good vs pao is max ph.def which is cleanely 3 hit kod by banded sacred sword or 4 hit kod by tera dark crunch. Also many mag are gonna be more offensive or sp.def AV sets which at best run max hp which is a high chance to be two shotted by sacred sword. Sure you cant just mindlessly go and click tera dark crunch and be stupidly busted idt there is good amount of checks. Tera fight beats even mag btw.

Pao is at core a broken mon. Idk about unbanning it. If CB somehow manages to be balanced it can just run a lure set at worst. It gets SD ice shard and sucker punch and even recover dude. It is so not balanced at all. Out of returning mons its just flame body heatran and static zap that really are good checks oh and yeah zap is NOT a good mon vs it. You have to fish for static.

Paldea tauros being a good check to pao is just as good of a reason to unban ape then too cause "h-zoruark is an ape answer.". Oh and chipping magearna down with tera dark crunch is not useful for what.

And h-zor is a better mon than paldea tauros.

Oh and yeah pao do get sacred sword and can perfectly run tera fight to beat even zamazenta crown.

I dont get the point of unbanning pao till tera atleast gets suspect oh and yeah mag is not gonna stay for too long. Its gonna go to ubers after a while so there goes your "check".

I don’t see any reason to be suspect of this launch window. Last time, ONLY the English sites published the release date, and the Japanese didn’t. This time, the Japanese account tweeted about the maintenance.

Plus, shadow dropping the maintenance window has always been how home comp was announced. Them dropping a release date was weird in and of itself. It’s good to be skeptical of course, but I think it’s a little unwarranted.

This time, the Japanese account tweeted about the maintenance.
This is why is ok to be skeptical, they are saying that there will be a maintenance, not that this maintenance is going to bring the compatibility with gen 9, that has been what people have been saying but from Game Freak's part they haven't confirmed it.
I actually think if zamazenta-hero ends up being unbanned, chien pao's choice band set could be managable, because I don't think chien pao could break through zama-hero that easily even with flinches. And personally, I think it could be unbanned as with home, there will be more will o wisp/scald users to absolutely destroy it as well as potentially zama hero.

As for the unanimous vote, I have a hunch its bundle or flutter mane, nothing will ever change with them and they will always be obscenely broken.
The thing is that even Dracovish who had hard counters on water absorb mons was too much for the tier, having two (technically 3 counting the forms) on Zamazenta and Tauros doesn't sound healthy at all, especially when most of the returning defensive mons are weak to ice or dark.

This is why is ok to be skeptical, they are saying that there will be a maintenance, not that this maintenance is going to bring the compatibility with gen 9, that has been what people have been saying but from Game Freak's part they haven't confirmed it.

The thing is that even Dracovish who had hard counters on water absorb mons was too much for the tier, having two (technically 3 counting the forms) on Zamazenta and Tauros doesn't sound healthy at all, especially when most of the returning defensive mons are weak to ice or dark.
Take into account that Defensive Counterplay is not the only one that exists. For example, Slither Wings can't really come into Icicle Crash, but once it comes, it threatens Chien Pao with First Impression OHKO.
Similarly, lures exist. Imagine Pult and Band Chien Pao coming at the same time to the field. Normally Chien Pao just clicks Ice Shard or Sucker and kills Pult. But Pult can Tera Fire or even Fight to easily OHKO Chien Pao. Yes, Tera was used, but Chien Pao is dead and won't KO anything else this match. A match can go many ways and Chien Pao won't always be able to just click something and sweep everything.

This might not be enough to save Chien Pao from the Ban hammer. But telling "it just has 3 defensive checks" (Which isn't even entirely true, Dondozo, 2 Tauros, Azumarill, Magearna, Urshifu and Zamazenta sums up 7 and there might be more that I didn't count) is an oversimplification, the situation is way more complex in Chien Pao's case.

Probably for the best to see how Eleki does in OU. It's fast, but that's really all it has. No boosting move, needs to tera for coverage, paper bulk, mid offense, ect. I'm kinda shocked at the vote ratio tbh

Probably for the best to see how Eleki does in OU. It's fast, but that's really all it has. No boosting move, needs to tera for coverage, paper bulk, mid offense, ect. I'm kinda shocked at the vote ratio tbh
i mean, when you do tera it you get an insanely fast mon with really strong electric moves plus stab coverage for any immunities. it honestly seems more broken than some of the stuff that was voted to get quickbanned but i guess it doesn't hurt to test it

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
> Is scared of a world with Tera Regieleki
> Votes OU

The reason why I voted OU on Regieleki and Chien-Pao is mostly reflecting my belief in due process rather than the Pokemon themselves.

Regieleki has never been banned in an official (National Dex is unofficial and incomparable) capacity, and it wasn’t even a standout in OU last generation. Yes, a lot has changed and I can very easily see it being banned, but I’d rather give it a 48 hour chance to prove this than do away with it automatically. When the risk is so low because quickbans are easy patchwork, I find this to be an appropriate use of our system.

Chien-Pao I voted OU personally on as well. It’s obviously menacing, but it never had support to be quickbanned this generation and the suspect vote on it was very close. Seeing how recent this was and how much change is present with HOME, voting OU was a no-brainer for me.

I recognize both come with a likelihood to be broken — especially Regieleki, but I definitely voted with procedure in mind. This also helps establish patterns for the future.

Take into account that Defensive Counterplay is not the only one that exists. For example, Slither Wings can't really come into Icicle Crash, but once it comes, it threatens Chien Pao with First Impression OHKO.
Similarly, lures exist. Imagine Pult and Band Chien Pao coming at the same time to the field. Normally Chien Pao just clicks Ice Shard or Sucker and kills Pult. But Pult can Tera Fire or even Fight to easily OHKO Chien Pao. Yes, Tera was used, but Chien Pao is dead and won't KO anything else this match. A match can go many ways and Chien Pao won't always be able to just click something and sweep everything.

This might not be enough to save Chien Pao from the Ban hammer. But telling "it just has 3 defensive checks" (Which isn't even entirely true, Dondozo, 2 Tauros, Azumarill, Magearna, Urshifu and Zamazenta sums up 7 and there might be more that I didn't count) is an oversimplification, the situation is way more complex in Chien Pao's case.
Offense always had a better match up against Pao, that is nothing new, the issue is that band Pao just 2HKO everything. Only nothing Tauros and Zamazenta are safe from the 2HKO, hazards or even a defense drop are enough to 2HKO Dozo unless it tera before, but at that scenario the Pao player can play around it easily. Yeah, of course that it is more complex than that, but in most situations the ban Pao player has the advantage and they won't fall for the lure every single time.

Somebody abusing a mon is not going to be indicative of whether or not they think it should be banned. You can very well think something is broken and should be banned and still use it, and in fact, I would argue thinking that makes it more likely that you would use it.
it was actually a joke based on a typo but I get it now

They have basically confirmed it. The tweet mentions that the home maintenance is for the update to version 3.0, and version 3.0 is the update which includes SV compatability.

Seeing so many "Uber" votes shocks me a lot. It has not yet been tested in OU 9G, and was not Uber at all in 8G.
Regieleki should not have been in the list of Pokémon to vote, it should have been reserved for Pokémon previously Uber.

Seeing so many "Uber" votes shocks me a lot. It has not yet been tested in OU 9G, and was not Uber at all in 8G.
Regieleki should not have been in the list of Pokémon to vote, it should have been reserved for Pokémon previously Uber.
Even though National Dex is an entirely different Meta, the experience there is useful regarding tiering policies. With Tera Blast it was seen already how powerful Regieleki is.
List of Mons that I can see being checks to Tera Ice and Tera Grass Eleki at the same time:
Iron Treads (I don't see Water Eleki becoming common at all)
Rest Ting Lu.
Camerupt (lol)
Wish Jolteon (lol)
Defensive Pawmot (meme too)
Restalk Ursaluna
Clodsire
Blissey and Chansey
Hisuian Goodra
Sdef Pachirisu (lol)
AV Regenerator Mons that are not weak to Electric (including Tera)
Sdef Baxcalibur (no one has ever used this)
Think Fat Tera Ground Mons.

Offensive counterplay exists and Regieleki needs to commit to Tera, but I still think options are not enough. It has merit to be tested, but I do consider it much more dangerous than both Magearna and Chien Pao

Just a reminder that Regieleki outspeeds and is favored in OHKOing scarf Gholdango after Stealth Rocks.
252+ SpA Life Orb Transistor Tera Ice Regieleki Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 282-333 (89.5 - 105.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I agree with this, kinda? It's kinda weird to say "National Dex is not the basis for anything OU does" when this guy stands out like a sore thumb on the suspect list.

And now we wait for Spectier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)