Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Shed Tail
2. Walking Wake
3. Volcarona
4. Revival Blessing
5. Garganacl

If anything needs to leave this tier it's Shed Tail. Utility Mons that would be decent without it like Cyclizar have now been converted to Ubers staples for getting teammates in safely which is very crucial. Shit mons that would't be good with it like Orthworm are now seeing usage rates that makes them valuable OU mons.

Wake has been busted on arrival and it took people a while to realize it at first. Dragon/Water stab combo is nuts but Tera takes this thing to new levels.

Volc is just middle of the pack for me. I've cheesed out some wins with Tera Grass+ Quiver dance but Volc is more tera reliant for sweeping potential.

Revival Blessing is just there. It's a powerful tool with no great abusers. Pawmot is an incredible RB abuser in UU but I haven't seen any Revival Blessing strats in Low- Mid ladder on OU

Garg just does Garg things.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
Revival Blessing is a very interesting topic because not really busted, but it's kind of overwhelming on how you use it. Like Sleep back in generation 4 was quite a hassle people would consider it overwhelming and that's why it got banned in Gen 5 (Sleep Moves Clause). I think when Home comes out there will be a lot complaints about it because it's very difficult to beat a mon that was a threat to your team once, but when you have to do that 2 times in a game it becomes quite a drag. The only thing that needs to be done is use Pawmot which has (339) speed against a slower mon, preferably a passive wall that can't do much like a Toxapex, Garganacal, Clodsire / or forcing a mon to switch out. The one thing about that move is that it doesn't bring back items that were used and your mon is only back to 50% health, but if it has a recovery move that fixes the issue.

I think Revival Blessing might be an issue in the future but right now I don't think people have issues with it, at least on this thread.
Like an example is imagine bringing back a mon with Regen, once it switches out your back to 75%. (After taking it down the first time, and it being brought back to life)

Is Ceruledge even that good in OU?

I according to this it was #25 in usage last week:

http://pucko.info/pokeStats?format=gen9ou&time=week

The players refuse to let it go :zonger:
Yeah I think it's a top notch Pokémon especially with the recent increase of Sun teams as well as Mono-Fire Volc with Wisp still being a thing. It's the only notable Pokémon with Flash Fire in OU so it helps it quite a lot.

I've seen Tera Bug Bulk Up Cel sweep a lot, really hard to beat in my opinion depending on the opposing matchups.

Like an example is imagine bringing back a mon with Regen, once it switches out your back to 75%. (After taking it down the first time, and it being brought back to life)

Yeah I think it's a top notch Pokémon especially with the recent increase of Sun teams as well as Mono-Fire Volc with Wisp still being a thing. It's the only notable Pokémon with Flash Fire in OU so it helps it quite a lot.

I've seen Tera Bug Bulk Up Cel sweep a lot, really hard to beat in my opinion depending on the opposing matchups.
I've also seen the rogue Tera Grass to avoid being spored, If you want a comparison, think of it as a Tera Grass QD Volc but 3 levels more tame.

In my opinion, Quak is a better Mon than Ceruledge, despite not working the same. Of course, it was even better with Chien Pao, but Max Pdef with U-Turn can work as a slow pivot that checks some things, like Kingambit (though Restalk Water Tauros is better at that, just like it was better vs Chien Pao too) . Meanwhile, I am never preparing specifically vs Ceruledge and very rarely it becomes a problem when I face it. Maybe some new sets needs to be invented for it to stay relevant.
The actual reason for which Quakuaval should stop being used and dropped to UU is due to being VERY UGLY. If a Mon is in the short list (Tsareena, Pyukumuku, Inteleon, Armarouge and not many more) of Mons I consider ugly, it should be totally forgotten and fall down all the way to ZU (or be banned to AG, also works).

In my opinion, Quak is a better Mon than Ceruledge, despite not working the same. Of course, it was even better with Chien Pao, but Max Pdef with U-Turn can work as a slow pivot that checks some things, like Kingambit (though Restalk Water Tauros is better at that, just like it was better vs Chien Pao too) . Meanwhile, I am never preparing specifically vs Ceruledge and very rarely it becomes a problem when I face it. Maybe some new sets needs to be invented for it to stay relevant.
The actual reason for which Quakuaval should stop being used and dropped to UU is due to being VERY UGLY. If a Mon is in the short list (Tsareena, Pyukumuku, Inteleon, Armarouge and not many more) of Mons I consider ugly, it should be totally forgotten and fall down all the way to ZU (or be banned to AG, also works).
I mean, Tusk is better to check most physical stuff anyway. The duck had a brief time where it was useful because people didn't use water resists during the first months, but after Gren dropped and specially with Walking Wake everyone remember how important a water resist it every has one.

I mean, Tusk is better to check most physical stuff anyway. The duck had a brief time where it was useful because people didn't use water resists during the first months, but after Gren dropped and specially with Walking Wake everyone remember how important a water resist it every has one.
Its still for me more useful than Ceruledge specifically, especially with Skeledirge existing. Skele has a very different function for Ceruledge, but still is 1000 times better as a Ghost Fire Mon. Meanwhile, Water Tauros isn,t 1000 times better than Quak, though for me it is a better defensive Mon due to Intimidate and higher bulk.

The actual reason for which Quakuaval should stop being used and dropped to UU is due to being VERY UGLY. If a Mon is in the short list (Tsareena, Pyukumuku, Inteleon, Armarouge and not many more)
>Ugly
>Doesn't mention either of these yuckos

:xy/Bruxish: :xy/watchog:

Last edited:
Volcarona needs to go. Watching it in play, both using, playing against, and spectating... If you don't have a good check to it, you lose to it so hard. Either from it slicing through your team like a hot knife through butter, or 6-0ing your team by itself.

Absolutely disgusting what I witnessed tonight, and on a garbage team no less.

For 1 second I thought you were talking about that ugly ass cat that keeps terrorizing the tier with that flower move and knock off, ugh. Hope its move gets nerfed to 20 and loses knock off next gen so it falls to the depths of ZU :psysly:

In other news the mon I'm happy to see thriving this gen is Dragonite, he's always been good but this gen he's at his peak. Top 10 in usage but the most insane thing is how he's so good in doubles and VGC too. Tera is the 2nd best thing that happened to him after Multiscale.

In the world of competitive Pokemon battling, trainers are always on the lookout for the strongest and most versatile Pokemon to add to their roster. While Kyurem Black may be a popular choice among trainers due to its impressive stats and moves, Baxcalibur is a hidden gem that far surpasses Kyurem Black in every way. I will present a compelling argument that Baxcalibur is, in fact, superior to Kyurem Black in competitive battles, thanks to its unique stat spread, signature move, and ability, making it an unstoppable force on the battlefield.

Baxcalibur's stat spread is unparalleled, making it a versatile and powerful Pokemon that outshines Kyurem Black in every relevant category. With a staggering 115 HP stat, Baxcalibur is an incredibly resilient Pokemon that can take a beating and keep on fighting. Its massive attack stat of 145 is leagues ahead of Kyurem Black's, allowing Baxcalibur to deal devastating damage with physical moves that can knock out most opponents in one hit. With its 92 defense and 86 special defense, Baxcalibur is a true tank that can withstand even the most powerful moves.

Moreover, Baxcalibur's signature move, Glaive Rush, is a true game-changer that puts it head and shoulders above Kyurem Black. With an incredible base power of 120, Glaive Rush can knock out even the toughest Pokemon in one hit, regardless of whether they typically resist such powerful moves. Though the move has a significant drawback of doubling the damage taken from moves for the rest of the turn, Baxcalibur's massive HP pool can absorb multiple hits and still keep on fighting. This move alone can shift the tide of any battle and secure the trainer's victory, making Baxcalibur an indispensable asset in any competitive match.

Furthermore, Baxcalibur's unique ability, Thermal Exchange, sets it apart from Kyurem Black and gives it a massive advantage in battle. By making it immune to burns, Thermal Exchange shields Baxcalibur from one of the most common status conditions in competitive battles. This immunity allows Baxcalibur to be an aggressive and resilient attacker, free from the fear of being weakened by a burn. Not only does this ability make Baxcalibur a difficult Pokemon to take down, but it also allows it to deal massive damage to opponents without fear of being worn down by status moves.

In conclusion, Baxcalibur's superiority over Kyurem Black in competitive battles is clear and indisputable. Its unmatched stat spread, signature move, and unique ability make it an unstoppable force on the battlefield that can take down almost any opponent with ease. Baxcalibur's strength, versatility, and resilience make it a fearsome Pokemon that can dominate the competitive scene and claim victory in any battle it enters. Any trainer who fails to recognize the power of Baxcalibur does so at their peril, as this hidden gem has the potential to be the ultimate champion of the Pokemon world.

tl;dr: Baxcalibur>>>>> Kyurem-Black, so Use Baxcalibur before it gets yeeted out of the meta

awyp

is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
In the world of competitive Pokemon battling, trainers are always on the lookout for the strongest and most versatile Pokemon to add to their roster. While Kyurem Black may be a popular choice among trainers due to its impressive stats and moves, Baxcalibur is a hidden gem that far surpasses Kyurem Black in every way. I will present a compelling argument that Baxcalibur is, in fact, superior to Kyurem Black in competitive battles, thanks to its unique stat spread, signature move, and ability, making it an unstoppable force on the battlefield.

Baxcalibur's stat spread is unparalleled, making it a versatile and powerful Pokemon that outshines Kyurem Black in every relevant category. With a staggering 115 HP stat, Baxcalibur is an incredibly resilient Pokemon that can take a beating and keep on fighting. Its massive attack stat of 145 is leagues ahead of Kyurem Black's, allowing Baxcalibur to deal devastating damage with physical moves that can knock out most opponents in one hit. With its 92 defense and 86 special defense, Baxcalibur is a true tank that can withstand even the most powerful moves.

Moreover, Baxcalibur's signature move, Glaive Rush, is a true game-changer that puts it head and shoulders above Kyurem Black. With an incredible base power of 120, Glaive Rush can knock out even the toughest Pokemon in one hit, regardless of whether they typically resist such powerful moves. Though the move has a significant drawback of doubling the damage taken from moves for the rest of the turn, Baxcalibur's massive HP pool can absorb multiple hits and still keep on fighting. This move alone can shift the tide of any battle and secure the trainer's victory, making Baxcalibur an indispensable asset in any competitive match.

Furthermore, Baxcalibur's unique ability, Thermal Exchange, sets it apart from Kyurem Black and gives it a massive advantage in battle. By making it immune to burns, Thermal Exchange shields Baxcalibur from one of the most common status conditions in competitive battles. This immunity allows Baxcalibur to be an aggressive and resilient attacker, free from the fear of being weakened by a burn. Not only does this ability make Baxcalibur a difficult Pokemon to take down, but it also allows it to deal massive damage to opponents without fear of being worn down by status moves.

In conclusion, Baxcalibur's superiority over Kyurem Black in competitive battles is clear and indisputable. Its unmatched stat spread, signature move, and unique ability make it an unstoppable force on the battlefield that can take down almost any opponent with ease. Baxcalibur's strength, versatility, and resilience make it a fearsome Pokemon that can dominate the competitive scene and claim victory in any battle it enters. Any trainer who fails to recognize the power of Baxcalibur does so at their peril, as this hidden gem has the potential to be the ultimate champion of the Pokemon world.

tl;dr: Baxcalibur>>>>> Kyurem-Black, so Use Baxcalibur before it gets yeeted out of the meta
As a Baxcalibur apologist / supporter, I agree with what you're saying. I think Baxcalibur is still underrated and I think before Pokémon HOME comes out (has the potential) to be a top 10 mon in terms of usage. It can't get burnt, if you want to hit it with a fire move it does increase it's physical attack, has access to Dragon Dance + Icicle Spear / Crash and has fantastic bulk. Works really well with Choice Band / Heavy-Duty Boots / Loaded Dice.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Dragon Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 306-360 (60.7 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Dragon Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 163-192 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Nothing is really safe against it.

Blissey @ lefties
Calm mind softboiled flamethrower psychic
Fairy tera

Wake is no issue. Calm mind is a win condition once big boys are gone and you can chip away at them pretty easily. Psychic does like 45 to tusk which always always comes in on blissey, and tries to close combat on the fairy tera taking a second.

Just showing some blissey love. Doesn't look like we're banning Wake and blissey doesn't have to be a momentum sink

As a Baxcalibur apologist / supporter, I agree with what you're saying. I think Baxcalibur is still underrated and I think before Pokémon HOME comes out (has the potential) to be a top 10 mon in terms of usage. It can't get burnt, if you want to hit it with a fire move it does increase it's physical attack, has access to Dragon Dance + Icicle Spear / Crash and has fantastic bulk. Works really well with Choice Band / Heavy-Duty Boots / Loaded Dice.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Dragon Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 306-360 (60.7 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Dragon Baxcalibur Glaive Rush vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 163-192 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Nothing is really safe against it.
While I agree Bax is great, saying it is better than Kyurem B is too much. Not only Kyurem outdamages Bax, but with every boost the damage difference gets bigger because Kyurem attack gets boosted more, while Kyurem also can bypass unaware and has other options like being able to run it mixed or roost.

Not sure why we're comparing the two when the latter is unreleased

awyp

RMT Leader
While I agree Bax is great, saying it is better than Kyurem B is too much. Not only Kyurem outdamages Bax, but with every boost the damage difference gets bigger because Kyurem attack gets boosted more, while Kyurem also can bypass unaware and has other options like being able to run it mixed or roost.
Yeah to be fair I don't necessarily agree its better I just agree that Baxcalibur is underrated.

ignore the haters baxcalibur is god almighty to me and will always prevail over kyurem black

so this isn't a one-liner how viable is a sub +DD set w/ ice body w/ chilly reception slowking?

awyp

RMT Leader
Opinions on Lokix in OU with a good entry hazard remover (Cinderace, Tusk + Hatt)?

Opinions on Lokix in OU with a good entry hazard remover (Cinderace, Tusk + Hatt)?
Too finnicky and high-maintenance to be a genuine OU threat in its own right, but the power of that Banded First Impression has to be respected so it can get away with a lot it normally shouldn't. Once Home drops and we have more than this pittance of entry hazard removers/bouncers I think it'll pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)