Swearing and taboo words in media

Where I live, swearing is very taboo. For instance, one of my friends wrote a play in high school which included the words "hell" and "damn", and got suspended for a week. Also, the same friend makes these posters for the grocery store where we work at(he's very talented). This one poster had the word "freaking" on it and someone got offended by that, and it was taken down. And just to drive it home, I personally didn't know what the word, actually I didn't know it even existed, "cunt" meant until I was 18. I'm not joking, if someone said that word where I live, I literally think they would be stoned to death.

I just do not like the abrasiveness of swear words, so I don't use them(though I will admit, I have let some loose when I'm angry). I don't mine other people using them as long as it doesn't take away from what they are saying. Also, it's deemed unprofessional in media outlets. It's the same reason why you don't turn on the news and don't see Katie Couric in short shorts and tube top.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
There's a huge difference between swearing on the internet and swearing in real life. At least, there is for me. In real time, my mouth often moves faster than my brain, so whereas when I'm writing this post I can thoughtfully construct proper sentences and select carefully my words, in real life I often throw in a swear word here and there to give my brain time to catch up. I still have an extensive vocabulary and I don't swear excessively to the point of crudeness (or irrelevance from overuse), but I'm certainly much less measured and deliberate when I swear in real life.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I find it naive to assert that swearing should be cut out of literature, or that swear words should be cut out of one's vocabulary. I would start by pointing out that it is redundant to censor what are called swear words: the status of a word as a swear word implies a desire for that word to be censored. To say that you want to cut out swear words in writing is to say that you want to cut out words that society wants to be disavowed. What a bold statement!

Moving away from that, why should a writer censor his character? The character that would swear would not censor his/herself, this is not realistic writing. I think it is much more useful to let your character swear, then it may be all the more powerful or descriptive when you write the character into a situation where he attempts to censor himself. A dockhand would probably avoid swearing at a military officer for example. So if your vulgar character has a particular associate who he doesn't use swear words with, that sends a message to the reader about those characters' relationship with one another.

Well, I thing it has to do a lot with your culture, here you listen someone swear on a constant basis, so the "shock power" of them is not really high, I swear on occasion, not really constantly but I tend to use them without a lot of previous tought, but something that happened to me when I traveled to Canada, since I always swear in English, and also a huge part of my classmates (we went together), so when we were there we felt kind of strange about the whole thing, I think in a way we didn't want to look bad, so we avoided to do in it in public, I think swearing shows that, using it with moderation it's ok, but overusing it then comes across as immature and even annoying

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
I don't mind the swearing in literature. Or in movies. Or in music.

Anywho, swearing doesn't really bother me, and I've asked people who I talk to if it bothers them when I swear. Most people reply to me saying that "They're just words" or something along those lines. I think that's a common answer to "Do you hate it when I curse?" Though I sort of have a limit when it comes to swearing in my own house. My parents are Christian, so they tend to scream at my sister and I when we say "Shit" or "Fuck". I keep the swearing to a minimum there, because I have a respect for my parents and their wishes. That doesn't mean I don't curse when I'm around friends. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't make me sound like someone with a low vocabulary or some vulgar idiot, and I don't think they think that either. I certainly don't think that when they curse. Though I wouldn't curse at, say, a boss at a job during an interview or something. I guess it just has to do with the situation, if given.

Dunno, that's just me. I mean, I swear all the fucking time.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
each "swear" word has its own connotation and definition, right? synonyms, too. so, while it's far too easy to misuse a word, there are still contexts and circumstances that call for certain words because they are what's correct, and appropriate. I don't mean appropriate in terms of how "good" or "bad" a word is, but if you're describing an elephant, it would be inappropriate to describe the elephant as "tiny." It is appropriate to call the elephant "large."

However, that's moreso touching on appropriateness in terms of accuracy, but hopefully you catch my drift? In literature especially, there is a time and place for you to use each and every fucking word in the english language. It is apparent when words are superfluous, and really do nothing to enhance a sentence's tone or idea. Profanity is no different, and it is entirely true that an excess use of profanity conveys a lacking vocabulary as much as excess use of any other word or groups of words.

"Fucking Tom brought his fucking dog to the pet store and tried to buy all the fucking dog food."

Yeah this guy is probably very upset complaining about Tom, but:

"Silly Tom brought his silly dog to the pet store and tried to buy all the silly dog food."

Either way, all you can gather about this guy talking about Tom is that he's pretty overzealous in describing what Tom was doing. It doesn't matter which adjective you use, all tone is lost if the sentence becomes less of a construction and more of a pattern of words.

basically, profanity should hold no more water than any other word to determine it's use. Language is meant to be colorful, diverse, but most importantly, understandable. Using each and every word as they're meant to be used, succinctly and without excessive wear, are the building blocks toward expressing clear and prominent ideas. I hope I aptly expressed what I wanted to, but if not, fuck all y'all

^yep, people who fight for "swearing rights" and people who are obsessed with censorship / propriety are equally annoying ( but at least i've found a way to feel superior to both! ). swear words have a beautiful affect that can't be denied -- in the same way that the rotten scent of a garbage can is a unique qualia so we cannot reject words from the english language especially those which are especially evocative

sometimes a sentence just needs "motherfucker" in it, but most of the time it doesn't (not applying for censorship just for proper use of language bitches)

Nowadays, pretty much all swear words have been desensitized to the point wear toddlers use them. At this point I don't think any words should be censored, adding in swear words would definitely make the media stories more interesting and enjoyable to a lot of the population.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I use swearing as punctuation - as a means to emphasize meaning and modify certain words to be stronger or more provocative. I can understand why it is commonly viewed as the last refuge of those with poor vocabulary - because it often is. Imprecise or gratuitous use of swear words undermines the only reason one should use them - to add extra weight to thoughts or phrases.

That said, all this is within the context of formal writing or when I am otherwise undertaking a pursuit of substantial rhetorical value (such as giving a speech). Swearing is an immutable part of informal language, and I use it as such. There is such a thing is excessive swearing even in this context, though, although the line is generally much more vague - simply because swearing in an informal context often serves to do little but establish a sense of...well, informality.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I don't think I have a poor vocabulary and i'm very far from uneducated, but swear words are some of my favorite adverbs. Gone are the days of "very" and "incredibly" when you can say "it was damn funny" and "that thing is fucking huge." I dunno, I just swear a lot and I think i should probably cut down on how much I do swear

On the other hand, it is context appropriate. I never swear in, say, church, or in front of my parents. I try to keep in mind when it's appropriate. And you have to use it correctly in a sentence, and with some moderation. The people who say "fuckity fucky fucker fuck fuck fucking Joe is fucking fucker fucky fuck fuck fucking good at fucking fuck fucker fucking basketball" are only good for a laugh because they're just such a joke

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)