Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Did one test to see the damage multiplier on transistor.

Method: Used Skill Swap on Regieleki. Noted damage before and after it lost its ability. Regieleki used Electroweb.
Before Skill Swap
20201023_011133.jpg

After Skill Swap
20201023_011044.jpg

20201023_011006.jpg
20201023_005452.jpg

Regieleki's Transistor boosted Electroweb did 82 damage to Alakazam. Electric-terrain boosted electro web does 81 damage at max. This means that the damage multiplier is guaranteed to be greater than 1.3.

Lvl 70 0 SpA Regieleki Electroweb vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam: 51-61 (33.1 - 39.6%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
Lvl 70 0 SpA Electabuzz Electroweb vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam in Electric Terrain: 67-81 (43.5 - 52.5%) -- 17.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
What happens to Calyrex's moves when it switches forms?
Hypothesis: Glacial Lance and Astral Barrage will be exclusive to their respective forms, similar to Kyurem and Necrozma, but everything else will carry over, similar to Deoxys and Shaymin.

Hypothesis: Glacial Lance and Astral Barrage will be exclusive to their respective forms, similar to Kyurem and Necrozma, but everything else will carry over, similar to Deoxys and Shaymin.
The implementation detail here has actually varied between cases, specifically when it comes to hacked movesets containing multiple copies of the signature move: if Necrozma unfuses, or Rotom switches forms, only the first instance of its old move will be deleted. Kyurem works differently: no moves typically get deleted for it, and it replaces all instances of Glaciate with the charge move and Scary Face with the fusion move, or vice versa when unfusing. (Starting in Sw/Sh, where it's legally possible for an already-fused Kyurem to learn Scary Face by TM, if it has both Scary Face and the fusion move at the same time, the Scary Face slot gets deleted before applying those move transitions during unfuse.)

Calyrex could plausibly follow the precedent of either of those.

There are two separate abilities (#265 and #266) that both use "As One" as their name string. Each one of course combines the appropriate two effects. Showdown might want to disambiguate them with "As One (S)" and "As One (I)" or such (for teambuilder/hackmons purposes), though as one of the components uses an ability popup, that would probably look ugly.

There are two separate abilities (#265 and #266) that both use "As One" as their name string. Each one of course combines the appropriate two effects. Showdown might want to disambiguate them with "As One (S)" and "As One (I)" or such (for teambuilder/hackmons purposes), though as one of the components uses an ability popup, that would probably look ugly.
The abilities use three different pop-ups, only one of which says "As One".

Since the abilities are already not beholden to their names, the most obvious solution would be to call them "As One (Ice)" and "As One (Shadow)" exclusively in the team builder and in the mouseover text of your own Pokemon.

I see. Also, can Calyrex, Spectrier and Glastrier Dynamax?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
"As One" is two separate abilities with the same name as mentioned by several people above. They are hard-coded to use the appropriate Neigh regardless of the Pokemon they are attached to.

Any Pokemon with either As One ability displays "As One" and "Unnerve" upon entry.

If an Alolan Sandslash is given As One (Glastrier), upon KO, it activates Chilling Neigh.
If an Alolan Sandslash is given As One (Spectrier), upon KO, it activates Grim Neigh.

If a Pokemon has previously used a move in battle, is switched out, and then switches in on Eerie Spell, does that move lose PP? If a Pokemon hasn't yet used a move and is brought in on Eerie Spell, does the first move in its moveset lose PP or anything like that? I'm just wondering if switching endlessly basically neuters Slowking-G.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It deletes all moves that can't be learned by base Calyrex. The game allows it to keep anything in relearn, anything in level-up, and any TM/TRs it can learn.

Oh, and if all 4 moves are deleted, it gets Confusion.

Anubis

HONK
Yeah, with Necrozma it was Confusion as well. With Kyurem it was Scary Face and with Rotom it's Thunder Shock.
If you look at SciresM's tweet, this function is actually hard coded to set the move to 93 which we can match up to the move data dumps:

1603563907533.png

More interesting is that it's a generic function and also checks type tutors (pledges, hydro cannon and similar, draco meteor, steel beam) even though the only mon currently affected doesn't get any of those.

Do Transistor and Dragon's Maw work like fairy/dark aura and boost a partners move of the respective types? sorry if this belongs in the simple questions section

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Some mechanics with Calyrex:
  • You can only legitimately have one Calyrex fusion per cartridge (same as Kyurem formes). Reins of Unity only lets you fuse / unfuse, and you can only ever do either / or (and fused Calyrex can't be traded / put in Home etc.).
  • As One has the same "Ability priority bracket" as Unnerve. This means that like Unnerve, it will activate prior to hazard damage. It also means you can tell the relative Speed stats of an Unnerve and As One Pokemon by which activates first. It also means Neutralizing Gas triggers prior to its activation (though as Marty has already said, Neutralizing Gas fails to negate either Unnerve or the Neigh ability).
  • If you already at max Attack from Chilling Neigh and take a further KO, Chilling Neigh does not activate to say you're at max Attack or something like that (identical behavior as Moxie).
  • Trace cannot copy As One.
Lunar Dance has identical storage mechanics to Healing Wish. That is, using Lunar Dance -> switching to a healthy Pokemon that hasn't consumed PP won't use up Lunar Dance; it's only when you switch to an Pokemon where Lunar Dance would do something that Lunar Dance kicks in.

To all the hackmons fans out there: hacking in Red Orb on Groudon does absolutely nothing. It doesn't even attempt to transform and crash the game; it just does nothing.

Can Imposter copy As One?
Yes, and it functions just fine.

Do Transistor and Dragon's Maw work like fairy/dark aura and boost a partners move of the respective types? sorry if this belongs in the simple questions section
No, they don't affect allies at all.

Last edited:
Lunar Dance has identical storage mechanics to Healing Wish. That is, using Lunar Dance -> switching to a healthy Pokemon won't use up Lunar Dance; it's only when you switch to an unhealthy Pokemon that Lunar Dance kicks in.
Does this mean switching in a Pokémon that is healthy but is missing pp on some of its moves will not cause Lunar Dance to kick in?

Can Lunar Dance and Healing Wish both be stored at the same time?
If so, do they both get used up at the same time, effectively making them both being stored useless outside of the fact that Lunar Dance triggers if you are missing pp but otherwise healthy, or does only one of them trigger?

Last edited:
I'd like some confirmation on these:
  • Can Core Enforcer disable Neutralizing Gas?
  • Can Core Enforcer disable As One? (I suspect not)
  • For the matter, can Worry Seed or Gastro Acid disable As One? (I suspect not, but may as well check)
  • Core Enforcer still cannot suppress the ability of switch-ins...right? (It's possible that it's gone the way of Fishious Rend instead)
  • Is the true multiplier of Transistor and Dragon's Maw 1.5x? (I've witnessed people completely convinced that the multiplier is 1.5 based on the similarity of their wording to Steelworker's)

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Before the game released, National Dex took some time to figure how we should treat Power Construct and its HP recovery when Zygarde Dynamaxed. Was anyone able to do some more extensive testing now that it's avaliable? Does it recover the same amount as base Zygarde would percentage wise (as it just added the HP from Complete while removing the HP already lost on base forme, but Dynamax doubles that while making some mechanics deal a lot less, like Endeavor, so the HP recovered could be different)?

Before the game released, National Dex took some time to figure how we should treat Power Construct and its HP recovery when Zygarde Dynamaxed. Was anyone able to do some more extensive testing now that it's avaliable? Does it recover the same amount as base Zygarde would percentage wise (as it just added the HP from Complete while removing the HP already lost on base forme, but Dynamax doubles that while making some mechanics deal a lot less, like Endeavor, so the HP recovered could be different)?
I've fought Zygarde twice in raids, and one time it was able to go from the yellow all the way to the green. Im positive it takes it's current health into account instead of its base considering this, but until i catch it myself im not 100% positive.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
You can see footage of me testing this myself. With 418 max HP, level 100, and no Dynamax Candies (HP multiplier of 1.5x), triggering Power Construct took Zygarde from 147/627 HP -> 471/951 HP, which is a +324 HP boost. Given that normally at level 100 Zygarde recovers 216 HP, you can see it is factoring in Dynamax here, recovering 216*1.5 HP. This means that while Dynamaxed with 10 Dynamax Candies, level 100 Zygarde -> Zygarde-Complete will gain 432 HP, and level 50 Zygarde -> Zygarde-Complete will gain 216 HP.

tl;dr it doubles the recovery identically to how PS currently does it.

I'd like some confirmation on these:
  • Is the true multiplier of Transistor and Dragon's Maw 1.5x? (I've witnessed people completely convinced that the multiplier is 1.5 based on the similarity of their wording to Steelworker's)
Yes, Transistor / Dragon's Maw is a 1.5x attack modifier. This was demonstrated by Japanese damage formula researcher OZY, who is a very trustworthy source on the damage formula (video evidence is provided in that tweet).

I'll get to some of the other questions later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)