Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Isnt Libero better than Protean? You get the new Typing before you attack. Gren for example, would be forced out against a, mach punch breloom, as the Typing changes upon/while you are attacking and this at leadt sounds like that the type change has pseudo priority

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
This isn't a battle mechanic, but I still think it needs to be pointed out. Overworld Pokemon do not appear Shiny if they are until you run into them. I know that Rookidee was blue! Speaking of that beautiful (after evolution) bird...

I was in more or less exactly the same scenario -- Corvisquire on Grassy Terrain -- and I didn't get healing from it. Seems like a demo bug that has now been fixed.
Something that happened in my playthrough makes terrains even more confusing. After Gigantamax Grimsnarl used Max Starfall and started Misty Terrain, G-Max Snooze did not make my Corviknight drowsy or make him fall asleep. Maybe it's because Grimsnarl was grounded?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
How much damage does Mimikyu take when Disguise is broken, 10% or 12.5%?

If Mimikyu is hit with a move that would do less than the Disguise damage, does it still take the full Disguise damage?

Just a random observation from in-game play that may or may not be correct, but Brine may double in power when the user has a status condition now.

I was training on some Arrokuda and the damage I took from >50% HP Brine while it was paralyzed seemed to be about the same as the damage I took when the same Arrokuda dropped below 50% HP.

I could have just noticed things wrong but I think it's worth checking.

If you are holding a Choice item, and the move you used gets diabled, what happens when you dynamax? On PS, it forces you to Struggle, which becomes Max Strike, which then fails.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
If you are holding a Choice item, and the move you used gets diabled, what happens when you dynamax? On PS, it forces you to Struggle, which becomes Max Strike, which then fails.
It's been found here multiple times now that on cart you are allowed to choose from your moves as normal and skip out on the Choice boost. When dynamax wears off, you get to choose again and are then locked back in and get the boost.

We saw in the demo that terrains effected flying types (we saw a corvinight heal from grassy terrain)

So is this still a thing? Do terrains effect non grounded pokemon now or was it just a bug in the demo?

Id love if someone can test this out, thanks in advance!
This wasn't a demo bug, it was someone failing to recognize that Drednaw in the demo had, and used, Smack Down, causing Corviknight to be grounded after all.

If your Choice-locked move has been disabled, clicking the Fight button should immediately lock you into Struggle without even giving you an opportunity to click Dynamax, if the precedent from how Z-moves work in that case still holds. We've already seen from earlier in the topic that if a Pokemon that's already maxed properly runs out of PP on everything, it will use a plain old Struggle that doesn't get upgraded to a max move of any sort.

Just a random observation from in-game play that may or may not be correct, but Brine may double in power when the user has a status condition now.

I was training on some Arrokuda and the damage I took from >50% HP Brine while it was paralyzed seemed to be about the same as the damage I took when the same Arrokuda dropped below 50% HP.

I could have just noticed things wrong but I think it's worth checking.
Wait I’m confused. Brine’s base power has always been based on the target’s HP, not the user’s.

If your Pokémon’s HP was >50% for both Brines or <50% for both Brines, then the move was working as it always has.

Last edited:
3- It's been confirmed that dynamax pokemon don't die to Destiny bond, but what if the pokemon comes out of dynamax on the same turn? Here is a replay that illustrates this scenario. Turn 12 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8randombattle-1012819875
They still wouldn't faint. Showdown has the Dynamax reversion take place at an incorrect time. The Dynamax reversion is really only supposed to happen after the opponent's replacement switches in. Meaning that the player would still be Dynamaxed temporarily after the opponent replaces their Pokemon that used Destiny Bond.

Does burn half the damage of Body Press?
There's no reason it wouldn't. Body Press is a just an ordinary physical attack that happens to do more damage the higher the user's Defense stat is. It has no special relationship with the attack stat whatsoever.

There's no reason it wouldn't. Body Press is a just an ordinary physical attack that happens to do more damage the higher the user's Defense stat is. It has no special relationship with the attack stat whatsoever.
Oh, ok, so burn doesn't half ATK but rather the damage of physical attacks. Apparently this change was introduced in gen3

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
There's conflicting information about how exactly body press is calculated, whether a higher defense just increases the BP like how electro ball works, or whether it actually uses the defense stat to calculate damage.

4- A user reports that he is getting Max Hailstorm when maxing lapras instead of g resonance.
4a- Is it possible that they dynamaxed instead of gigamaxing?
4b- How can the player decide whether a pokemon is gigantamaxed or dynamaxed?
It's determined by a flag on the pokémon itself. Gigantamax pokemon have one of those stylized red X's on the summary screen next to their level, regular pokemon don't. There's no way to change a normal pokemon into a gigantamaxable one and vice versa. The only way to obtain them ingame is through raids (or the gift charmander in postgame) and it can't be passed down onto children through breeding.

How much damage does Mimikyu take when Disguise is broken, 10% or 12.5%?

If Mimikyu is hit with a move that would do less than the Disguise damage, does it still take the full Disguise damage?
It's always the same amount of damage no matter how powerful the attack was.

Oh, ok, so burn doesn't half ATK but rather the damage of physical attacks. Apparently this change was introduced in gen3
A lot of people think that and I believe it's because of the hover over display in PS that shows your Attack halved when you are burned, which is a mistake I've noticed for quite a while now.

I didn't report it because I'm sure people that implemented it know about it, as technically it changes minimal things (1 or 2 HP damage off, between being burned and being at 0.5x Atk), and gives a decently good info to the player, but it is not exactly accurate.

Last edited:
There's conflicting information about how exactly body press is calculated, whether a higher defense just increases the BP like how electro ball works, or whether it actually uses the defense stat to calculate damage.
Either way, it should have nothing to do with the attack stat, correct? Meaning it still would have no special relationship with burn.

-Edit: Burn has nothing to do with the Attack stat, so all the more reason to believe the physical damage is still halved.

Silvally @ Memory using a max Multi Attack does the corresponding max move to said type instead of Max Strike, but it'll say Max Strike on the move selection screen.
So this is consistent with Weather Ball behaviour (also shows Max Strike, but will use the corresponding Max attack instead)

Would need someone to check for Nature Power's behaviour in this regard.
Pokemon that learn it:

1. 267 Nature Power Bulbasaur, Oddish, Corsola-0, Corsola-1, Lotad, Lombre, Ludicolo, Seedot, Nuzleaf, Shiftry, Cherubi, Cottonee, Grookey
If noone has checked this by this night i'll go check this myself as well. I assume it should be simple... can just dinamax, use it , then use max-overgrowth to set grassy terrain, and then use it again.
(In before it just changes to Max Guard since it's a status move)

- Dynamaxing with a hacked ability retains it while Dynamaxed and afterwards (tested with Moody on Ribombee).
Is this also true for Gigantamaxing a Pokémon? They look like they would be more in line with regular form changes where Typings and Abilities would reset.

Is this also true for Gigantamaxing a Pokémon? They look like they would be more in line with regular form changes where Typings and Abilities would reset.
Gigamax is still a normal Dinamax with the twist of having a specific move altered. I see no reason for this being a thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)