Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Can you test on more than just two Pokemon please?

0 Atk Onix Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Noctowl: 86-102 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

(86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 102)

+1 0 Atk Onix Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0+ Def Noctowl: 106-125 (60.5 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(106, 107, 108, 110, 111, 112, 113, 115, 116, 117, 118, 120, 121, 122, 123, 125)

This isn't even messing with IVs, just natures, and you end up with high and low rolls close enough to easily be mistaken for identical damage.
I guess it could have been the case... not helped by the fact I didn't know where the Morimoto battle was to have a quick double battle to test with. But I found it anyways.

I did the test with these two Pokémon.

1574965488762.png

1574965506356.png

This is the expected damage range with an Eviolite equipped.

1574965359933.png

It requires a little more attention than I expected as Body Press lacks an animation when used against an ally (as it tends to happen) but I got these rolls with an Eviolite equipped: 53, 59, 57, 60, 57, 61, 59, 56, 55. Not even once Dracovish got under 240 HP after a Body Press.

257 Def Onix Body Press vs 303 HP/222 Def Dracovish: (51, 52, 53, 53, 54, 54, 55, 56, 56, 57, 57, 58, 59, 59, 60, 61)

Last edited:
If people need a quick double battle to test with, you can use the Cafe Guy just west of the middle Poke Center in Hammerlocke

Last edited:
A crosspost from the Battle Tower thread in the Orange Islands subforum:

There are a small number of Battle Tower Trainers other than Leon who are able to Dynamax their Pokémon. Notably, the Dynamax armband is on those Trainers' character models and can be seen in the "versus" screen when the battle starts. All the ones identified so far are at the very end of the Tower data dump with the multiple versions of Leon, but I'm not sure where it "starts" on the list.

To my knowledge, every non-Tower AI capable of using Dynamax saves it for a specific final Pokémon and uses it on that Pokémon's first turn out. This also applies to Leon in the Tower, but -does not- apply to non-Leon Dynamax users in the Tower. I've seen a Dynamax-capable AI use it on their lead as well as their other Pokémon, and I've seen them not use Dynamax at all despite it being the exact same Trainer using it in a previous fight.

My question is, what is the non-Leon Dynamax-using AI's impetus for activating Dynamax in the Tower? Does it have to be a good type matchup, either offensively or defensively? Do they have to outspeed you? Are there any Pokémon exempt from this rule (I've seen one avoid Dynamaxing as Ditto, though it was not Impostor Ditto)? Do they have to have full HP at the time of use (the previous Ditto did not die on Turn 1 after Transforming into my Clefable)?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Sounds like a mistranslation. The Choice Band was not "working" but "equipped".

All that remains is testing if it works with an Eviolite. I 'could' test it but I don't have a TR99...
Wait, is it a mistranslation or not? Do Hustle/CB boost Body Press?

I can't really test this one, but for clarity - does Snipe Shot ignore Storm Drain in Single Battles?
Snipe Shot only ignores Storm Drain's redirection, like Water Pledge does for some reason. If the move naturally hits something with Storm Drain, either because the target fainted or was switched to something with Storm Drain, or because you were silly enough to use it directly against something with Storm Drain, then Storm Drain will still activate.

Does Slush Rush negate hail damage this gen?

also, I can't test this for myself so can someone please test Gulp Missile at exactly 50% HP... have your opponent use Super Fang on your even-HPed Cramorant or something like that

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How does Ripen interact with Lansat Berry (Does it achieve 100% crit stage) and Starf Berry (Does one stat go up to +4, or do two random stats go up by +2?)

A mistranslation in that what he meant was that Hustle and the Choice Band were active (as in "no Embargo, Gastro Acid or anything like that") but they were not boosting anything.
But if you do the calcs with choice band, it matches with the results of that test. Without band those damage rolls are impossible, so I don't think there was a mistranslation but that's how the move actually works. Here's the damage output calced with band: (67, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79),
and this is without: (45, 45, 46, 46, 47, 47, 48, 48, 49, 49, 50, 50, 51, 51, 52, 53)

I think we already know that if one of the foes uses Protect, or is Fairy type, then both of your Dragon Darts will both hit the other foe.

But what happens if one uses Protect, and the other is Fairy type?

Also, I think someone already asked that when using Dragon Darts, does it force you to target both foes, or do you get a choice, but I don't remember seeing anyone answer?

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Pollen Puff is in the game.
Why would Powder Snow be a powder move? I get it, powder is in the name, but it is obvious that it is a totally different kind of powder...

The Sandblast move hits any grounded Pokémon, and the secondary effect affects everyone on the team, grounded or not.
Powder is powder and it would make sense

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
Does Blade Aegislash reverts to its Shield form if it uses King's Shield!Max Guard? If it does, does it reverts to its Shield form with Max Guard in general?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)