Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
G-Max Replenish will restore Berries to both allies 50% of the time. The combined efforts of tests from myself, Pigeons, Josh Mecham, and peach gave us a sample size of 234 uses of G-Max Replenish in Doubles play. It successfully restored Berries 116/234 times.

G-Max Replenish has a unique animation that plays whenever it will roll the Berry restoring effect. This special animation will only play if it would restore Berries (if it can't restore Berries, the animation doesn't play). Note the special animation towards the second half of this Twitter video.

It restores the Berries in order of user's left slot -> user's right slot. If both Pokemon's Berries have been consumed naturally, both Pokemon will always have their Berries restored (you never get one restored and not the other, unless it was destroyed via Knock Off/Bug Bite etc.). If only one Pokemon has a Berry to be restored, it will restore it (it doesn't matter if it's Snorlax or its ally).

Sun being active does not guarantee G-Max Replenish will restore Berries on use. It's still only a 50% chance (it's not Harvest).

G-Max Replenish cannot restore a Berry under the following conditions:
  • The Berry was removed via Knock Off
  • The Berry was burned up via Incinerate
  • The Berry was eaten due to Bug Bite / Pluck
  • The Berry was taken by an ally with Pickup
G-Max Replenish can restore a Berry under the following conditions:
  • The Berry was obtained as a result of Pickup, then eaten naturally (e.g. Snorlax eats Kee Berry -> Meowth's Pickup restores Kee Berry to Meowth. Meowth consumes Kee Berry -> Snorlax uses G-Max Replenish -> Meowth restores Kee Berry, but Snorlax does not).
  • The Berry was flung via Fling (e.g. ally uses Fling with Kee Berry ->Snorlax uses G-Max Replenish -> ally restores Kee Berry).

Note: 116/234 isn't the best for demonstrating that it really is 50% (95% confidence interval is (43.52 , 56.48) ), so if someone wants to supplement these tests, I would encourage it.

Last edited:
G-Max Replenish will restore Berries to both allies 50% of the time. The combined efforts of tests from myself, Pigeons, Josh Mecham, and peach gave us a sample size of 234 uses of G-Max Replenish in Doubles play. It successfully restored Berries 116/234 times.

G-Max Replenish has a unique animation that plays whenever it will roll the Berry restoring effect. This special animation will only play if it would restore Berries (if it can't restore Berries, the animation doesn't play). Note the special animation towards the second half of this Twitter video.

It restores the Berries in order of user's left slot -> user's right slot. If both Pokemon's Berries have been consumed naturally, both Pokemon will always have their Berries restored (you never get one restored and not the other, unless it was destroyed via Knock Off/Bug Bite etc.). If only one Pokemon has a Berry to be restored, it will restore it (it doesn't matter if it's Snorlax or its ally).

Sun being active does not guarantee G-Max Replenish will restore Berries on use. It's still only a 50% chance (it's not Harvest).

G-Max Replenish cannot restore a Berry under the following conditions:
  • The Berry was removed via Knock Off
  • The Berry was burned up via Incinerate
  • The Berry was eaten due to Bug Bite / Pluck
  • The Berry was taken by an ally with Pickup
G-Max Replenish can restore a Berry under the following conditions:
  • The Berry was obtained as a result of Pickup, then eaten naturally (e.g. Snorlax eats Kee Berry -> Meowth's Pickup restores Kee Berry to Meowth. Meowth consumes Kee Berry -> Snorlax uses G-Max Replenish -> Meowth restores Kee Berry, but Snorlax does not).
  • The Berry was flung via Fling (e.g. ally uses Fling with Kee Berry ->Snorlax uses G-Max Replenish -> ally restores Kee Berry).

Note: 116/234 isn't the best for demonstrating that it really is 50% (95% confidence interval is (43.52 , 56.48) ), so if someone wants to supplement these tests, I would encourage it.
Is it 50% chance per Pokémon, or is it a 50% chance to replenish both berries or not at all?

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Is it 50% chance per Pokémon, or is it a 50% chance to replenish both berries or not at all?
50% to restore both Berries or not at all. There isn't any kind of "restores one but not the other", unless there's something like Knock Off involved.

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor
do bolt beak and fishious rend double power against pokemon who uturn out moving first?

I’ve been using a gigantamax heavy metal duraludon for quite a while and the strangest thing has been happening. He’s max speed but has been doubled by the weirdest pokemon, like Bewear, which should’t have been able to unless they were holding a choice scarf, which i can confirm wasn’t.

Other than this Bewear situation there was a time when Duraludon outsped a Drampa in the first turn, but then got outsped on the consecutive ones.

The only reason I can think of for this randomness to be happening is that Heavy Metal now occasionaly drops the pokemon’s priotity, and maybe Light Metal does the opposite?

Can someone please check if this is accurate.

All of this examples happened in the battle tower singles btw, but I had it happen in the tournament as well quite frequently. Pokemon that I outsped suddenly outspeeding me and vice versa. It would be ridiculous to call this a coincidence in speed by the amount of times this has happened, and besides, NEVER should a non scarf bewear and drampa outspeed a max speed Duraludon.

I’ve been using a gigantamax heavy metal duraludon for quite a while and the strangest thing has been happening. He’s max speed but has been doubled by the weirdest pokemon, like Bewear, which should’t have been able to unless they were holding a choice scarf, which i can confirm wasn’t.

Other than this Bewear situation there was a time when Duraludon outsped a Drampa in the first turn, but then got outsped on the consecutive ones.

The only reason I can think of for this randomness to be happening is that Heavy Metal now occasionaly drops the pokemon’s priotity, and maybe Light Metal does the opposite?

Can someone please check if this is accurate.

All of this examples happened in the battle tower singles btw, but I had it happen in the tournament as well quite frequently. Pokemon that I outsped suddenly outspeeding me and vice versa. It would be ridiculous to call this a coincidence in speed by the amount of times this has happened, and besides, NEVER should a non scarf bewear and drampa outspeed a max speed Duraludon.
What moves were you using? Dragon Tail is part of Duraludon's natural level-up learnset, and that's a negative priority move so using it will leave you outsped by almost anything.

What moves were you using? Dragon Tail is part of Duraludon's natural level-up learnset, and that's a negative priority move so using it will leave you outsped by almost anything.
Lol didn’t know that detail. I use a stealth rock, red card, dragon tail set so yeah, that was definitely it. Would’ve been cool if they added that effect to these abilities though, light metal could have become more viable.

I’m probably missing something here again but, aren’t we supossed to only be able to battle 15 battles per day in the galar beginnings tournament? I’ve done all these battles today and the game still doesn’t stop me if I keep looking for matches.

My rating is still changing as I win and lose.

Attachments

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I’m probably missing something here again but, aren’t we supossed to only be able to battle 15 battles per day in the galar beginnings tournament? I’ve done all these battles today and the game still doesn’t stop me if I keep looking for matches.

My rating is still changing as I win and lose.
The tournament's schedule is based on UTC, so you were already in day 3 at the time of your post.

The Gen 8 Balanced Hackmons players are prompting this: Does Fur Coat (or, heck, Fluffy) boost Body Press?
There is absolutely no reason Fluffy would ever affect Body Press, because it has nothing to do with physical defense. It halves the damage from contact moves, which doesn't include Earthquake and Stone Edge, but does include Draining Kiss and Grass Knot.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I didn't see it listed in the first post.
If you have a Pokemon with an "-ate" ability like Pixilate and they use Max Strike will the move stay Normal typing, become the typing the ability changes it to, or become the Max move of that respective type?

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Regarding Centiferno, I don't know if this has already been documented, but there is a quirk where the Fire Spin effect lasts for 4-5 turns even AFTER Centiskorch has fainted or is off the field, which is unlike actual Fire Spin or other partially trapping moves, unless they have been changed. I assume it's the same with Sandblast, but it needs to be tested.
I was testing other stuff but can confirm that the damage and trapping effect continue for G-Max Sandblast and G-Max Centiferno even after the user leaves the field.

- Since there's some deviation from regular Fire Spin behavior, I checked whether it was still 4-5 turns, and I observed both a 4-turn Fire Spin and a 5-turn Fire Spin from Centiferno.

- Grip Claw extends G-Max Sandblast and G-Max Centiferno binding effects to 7 turns.

- I'm in the process of testing whether the 4-5 trapping turns from G-Max Sandblast and G-Max Centiferno are rolled separately for the two opponents in double battles, but this takes an awfully long time. I observed 6 incidents of 5-turn trapping and 1 4-turn trapping and the opponents were both freed on the same turn. If anyone has ever seen the two opponents get freed at different times, that would resolve the question.

---

Kris had more Utility Umbrella questions.
Weather setters:
Desolate Land Drampa holding Utility Umbrella
Primordial Sea Turtonator holding Utility Umbrella
Sand Stream Tyranitar holding Utility Umbrella
Snow Warning Ninetales-Alola holding Utility Umbrella

Move and Ability Users:
Serene Grace Croagunk with no item, has Ice Punch, Thunder
Hydration Cubchoo with Utility Umbrella
Solar Power Helioptile with Utility Umbrella
Select videos; it's hard to find representative videos since most would be too long.

Does Utility Umbrella allow the holder to use Water moves in Desolate Land/Fire moves in Primordial Sea?
No, these moves are still unable to be used even while holding Utility Umbrella.

Does Utility Umbrella allow freezing to happen in the sun?
Yes, if the target is holding a Utility Umbrella, it can still be frozen.
I also tested whether freezing can happen in Sun to be sure nothing there had changed. I used Serene Grace + Ice Punch 22 times versus a non-Umbrella holding target with no freezes.

How does Solar Power interact with Utility Umbrella?
The Solar Power Pokemon holding Utility Umbrella doesn't take any damage in Sun and doesn't get a SpA boost.
At level 50, 81 SpA Helioptile Thunder Shock vs 78 SpD Wobbuffet did 27 damage.
0 SpA Helioptile Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Wobbuffet: 25-30 . Expected damage for Solar Power is 36-43.

Does Utility Umbrella nullify the 50% Sp. Def boost to Rock types in Sandstorm?
Seems that it doesn't.
At Level 50, 99 SpA Centiskorch Flamethrower vs 120 SpD Tyranitar did 15 damage.
0 SpA Charmander Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 14-17. Expected damage for no Sand bonus is 21-25.

Are weather-dependent accuracy moves (Thunder, Hurricane) still able to miss when used against a Pokemon holding Utility Umbrella (Hurricane Gyarados vs. Utility Umbrella Pokemon)?
I missed Thunder on a Pokemon holding Utility Umbrella in rain.

Is a statused Pokemon with Hydration holding Utility Umbrella cured in the rain or not?
Hydration did not heal Sleep status in the rain while the user was holding Utility Umbrella.

Does Growth still boost the user's Atk and Sp. Atk 2 stages in the sun with Utility Umbrella equipped?
Growth only boosts 1 stage if the user is holding Utility Umbrella.

Does Utility Umbrella prevent the holder from using Aurora Veil in Hail?
Utility Umbrella does not stop the holder from using Aurora Veil in Hail.

Last edited:
Does a Flying-type holder of the umbrella take full damage from moves which are super-effective against Flying under Delta Stream?

Hmm, I'm curious if there is an in-game glitch, if I played against a hacker or if we don't understand correctly how Eiscue's speed stat changes when his form breaks.

I was playing online. G-Darm OHKO'd my Corviknight with Flare Blitz without a crit. I knew that was only possible with a Choice Band. So I switched to Eiscue knowing he couldn't outspeed Noice form without a Scarf. Well, turns out he did.

I did all the calcs afterwards and truly, my Corviknight cannot be OHKO'd without a CB.

252+ Atk Gorilla Tactics Darmanitan-Galar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Corviknight: 148-176 (72.1 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (level 50 calcs)

My Eiscue's Noice speed stat is at 200, while G-Darm at Jolly 252 caps at 147 at lv. 50. So a Scarf outspeeds him 100%, but can't OHKO Corviknight.

I'm posting this at the Battle Mechanics thread because it may be an in-game glitch on Eiscue's form change or the stat change doesn't happen automatically (maybe only upon switch?). I can, of course, have been victim to a hacker or be missing something.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I'm curious if there is an in-game glitch, if I played against a hacker or if we don't understand correctly how Eiscue's speed stat changes when his form breaks.

I was playing online. G-Darm OHKO'd my Corviknight with Flare Blitz without a crit. I knew that was only possible with a Choice Band. So I switched to Eiscue knowing he couldn't outspeed Noice form without a Scarf. Well, turns out he did.

I did all the calcs afterwards and truly, my Corviknight cannot be OHKO'd without a CB.

252+ Atk Gorilla Tactics Darmanitan-Galar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Corviknight: 148-176 (72.1 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (level 50 calcs)

My Eiscue's Noice speed stat is at 200, while G-Darm at Jolly 252 caps at 147 at lv. 50. So a Scarf outspeeds him 100%, but can't OHKO Corviknight.

I'm posting this at the Battle Mechanics thread because it may be an in-game glitch on Eiscue's form change or the stat change doesn't happen automatically (maybe only upon switch?). I can, of course, have been victim to a hacker or be missing something.
+1 252 Atk Darmanitan-Galar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Corviknight: 202-238 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Annoyingly, Gorilla Tactics is not implemented correctly on the calculator. It currently does not give a boost. Choice Scarf Darmanitan is capable of OHKOing Corviknight with Flare Blitz

Hey all,

I've heard claims being tossed around that Flame Charge works like Rapid Spin in that it clears hazards now. Is anyone able to confirm or deconfirm this? Thanks

So I've been testing Utility Umbrella a bit:

-If the holder has Swift Swim, it won't get the speed boost in rain. (tested with a Mantine against a wild Drizzle Pelipper, I got outsped despite being the same level)

-Using a pokemon holding an umbrella against a Swift Swimmer won't make your ignore its speed boost.

-Dry Skin doesn't heal in rain or take damage in sun, but you still heal from water moves or take more damage from fire moves.

So I've been testing Utility Umbrella a bit:

-If the holder has Swift Swim, it won't get the speed boost in rain. (tested with a Mantine against a wild Drizzle Pelipper, I got outsped despite being the same level)

-Using a pokemon holding an umbrella against a Swift Swimmer won't make your ignore its speed boost.

-Dry Skin doesn't heal in rain or take damage in sun, but you still heal from water moves or take more damage from fire moves.
This sounds more and more like an item that can fuck over rain dependent mons, which is hilarious as weather is all the rage in the current vgc meta. I can see Prankster Grimmsnarl ruining ludicolo or baraskewda like that

This sounds more and more like an item that can fuck over rain dependent mons, which is hilarious as weather is all the rage in the current vgc meta. I can see Prankster Grimmsnarl ruining ludicolo or baraskewda like that
Well more like a gimmick than something useful... Kinda like you can trick a Flame Orb or Lagging tail to a enemy, but it's a fun gimmick more than an actually useful strategy since you'd rather actually use useful items :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)