Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Miltank for Tauros seems like a sure-bet. Since their inception the only time they aren't connected at the hip was gen 3, because gen 3 was a mess of distiribution, and Let's Go because literally no one other than gen 1 & meltan/melmetal got to be in

otherwise
gen 2: same routes
gen 4: same routes
gen 5: Same Dream World area
gen 6: same route
gen 7: same routes

They really should have jsut gone whole-hog and make them an actual "same species", like volbeat & illumise or the nidorans are.
To add onto this: Not only are they on the same routes in Gen 7 but they even have the same Pokedex page like Oranguru and Passimian do

I think a more interesting question is: whats next? We arent even in our first full year of a gen and we got 2 seperate expansions. Gens typically last for 3 or 4 years, so...will they make a remake with a whole different format like they did with lets go? Will there be another expansion pass that takes place post swsh main story? Or will gen life cycles be sped up alltogether?
I am also curious about this (as I'm sure many people are), particularly since Pokemon Go's less-than-yearly (so far) release of mons is due to catch up to the main series by mid gen 9 if the main series sticks to a 3-year cycle. Surely Niantic is (or should be) feeling some pressure & anxiety about possible drops in interest once they run out of new mons to add every year, and I'd be a little bit surprised if ideas about how to release new mons more frequently weren't being floated around. I highly doubt we would see a shift to new mons making their debut in Pokemon Go, aside from the occasional event mon perhaps. A handful of DLC expansions between new full titles could allow them to periodically add brand new mons and not just forms, which seems a bit more manageable than a shorter gen life cycle (though so far there's no evidence to suggest they've moved beyond introducing only brand new legendaries for IoA and CT).

Personally, unless IoA and CT turn out to be way too small/short for their price point I will probably prefer a couple of $30 2-part expansions each year rather than third versions or remakes.

i'm rather concerned about how people would balk if there's another $30 expansion. $120 may not be an easy price tag to take in for some, so there has to be some pretty hefty justification for it. i also wonder if fatigue might set in since well... if one doesn't enjoy raids, there's not much else to do since game freak is going all in on that.

i'm personally hoping for a spinoff of some kind after IoA/CT, but who knows. it's something worth wondering.

i'm personally hoping for a spinoff of some kind after IoA/CT, but who knows. it's something worth wondering.
Remember that the only spinoff Game Freak has made is Quest, which almost no one wants more of.

People balking at another $30 expansion would probably happen (in fact has already happened) but it'd be hilarious considering you know

the alternativel is a full $60 game anyway
People who buy all the games new get a better deal, and so do people who buy only the first games of each generation, but people who buy used or who skip the first pair of games to wait for the third versions get a worse deal. People who sell their games get a worse deal also.

(Aside: I still find it so hard to believe that a majority of all casual Pokemon players get only the first games of a generation and nothing else, according to the sales data. That is, these are the people who bought Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl, but skipped both Emerald and Platinum, and they outnumber all Emerald/Platinum buyers. The appeal of "oh look shiny new generation with 100+ more new Pokemon" really does sell more than superior gameplay, sadly.)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
(Aside: I still find it so hard to believe that a majority of all casual Pokemon players get only the first games of a generation and nothing else, according to the sales data. That is, these are the people who bought Ruby/Sapphire and Diamond/Pearl, but skipped both Emerald and Platinum, and they outnumber all Emerald/Platinum buyers. The appeal of "oh look shiny new generation with 100+ more new Pokemon" really does sell more than superior gameplay, sadly.)
This is one of the reasons why I'm really curious to see how these DLCs sell. Will they be at around the same level of sales as the third versions, or will they attract greater numbers due to being extensions to the base games rather than separate products that could be perceived as too similar? Do sales numbers for DLCs like this normally get released, cuz I'd love to see those for the reasons stated.

Well, from a more casual mindset, a new setting, a new story, and (most importantly) new Pokémon are far more appealing than a refined experience.

(Although why USUM sold more than BW2, which does have a completely new story, is beyond my comprehension. Let's Go had the appeal to nostalgia, at least)

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well, from a more casual mindset, a new setting, a new story, and (most importantly) new Pokémon are far more appealing than a refined experience.

(Although why USUM sold more than BW2, which does have a completely new story, is beyond my comprehension)
Interestingly enough according to this site USUM grossed a great deal less than BW2 despite the slightly higher sales and SM grossing more than BW1. Wonder what that's all about.

It's not like I've been trying to point this out for the last 6 or so months and still get called names when I point this to this day :P

This is one of the reasons why I'm really curious to see how these DLCs sell. Will they be at around the same level of sales as the third versions, or will they attract greater numbers due to being extensions to the base games rather than separate products that could be perceived as too similar? Do sales numbers for DLCs like this normally get released, cuz I'd love to see those for the reasons stated.
I think they'll sell more. Them being literally "press one button to obtain extra stuff in the game you already own" is a big appeal nowadays.

It's not like I've been trying to point this out for the last 6 or so months and still get called names when I point this to this day :P

I think they'll sell more. Them being literally "press one button to obtain extra stuff in the game you already own" is a big appeal nowadays.
Yeah I'd be surprised if they didn't sell more. Ease of access and low cost for a lot more content. Not to mention the high attach rate rate SWSH has & how they put the dlc button on the start menu.

i'm rather concerned about how people would balk if there's another $30 expansion. $120 may not be an easy price tag to take in for some, so there has to be some pretty hefty justification for it. i also wonder if fatigue might set in since well... if one doesn't enjoy raids, there's not much else to do since game freak is going all in on that. i'm personally hoping for a spinoff of some kind after IoA/CT, but who knows. it's something worth wondering.
I am pretty sure down the road they would release a complete/gold edition of the game at a discount price to be purchased or with the launch of a new version of the console

I am pretty sure down the road they would release a complete/gold edition of the game at a discount price to be purchased or with the launch of a new version of the console
Oh that's guaranteed to happen. Most likely whenever the "last" DLC is (Tundra, or any after it). Sounds like standard market practice to me tbh

(Remember, there was no statement that it's only 2 DLCs, there could very well be more)

I'm just goign to say: maybe dont expect this to happen

Nintendo games typically don't do this, even on re-releases. Obviously those plans can change, but considering their titles are typically evergreen and Pokemon themselves never even get into the discount line...I wouldn't hold my breath on them suddenly releasing a discounted Golden edition. No no, so long as these things sell at full price they'll want you to buy them and then shell out the extra for the DLC. See also: not expecting a "golden" smash bros ultiamte once Fighter Pass 2 wraps up

Oh that's guaranteed to happen. Most likely whenever the "last" DLC is (Tundra, or any after it). Sounds like standard market practice to me tbh

(Remember, there was no statement that it's only 2 DLCs, there could very well be more)
I could see them doing a Gold edition If they decide to close down the Eshop for the Switch, since that effectively shut down the DLC since its on the Eshop. BTW, that is not happening for a very long time.

Yeah, the only time Nintendo does a new release of a game with all the DLC included is when they're porting to a new console. I don't see them changing that anytime soon, but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Maybe they'll do a "SwSh + DLC" version as a digital version when this gen comes to an end but I doubt we'll see a physical version. You'll probably also have to buy it as a double pack so would be like 90+ dollars.

Maybe they'll do a "SwSh + DLC" version as a digital version when this gen comes to an end but I doubt we'll see a physical version. You'll probably also have to buy it as a double pack so would be like 90+ dollars.
I'm unsure, this is kind of a "unique" case. Once the final DLC releases (whenever it's Tundra or something after), having a "package" of game + all DLCs at same time (digital or physical, that's irrelevant) is a great way to snip additional sales that otherwise would not have happened.

Now, I'll admit, this is something I see more likely to happen IF there's more DLCs after Tundra, since for now there is the 30€ deal thing.

In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they say that the "buy both expansion at same time" pack was only going to be available until the Armor release? Or did I dream this one?

In regards to that, Nintendo does digital bundles on the eShop all the time; but it is literally just "here's a listing of the game + the DLC" rather than a new release or anything.

And, fun fact... they're already doing just that for SwSh.

(alongside Steelbooks because, wow, they REALLY over-produced those I guess)

B52B70CC-B269-4629-AAA0-5ADA765D2A4A.jpeg

There was also that Wii U package deal that had Mario Kart 8 with all DLC packaged in. So, uh, I guess look forward to a SwSh Switch bundle in the future? Hooray?
The package-in situation also happens to be the only way NSMB2 was re-released with its DLC, iirc.

In terms of an all-dlc rerelease that:
1. was not a pack in
2. was not a(n enhanced) port to another system
3. was not an eshop listing just lumping the full cost together

I think the only other instance was NSMBU + NSL happening on Wii U.

Watching pokeaim's video of Cinderace vs Greninja made me think. Is Ash-Greninja going to still be in Swsh? I haven't transferred mine, so I don't now if it's allowed in Home.

Watching pokeaim's video of Cinderace vs Greninja made me think. Is Ash-Greninja going to still be in Swsh? I haven't transferred mine, so I don't now if it's allowed in Home.
Probably. The regional forms of all the Pokémon have been programmed despite the majority not being catchable in SwSh. Ash-Greninja should follow the same pattern.

Speaking of Regional Variants, I’m surprised they have not revealed anymore other than the Slowpoke line. I’m hoping there are going to be Gen 4 ones because I am annoyed that Unova got Regional Variants before Sinnoh did despite Sinnoh being older.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)