Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Well at least the Vanillite line is safe. I personally like that line, but I guess for some people, this'll cast serious questions on judgement, priorities, priorities. :smogthink: Do we have a list of Pokemon that's considered "safe" yet?

OH NO!!!!! I POSTED CRINGE!!!!!! FUCKFUCKFURV*#H@$*(FH$@*(H#(G$@(GB@$(GH$@
You also would have to factor in customers that were drawn into the franchise from Pokemon GO. A huge glut in the market pushed more copies of SM to be sold because of GO. How many of those customers will/are planing on returning for Gen 8, when the social craze for the game is long dead?

XY sold 16.39 million copies whilst ORAS sold 14.19 million copies (I'm quoting Wikipedia)

SM 16 million copies whilst USUM ~8 million copies (Again quoting Wikipedia)

Granted, the lifetime for these games is very different as Gen 6 has been around longer than Gen 7 and should have sold more copies. However, it's not too far of a stretch to say USUM undersold ORAS sales, suggesting that that initial boon did not factor into USUM's sales and boost them. Without that social media Pokemon craze, you shouldn't expect Gen 8 to sell similarly to SM, though the proliferation of the Switch may be helpful in this regard.

No, it's pretty dumb and simplistic. The announcement just happened yesterday and word will get out. Obviously a very small percentage of the people who went on to buy Sun and Moon were watching live E3 coverage of it like 6 months before it released. And of course knowing enough math to know the difference between decimals and percentages would help too.
I'm going to be blunt here, this wasn't something that was released in a Japanese magazine. This was was said on the live stream for Nintendo Treehouse @E3. This is one of, if not the biggest event for showcasing/announcing games in the world, much less North America. Which means, a lot of eyes were tuned into watch, both average users, but journalists as well. And given that we've already seen a handful of articles on it already, it's safe to say that the "word" has already "gotten" out. I think it is safe to say that a large chunk of people that are into pokemon, or thinking/planning on buying Sh/Sw already know what's going on. And those that didn't watch the stream, or visit gaming news websites, have probably heard of it through other forms of social media, like facebook, and the like.

Of course, these numbers are incredibly limited to only one phrase, on twitter, and not counting facebook or other outlets. There could be thousands more that are voicing their displeasure on facebook for instance. These numbers could just be the ones that have chosen to be vocal over their displeasure as well, there could be even more people that are upset about this, but chosen not to broadcast it to the world.

Well at least the Vanillite line is safe. I personally like that line, but I guess for some people, this'll cast serious questions on judgement, priorities, priorities. :smogthink: Do we have a list of Pokemon that's considered "safe" yet?
Ditto MIGHT be safe, depends on whether or not GF decides they want to overhaul the breeding mechanics or completely do without. Until it's announced/figured out by datamining, I will be breeding both male and female versions of pokemon that I want to use for gen 8 battling, to make my life easier compared to when X&Y first came out.

Last edited:
In regards to the whole animation excuse they gave, I can sort of understand it. For just one new animation for Pokémon models, they have to make (likely) over a thousand (one per species... and you have to include all the formes). It can be quite the hassle to make them (and make them right, of course, design process and that)... and I'm only talking about one single new animation. Now imagine having more new animations... and it can be too much for the development time Pokémon games seem to have. I mean, when the transition to 3D happened with XY, I wouldn't be surprised if more than half the effort went about making thousands and thousands of animations. They are not Blizzard, which constantly cuts corners in WoW by copypasting a base model and its animations for new races.

Though I insist that I'd rather have more spaced-out releases if that's the case. I don't know why they think everyone would get mad if there is not at least one main Pokémon game per year. I'd rather wait and enjoy, than get constant products that might feel incomplete in some way or form.
This is one thing I can agree with. I saw Dymax, and they have new animation playing after they're recalled to their Pokeball and rereleased big, the "Kaiju howl", to say so.

That said, I'd also rather they just polish the game and not rush themselves each year before they crash down like other franchises people have mentioned here. If they do that because they listened to Poketubers demanding yearly release, then they just made a dangerous decision of letting large portion of fanbases erupt in favour of them. Not to say what happened when this happened during BW and SM and LGPE, they should've learnt.

Seeing back to Pokemong GO, they just use one of the attack animation for the "kaiju howl" for Raid bosses, and it doesn't look so far either. The most they'd get is backlash at how boring the animation is, but ultimately just annoyance I'd possibly put at "Little things that annoy you thread" in this subforum, but not a backlash of this magnitude.
Their priority is skewed.

Last edited:

harambe's solution

Banned deucer.
Is there any likelihood they reincorporate backwards gen capability with the next Gen 8 games? If the argument is they didn't have enough time, they could polish things up and let us transfer from Gen 7 by then surely?

This is one thing I can agree with. I saw Dymax, and they have new animation playing after they're recalled to their Pokeball and rereleased big, the "Kaiju howl", to say so.
The question is, did they start making the animations for Galar mons and then realize they wouldn't have it ready for all of the previous mons (and weren't willing to not let older mons Dmax if that is the main source of new animations) or did they start making the new animations after they had already decided to cut mons? It seems insane that they would value something like that over compatibility. But then, I'm the guy who would gladly take a 2d game if it meant more and better content.

The question is, did they start making the animations for Galar mons and then realize they wouldn't have it ready for all of the previous mons (and weren't willing to not let older mons Dmax if that is the main source of new animations) or did they start making the new animations after they had already decided to cut mons? It seems insane that they would value something like that over compatibility. But then, I'm the guy who would gladly take a 2d game if it meant more and better content.
What is also what I thought that time. They're prioritising the gimmick (while going as far as side-lining Mega and Z, for what may be in turn sidelined next gen anyway) over completeness? They're going to risk people holding torches and pitchforks over this?
I'm not going to lie, I kinda liked Dmax for the hilarity and especially since I like raiding in GO, but if that's one of major contributing reason of the cut availability, then....

Regardless, this is certainly one beautiful scrapchow I have ever watched personally. Maybe not very close-up as I rarely open Twitter and live away from US where E3 is held, but close enough. Thanos Masuda is our new overlord. Err... sorry, I can barely contain myself.

Last edited:
Including forms it says. Pretty easy to get 100+ extra from forms considering they count stuff like Arceus's plates, Silvally's memories, Vivilon's patterns, Unown's letters, and Furfrou's haircuts as different forms.
(cutting the base formes)

3 Deoxyses
2 Burmies
2 Wormadams
5 Rotoms
1 Giratina
1 Shaymin
1 Basculin
1 Darmanitan
3 Deerling
3 Sawsbuck
2 Kyurems
1 Keldeo
3 monster Genies
1 Meloetta
1 Greninja
1 Aegislash
1 Pyroar
3 Pumpkaboos
3 Gourgeists
1 Unfeasant
2 Zygardes
1 Hoopa
16 Arceuses
16 Silvallies
17 Vivillons
4 Genesects
1 Floette
4 Florges
9 Furfrous
27 Unowns
1 Wishiwashi
2 Lycanrock
6 Miniors
3 Necrozmas
3 Castforms
1 Hippopotas
1 Hippowdon
1 Cherrim
1 Meowstic
1 Gastrodon
1 Frillish
1 Jellicent
3 Oricorios
1 Pichu
6 Pikachu
34 Spindas
18 Alolan formes
2 Primals
+ 48 Mega Evolutions
270 formes

These journalists seem to be even worse each day, it's not math where they are wrong, it is rather at their grammar when facing it towards logic. The author says that Sword&Shield will surpass 1000 Pokémon (formes included), but fails to realize that it already surpasses 1000 pokémon in Gen7 with all formes combined (even without the megas). That or they are masterminds at fooling their readers.

Last edited:
Well butter my biscuits, even if the Galar pokedex has like, 450 mons in it... that's like, half of the known pokedex. Several regions just wiped. Gone.

You know what? They should've kept with the sprite aesthetic and improved upon that. I bet we wouldn't be having this problem if that was the case.
Or you know, just copy the work they did in Gen 7 over. These models were supposed to be future-proofed for future gens and it looks like they just copied over a lot of the models from Gen 7. We don't really need better animations-I don't think anyone had any issues with Gen 7 animations?

I've been thinking about what Pokemon, out of the current ones, I would exclude in the Galar Dex if I were Game Freak. Assuming we get about 90 Galarian Pokemon, and wanting to keep the Pokedex manageable and the game on schedule, I have a feeling we'll wind up somewhere in the ballpark of 500-600 mons in the game. Taking into account what Matusda has said about balancing, fan favorites, region appropriate pokes and what not, I made a list of pokemon that I would EXCLUDE, grouped by gen. I'm not saying that these pokemon would be gone forever, just that they'll have to chill at HOME till the right region/game comes along. This list is not comprehensive, nor is it a wishlist. Just something to help us think and prepare for what may come.

Nothing is getting removed from this gen, let's be honest. Too many people from LGPE and GO coming over to touch this gen.
-spinarak
-ariados
-natu
-xatu
-mareep (its a sheep competitor, sorry)
-flaaffy
-ampharos
-sudowoodo
-hoppip
-skiploom
-jumpluff
-sunkern
-sunflora
-unown
-qwilfish
-pineco
-forretress
-slugma
-magcargo
-corsola
-remoraid
-octillery
-mantine
-skarmory (too similar to corviknight)
-stantler
-smeargle (Bane of VGC)
-Entei
-Raikou
-Suicune
-Lugia
-Ho-oh
-Celebi

Total: 32 out of 100 excluded
-Poochyena
-mightyena
-wurmple
-silcoon
-cascoon
-beautifly
-dustox
-whismur
-loudred
-exploud
-makuhita
-hariyama
-skitty
-delcatty
-plusle
-minum
-volbeat
-illumise
-numel
-camerupt
-spoink
-grumpig
-spinda
-zangoose
-seviper
-lunatone
-solrock
-barboach
-whiscash
-baltoy
-claydol
-chimecho
-spheal
-sealeo
-walrein
-relicanth
-luvdisc
-Regirock
-Regice
-Registeel
-Kyogre (VGC cancer)
-Groudon (also cancer)
-Rayquaza
-Jirachi
-Deoxys

Total: 45 out of 135 excluded
-Bidoof
-Bibarel
-cranidos
-Rampardos
-Sheildon
-Bastiodon
-Burmy
-Wormadam
-Mothim
-Pachirisu
-cherubi
-Cherrim
-glameow
-purugly
-chingling
-bonsly
-carvine
-finneon
-lumineon
-mantyke
-uxie
-mespirit
-azelf
-dialga
-palkia
-heatran
-regigigas
-giratina
-cresselia
-phione
-manaphy
-darkrai
-shaymin
-arceus

Total: 34 out of 107 excluded
-Victini
-patrat
-watchog
-pansage
-simisage
-pansear
-simisear
-panpour
-simipour
-pidove
-tranquill
-unfezant
-blitzle
-zebstrika
-cottonee
-whimsicott
-maractus
-dwebble
-crustle
-tirtouga
-carracosta
-archen
-archeops
-gothita
-gothorita
-gothitelle
-emolga
-tynamo
-elektrik
-elektross
-cryogonal
-mienfoo
-mienshao
-bouffalant
-cobalion
-terrakion
-virizion
-tornadus
-thundurus
-landorus
-reshiram
-zekrom
-kyurem
-keldeo
-meloetta
-genesect

Total: 46 out of 156 excluded
-spritzee
-armoatisse
-skrelp
-dragalge
-helioptile
-heliolisk
-dedenne
-yveltal
-xerneas
-daince
-zygarde
-hoopa
-volcanion

Total: 13 out of 72 excluded
-pikipek
-trumbeak
-toucannon
-oriciro
-mareanie
-toxapex
-formantis
-lurantis
-type:null
-silvally
-turtonator
-tapu koko
-tapu lele
-tapu bulu
-tapu fini
-cosmog
-cosmoem
-solgaleo
-lunala
-nihilego
-buzzwole
-pheromosa
-xurkitree
-celesteela
-kartana
-guzzlord
-necrozma
-magearna
-marshadow
-poipole
-naganadel
-stakataka
-blacephalon
-zeraora

Total: 34 out of 86 excluded

What I feel is overlooked is how padded the pokedex is with baby pokemon and legendaries, especially Gen II, IV, and VII. Would anyone cry if Happiny didn't make it but Chansey was still available? I personally forget that cleffa, igglypuff, and mantyke are pokemon. Did we ever get a proper explanation for Phione? Does Meloetta even have any lore? Yet all the baby forms are going to be present if their evolutions make it in, and that's often to our detriment going forward. I included so many legendaries because I think GF is going to try to keep them contained to their own region from now on. We saw how much havoc Groudon and Kyogre have had on VGC these last few years, and the Ultra Beasts are no better.

Masuda, the Mad Titan: "Sword and Shield are like most games; too many Pokemon, not enough development time to go around. And when we faced our deadline, I offered a solution."

Pokemon fans: "Genocide?"

Masuda: "But just to the forgettable, mundane, and mediocre Pokemon of them all. The fan-favorites will remain. They call me a madman, but if we don't cut corners, what I predict will came to pass."

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, I'm going to hold my Mega Evo & Z-Move rant (as if it's not obvious what I was going to say anyway) and get to commenting as I'm more then 10 pages back now!

Why make Dark Void have worse accuracy than Hypnosis? I know in Doubles, Dark Void does seem pretty broken by hitting both foes, but in most contexts, that move is used in a singles format.
They could have Dark Void only target one Pokemon with 80% accuracy and then have an additional effect of possibly putting adjacent allies of the target to sleep be at 40%. There, it's now less broken but not neutered.

I can see 2 ways an Intimidate nerf can happen. 1: In Doubles / Triples it only affects the Pokemon directly opposite you. 2: It also affects your partner. Personally I'd prefer the former, although the latter does open the door for some interesting strategies, like pairing your Intimidate user with something that has Defiant / Competetive.
I also agree the former idea would be best but with one more change: it lowers the opponent's highest offense stat. Not sure if this is any more broken then what it already does but I find it odd that the idea is your Pokemon looks so fearsome it makes the opponent's attack weaker, but that's only if they're a physical attacker.

Thoughts On Nessa: Oh wow, and I thought Sonia we going to get hit hard, this is nearly on Olivia level of asking for rule 34. She kind of looks like a young ORAS version of Shelly, adjust her arm bands and you can make the Team Aqua emblem out of them. Her number is 049, curious. Only other thing I can think is worth mentioning is her interesting fashion choice of attaching life rings on her slippers, those can't be easy to swim in.

(I just want to note if you look at the image url she's given the id number 34... they perfectly knew what they were doing...)

...i swear I've seen her before in Splatoon
She does give me a Marina vibe.

Thoughts On Yamper: D'aw, look at the good boy! Actually I joke, but it has a new Signature Ability where it'll fetch the first failed Poke Ball if it's not holding an item. Only time I can think this would be useful would be for the Apricorn Poke Balls, otherwise at best this just saves you at most a price of an Ultra Ball. But still, just look at him! I'd say it deserves a cuddle but it's an Electric-type so probably not the best idea.

Additional Thoughts: And two more checks off that leak list! Okay, I'm completely ready to believe all of it. Gigantimaxing and regional evolutions here we come!
"Hey, aren't you missing another new Pokemon"? Once again, keep your eye on the Flying Press. ;)

>Catchprase is gotta catch em all
>game doesn't have em all
To be fair, the Japanese phrase is just "Gotta catch Pokemon". "Gotta Catch Em' All" is the English slogan... and that was also only for the anime. And for a while they retired that slogan because Ash certainly wasn't catching them all or not even a majority (unless you count encountering and scanning them in his Pokedex as "catching"). Forgot when they did that but then then brought it back for XY so they could use a remix of the original theme song. Though once we got to Sun & Moon it was retired once more.

So the thing that finally killed Landorus-T was technical limitations, what a shitshow lmao.
No, it was laziness and rushing our a product before it was ready...

Wonder if this culling will also include moves. Sure, few of us will miss Rototiller, Hold Hands or Barrage, but some staple moves could be gone too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Probably not moves aside from Signature (unless they keep the changes they did to Mega Drain and dump Giga Drain), but this may certainly be the case for some Abilities (certainly some Signature Abilities, but some other Abilities are not wide spread that I could see it happening more to those Abilities than most Moves which has a bigger distribution). But if they are going to do a Move and Ability culling wonder if that's also the case with Items too.

He did not, however, explicitly say that Dynamax would "replace" mega evolutions and Z moves, just that they were a mechanic in the same vain.
Even if they're in the game (which if they're doing a massive culling I doubt) the point is clear they won't be in the main game. Something we've already saw with Mega Evos, though Z-Moves had a slight chance of at least the Type-based ones being still handed out (mostly by Gym Leaders thought they'd need places for the other Types if they did that which wouldn't have been that hard to do) to give a Pokemon a one-use powerful move outside of the places you can Dynamax.

There's going to be a new/cheaper Switch out at some point this year and they'll be counting on people getting it to play Sword and Shield.
Kind of surprised they didn't announce that Switch for their E3 direct. I've been holding off getting a Switch because I'm expecting this exact thing to happen (probably be a handheld version of the Switch). And for those wondering, there's precedence for this. The 2DS was pretty much made so that they could get more copies of XY also bought.

This has nothing to do with technical limitations, almost nothing to do with dev time, and everything to do with "lol buy Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield with an expanded regional dex". Everything needed for full compatibility can be literally copy-pasted over from USUM thanks to futureproofed models, and everything Masuda said about "it would have taken us too much dev time" is pure PR BS.
Actually it may also be the problem of GF "solving" a problem that doesn't exist (in this case the game reaching a limitation which it clearly hasn't). Nintendo also has this problem: reason not all Nintendo games can have backup saves on the Cloud? Because those saves could be used to affect leader boards...

Oh, and the "ran out of time" excuse is also BS because that was a self-chosen deadline they picked for themselves and there's no reason they can't delay it aside them wanting to get it out before the holidays (because it would be a crime to have to actually wait 2 whole years for the next Pokemon game so that it's actually comes out fully baked...). Animal Crossing New Horizens just got a date pushback because their dev team realized they needed more time...

Also confirms Electrike is in the game.
Lol, why? Are they asking us to compare it with Yamper? Unless maybe a sign Mega Evos are in?

Masuda is so fucking full of shit I swear to god. How can't a console with 4GB of ram and 1600 MHz frequency not handle the entirety of the pokedex when the 3DS with 6MB and 134MHz could? Holy fucking shit
Yeah, lately Masuda has been REALLY annoying me (and a lot of other fans). First was the stupid decisions with Let's Go (no Abilities, can't battle wild Pokemon, reasons for replacing the Rival) and now his latest comment about why they aren't having the full dex in. He seriously needs to shut the f*** up and GameFreak needs to mobilize their PR department. Infact this whole news announcement should have been handled by their PR department and treated as a bigger thing, not just an off the cuff mention by Masuda (who you could tell knew the backlash this was going to cause yet I'm sure was one of the deciding votes to do this). And I hate to say this, Masuda was the main director for my favorite Pokemon generation, Gen V... but those games seemed to have been made by a completely different Masuda then the one we have nowadays. Did something happen to him between then and now?

Ya know, I actually kinda like the fact that we can't use Pokemon not in the Galgar dex. Now while playing through the main story like I always do, use my favorites, not giving a care in the world about the national dex, I would play gen 8 OU and Ubers on PS like no tomorrow. Because Lot's of mons I had to worry about before are gone. So it's simpler, thanks to less mons to worry about. However when playing through the story, I act like the national dex never exists. I never gave a care in the world about National dexs in general honestly. I just like to use my favorites in casual runs, not mons from other regions. Overall, It'd make my competive life less hectic, and I just don't care about the national dex, no, the whole pokedex thing as a whole. The thing I like about Pokemon is the designs, battles, and story.
Well I think that's the case for everyone's first run and most runs anyway. The problem isn't with wanting the other Pokemon for the main game but many of us longtime fans have collected and trained all these Pokemon over several gens, transferring them up so we can always have them... and now we can't do that with a majority of them for stupid reasons. Sure, I may not use all the Legendaries I collected over the years... but I still went through the effort of getting them and don't want to leave them behind!

If Game Freak spent their time to make mons from other gens possible to bring into SS, do you know how much longer it'd be before gen 8 comes out? We'd most likely never even see the trailer until 2 years from now.
GOOD! WE DON'T NEED A NEW POKEMON CORE SERIES TITLE EVERY SINGLE YEAR! TAKE THEIR TIME TO ACTUALLY GET ALL THEIR IDEAS INTO THE GAME AND UPDATING POKEMON!

As for releasing Pokemon via DLC don't count on it. This article here states that monetizing Pokemon would " ruin " the Pokemon World. That being said, they didn't say no for DLC for new areas and facillities, so maybe those could recieve DLC.
Could (and should) be free DLC.

Does make me happy. And I said I like Pokemon for the story, battles, and designs. Not because of catching Pokemon! If I decide not to care about "Gotta catch em all" then I don't. If anything, normally I have 15- Pokemon in the entire dex I caught, because reasons listed above.
And that's your right, infact I also am in for the story and see what the new Pokemon and mechanics have to offer. But at the same time don't poo-poo on people who take enjoyment from the competitive battling or seeing all the interesting creatures they can collect and want to transfer up their competitively trained or rare to get Pokemon. One thing that makes Pokemon different from other franchises is that you are able to transfer something from the previous games into the newer games and still use it, even if it originally came from a game that's 10 years ago! And yes, those Pokemon would still exist in Pokemon Home if you transfer it there... but they'd be in limbo and unusable waiting for a game they can finally be transferred too.

Obviously more coming... *wipes sweat drops*

There is quite the outrage on Twitter:
View attachment 180159
iirc, the Japanese is "No Compatibility", in reference to these games.
Sorry for going back to few pages ago, but I hate to break that that is not all about this outrage. As Kanburi said, some are thinking it's inevitable (although there's also sizable sad "oh no"), and this include incompatibility with other completely irrelevant things like iPhone versions and so on.

Regardless, this issue is not sitting well with people here either.
Know that I have also seen some people comparing Masuda with Team Flare's Fleurdalis / Lysandre?.

Last edited:
Imagine what would've happened if GF had never announced this but went through with it anyway.

We'd get the usual increasing hype levels over the months, then SwSh would release Nov 2019 and dataminers would notice no data for non-Galar Pokemon. There would no doubt be "is there an update coming" arguments all over the place. Then Home drops in ~March 2020 or whenever, people transfer over their legendaries and starters, and BOOM, SwSh rejects them and they're imprisoned in Home for the foreseeable future. What a shitshow that would've been.

Imagine what would've happened if GF had never announced this but went through with it anyway.

We'd get the usual increasing hype levels over the months, then SwSh would release Nov 2019 and dataminers would notice no data for non-Galar Pokemon. There would no doubt be "is there an update coming" arguments all over the place. Then Home drops in ~March 2020 or whenever, people transfer over their legendaries and starters, and BOOM, SwSh rejects them and they're imprisoned in Home for the foreseeable future. What a shitshow that would've been.
I'm surprised they had the decency to be "transparent" with us about this. They could have just easily not said anything until post-launch. Hopefully, all of the backlash will result to something from this getting reversed. Super Mario Maker 2 got its online co-op with friends back after the backlash that received. If we make our voices loud enough, something similar can happen here.

q42h54dr41431.jpg

I just caught a Shiny Swablu in Pokemon GO tonight. I don't want my baby birb Peep to get Thanos'd :(

Going back two pages, I can confirm from the Famitsu interview here that megas and Z Moves will not be present in SS.

View attachment 180172
So I've been trying to interpret a Google Translation of this and I found some interesting things:
- They said they already had some issues adding all Pokémon in Sun and Moon. It's safe to assume that's the real reason behind the current controversy.
- Untransferable Pokémon can still do things in Pokémon Home.
- They did not decide yet whether to patch in all untransferable Pokémon in the future.
- Apparently, Pokémon data is not future-proofed despite what we thought, but they are planning on making them future-proof.

Last edited:
I think the author never passed a math exam.
Including forms it says. Pretty easy to get 100+ extra from forms considering they count stuff like Arceus's plates, Silvally's memories, Vivilon's patterns, Unown's letters, and Furfrou's haircuts as different forms.
The amount of forms varies depending where you count. As of USUM there are:
- 975 entries for stats and level up moves.
- 1080 entries for egg moves, plus 16 formes that don't have one (Pokémon that don't hatch directly, including evolutions of hatchable Pokémon, have empty entries, but for some reason cap Pikachus and SM totems don't have one, while USUM totems do). Strangely there are 20 entries for Scatterbug but only one for Spewpa, which suggests me originally Scatterbug was meant to have visible pattern differences.
- 1170 entries for models, plus 1 for the Egg model.

Model count is higher due to gender differences, most of them being just cosmetic and very subtle - the only really noticeable ones are Hippowdon, Frillish/Jellicent, Unfezant, and Pyroar. Plus Meowstic that is the only mon to have mechanically relevant gender differences, having separate movesets and abilities. Barring Meowstic, whether gender differences count as separate formes is up to debate.

Stat entries are fewer because many formes share them, like Unown, Deerling and Flabébé line (except Eternal Floette). Despite the type differences, Arceus and Silvally formes share a single stat entry, but they do have separate egg move entries. Interestingly Gastrodon formes have separate stat entries, which are identical except by color (which is a hidden stat, unused in battle mechanics). Totems have separate entries as well that only differ in size and weight, with the most relevant effect being Totem Araquanid and Kommo-o immune to Sky Drop, unlike their regular counterparts. (Kommo-o being ability-locked to Overcoat sucks tho, Araq takes better advantage of this perk)

I'd say the count in USUM would be 1077, which comes from the 1080 egg moves entries, plus the 16 formes without an egg move entry, minus the 19 unused Scatterbug entries.
Last but not least, there's the six Cosplay Pikachu formes, Spiky eared Pichu and LGPE starter Pikachu and Eevee for a total of 9 formes absent from USUM.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Ok after my last awful post hopefully this take doesn't suck as hard, but I'd just like to say comparing the possibility of them patching in the remainder of the dex to how Mario Maker 2 added in online multiplayer w/ friends after backlash seems like a false equivalency.

I'm no game designer, but it seems far easier to quickly add a button to play with friends than to add potentially an entire missing half of the pokedex in the probably miniscule amount of time they have left before they have to ship the game off

Going back two pages, I can confirm from the Famitsu interview here that megas and Z Moves will not be present in SS.

View attachment 180172
Where does it say that Mega and Z-Moves are permanently gone?

Regardless, I still think that limiting Pokemon was something they would have done to eventually, simply due to all the assets and minor items needed for each Pokemon. There's also good chance that the Pokedex will feature 300-400 Pokemon, so its pretty likely that at least one of your favorite Pokemon will appear. So I'm not mad about this decision. Not to mention that there's going to be the wild area , which will be our first potential step into an open world Pokemon game. And communication features are going to be like in XY! So while there's disappointing stuff, there's a lot to look forward too.

That being the said, the limiting factors for Sword and Shield's decision for locking to Galar Dex are pretty note worthy:

1. Poor Timing. Of all the consoles to limit Pokemon, they chose the Switch. The most powerful console for the Pokemon series, which can create a game-changer for open world exploration as seen in the Breath in the Wild, doesn't have much room for all the Pokemon, even though the 3DS could. Not to mention that this game was released after Let's Go, a game controversial for limiting Pokemon. After they promised this would be a traditional RPG, this was a huge punch in the gut. They should have tested this on the handheld era, since its a lot easier to justify isolating Pokemon based on hardware. BW would have been a perfect opportunity due to focusing on only Unova Pokemon.

2. The Pokemon Fandom is spoiled in general. Being able to transfer Pokemon was a great privilege that many games do not have the luxury of doing. It all goes back to the dream of your child having a Pokemon you once owned to the point that you can transfer Pokemon from Virtual Console. "Everyone is here" was a dream for many games and Pokemon has been doing it for years. I'm guessing the reason Pokemon never bothered trying because they never thought Pokemon would become so popular. Around DP, it was expected to become a fad.

3. Can't buy the reasons: As for providing refining animations as well as balancing, I don't see much evidence. The animations look exactly as in the 3DS games, maybe with a different lighting. Not to mention Pokemon lack textures- I mean look at Incineroar in Smash Ultimate. Hopefully they'll improve upon it during development but we'll see. As for balancing, I'm not sure GF has a very different understanding of VGC than compared to players. If they want to balance it, they need to show some major buffs, such as movepools and ability updates, as well as some massive stat distributions. Buffing and nerfing mechanics such as Hail and Psychic Terrain should be considered too.

So here are my thoughts. I'm still picking this up because I can't wait for the wild zone as well as not minding the cut of Pokemon.

Ok after my last awful post hopefully this take doesn't suck as hard, but I'd just like to say comparing the possibility of them patching in the remainder of the dex to how Mario Maker 2 added in online multiplayer w/ friends after backlash seems like a false equivalency.

I'm no game designer, but it seems far easier to quickly add a button to play with friends than to add potentially an entire missing half of the pokedex in the probably miniscule amount of time they have left before they have to ship the game off
SMM2's getting that feature post-launch, not when the game actually comes out. The same can at least happen for Sword and Shield and its missing Pokemon, even if it takes significantly longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)