Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

While the post talks a lot about GF's design methodology, the part this curry making in a UK region reminds me that GF isn't fully embracing the culture the region is being based on (this time being the UK). You know how Kalos and Alola had a TON of tourist locations and characters that at points it almost overshadowed the French and Hawaiian culture influences? While GF likes basing regions on other locations and they certainly do their research, at the same time their experience is one of a tourist and not of a person who actually lives there (infact we don't even see characters who are annoyed with all the tourist stuff, everyone just accepts it happily). Not only that, but there's also plenty of Japanese culture stuff shoved in, Unova and Alola had this issue where out of the blue you have this very Japanese location/thing (Alola had some justification for it though Unova it just stood out). But to get to the point you start to wonder are you actually getting the experience of having a character that exists in these locations or are you just seeing the facades?
I don't think this is that much of an issue. It's a video game, and for all intents and purposes except name the player is a tourist (the whole region is unfamiliar and you explore much more like a tourist than as a citizen, especially with the way NPCs treat you). A lot of cultural influences require subtlety which isn't something that seems well suited to the region design. When creating a region based off a specific place I feel that I would probably go for the cultural stereotypes or outstanding characteristics since this is what the international fanbase is going to associate to and connect to the countries where they are based off, whereas more subtle influences aren't going to be noticed, so while they definitely help world building it seems like less of a design priority. Most of the people playing won't have a deep understanding of the country in question. I also think some of it comes down to creative licence. They are creating a new region, which while based off Britain is fundamentally not Britain, its Galar which is still its own thing.

With that said it would be nice if they altered the ratio of housing to tourist areas, mostly for world building and atmosphere though, so it feels more like a proper town/city.

Also don't forget Galar is based on all the UK, not just England. England is on the very top of the map. Geographically speaking (and taking into account Galar is the UK flipped upside down) the player would be Scottish. Thinking about it, Galar is the biggest example of "region crunch" as it fits the entirety of the UK in one region (England, Scotland, Wales(?)) into one region while Unova was only New York (and parts of New Jersey), Kalos was France, and the Japanese based regions were based on one/two regions in Japan.
I don't think they're going for any one in particular, after all the shape of Galar is basically a rectangle that vaguely resembles Great Britain. I don't think much thought would have been put into where the player starts and how that reflects the real world geographical equivalent locations. I would say creative licence occurs here too, Galar is still Galar more than it is the UK.
For context I live in the UK.

Turns out Impidimp was the Mew-expy Mythical Pokemon of this gen and it being in the demo was an accident. But instead of changing it into a normal mon and designing (or re-assigning) a better looking Pokemon to be the Mythical they're just gonna instead pretend Impidimp doesn't exist until it's release event and never talk about why it was in the Demo again.
Wait, is this true, or are you joking? I can't tell.

Time to fuckin uhhhh rank all the revealed Pokemon by personal preference

Obstagoon (bipedal evolution haters can suck my dick)
Corviknight
Alcremie (Used to be ok but with the alt flavors reveal I love it now)
Duraludon
Yamper
Galarian Weezing
Polteageist
Grookey
Zacian/Zamazenta (I like them both equally)
Rolycoly
Impidimp
Drednaw (Gigantamax form bumps it up a few spots)
Gossifleur/Eldegoss
Cramorant
Sobble
Galarian Zigzagoon/Linoone (Would definitely be extremely underwhelming were it not for the boy Obstagoon, goes up a few spots from the bottom on its own just for that)
Morpeko (pretty unremarkable but it's better than the average pikaclone)
Wooloo (the hype has worn off, it's ok but i'm waiting on an evolution)
Scorbunny (still not a fan of the noodle limbs)

What's your list?
uhh sure
Alcreamie (already loved because it was super cute, new flavors made it even radder)
Galarian Weezing
Sobble
Yamper (if it had a more natural color scheme and didn't have those creepy eye spots it would be my fav)
Drednaw
Corviknight
Rolycoly
Polteageist (again, a more fitting color scheme would've bumped it up a few spots)
Grookey
Gossifleur/Eldegoss
Zacian (sword in mouth is a little ridiculous, but otherwise it's alright)
Obstagoon (Damned Furries)
Morpeko
Scorbunny (looks too "bad Pokemon Essentials fakemon" to me)
Zamazenta (too clunky, too brightly colored)
Cramorant
Galarian Zigzagoon/Linoone (didn't change enough, it's just the same "com mon but edgy" gimmick seen all too much among alolan forms)
Wooloo (never got the hype behind this thing, it's just a sheep with braids)
Impidimp (your favorite pokemon got deleted so this thing could live, folks)
Duraludon

tbh I don't really love the new mon lineup, only like my top 4 would I consider adding to a theoretical team

uhh sure
Alcreamie (already loved because it was super cute, new flavors made it even radder)
Galarian Weezing
Sobble
Yamper (if it had a more natural color scheme and didn't have those creepy eye spots it would be my fav)
Drednaw
Corviknight
Rolycoly
Polteageist (again, a more fitting color scheme would've bumped it up a few spots)
Grookey
Gossifleur/Eldegoss
Zacian (sword in mouth is a little ridiculous, but otherwise it's alright)
Obstagoon (Damned Furries)
Morpeko
Scorbunny (looks too "bad Pokemon Essentials fakemon" to me)
Zamazenta (too clunky, too brightly colored)
Cramorant
Galarian Zigzagoon/Linoone (didn't change enough, it's just the same "com mon but edgy" gimmick seen all too much among alolan forms)
Wooloo (never got the hype behind this thing, it's just a sheep with braids)
Impidimp (your favorite pokemon got deleted so this thing could live, folks)
Duraludon

tbh I don't really love the new mon lineup, only like my top 4 would I consider adding to a theoretical team
Funny that you mentioned that. I tend to play Pokémon games with a kind of set team since early days. Fire Starter, Water, Grass and Flying Pokémon, and generally round up with a rock/steel with good defenses and psychic/electric for another special attacker.

This time, though, I'm feeling adventurous. Other than the fire starter, I have no idea of who will be in my endgame team.

We've seen screen transitions in trailers before, so it's kinda weird that it has taken this long for an auto-save message to pop up in prerelease materials.

I think a potential forced save after a capture is fine if they went out of their way to add methods to take any randomly caught mon and bring them completely up to speed. The only thing still missing for that is a way to change natures and Hidden Power if we're talking legendaries.
Shiny hunters reset at the start of the battle anyway, and that's already assuming the legendaries won't be shiny locked.

Hey, this is my first message here and I want to say: Pokémon Sword and Shield could be a great video game, especially for the graphism, for me graphism is a good mark for the game has a lot of player, I saw auto-save and I really love it, auto-save make easier the gameplay :) I really like the pokemon design too especially Estagoon and Gossifleur :), and for me the choice is Grookey and Sword :) Sword and Shield could be have a good scenario, and has probably a link with Kalos...

Uh I don`t really mind autosaving as long as you can turn it off, but knowing GF it might not be the case, just like we couldn't shut the damn rotom dex which btw im thankful there's not a entire screen for it to piss players off
It seems likely you probably won't, there are many games where you can't turn autosaving off, and like you said knowing Game Freak they'll make it mandatory because they're out of tune with these kinds of things.

It's somewhat of a miracle we are even getting Auto Saves at all.

My personal gripe would be if it auto saved upon being whited out, I like to save before legendaries and various strong trainers in case I lose so I don't have to go all the way back to where they were.

Again, before going on existential crysis, I'd like to remind you that almost all modern games with Autosave have it as *separate* save file from the actual save file, so I would like to stop this habit of trying to call doomsday on a unconfirmed feature (sometimes from a unofficial leak) that we know nothing about.

Last edited:

Xucrute

mt tchola
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Again, before going on existential crysis, I'd like to remind you that almost all modern games with Autosave have it as *separate* save file from the actual save file, so I would like to stop this habit of trying to call doomsday on a unconfirmed feature on a unofficial leak that we know nothing about.
Yeah, I don't see that become much of a problem tbh i dont GF would make it auto save after every mon you catch.

On a new note, gosh I'm so in love with Polteageist attack animation, it looks so neat
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/d106yk

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Again, before going on existential crysis, I'd like to remind you that almost all modern games with Autosave have it as *separate* save file from the actual save file, so I would like to stop this habit of trying to call doomsday on a unconfirmed feature (sometimes from a unofficial leak) that we know nothing about.
Yeah we shouldn't worry because Pokémon is well known for allowing multiple save files.

Yeah we shouldn't worry because Pokémon is well known for allowing multiple save files.
aside from the fact Let's Go actually allowed multiple saves (albeith on separate accounts, I suppose), I am amazed by how half of the posts (including yours) basically assume that GF is purposely trying to sabotate their playerbase ... ah whatever, this is a waste of effort, think as you will.
Don't buy the game if you don't like it.

aside from the fact Let's Go actually allowed multiple saves (albeith on separate accounts, I suppose), I am amazed by how half of the posts (including yours) basically assume that GF is purposely trying to sabotate their playerbase ... ah whatever, this is a waste of effort, think as you will.
They don't have a good track record. They still want to hang on to a hideous IV/EV system (that appeals to absolutely no one) with no proper guides to either mechanic in the games. They introduced Super Training only to remove it in Gen 7. LGPE didn't allow you to soft-reset for Mew. You were stuck with whatever shit nature the RNG gave you even though you had to pay 50$/€ to get the said Mew. S/M and the USUM had tedious, unskippable cutscenes before and after you received your starter, which made soft-resetting them pointlessly time consuming. Gens 6 and 7 had very long cutscenes after you were forced to catch the cover legendary, just so that soft-resetting them is as tedious as possible.

I'm quite certain that whenever you receive a Mystery Gift Pokemon or capture a legendary, the game will autosave immediately. Then you're stuck with a Gentle/Lax/Docile-natured Zemazante/Zimazonta (or whatever the new legendaries are called).

They may not be purposely trying to sabotage the players, but that doesn't mean that many of their decisions don't anyway.

I'm quite certain that whenever you receive a Mystery Gift Pokemon or capture a legendary, the game will autosave immediately. Then you're stuck with a Gentle/Lax/Docile-natured Zemazante/Zimazonta (or whatever the new legendaries are called).
If they do this, and those Pokemon end up being usable in a future VGC, I can't wait to hear the die-hard "no Poke-gen" people try and come up with excuses why it's better to play the entire game again to get the nature you want as opposed to just genning it.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm so thankful for the Wi-Fi section so we can clone and... wait... Switch Wi-Fi?

SON OF A [REDACTED]!

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Are there any games with an auto saved system that don’t allow the auto save and manual save to exist separately? Because I believe it’s basically common knowledge to do this in any game

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Are there any games with an auto saved system that don’t allow the auto save and manual save to exist separately? Because I believe it’s basically common knowledge to do this in any game
iirc Fallout: New Vegas does, and it's as annoying as you'd think. Though tbf it's an somewhat older game that probably predates the modern version of auto-save.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)