Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

It appears the Meowth, Pikachu and Eevee are all incapable of evolving. I wonder if this'll mean boosted stats, like Floette-Eternal or of course the partner Pikavee in LGPE.
A Pikachu with Partner Pikachu stats, Light Ball and a G-Max move that lays down unblockable paralysis seems like it could actually be very strong in competitive -- offensively, it would be on par with Zekrom with better speed, and Glare as a non-damage-dependent secondary effect on a powerful damaging move is no joke.

A Pikachu with Partner Pikachu stats, Light Ball and a G-Max move that lays down unblockable paralysis seems like it could actually be very strong in competitive -- offensively, it would be on par with Zekrom with better speed, and Glare as a non-damage-dependent secondary effect on a powerful damaging move is no joke.
And that's assuming it does not get the Partner Moves and the convenient coverage it gets.

STAB Extreme Speed that ignores Defense Boosts? Paralyze equivalent of Scald? Flying-type Iron Head? Special Return?

And of course there's also Eevee's ridiculous support movepool.

Last edited:
Okay so this is an interesting conundrum. As we all know, you csn only gigantimax once per battle, and since everyone can use it, each member on the team is important. The question is are these max moves dominating enough to warrant use as a dedicated gigantimaxer? In doubles, which the game is balanced around competitively, im sure butterfree and the like will cause chaos, but in singles...oof ouch those pesky stealth rocks. Zard and free will need some serious hazard control before they can start up. Pikachu, eevee, and Meowth will probably all have different stats than normal a la lets go, so I'll wait and see what happens with them, but VGC is looking more and more appealing by the day.

The question is are these max moves dominating enough to warrant use as a dedicated gigantimaxer? In doubles, which the game is balanced around competitively, im sure butterfree and the like will cause chaos, but in singles...oof ouch those pesky stealth rocks. Zard and free will need some serious hazard control before they can start up.
Doubles OU did see the rise of Stealth Rock, which might have to do with Kyurem, Zapdos, and Incineroar, though it's still rare in VGC. Max Starfall is a huge concern to most of them as Misty Terrain blocks status, which I imagine it would have been more common in Doubles.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Well, my wish for more Gigantamax forms was granted, albeit with somewhat mixed results. Lemme give my thoughts on these, from personal least to most favorite.

Meowth: This ain't it chief, sorry. It seems they tried too hard to make another epic le funny meme Pokemon like Alolan Exeggutor and failed. I've heard people say it's based on a yokai of some sort, but I'd like confirmation on that. Oh, and it's a shitty pre-order bonus too: Unless it gets boosted stats i.e. Partner Pikachu and Eevee you're basically getting a Meowth that can't evolve with an effect that's useless in an actual competitive battle.

Eevee: This one just feels kinda half-assed designwise. I bet they didn't have any really compelling ideas but had to make this thing as a Let's Go Eevee counterpart to the special Pikachu. Even the G-Max effect feels poorly thought-out: They got a Pokemon with 8 different evolutions of different types and the best they could think of was infatuation? There is one thing I like about it though, which'll I'll describe in the Pikachu entry. Speaking of which...

Oh my! As I was typing, the above twitter post clarified Eevee's Gigantamax design is also based on Gen 1 sprites for it. Frankly I don't really see it as much unlike Pikachu, but hey it makes this a bit better now. Now on to the next section.

Pikachu: Now we're starting with the good ones. This was foretold by the Affleck leak, so no surprise factor here. The guaranteed paralysis effect could actually be really valuable for it as well, especially if it can affect Ground types as well as possibly getting Partner Pikachu stats. And as much as we complain about nostalgia-pandering in this franchise, adopting the OG fat Pikachu is a really cute homage.

But my favorite thing about this guy and Eevee? They're SAVE FILE BONUSES! I can't even remember the last time something like this has been done in a videogame period. These were the raddest shit whenever they showed up in a game, like in Mario Kart Wii where having a Super Mario Galaxy save file would get you Rosalina as a playable character. Granted, they weren't even that common back then, but nowadays it's basically unheard of unless there's a bunch of obscure examples I'm not aware of. In this case, it's almost like a happy compromise to make sure the Partner Pokemon themselves can't be removed from their home games and given broken items like Light Ball or Eeveelutions with Partner Eevee moves while still having a way for the LGPE players who grew a bond with them to carry them into SWSH. Good job handling these two, GF!

Charizard: Holy crap, the Champion's non-Galar native ace got access to this gen's form changing gimmick (this is the part where you gasp in shock)! Jokes aside, he's a cool dude. As I type, his design is growing on me a lot, and I think what does it his how his body is proportioned to make him look really chunky and monstrous, it's giving me some serious Kraid/King K. Rool vibes. That weird pattern on his belly, the jagged teeth and the flaming wings are also nice touches that complete this rather frightening look. The only thing I'm concerned about is the competitive applications of his G-Max move: The passive damage better be pretty substantial, otherwise it seems like you'd be better off running regular Dynamax with Solar Power for Sun-boosted fire nukes.

Butterfree: In this conga line of popular Pokemon, Butterfree is a rather pleasant surprise and my personal favorite of the bunch. Not only is his design simple but elegant, but G-Max Befuddle (good name btw) looks hilarious, especially in Doubles. Of course it's still Butterfree so it's stats hold it back a fair bit, but this could be a killer QD sweeper in lower tiers assuming luck is on the user's side.

So yeah, pretty ok batch of Gigantamax forms. I wouldn't take the focus on popular Gen 1 Pokemon too seriously: This is the 30th anniversary trailer, so I guess they figured "hey let's focus on our icons". And considering how relatively secretive they've been with new info, there could be plenty more goodies for other mons they haven't shown us yet: Remember, the last Gigantamax trailer was the reveal of the mechanic with Galar Pokemon over 3 months ago.

But my favorite thing about this guy and Eevee? They're SAVE FILE BONUSES! I can't even remember the last time something like this has been done in a videogame period.
This actually has been done very recently with these very games: in Smash Ultimate, you got a Partner Eevee and/or Partner Pikachu spirit if you had save data of the corresponding Let's Go game. They were added to the game normally after about 3 months though, and I imagine you'll be able to get Gigantamax Pikachu and Eevee through some other method later; same with Meowth. Likely a third version.

I wonder if the special Eevee, Pikachu, and Meowth will be usable in VGC and Battlespot ( Or home, or whatever the new one is called ). I’m leaning towards no because they can only be obtained via event, but the TPC is so loose on how address the line between banned thanks to lack of accessibility and allowed due to be easy to obtain, I would not be surprised if they were permitted.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't like cutting off the evolutions. Raichu and Persian pretty much go in the same direction as their earlier forms, so I would lean towards boosting them instead of meowth/pikachu. After all, we talk about charizard, not charmander. It's possible they could make the stats distinct for the unevolvable mons, but precedent suggests they won't. And an Eevee that cannot evolve is just wrong.

Thanks but I hate it.

I don't mind the designs (Pikachu and Charizard are cool concepts), but I'm bored with Gen1 pandering. I don't really care about dyna/gigantamaxing either.
Exactly
I mean, they are among the laziest designs I have seen in the series but the gen 1 pandering is so much more annoying that I dont even mind them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)