Terrakion

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Attack on Par with Garchomp (pretty much)
Speed on Par with Infernape
Defenses BETTER than Machamp (+Sp.DEF Boost in Sand)
Near-Perfect coverage STAB on Rock and Fighting
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Resists SR

Power Creep much?

Attack on Par with Garchomp (pretty much)
Speed on Par with Infernape
Defenses BETTER than Machamp (+Sp.DEF Boost in Sand)
Near-Perfect coverage STAB on Rock and Fighting
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Resists SR

Power Creep much?
And you forgot Rock Polish. Don't worry in Gen VI he'll be power creeped by someone else.

Priority ruins Terakion, basically, but, if you remove Priority [Which is everywhere in Gen 5], Terakion will destroy basically anything in his way if he gets the chance to set up [I'm of firm opinion Terakion should prioritise Rock Polish over Swords Dance, he hits hard as it is, and needs the speed against things like Starmie and Dory.]

Terakion also loses quite badly to Dory, a fellow benificier of SandStorm. While you could run them together, they both basically do the same thing, and Dory's just faster :/

when you have rock and fighting STABS, why need coverage?

TERAKION @Life Orb/Lefties
Justice Heart
252 ATK/252 SPE/4 HP
-Rock Polish
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

Yes, I copied this from the Smogcast, but I like the idea.

I run CB Terakion, he's amazing mid-game. A SD/RP set doesn't look as good to me. The dual STAB basically guarantees heavy damage.

i use scarf terakion and in sandstorm it can take some pretty hard special hits and still plow through teams. holy sword/cc/stone edge/eq. a revenge killer that can't be revenged by chomp is pretty sweet i must say

Yes but that could be worked to your advantage.One Lure out Mach Punchers for the either and then trap it or something.Also Terakion can easily muscle through some of Dories checks such as Gliscor,Hippowdon,Skarmory etc while Dory can beat faster stuff for SD Terakion.
The biggest drawback i see is probably the really crappy synergy

I think this thread is excellent, and I hope to get around to trying this guy out soon. He seems like a top-notch physical sweeper, and his bulk behind screens and in sandstorm would be a nice help.

I used RP Terakion, and this thing hits surprisingly hard. Even some pokes i believed it could survive a Close Combat... doesn't (Garchomp barely survives one for example. I think one simple layer of Spikes is enough for Tera to get the OHKO, correct me if i'm wrong).

Swords Dance isn't that needed IMO. Better using Birijion (yeah, i'm crazy) for that task (using both RP Terakion and SD Birijion is funny, i tell you).

It's not like he has much else to run anyway. the only thing I can think of is substitute or something for goruggo.

I'm seeing hw good this thing is and i'm really tempted to run a double dance set.
Terakion@ Ballon
36\252\220 Adamant
Rock polish
Close combat\ Sacred sword
Stone edge
Swords dance

Now when running this I must ask myself, who will aid his sweep? I mean, other then Goruggo or NidoK\Q there isn't mush that counters him, and what he hates the most is priority. So you need to take care of Scizor, Rupooshin, Breloom, Hitmontop, Azumarill... Also I find it hard to pair him up with pokes without having overlapping weaknesses.
I say Spikes is the way to go, especially with sacred sword. If you only put 96 speed points (to outspeed Dory, and he can also set up on him), you can even shrug off a BP from Scizor, and no -defs is helpfull for that. If you go for Sacred sword, then you need Spikes.
well, thats all I have to say for now...

I love this guy to death....but DAMN priority sucks so much. Seriously rock has got to be the worst defensive type in the game....man. Maybe use a chople berry? I dunno the only times I don't face rohpushin/breloom I face scizor :(. Thank god for shandera :)

Just posting to say that Scarf Terakion is the #1 Rayquaza Counter/Revenge-killer in Ubers. It also maims a lot of other shit too.

actually try chople berry terakion. A) it's better than balloon cuz you don't tell the enemy you have it and B) you can feint scarf. Oh with the right ev's you can survive ditto's CC and KO him back :) Always good to counter ditto.

I know Terakion is a good pokemon, but he doesn't seem to gel with me. I tried a Rock Polish set with Life Orb, CC, SE, Taunt and it just wasn't that useful for me. I suppose the fact that I have a Roopushin with Stone Edge and I don't run a Sandstorm team makes him redundant and slightly less effective. He has the stats and STABS to just bulldoze many teams, I guess I just wasn't playing him very effectively. Hopefully everyone else has better luck with him than I did.

I know Terakion is a good pokemon, but he doesn't seem to gel with me. I tried a Rock Polish set with Life Orb, CC, SE, Taunt and it just wasn't that useful for me. I suppose the fact that I have a Roopushin with Stone Edge and I don't run a Sandstorm team makes him redundant and slightly less effective. He has the stats and STABS to just bulldoze many teams, I guess I just wasn't playing him very effectively. Hopefully everyone else has better luck with him than I did.
i think with all the priority running around that terakion is weak to a setup set isn't as effective as it could be.

scarf terakion has been working great for me -shrug- but it's just not for everyone :p

i think with all the priority running around that terakion is weak to a setup set isn't as effective as it could be.
I've seen quite a few of these guys and never once have I been swept. He's too weak to priority. I just switch to Scizor or Rohpushin on the Rock Polish/ Swords Dance and he can't do anything.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Priority ruins Terakion, basically, but, if you remove Priority [Which is everywhere in Gen 5], Terakion will destroy basically anything in his way if he gets the chance to set up [I'm of firm opinion Terakion should prioritise Rock Polish over Swords Dance, he hits hard as it is, and needs the speed against things like Starmie and Dory.]

Terakion also loses quite badly to Dory, a fellow benificier of SandStorm. While you could run them together, they both basically do the same thing, and Dory's just faster :/
You have shot down your own argument in one statement. If he is destroyed by priority, than there are opponents from which he must run from no matter what.

Therefore, Terrakion is best built for Wall Breaking, not Setup-Sweep. 108 speed is excellent for Wall Breaking, as Infernape proved many times last generation. Most likely it will be going for strategies where it can spam its STABs rather than try to setup.

In the face of superior priority users, I'm not convinced of Rock Polish's value. He hits hard, but his power and coverage is not invincible.

Well i just tried out CB Terakion and its fun fun fun.Like Chou said i pretty much always found myself just Spamming attacks instead of setting up due to the ever so common priority and Ditto.And its been working great.As i use him in my sand team basicly you just bring him on a Special attack or some sort of resisted attack and just Spam CC it pretty much 2hk0s everything.
I always found Shandera to be a good partner to him taking out Dittos and The Mach Punchers.They both do struggle aginst Dory however.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fear of priority is just your paranoia speaking. For one, Breloom and Scizor, simply aren't on every team. And when they are, on top of being huge Shandera targets, the threat of Terakion having set up means you can head straight to your Mach Punch/Bullet Punch resist for lol damage. Breloom really can't do anything to Gliscor, Gyarados, or Zapdos, and neither can Scizor for that matter. If you want a good Terakion partner, something fairly bulky with wings us already a decent start.

Revenge setup on Overheat is the easiest way to get a Rock Polish up, so really, Shandera should be working in your favor. If Sandstorm is up, you don't really have to worry about it at all.

Speaking of weather, at +2 Speed, practically nothing is faster than him, so under the right conditions, he can run over a well-prepared Sand team. Other weather teams may not be present on the Wifi meta as of yet, but rest assured he cuts NO slack whatsoever to Rain and Sun teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)